My 10 Favourite Saturday Night Live Cast Members of All-Time

I started watching Saturday Night Live during the Sandler era. That crew, with Dana Carvey, Mike Myers, Chris Farley, Phil Hartman, David Spade and Chris Rock, introduced me to the world of SNL.

Since then, I've watched it off and on over the years. Sometimes I'd tune out for a few years, only to rediscover a new cast and watch every week. Of the seasons I caught, here are my 10 favourite cast members.

1. Mike Myers
  2. Phil Hartman
  3. Adam Sandler
  4. Chris Farley
  5. Dana Carvey
  6. Kristen Wiig
  7. Will Ferrell
  8. Bill Hader
  9. TIna Fey
  10. Taran Killam

dale

All of them went on to more significant careers because of SNL.

Lorne Micheals (a Canadian) is a genius starting a live show in 1975 & took a chance. Give credit to him.

February 15, 2015 @ 1:35 PM

@dale

"What about Chevy Chase, John Belushi, Dan Ackroyd, Gilda Radner, Eddie Murphy who made SNL the show it still is today."

All before my time. Every single one of them.

February 15, 2015 @ 1:42 PM

Lynne

@Mike
I think if you watch tonight, you will see the early days of the show. I bet some of it won't stand up. I didn't like Belushi's stuff at all, even then. That Samurai stuff was awful....

@Dale
Gilda was the best !!! And, of course, Jane Curtain. I will never forget Dan Ackyroyd saying "Jane, you ignorant slut" during the news. She went on to do a lot of TV work - comedies and drama. I still enjoy her work.

Oh, and don't forget Steve Martin and Martin Short.

Looking forward to a trip down memory lane.

February 15, 2015 @ 2:04 PM

I'll be watching tonight.

Fun fact: Steve Martin was never an SNL cast member.

February 15, 2015 @ 2:08 PM

I heard from "this guest". He's fine, just taking a little break.

He'll be back soon.

February 15, 2015 @ 3:27 PM

Rick C in Oakville

SNL has been on for so long, it's hard not to like certain characters in one of the 40 decades of the show.

February 15, 2015 @ 6:17 PM

Lynne

@Mike
Glad this guest is just taking a break.
Thanks for the Steve Martin clarification. He was on so often, it was hard to tell the difference.

February 15, 2015 @ 8:34 PM

Caygeon

I thought Martin Short did the best job on the reunion special.

February 17, 2015 @ 8:35 AM

Alan

Great show Sunday except for the Californians.

Been watching SNL since the beginning. So I guess my prefs lean more to my youth!

Dan Akoroyd
John Belushi
Gilda Radner
Billy Crystal
Eddie Murphy
Tina Fey
Jimmy Fallon
Chevy Chase
Bill Murray
Phil Hartman

February 17, 2015 @ 12:26 PM

Cambo

I started watching around the same time. Myers, Carvey, Hartman etc. It's right after that period that the show stopped being funny (except for Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. Those two are awesome.)

The show just wasn't funny anymore. The 90s cast was particularly good with improv.

February 17, 2015 @ 1:46 PM

Cambo

... Oh and during the Californians I had to watch something else. It was absolutely brutal.

February 17, 2015 @ 1:47 PM

I really enjoyed the Californians, but I always did.

February 17, 2015 @ 2:17 PM

Shite D. Sturbur

@mike
Sorry if I offend, but I'm afraid anyone that places Adam Sandler in a top 10 of anything list and also enjoys the Californians is perhaps dis-qualified from any opinion on comedy.

It may also explains your admiration for the H & F show and their brand of self-proclaimed "clever" radio. No accounting for taste, I guess?

I'm sure everyone else agrees!

February 17, 2015 @ 4:36 PM

@Shite D. Sturbur

No offense taken. This is "my 10 favourite" and not "the 10 best".

It's true, I enjoyed Adam Sandler on SNL and I enjoy Humble and Fred, but I never said the Humble and Fred show was clever.

Taste is so damn subjective!

February 17, 2015 @ 7:29 PM