Tuesday Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Tuesday Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Ben V

I know Markosaar and myself both pointed this out in the last Open Mike, but I still can't get over the lack of journalistic integrity The Star showed in that ignorant piece they published on "the dark side of Gardasil".

I don't get visibly riled up about much, but the fear mongering they caused as a result of ineptitude in journalism is astounding. I still can't believe the editor let that article make it into the newspaper.

The most terrible part is what they wrote feeds into the whack jobs who already are anti vaccine to begin with. I saw a little news except that California sent out a public health message for looney tune parents to stop having "Measles Parties". A party in which parents purposely expose their kids to measles....

In other news Luis "The Biter" Suarez scored a fantastic goal this past weekend in soccer. Too bad he's a head case.

February 17, 2015 @ 8:53 AM

Amy

Mike: Any chance Spirit of Radio becomes an 88.1 show?

I miss it.

February 17, 2015 @ 9:08 AM

Sam in Pickering

Lyle Lovitz RIP.

February 17, 2015 @ 9:09 AM

Sam in Pickering

I mean Jon Lovitz RIP!

And that's how you mess up a joke. :(

February 17, 2015 @ 9:10 AM

Lynne

@ Sam - I got it anyway. (BTW that's what I usually do to a joke.) Good one.

February 17, 2015 @ 9:13 AM

Sam in Pickering

@Lynne

I planned that comment since Sunday and still blew the punch line. Sigh.

February 17, 2015 @ 9:18 AM

Lyle Lanley

I enjoyed the SNL special and I miss Phil Hartman.

February 17, 2015 @ 9:25 AM

Podcast Listener

Why is Alan Cross begging for money for his podcast?

February 17, 2015 @ 9:39 AM

Podcast Listener

Doesn't Alan Cross have many paying jobs? He's at 102.1, he's the new ACC sound person, he's everywhere it seems. Why beg for money to do the podcast, which is also on 1010?

Mike, if you wanted to beg for money to do your podcast, it would make sense. But you don't. Yet Alan Cross does. Reeks of desperation.

February 17, 2015 @ 9:43 AM

Cheryl

How about those Habs. Shutout for Carey Price. We all know he is the best goalie there is these days. My Coyotes didn't do so well though. Anyway, my trainer is in the semifinal tonight. Just two more games and they win Major League. The Brier is coming up really soon. Can't wait for Kean to win the Brier and more money. I just know that will happen.

February 17, 2015 @ 9:59 AM

Lynne

@Sam - so it goes...

February 17, 2015 @ 10:13 AM

Lorne

@Ben: I'm on the same page with you re: the horrific and shameful report from The Star. Worse is that it's so damn out of place. They normally do good enough journalism and investigation. I don't know how that pseudo-science fear mongering shit got past any editors on any level.

I know mistakes happen at papers. Literally the only thing the Star can and SHOULD do at this point is a front-page retraction of the story, publication of the refutation of it by scientists (on the front page, not in "opinions"). Basically a "mea culpa", admit the mistake, and try to minimize the damage they've caused.

February 17, 2015 @ 10:22 AM

Broni

@ Podcast Listener
I have not listened to Alan Cross's podcast, but why can't he ask for money to operate it? Why should he provide content for free?
If he chooses to provide listenable content that people enjoy, he should have the choice to run advertising or do a fundraising drive to support it financially.
And, whether he has multiple other revenue streams is irrelevant. If any of us wish to take on projects on top of our other paying jobs, we are under no obligation to do so for free.

February 17, 2015 @ 10:54 AM

Drunk Johnny Fever

I pvr'ed SNL 40 th on Sunday.I figured 3 1/2 hours was much to much to watch at one time.
Monday morning i decided to watch an hour of it.Make a long story short ended up watching the whole thing and it was Excellent.Usually long shows like that drag on but this did not at all.Lots of chuckles and lots that I had forgotten about.

Also,my condolences to the surviving members of the Jon Lovitz family.

February 17, 2015 @ 12:06 PM

I didn't realize the Star's correction of the Gardasil story appeared below the fold on the front page. I agree, they need to make a lot more noise about how dangerously wrong they were to publish that article.

February 17, 2015 @ 12:07 PM

I actually watched all 3.5 hours of the SNL tribute on Sunday night and loved it.

I couldn't ask for anything more. So much sweet nostalgia!

February 17, 2015 @ 12:08 PM

Eekan Boo

Alan Cross is a big girl's blouse.

A career made of spewing rumour, gossip and trivia and professing his desire to fellate any/all members of U2. All you sheep who have supported this drivel thus far, go on, send your money to this latest scam.

February 17, 2015 @ 12:14 PM

If someone wants to ask for money to support his/her podcast, that's fine because you can then choose to contribute or not and listen or not.

