My Losing Picks for 2015

Yesterday, our long-time annual tradition continued as we collected to draft players for our NHL playoff pool. Although my digital records only go back to 2003, we've been drafting together since the 90s.

Over so many years of participating, you'd think I'd accidentally win once or twice. Instead, I lose... every single year. I've finished second a couple of times, but I've never, ever won.

Here's the team that will lose for me this year. If you're following along at home, all that matters is points. A point is a point is a point.

• R. Getzlaf - ANA
  • Z. Parise - MIN
  • R. Kesler - ANA
  • J. Pominville - MIN
  • J. Hudler - CGY
  • T. Vanek - MIN
  • S. Vatanen - ANA
  • C. Kunitz - PIT
  • J. Silfverberg - ANA
  • C. Fowler - ANA

Ace

Playoff pools are definitely more luck than skill. As you have done with your picks, you basically have to pick a few teams, load up with their players, and hope they are the ones that go deep. If Minny and the Ducks make the conference final, you're golden. If not, you're done.

The wide open, defensively-deficient Eastern Conference may yield higher scores so I'm surprised you loaded up on two Western teams, but again it's a total crapshoot. Good luck!

April 14, 2015 @ 10:48 AM

@Ace

If I had first pick overall, I was going to draft Toews. My second pick was always Ryan Getzlaf, so I grabbed him and once I had him it just made sense to add Ducks.

The Wild thing, in hindsight, but not have been wise, as I should have gone with an Eastern Conference team, but I just have this feeling about the Wild...

But like you said, most series this year are a toss-up. It's never been this wide open.

April 14, 2015 @ 10:59 AM

Douglas

You're in deep doo-doo if the Jets win. Listening to various pundits yesterday, that is a distinct possibility, although it will take six or seven games to do it.

I grew up with the original Winnipeg Jets, meeting Bobby Hull numerous times, and playing road hockey with one of the third-string goalies. Jets 1.1 had a rough run in the NHL - not unexpected. Arizona needs to stop bailing out the Coyotes with taxpayer money and let the team go where they will be supported, in a hockey culture city/region and climate, and maybe even be winners.

April 14, 2015 @ 11:56 AM

Your Ottawa Friend

If you look at the people who have won the pool in the past (Pops, Mofo, Steve), they load up on 2-3 teams maximum.

You picked too many players from too many Western conference teams. Even if ANA does well, it means that your other picks don't do well (Hudler, thanks for blocking me), which means you will be mediocre or at best 2nd place.

Sorry man, just trying to help.

Go Sens Go! :)

April 14, 2015 @ 2:39 PM

@Douglas

Last year I was in deep doo-doo if the Blues lost early. The rest, is history.

April 14, 2015 @ 2:41 PM

dale

I've won a few regular season & playoff pools the last few years. In the playoffs never ever stack 1 team as you did & you only have 1 east conference player (who got in on a last place seed).

A top scorer on a team that may win 1 round is better than a 3rd or 4th line player that only plays 10-12 minutes per game.

1st pick you picked Getzlaf? 2nd & 3rd people picking must have soiled their pants when you picked him.

Good Luck - you're only hope is Anaheim going 2 or 3 rounds as everyone else you picked is "crap". Tarasenko would have been my 1st pick.

April 14, 2015 @ 6:26 PM

Not Dave Nonis

I think your team looks perfect.

April 14, 2015 @ 6:31 PM

Not Steven Stamkos

Steven Stamkos will win the playoff scoring race

April 14, 2015 @ 7:09 PM