Friday Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Friday Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Ryan P

I'm quite happy that Sun News is off the air. I lean left but that's not why I am happy. I despise lying in the news. Sun News constantly lied or stretched the truth to play to people and make them angry - most of the time about nothing. I truly hope Ezra Levant fades into obscurity and is never heard from again. Again this isn't because of my politics, its because he is a proven liar and has been proved guilty by the CBSC for broadcasting lies. If the right wants to have a news channel, good...great even. But it needs to be based in reality and truth - Sun News has never been based in that area.

February 13, 2015 @ 8:26 AM

Glen

Why doesn't Tim Hortons have a fleet of coffee truck servicing factories, construction sites, offices, etc like those independent trucks we see all the time pulling up to these places?

They could use local Tim Hortons restaurants in the area to supply coffee, donuts, and sandwiches.

It seems like an untapped market for them.

What am I missing?

February 13, 2015 @ 8:42 AM

Ben V

@Ryan P: Sun News TV may be gone, but The Sun and The National Post still exist. Ezra Levant is a weasel. He will either crawl out from under some rock or the bottom of your shoe after exiting the wash-rooms at a Monster Jam show to spew his hate fuelled words.

I do agree with good riddance. If they had even attempted a show or programming that gave an educated, yet differing opinion I may have been inclined to watch it. As a news station it was completely abhorrent and unwatchable. I even tried to view it as a farce and the counter to Jon Stewart, but it wouldn't stick, because Jon Stewart is a genius both comedically and politically and everything to do with Sun News felt childish.

February 13, 2015 @ 8:54 AM

Ben V

Good news from Ontarians.

In this I think the hardest stance should be taken against those willing to risk the health of their own children and that of their neighbours and friends

February 13, 2015 @ 8:57 AM

I once asked on this blog who watches Sun TV, because the ratings suggested far more people were reading this blog.

I'm sorry for those who lost their job today, but I'm pleased that type of programming doesn't work in this country.

February 13, 2015 @ 8:59 AM

Argie

There wouldn't be a need for "Fox News North" if the other media outlets were more balanced. So yeah, go ahead and watch the CBCs and CTVs or even the cowardly Jon Stewart and get an unbalanced look at the news. A they say, ignorance is bliss.

February 13, 2015 @ 9:01 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Happy Friday the 13th! Be careful today and stay warm.

February 13, 2015 @ 9:03 AM

Al The Royal Pain

@Argie

You may not agree with Jon Stewart, but how do you figure he is cowardly? I have never seen him duck criticism or opportunity for debate. He has appeared on shows that maintain viewpoints contrary to his and held his own. He has invited people onto his show with opposing opinions.

I haven't regularly watched his show in a long time, but did I miss something that he did that would give you this opinion of him?

February 13, 2015 @ 9:08 AM

McNulty

How is Jon Stewart a coward, Argie?

And since when is CTV not that balanced? Wasn't it CTV that went to air with the interview that destroyed that last remaining credibility that Stephane Dion had left? If they were so biased they would have buried that segment.

You like to play that conservatives are victims and they never get a fair shake. Harper has a majority. The Globe, Sun and National Post all endorsed Hudak in the last provincial election.

But no, there is only a liberal bias. And Jon Stewart is a coward.

February 13, 2015 @ 9:12 AM

Ben V

@McNulty & Al: Don't expect Argie to defend the coward comment. He'll deflect and say he's being persecuted.

February 13, 2015 @ 9:16 AM

Argie

@Al & McNulty
How about we compare Stewart with another semi-moderate, Bill Maher. I don't agree with Maher on many things and he can be an obnoxious prick but he has shown courage where Stewart has never shown it.

For eg, has Stewart ever really criticized Obama or even Islamic jihadist? Maher has and has been beaten up by the social media clones - the people who worship at the alter of Stewart.

That's what I mean by cowardice.

February 13, 2015 @ 9:20 AM

Argie

@Ben
Um, I just did bro.