I'm not sure where all the Alan Cross hate comes from. All he does is tell interesting stories. He's got a good delivery, too. I wish I sounded like that.

February 17, 2015 @ 2:28 PM

Irv

If you use Gmail on your mobile phone/smart phone, do this

Go here https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/b/0
click on it.
If it asks you to log in, login.

Does it show you your history of where you have traveled recently0

February 17, 2015 @ 2:36 PM

Lorne

@Irv: No location history for me, but I've spent time combing through the phone and disallowing location data everywhere I can. And installed XPrivacy to deny permissions with a fine grain.

February 17, 2015 @ 2:53 PM

Irv

This seems to work better with Android than iPhone (or so it seems so far). It looks like it defaults to "ON" which is classic Google (and why I use no Google products). So far a few people have said it has mapped their entire day (where they drove, walked, etc). There is a flaw in Chrome that lets you view the passwords of websites you save your password on. In plaintext. All you need is the login password to the machine.

February 17, 2015 @ 3:06 PM

this guest

Ran into a couple of friends at the
Douglas Copeland exhibition at MOCCA this weekend.
Great place to spend a couple hours getting warm.
Or cool in a sweltering summer.
Very thought provoking exhibit. Funny actually.
Looks like he'll be talking at the ROM on
the 24th. For 'Cocktails and
Helvitica.' This is meant to be
ironic concerning Helvitica font I gather.

I draw the line at vaccine shots at Dollarama.
When those start I'm switching to garlic
and a wooden cross.

I wish I could get back every minute I spent
arguing about Rob Ford. And world politics.
One can discover terrible things about every
government in the world at any time in history.
Maybe it's better to surprise your mother
with a visit.

February 17, 2015 @ 3:49 PM

Ben V

Not only is she amazing in House of Lies, but she stands for something as well. Doesn't have a problem alienating friends who don't believe in vaccinations.

Bravo!

February 17, 2015 @ 4:35 PM

Cheryl

Well, a change to the Brier pool. People changed their minds and didn't want to be in it. Anyway, fewer people are in the pool so I get to pick two teams as everyone has two teams so chances of winning are better. Only one team can win, but either one of my two teams wins and I get the money. I have Kean and Menard. Either one of those teams wins and I get the money.

February 17, 2015 @ 4:53 PM

Eekan Boo

Mike: I don't "hate" Cross. Life is too short, hate is a waste of energy.

The guy's making a living, good on him. In my opinion he is a charlatan, repackaging info from a wide range of other media outlets. But no one is getting hurt and we are all free to choose.

February 17, 2015 @ 5:04 PM

@Eekan Boo

I said "Alan Cross hate" as an expression. I didn't think you hated him.

He's not my bud, he even ended our podcast episode together to take a call, but I think he's a lousy target of disdain because he does tell interesting stories about the music when so few do so. Someone needs to tie info from all sources into one digestible and appealing package.

February 17, 2015 @ 5:15 PM

this guest

If this is as good as it sounds it's rather amazing and gives
one hope: A Dutch start-up called Plant-e has developed
a way to use living plants as a continuous source of clean energy
– all that’s needed is a light source, carbon dioxide, water,
and, of course, a field or patch of plants.

February 17, 2015 @ 5:39 PM

Lynne

@this guest

The Douglas Coupland exhibition is very tempting - free, and not far from my home. Thanks for the info. "Gumhead" outside the Vancouver Art Gallery is quite wonderful.

I can really relate to: "I miss my pre-internet brain". I think of all the books I might have read, friends I might have chatted with, or walks I might have enjoyed in the last 17 years. It's pretty sad....

February 17, 2015 @ 7:32 PM

Rick C in Oakville

I enjoy the Geeks and Beats podcast, even bought 2 mugs, well first one was porcelin and lasted about a month before I dropped it. To each his own, I guess, enjoy the gossipy stuff, and really can't think of anything on demand that matches it. Plus they are local, not interested in Hollywood type shows like Casey Kasems or Ryan Seacrests or TMZ shows. Have followed Alan his whole career, so just natural for me to follow another production of his.

February 17, 2015 @ 7:55 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Meant to comment on the Star's shoddy article. Just what the anti vaxxers needed was another shoddy article for their talk show circuit arsenal. With all the issues with Measles vaccinations (well lack of) the timing couldn't have been worse for getting the proper message out.

February 17, 2015 @ 7:59 PM

this guest

@ Lynne,

Yes! When George Harrison sang 'turn off your mind, relax and float downstream...' it was actually possible. :- )

email acct. 1. check. email acct. 2. check. linkedin. check. facebook. check. blogville. check. research daily atrocities. check. argue online. check. turn off mind and float downstream for one metre. check. email acct. 1. check. email acct.2. check.............

