The Great NHL Stats Fraud

Our Toronto Maple Leafs have lost 10 in a row. That hasn't happened since there were only six teams in the NHL. The Leafs have only one win in all of 2015. That's bad, even for this franchise.

We all know the Leafs have lost 10 in a row, but try telling that to the NHL. Officially, the NHL thinks we've lost 3 in a row, because we lost in a shootout to the Devils back on January 28.

Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 1.36.42 PM

What a bunch of malarky that is. Losing in overtime or a shootout is still losing. Make no mistake about it, the Leafs have lost 10 in a row, despite what you'll read at NHL.com.

519 Rob

I wish they'd go to the international point system. 3 pts for a win, 2 pts for an OT/SO win, 1pt for an OT/SO loss, and 0 pts for a regulation loss.

February 4, 2015 @ 2:36 PM

Bdot

#TankNation - Connor McDavid!!!!

February 4, 2015 @ 2:38 PM

@519 Rob

I agree 100%. They use that system for the World Junior round robin. Every game has 3 points up for grabs.

A win in regulation gets you all 3.
An overtime / shootout win gets you 2.
An overtime / shootout loss gets you 1.

That's the way to go. But as far as streaks go, a loss is a loss is a loss.

February 4, 2015 @ 2:40 PM

Al The Royal Pain

I wish they'd just go to straight winning percentage like in baseball. They got rid of ties (which I was very much in favour of) so there should just be wins and losses. Everything else is just noise.

February 4, 2015 @ 3:03 PM

@Al The Royal Pain

There is something perverted about rewarding a loss. I'd be okay with your change.

February 4, 2015 @ 3:13 PM

Argie

I've always said the point system should be like this:
3 pts for a regulation time win
2 pts for an OT win
1 pt for the loser of a OT game

This way teams have an incentive to go for the regulation win.

February 4, 2015 @ 3:17 PM

Jenny

Have you seen this?

Hits the nail on the head---along with being cute if it wasn't so sad!! I remember the last time the Leafs won the cup---it's been sooo long!

February 4, 2015 @ 3:26 PM

To save everyone a click, here's the vid:

February 4, 2015 @ 3:34 PM

519 Rob

Mike,
You're totally right. A loss is still a loss.

The better question, is when will the NHL implement the 4 on 4 / 3 on 3 that the AHL is doing.
I'm going off the top of my head, but something like only 17% of tied games are making it to the shoot out after 4 on 4 and then 3 on 3.

And also, how AWESOME must 3 on 3 be.

February 4, 2015 @ 4:56 PM

Eekan Boo

I agree with Al/RP. The most objective measure of a team's success is it's winning %.

February 4, 2015 @ 6:01 PM

Blind Dave

I'm with Al & Mike. I dislike the loser point too. If you lose you lose -- zero points. Go to 4 on four for 5 minutes of OT, then 3 on 3 until someone scores.

February 4, 2015 @ 10:01 PM

elvis

2 points for a win, 0 points for a loss. How you get there is irrelevant. Adding in points for anything else doesn't generate any additional interest (which is the only reason they ever argue is the need for rewarding getting through regulation tied).

February 5, 2015 @ 8:38 PM