February 13, 2015 @ 9:20 AM

Speysidephil

CTV on a daily basis is leaning more and more to the left. Look no further than Lisa Laflamme, Robert Fife, and that awful Craig Oliver when he is on.
The SNN could have been so much more had they not been stonewalled by the CRTC and if they had the money to to improve their on air broadcasts .
Too bad we lose a voice for the people . The "Right People".

February 13, 2015 @ 9:21 AM

Geoff

re: @Argie ... I'll translate for everyone else.

There is a need for right leaning news stations because I don't like the political leanings of some of the other stations (even if you do).

Now I need to insult someone (Jon Stewart) who you respect I feel this will make my argument even stronger (even though I have no proof and am just making things up).

Finally I need to insult everyone who disagrees with me (ignorance is bliss) and I think I have pretty much proved my point. Later on I’ll throw in a reference to my favourite sports team and my work here is done!

February 13, 2015 @ 9:26 AM

Al The Royal Pain

As I said, I haven't watched much of Stewart lately, but I have seen him criticize Obama on a number of occasions and he's been critical of jihadists. Who hasn't been?

I also like Maher. I think they're both similar. I think they differ in the style in which they satire or criticize. I think Maher is more blunt with criticism and Stewart leans more to satire. But if you've ever seen Stewart in a serious political debate, he's informed, intelligent and biting...whereas Maher is informed, intelligent and a bulldog.

February 13, 2015 @ 9:28 AM

Argie

@Geoff
You're a happy person, aren't you? Ah, I see.

February 13, 2015 @ 9:29 AM

Lorne

@Glen: probably just the operation costs. A fleet of trucks is a massive undertaking.

Take the independent truck owner. He just needs a place to park it, put gas in it, visit a mechanic occasionally, and buy stock for it. Probably some paperwork to fill out once a year. Easy enough for one person to handle.

Now imagine Tim Hortons wanting to get in on this:

First they'd have to buy a fleet of trucks. Even if they limit this to larger population towns and cities, that's hundreds of trucks. They'd all have to be the same make and model, because it'd be a maintenance nightmare otherwise. Each truck would probably have to be customized inside to have the right equipment (coffee & tea makers, ice caps, doughnut racks, etc).

Then they'd have to get every one of those trucks licensed. If they're operating in hundreds of cities, that's hundreds of licenses and rules and regulations to conform to. You need a whole legal and logistics department for that. They'd also have to worry about getting licenses for the trucks in multiple provinces.

Those trucks need to go somewhere. If they're limited to major cities, they can probably buy a storage garage for the fleet. So there's the cost of buying and running the garage. Insurance, security. Probably retrofitting to allow the mechanics shop in there. You have to hire people to run those buildings. Plus fleet mechanics. Any environmental laws or zoning laws to worry about while doing maintenance? Plus a whole new class of labor laws for your HR to worry about.

Now the trucks are going to go out on the road. But where? You need to have a whole department dedicated to those routes. Where are they going to go and when? Is there already an established truck there? Do you need permission from the individual business? Do all the prime spots have an exclusivity clause? What's the most efficient route amongst all them. Are there rules with Tim Hortons franchise owners-- ie: head office can't operate another Tim Hortons withing x kms of a franchisee. Will a truck violate that? How do you get these routes to the drivers (because autonomous thinking isn't going to be part of their job description).

For that matter, how are you going to fill those trucks with food? Do they go visit a warehouse and get stocked? A local store? Or do you now need to negotiate a whole new delivery route and system with the Tim Hortons 18 wheelers? Is the fleet garage even allowed to have food in it? Do the 18 wheelers pack food in quantities and skids appropriate for a store, but not a truck? More logistics to sort out!

Okay, back to trucks on road. How do you know they're going to the right spots? What sort of GPS monitoring will you put on the trucks. Is that allowed in the county you're operating in? What metrics will you use to evaluate driver performance. Is there an exact schedule to follow. Coming up with a whole new employee performance metric will be a job for HR. Are you even allowed to punish an employee for being 5 minutes late to a spot? Again with the labor laws.