February 17, 2015 @ 9:12 PM

this guest

turn off your mind, relax and float downstream for another half-metre then click on this:
POOR JUDGEMENT – The psychiatrist, his bipolar patient and their hair salon enterprise

February 17, 2015 @ 9:20 PM

andrew

Do I throw my Leaf jersey on the ice when the Leafs are winning or losing?
It's my son's Colby Armstrong jersey. A pitiful, shameful, embarrassment & joke of a team most of us call "Leafs Nation".

Going to a game next week - freebies from work 1st time in 5 years.

Maybe stay home instead, sell or give away tickets as I don't really want to spend $ for parking, food, bevvies, etc.
Would give tiks to my son but he has mid term exam the next day doesn't want to go for same reasons.

Go Jets Go

February 17, 2015 @ 9:29 PM

Andrew

@ Cheryl: Neither of those two teams will be in the finals. I'm going with a Koe / Gushue final. Great story that Kean made it, but I'm not holding hope. Menard did not play well last year in Kamploops.

@ TorontoMike and @ Eekan Boo: I've known Alan and Mike for over 20 years each. Both are great people and their companies aren't paying for the podcast, nor are they making any money from having the podcast air on the Bell Media network. Knowing both of them and their senses of humour, it almost has become a running joke - yes, they'd like to make some $$ to pay for hosting, etc, but they aren't making much.

Moose Jaw is an interesting place. They don't plough their snow. It's nuts! People are really friendly and the venue is beautiful. The curling has been on and off. The strong teams are doing well and the rest are muddling about. Home Friday for a week before the Brier. Can't wait for some downtime.

Cheers,
Andrew

February 17, 2015 @ 9:35 PM

Javed Jafri

@This Guest
'turn off your mind, relax and float downstream" was actually a John Lennon Lyric.

Tomorrow Never Knows inspired by The Tibetan Book of The Dead. The prominent sitar used on the track was likely played by George Harrison though.

February 17, 2015 @ 10:58 PM

Jason from Sudbury

@Andrew: You sure you wanna throw that jersey on the ice and chance getting arrested? lol

February 18, 2015 @ 8:23 AM

Irv

@Andrew

Not plowing snow is commonplace in most Western Canadian cities. In Calgary they don't plow many residential & side streets. I think it was last winter some people were snowed in for days in the city because their road was blocked. Edmonton is even worse. Only major roads get it and that can take days. I used to start my day driving down 83rd Ave to 109th Street. It was a one way street & consisted of 2 ruts where your tires went. They also don't clean sidewalks either, that's up to the business or the resident. A fun snow day in Edmonton is either heavy snow or ice fog. As people come from the south side to get into downtown, they go into the river valley. Problem is often they can't get back up the other side. Cars literally slide backward down the road.

People take it (and winter) in stride. In Edmonton we'd have ice fog days and all be on the Henday going to work. You'd be crawling along at 2 km per hour to get off the road. Often you'd play bumper cars where you'd hit someone or someone would hit you. People get out, look and wave it off. My insurance rates with no collisions or claims on a small Toyota were about $245 a month too. You get a chuckle out of the whole "cold weather alert" at -15C. The definition of "cold as motherfucking hell" is a cold day with a good wind anywhere on a prairie.

February 18, 2015 @ 9:19 AM

Cheryl

Goody, the Leafs lost last night. Habs will win tonight. Yes, either Kean or Menard will win the Brier. I'm winning the money again. I just know that will happen. Don't doubt them yet. The Brier hasn't even started yet so we don't know what will happen. Either one of those teams will be in it. I just know and Andrew will be so surprised. One guy in the pool has Jacobs and Gushue. Another guy has Koe and someone else, I forget who. Menard and Kean will play well in the Brier. Trust me.

February 18, 2015 @ 10:33 AM

this guest

@ Javed

Thank you for that info. It either slipped my mind or I never knew.
Speaking of The Beatles I think I'll go visit my old girlfriend a couple
hours from here. Maybe walk through the park downtown and
go for tea. No, no sparks will fly. That fire went out long ago.
But we are friends. We were always floating downstream.
And couldn't have imagined making it to 30 never mind 'middle age.'

She'd buy honey from the Mennonites and say 'I could be a Mennonite.'
Right. A chain smoking Mennonite.
I quit myself. I'm a quitter.
And I'm going to quit arguing with people. The world will have to save
itself. I can't help. I can only think of positive things.
That's where I'm at.
Positive, healing images.

The reason Argie and I dislike each other so much isn't politics.
It's psychology. It's projection. It's casting your worst qualities
on somebody else. It's how the world works. It's a terrible mistake
to make.

There was an interview on BBC of an old 95 year old guy. He was
a British POW in Dresden and survived the firebombing. He said
he didn't smile for 40 years. Nothing in war had prepared him
for what he saw. He said 'I thought we were supposed to be the
good guys.' That's my final political statement.

