Where Did You Sleep Last Night?

Last night, after watching a rather unfortunate comeback by the Sens against the Pens, I listened to Nirvana's MTV Unplugged in New York. Young Mike likely would have spun Nevermind or In Utero, but yesterday I was craving the acoustic performance taped at Sony Music Studios in New York City on November 18, 1993.

All of Nirvana's MTV Unplugged in New York is amazing, but it closes with a mind blowing cover of "Where Did You Sleep Last Night". It still blows my mind. Here it is:

"Where Did You Sleep Last Night" is an old folk song that dates back to the 1870s when it was better known as "In the Pines." We don't know who wrote it, but we know whose rendition Nirvana was interpreting. That would be Lead Belly's 1944 rendition.

Argie

Being a Bowie fan I always liked their version of "The Man Who Sold the World."

April 8, 2015 @ 9:52 AM

Al The Royal Pain

That little pause and breath he takes right at the end right after he purposefully cracks his voice is a perfect example of Cobain's intensity while performing. He didn't need to always be screaming to achieve it.

April 8, 2015 @ 10:16 AM

Mrmojorisinca

this is really good set they did..those unplugged sessions were awesome

April 8, 2015 @ 11:45 AM

Mrmojorisinca

this is really good set they did..those unplugged sessions were awesome

April 8, 2015 @ 11:45 AM

Mookie

I find myself doing the same thing and listening to both the Nirvana and PJ unplugged more often...Every time I do I can't help but think what sort of effect Kurt would have had on music in the last 20+ years had things not ended so horribly. Would he have continued to put out relevant music (like I'd like to think PJ has continued to do...)?

Unfortunately we will never know. Very sad.

I guess one thing is we would not have had to suffer through any Foo Fighter albums...

April 8, 2015 @ 12:27 PM

@Al The Royal Pain

I just read that interview and tweeted this very fact.

But the more I think about it, it's most likely you wouldn't "love" your dad's band. You can respect and admire the music, but to love it like as a fan would be weird.

It's best she stick with Oasis.

April 8, 2015 @ 2:08 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Very true. My own kids fail to see how cool it is that their dad plays in a rock band.

April 8, 2015 @ 2:15 PM

Al The Royal Pain

I just realized that I read that article because of the link you posted on Twitter and then posted the link back here on your blog. LOL!

Now that's what I call a social media circle jerk!

April 8, 2015 @ 2:17 PM

@Al The Royal Pain

That's the circle of life...

April 8, 2015 @ 2:23 PM

Eekan Boo

Fantastic Sens comeback, so satisfying to watch exciting, relevant hockey. Not relevant; PJ. I say that as a fan, the band has lost their creative mojo ( my opinion).

April 8, 2015 @ 2:35 PM

@Eekan Boo

Pittsburgh is my 2nd favourite team, and the Sens are my 2nd least favourite team, so I watched an illegal stream via Chromecast and settled in to watch the Pens beat the Sens. I still can't believe the Sens came back... Great game, though.

How long ago was "Just Breathe"? That was a gem of a track... also the procession song at my recent wedding.

April 8, 2015 @ 2:39 PM

Mrmojorisinca

@ Eekan Boo..
each album PJ has released has had at least a couple good tracks..but PJ mojo isn't the studio..never has been as far back as Yield..it the live show..which is top notch if you like straight up rock and roll live.
@Mookie..is your handle based on PJ or the basketball player? or the baseball player?

April 8, 2015 @ 2:42 PM

@Mrmojorisinca

Before he answers... I'm gonna bet Mookie's handle is inspired by Mookie Wilson.

April 8, 2015 @ 2:44 PM

Mrmojorisinca

could be his name though :)

April 8, 2015 @ 2:49 PM

Mrmojorisinca

in fact I could use a good PJ show :) but since they don't seem to be coming this way any time soon I guess I'll break out the bootlegs :)

April 8, 2015 @ 2:52 PM

Mookie is never a given name, always a nickname!

April 8, 2015 @ 2:58 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Lake Of Fire is another good tune on that album.

April 8, 2015 @ 3:03 PM

this guest

Ok. LeadBelly is great.

April 8, 2015 @ 3:13 PM

Mookie

Always is correct. Mookie = Blaylock. From Seattle, so borrowing from my favorite PJ. Starbuck seemed like a really lame handle...

And yes I still find PJ relevant. And agree, the live show is fantastic.

But I guess with Mookie's legal troubles, let's just say it's Wilson...

April 8, 2015 @ 4:16 PM

Although I haven't seen Pearl Jam live in six years, I used to see them often. 7 times, to be exact: http://www.torontomike.com/pearljam.html

An incredible band live, and one of my top two.

April 8, 2015 @ 4:23 PM

Eekan Boo

Mrmojorisinca: live PJ is "the bomb" (my kids use that term, please don't tell them I'm using it). Amphitheatre shows are always "mandatory attendance", other local venues are on a "if possible basis". Fk, now I'm jonesing for a summer night PJ event!

April 8, 2015 @ 5:44 PM

Handsome Rob

The nirvana album and claptons were in my opinion the best of the "unplugged" albums. I remember learning all those songs on guitar after the album came out. So many great tracks. That version of WDYSLN was a killer! So so good.

And I think both the Foos and PJ are relevant.

April 8, 2015 @ 8:14 PM

Mike from Lowville

@ this guest.... LeadBelly is not only great, he is a legend......if it wasn't for the old blues masters and the jazz masters what would we be listening to now?

April 9, 2015 @ 6:57 AM

Al The Royal Pain

@Handsome Rob

That Clapton Unplugged album was the soundtrack of my summer the year it was released. In my first (of many) pizza delivery jobs, I would put that album on as we cleaned the restaurant after we closed at 3 am. Just relistened to it recently on Spotify and it took me back.

April 9, 2015 @ 9:55 AM

Al The Royal Pain

@Handsome Rob

April 9, 2015 @ 9:55 AM

Handsome Rob

@Al
It was my #1 album for a good solid year, and even before it came out too. The show aired on MTV in the states month before the album came out. I had a friend of my sisters who had one of those giant satellite dishes record it on VHS for me. Then I dubbed it to tape. I think there were about 7-8 tracks broadcast from the show.

The recent digital re-release offered a few extra track, and some alternate takes.

April 9, 2015 @ 12:07 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Not really into Eric Clapton, I like a few tunes but that's about it. My mom loved that unplugged album though and played the hell of it in 92 when it first came out.

April 9, 2015 @ 1:26 PM

Mrmojorisinca

@ Eekan Boo and Mookie..
I agree PJ is still relevant as long as they are recording and more importantly touring..I've been to over 20 shows..might be close to 30 now..and each time is amazing..
Meeting at the loose moose before every Toronto show are always great too..thing about PJ is also the fans you meet before, during and after the show..
the last show I saw in London I thought was going to be different because it had been awhile and well the regular people I go with are off on different adventures now but it was like seeing an old friend, always great to see and very emotional :) oh and KICK ASS! :)

I've been listening to alot of Jack White and Black Keys and more Blues (Lead Belly will be added to that mix now) rare Zeppelin stuff and also Gary Clark Jr now..what everyone listening to these days..looking forward to the next wave of good Rock and Roll music..

April 9, 2015 @ 3:11 PM