How will those trucks be fueled? It's not like an independent owner who just pays out of pocket. Now you need fleet cards for the gas. It's one thing to hand those out to the 18 wheeler drivers-- they have a whole other class of license and expectation of responsibility. You now have to maintain a separate line of fleet cards to pay for gas, monitor them for fraud, etc. How much does gas cut into the bottom line of a cup of coffee?

... and that's just 5 minutes of thought off the top of my head. I'm sure there's a ton of other landmines just waiting to be hit.

February 13, 2015 @ 9:33 AM

Ryan P

@Speysidephil
'The SNN could have been so much more had they not been stonewalled by the CRTC and if they had the money to to improve their on air broadcasts.'

Their first mistake was putting on people like Levant. Any company with morals would have fired him (You know...like Corus did with Blundell). Also, Stonewalled by the CRTC? What ever happened to the free market? What happened to the market will choose what survives and what dies? Doesn't the CRTC represent everything the right hates?

@Toronto Mike
I should have clarified in my comment RE: job losses. It passed thru my mind while writing the comment but PEBKAC caused me to forget to put that in. I feel bad for the good professionals there that lost their job. I'm sure the good ones will bounce back and land at a reputable broadcaster soon.

February 13, 2015 @ 9:33 AM

McNulty

@ Argie

Have you watched Stewart?
1) He does make fun of Obama all the time. About Libya, Immigration, the attacks in Paris, recently referred to him as Clint Eastwood but the Clint Eastwood from The Bridges of Madison County.
2) He always does the video showing contradictory statements.

So he's not a coward. You just don't like him. You never have. Also remember he took at show with an audience of 350 000 and turned it into over 2 million. Not too mention 20 Emmys. Fox tried to create a similar show and it failed. Who is to blame for that?

@ Speyside
SNN failed for one reason. They didn't have viewers. If there was a demand for their shows then someone would have bought the thing and made money. They will blame the left for their failures like Target blames the consumer.
I tried to watch SNN a few times. I watched on topics I knew about and the lack of facts was shameful. It was propoganda and nothing more.

February 13, 2015 @ 9:33 AM

Oscar

Hey Mike -

do you have any inside scoop on why Walker will be joining Brady in the afternoon rather than sitting in Dean's shadow? I think it's a much better move for walker to stay with Brady, but I was curious if this was a Dean choice or a Walker choice or if mgmt made their own decision...

February 13, 2015 @ 9:35 AM

mrmojorisinca

I'd have to agree with AL on his observation of JS and BM..

I enjoy coming here and reading people posts..but I sometimes wonder if these conversation would be the same if we were all face to face..it easy to name call when you have a computer screen to hide behind.

February 13, 2015 @ 9:39 AM

Argie

@McNulty
Going from when I watched him which was up to a few years ago, he was careful with Obama. He knew most of his audience thought BHO has "awesome!" so he tended to tread lightly. I'll admit I haven't watched him recently so I'll take you on your word that he has changed.

As for his numbers, 2 million in the US is a decent number, but not blockbuster worthy. Comedy Central is a cable channel which means its not in every home. Which makes you wonder 30 million dollar salary seemed a bit steep, no? Anyway, that's another topic.

February 13, 2015 @ 9:41 AM

Geoff

@Argie ... I will translate
Now I will insult Geoff ... as he was making good points.

February 13, 2015 @ 9:43 AM

Argie

@Geoff
I'm not insulting you - you're just not funny. Sorry.

February 13, 2015 @ 9:52 AM

Cheryl

My Habs lost last night. This sucks, but they'll beat the Leafs tonight.

Anyway, Leafs lost last night, good. Anyway, it is cold out there. This is a bad winter. Well, I never did this before, but thinking of baseball makes me think of warmer weather. I'm going to win the baseball pool.

