Things I Preach Annoyingly Often

Knowing your faults is key. I'm far from perfect, but I recognize that. I say "buddin" instead of "button", for example. I also promote a few thing to an extent that some could rightly regard as annoying.

Here are three things I annoyingly preach. I'm sure there's more, but we'll start with these three...

The French Press

Keurig this and Tassimo that, everybody seems to have a favourite pod-based coffee. Then there's the set that like to buy their coffee, and they're all Starbucks this and Tim Hortons that. It all seems so wasteful, soulless and expensive to me. I've been brewing my coffee with a French Press for a decade and I doubt I'll ever stop. It's cheaper, tastier, and awfully annoying when I espouse the virtues of my French Press. Try French Press coffee and do it yourself.

The Wire

So you love The Good Wife, do you? Have you seen The Wire? The Wire is the greatest television show ever produced, did you know that? You have to see The Wire. Why haven't you seen The Wire yet? The Wire is the best. See The Wire.

Cycling

It's -20 out? Damn right I'm still biking. Stuck in traffic on the Gardiner Expressway? I recommend biking. It burns fat, costs little and revitalizes your brain waves. I've got a meeting at Yonge and Dundas tonight, and I'm biking there. Buy a bike and start riding!

Jason from Sudbury

@Toronto Mike: The flu shot could easily rank right up there with cycling and the wire. While I do remember you talking about your French press a bit, I'm pretty sure you preach more about the flu shot. Also, I'm all about energy drinks and don't drink coffee, so I usually never pay too too much attention to the coffee threads.

March 12, 2015 @ 1:34 PM

@Jason from Sudbury

Sure, but I see promoting the flu shot like promoting brushing your teeth every day and not sharing needles.

March 12, 2015 @ 1:36 PM

Steve from the Hammer

Your podcast with Strombo......which is totally justifiable along with many others :)

March 12, 2015 @ 2:01 PM

H

Mike, you are so right about coffee. We use either a French Press or a Grind and Brew coffee maker and the coffee is so much better than those awful pods.

March 12, 2015 @ 3:29 PM

m m

Because of you, I will actually start watching The Wire. First I have to wean off House of Cards, Better Call Saul, and Game of Thrones.

March 12, 2015 @ 3:37 PM

markosaar

I like French press coffee, but I love pour-over coffee so much more. Ultimate method for me. I use a simple Melitta, but coffee-snobs endorse the Hario V60. $20. Chemex's are a popular brand for larger quantities.

I'd like to try an Aeropress, but I'm in a place where I can't afford to buy random gadgets.

Pod coffee is the fucking worst,

March 12, 2015 @ 8:40 PM

Jillian

Mike- how long does it take to make a french press coffee? I've heard it's the best coffee but takes a long time to make.

March 12, 2015 @ 10:18 PM

Once the water is boiled, it takes less than five minutes.

March 13, 2015 @ 8:14 AM

Il Duce

Without the Soprano's there is NO 'The Wire'. Soprano's will always be the best TV show of all time... The Wire is in the top 5, no doubt.

... and you're a tool for biking at night.

March 13, 2015 @ 1:33 PM

@Il Duce

I loved The Sopranos, too.

And I have a front and rear lighting system on my bike.

March 13, 2015 @ 1:35 PM

Icarus

Without Goodfellas there would have been no Sopranos.

March 13, 2015 @ 10:59 PM

markosaar

@Toronto Mike,

What do you do to get rid of the grinds in the press? I find them to be a bit of a pain to deal with considering they shouldn't go down the drain.

Thought I'd google a bit before asking here. I see people suggesting they go into rose-gardens (or plants that like acidic soil), drying out the remainder overnight, etc.

I dump what I can into the garbage, and hope it doesn't leak. The rest goes down the drain. Unless the compost is going out immediately, the grinds/liquid seems to eat through those shitty green bags rather quickly.

March 15, 2015 @ 2:59 PM

Cambo

The French Press is awesome. Our only issue is that it's a weekend thing. During the week, we use the timer feature on our drip. Don't have a Keurig/Tassimo and have no inkling to buy one. I think they're an environmental nightmare. Even the K-Cup inventor regrets his invention - http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-wednesday-edition-1.2981396/k-cup-inventor-regrets-creating-non-recyclable-keurig-coffee-pod-1.2983243 . I had a K-Cup coffee once... took a sip and threw the rest. Most awful taste. But what do you expect for something made in a minute.

@Markosaar

Once the grinds are finished, we find there's very little water left in them, so we take the filter and grinds and just put them in compost. We buy the compostable bags from Costco and never had a leak- at least none that we can attribute to the grinds. I think there's even recipes to turn it into fertilizer for gardens and pots.

March 16, 2015 @ 2:47 PM