February 18, 2015 @ 1:29 PM

Argie

@this guest
I don't dislike you. How could I - I don't even know you.

February 18, 2015 @ 2:16 PM

Andrew

@ Irv - I remember getting stuck in Calgary because they don't plough the streets, but this is 5 days after the snowstorm. They finally cleared out most of the snow with back loaders and dump trucks overnight, but there is ice everywhere. One of the guys on our crew crashed his car into a snowbank from hitting sheer ice on the main road. As for the cold, it was -38 with the windchill this morning and I think they were being generous. There was nothing blocking the wind by our hotel and it was crazy. Even with my car plugged into the block heater it was having a hard time turning over. I would like to come back here in the summer... looks like a beautiful place.

@ Cheryl - I love your enthusiasm, I really do, but your basis of curling facts are lacking :) Kean has never made a final in any Grand Slam event and is currently ranked #63 in the world with a total of $5,500 won. Now, any team can get hot and go on a run, but the last Brier rookie to win was Kevin Koe in 2010 and I'm not stating anything disparaging, but Koe is a much better curler than Mark Kean. Menard last won in 2006. Both of those teams are going to have go through Jacobs, Koe, Morris (Team Canada), Cotter, Gushue, Carruthers, and even Casey from PEI. I hope you win your pool... I really do :)

Cheers,
Andrew

February 18, 2015 @ 3:12 PM

Andrew

Sorry.. Mark Kean is ranked #20 on the Order of Merit, he's #63 on the money list.

Cheers,
Andrew

February 18, 2015 @ 3:14 PM

this guest

@ Argie

Thank you Argie. All the best to you.

February 18, 2015 @ 5:15 PM

Irv

@Andrew

Oh Calgary and Edmonton still don't plow their streets. In Calgary the snow plow is called a "chinook". I guess that's the cities way of keeping taxes low. They also don't clear out alleys which is the real problem when it snows 40cms. I can deal with snow covered roads, but I hate them not cleaning the sidewalks. And I hate the constant melt/freeze thing that makes walking dangerous.

The windchill probably was colder than they said it was. -25C is cold but it's hell with a strong wind. When I first moved to Edmonton I arrived at the start of a brutal winter. I'd go out to a car at -40C and start it up. My gas mileage was like that of a huge truck, my coffee would get cold and putting the car (standard) into gear required real muscle. I remember going to Canadian Tire on Calgary Trail & walking to the Dennys. It was next door. It was the longest, coldest walk in my life.

I was renting a house very short term when the winter started in Edmonton. The furnace ran for 2 weeks no stop (literally). I wisely choose a place with underground parking & a Sobey's right in the complex. Good living indeed.

February 18, 2015 @ 6:28 PM

James Edgar

@Irv Pfftt -25c is nothing in Edmonton, everybody knows it's a DRY cold and you can barely feel it. It feels like -2 in Toronto.

February 19, 2015 @ 9:08 AM

Cheryl

My Habs lost. That game sucked. Hopefully they can win tonight. They didn't have Carey Price last night. They will have him tonight and beat Florida. Well, money list doesn't mean anything. So there is always a first time for everything. Menard can win again. There is a first time for Kean to win, there really is. I heard an interview with Mark Kean yesterday. It wasn't great quality. The interviewer came out good, but it was hard to hear Mark Kean as it sounded like he was talking away from the microphone. Anyway, he says they think they have a chance of winning. I really really want my money. Just don't count them out. If I don't win, I don't win, but don't give up yet. I am really really excited about the Brier.

February 19, 2015 @ 10:06 AM

Irv

@James

I can remember it hitting -18C in Edmonton and thinking FINALLY it's warming up. Some winters you can get -25C & colder for weeks & even months on end. Calgary less so because of the Chinook. Edmontonians have a good sense of humour. They take things pretty easy. You have to when you live in a frozen place where it's twilight by 3:30 in the afternoon.

Honestly, I prefer the cold over the bright sun of the hot summer. It just sucks the energy & life right out of you though Western Canada doesn't have warm evenings.

February 19, 2015 @ 10:16 AM

dale

@ Irv

Totally agree with you. I'd rather have this weather that +40C with heat & humidity. You can always add layers of clothing but can't take too much off & still sweat & feel sluggish. Best seasons of the years for me is spring & autumn.

Coming soon - Hopefully?

February 19, 2015 @ 6:14 PM

Alison in Ottawa

@Ben v @torontomike .... Living in Ottawa I missed the Star "expose" on the Guardisil vaccine, which by the way is being recommended for boys as well now, My daughter received the vaccine in the fall so I immediately went to the Star website only to find this statement:

"We remain committed to this line of reporting. However, we have concluded that in this case our story treatment led to confusion between anecdotes and evidence.

For that reason, the Gardasil story package of Feb. 5 will be removed from our website."

February 26, 2015 @ 10:26 AM