February 13, 2015 @ 9:58 AM

McNulty

@ Argie

Stewart's salary is enormous. But I will claim igorance when it comes to TV revenues. If a private company paid him it then he deserved it. And if he is walking away from that kind of cash then I think it speaks more to his character than anything else.

But he has been after the current administration. He does mostly focus on the CNN and FOX and their lousy reporting.

February 13, 2015 @ 10:01 AM

Al The Royal Pain

@Argie

During Obama's first run, you're right, he was practically a cheerleader for him, but so were most democrats during that election. Mostly because they were so desperate for change and the idea of a McCain/Palin (especially Palin) ticket was terrifying to them and even some Rebublicans.

But during the last election, Stewart was very critical of Obama and skeptical of any meaningful change.

February 13, 2015 @ 10:04 AM

@Oscar

I'm just going to wait for the ink to dry on some changes before sharing my 2 cents. Soon...

February 13, 2015 @ 10:20 AM

Ben

@Al: No point discussing it. Argie doesn't watch Stewart on a regular basis. He just remembers a show or two where he didn't criticize him and extrapolates that to mean throughout the entire run of the show he hasn't.

@Speyside: Ryan P beat me to the response, but he is 100% correct. Right wing policies always claim the free market should decide what succeeds and what fails. They also rally against government handouts. I don't even know what you are talking about with regards to a voice for the people. Unless you are talking about people with an IQ of 14 who don't care for facts or balanced news reporting.

@McNulty: You know Argie likes tossing out inflammatory comments like "Jon Stewart is a coward" especially when it has no basis in reality. He got your hook line and sinker. Remember Argie doesn't let facts get in the way of contrary for the sake of contrary. Even the fact that Argie brought up Jon's salary is another way to deflect from the fact he made a factually incorrect statement in the first place. To further add insult he didn't provide adequate proof to back it up.

February 13, 2015 @ 10:20 AM

Argie

@Ben
I thought I was having a cordial discussion with McNulty. It was just an aside to mention Stewart's salary and his numbers. I don't begrudge his salary. If someone wants to pay him that much, its their call.

You really have to come with another insult other than "he always deflects."

February 13, 2015 @ 10:29 AM

McNulty

@ Ben

Not to defend Argie (and he doesn't need the help). He made a comment about Stewart. Then he backed it up with a few things. I contradicted the Obama statement and he admitted to watching earlier episodes and conceding that he could be wrong about recent episodes.
I don't have any issue with what he said.

His statement about his salary was in relation to his 2 million viewers. It's a valid point.

February 13, 2015 @ 10:30 AM

Andrew

This is for all...

Say what you will about Sun News Network, I had a bunch of friends and former work colleagues lose their jobs today.

That is all.

Andrew

February 13, 2015 @ 10:50 AM

Glen

@Mike

Are you going to have a post on the death of Alison Gordon?

She became the first woman beat writer in Major League Baseball and covered the Blue Jays for the Toronto Star from 1979-1984. . I listened to her sports panel discussion on CBC radio for years

The deaths of 2 college basketball coaches Dean Smith and Jerry Tarkanlian in the States doesn't resonate with me. I didn't quite understand why you wrote about them as a Toronto blogger.

February 13, 2015 @ 10:52 AM

@Glen

I did speak with Damien Cox about Alison Gordon and her groundbreaking work. That's in the episode I posted yesterday. And I did tweet about it. I was very sorry to read the news.

Back in the day, I watched a lot of NCAA basketball, particularly in the era of the Fab Five. Dean Smith and Jerry Tarkanian were monsters at the time.

I post some deaths and don't post others. I'll post more of what's relevant to me and less what's relevant to Toronto. No disrespect meant to Alison Gordon, as you'll hear when I praised her during episode 110.

February 13, 2015 @ 11:03 AM

Liz

@Mike

Temperature check - will you be biking at lunch today? Or, is this too cold?

@Andrew

You're right. People losing jobs trumps any discussion around ideology. I feel for those now without work.

February 13, 2015 @ 11:10 AM

@Liz

Great question. I skipped biking yesterday because I spent my lunch hour with Damien Cox instead.

I see it's -18 right now and it feels like -20. That's precisely my cut-off because I find my brakes seize up when it's -20 or colder.

I think I'll skip biking today.

February 13, 2015 @ 11:12 AM

Speysidephil

@ben

Talk about inflammatory comments. Talking about people with an IQ of 14 who don't care for facts etc. Etc.
If the shoe fits wear it Ben!

February 13, 2015 @ 11:13 AM

Lorne

Any chance we can have one Open Mike that doesn't devolve into feeding the Argie troll? Half the replies are just pointing out over and over that he's an idiot who wants a rise out of everyone. And y'all give it to him.

Ignore.

Do. Not. Engage.

How about the Raptors?

February 13, 2015 @ 11:15 AM

Irv

@Andrew

I'm going to play devil's advocate. Given your friends worked for a network which regularly espoused the merits of raw capitalism one might say..sorry about your luck just suck it up. I've often found it ironic when I see media espousing the "fix" for bankrupt governments & business yet they're mired in red ink. Or how they vociferous tell readers to "adapt to the new world order" yet this same industry is still living in the 90's and refuses to move forward.

Now I realize that those working at SNN likely don't buy into the whole "troll" mantra they have going on. But, to the average citizen they see an angry, mean spirited news network sometimes devoid of fact. I ran a python script last night to collect tweets aimed at Ezra to see how people felt. They came fast and furious too as news got out and most were happy to see the network fail. Fair? I don't think so myself, but sort of expected, no?

As for Ezra well he is part troll. The problem with Ezra is he is much like how Blundell was at 102.1. He is very good at dishing it out & attacking people but not so good at taking it. That doesn't sit well with some people who make it their life's work to knock people like him off the podium. Wasn't it Ezra who was taken to court for libel or slander and got knicked for 80 grand? And did he not go public asking for funds for the legal fight? Same guy says "pull yourself up by your bootstraps".

February 13, 2015 @ 11:18 AM

@Lorne

I'm just sorry we have to break for the all-star game. The last three Raptor games were thoroughly entertaining.

We came back to blow out the Clippers, we finally beat the Spurs and then we held on to beat the Wizards.

What a fun team to follow.

February 13, 2015 @ 11:22 AM

McNulty

@ Andrew

I feel for some of the 200 who have lost their jobs. It sucks. But the tweets that I have been reading have made it seem like this is a travest and these hard working people are victims.

A few weeks ago Target let a lot more people go and the media storm wasn't about those job losses. It was more about how Target ran a poor business. How are these two situations different? Why do these jobs seem to be valued more?

I have read a lot about how the CRTC is to blame for not adding SNN to the regular package. However, 5 million people had access to SNN and they 10 000 viewers.
Those numbers are clear. The message that SNN was giving was not wanted. Perhaps if they focused on news and not opinion disguised as news it would have be reveived better.
But Ezra Levant going on air and discussing Wind Turbines without ever offering another view and only offering false science and discredited reports is why this network failed.

Mourn for some job losses but the product they were selling was crap.

February 13, 2015 @ 11:31 AM

E.

In terms of a hysterical reaction to the measles vaccine issue, why is there no comparable media onslaught to dying bees (On which we owe our very existence), pesticides in the food (surely affecting millions of children), pollution in the air (killing far more each year than measles), war, refugees and poverty? And why is there virtually no media coverage of the virologists formerly employed by the vaccine manufacturer suing over test results in a federal court?

February 13, 2015 @ 11:36 AM

E.

And one more question: How is it that all of those vaccinated children are getting measles?
Surely in any debate this needs to be looked at from a rational point of view.

February 13, 2015 @ 11:42 AM

Ben V

@McNulty; To be fair this isn't the first time Argie has posted his dislike for Jon Stewart by calling him a coward. When I say Ezra levant is a hate fuelling, fear monger, I say it because I have read recent articles by him as well as stuff from the past. He hasn't changed.

Argie did not do the same. I have a feeling Argie's love for Bill Maher stems from something else, but that's not a topic I'm going to raise on this frigid Friday.

With regards to his pay. What does that have to do with the price of rice? In other words his pay doesn't matter in the context of him being a coward or even his audience size really.

Stewart started a cultural phenomenon. He took down fear mongering and reduced it to absurdity. He brought down a show on CNN, he has never ever wavered from discourse or a good argument. He rallied against lies in the media and news. He helped launch Stephan Colbert and countless others via his show. Hosted the Oscars. His viewership base is also the most knowledgeable when it comes to current and international affairs when compared to Fox News. i.e., they know how to read a map.

His 30 million salary is because of Jon Stewart the brand not the late show comedy host. But again matters little with regards to his pay. Argie should also acknowledge this especially as he loves international soccer. Many times the worth of a player(or co-ownership) doesn't equate to his pay.

February 13, 2015 @ 11:52 AM

@E.

Doctors recommend two doses of the MMR vaccine to be fully protected. Even then, doctors say it has "only" a 99% protection rate.

An unvaccinated child is 35 times more likely to contract measles as compared to a vaccinated child.

Rationally speaking, based on the science of the day, parents should ensure their kids get the two MMR vaccine shots to best protect themselves and others from measles.

February 13, 2015 @ 11:53 AM

Gump

@Mike

Great news about the "get" of Roger Ashby. I know I'm in the minority in liking his 'style' (or lack thereof) but I really respect people who do their job day in/day out with professionalism and in a no-nonsense way.

February 13, 2015 @ 12:00 PM

@Gump

I don't consider it a "get" until he walks in my front door. I've had a few verbal confirmations that never materialized.

I heard from Matt Galloway's people yesterday and he'll be coming over. James Mirtle, too. Eric Smith will come closer to the playoffs. I'm very interested in chatting with Master T, so if anyone knows him personally, please let me know.

February 13, 2015 @ 12:06 PM

Andrew

Et all,

I'm not saying I like the product they were working on, I didn't know any of the on-air staff, mostly just the tech grunts behind the scenes doing what we all do in this industry which is make sausages. You can agree with their views of the network or not, I don't really care which way. I just said I have some friends who lost their jobs today which sucks. I certainly didn't take any glee in the people at Target who are losing their jobs or anyone who loses a job which is out of their control.

I don't like it when people take glee in someone else's pain. That's all.

Andrew

February 13, 2015 @ 12:15 PM

E.

@ Andrew
I don't like it when people take glee in someone else's pain. That's all.

Thank you Andrew. You opened my eyes here. I must admit I did feel a moment of glee over Ezra Levant & company being so ignored they failed. I forgot about the people feeding their families. It's a weird dichotomy. Wanting something gone (good riddance) but not wanting the 'grunts' (as you say) to lose their employment.

February 13, 2015 @ 12:23 PM

E.

The economy and how it is structured needs an overhaul. However it's been designed it doesn't work.

February 13, 2015 @ 12:25 PM

Justin

I was deeply saddened to hear Sun News was shutting down last night. That network was a breath of fresh air from the boring liberal media. They talked about important issues the rest of the media hid and actually educated Canadians rather than feeding them bullcrap. It gave Conservatives a platform in the media and advocated for Conservative causes that don't see the light of the day in most media outlets. There is a place for Sun News in Canada and although they couldn't make it work with the model they had I can only hope a new incarnation will appear in the coming years. It was fantastic and entertaining television and I will miss it.

February 13, 2015 @ 12:43 PM

Javed Jafri

@Ben Your words below are very true:
"His viewership base is also the most knowledgeable when it comes to current and international affairs when compared to Fox News. i.e., they know how to read a map".

Many Fox and Sun TV viewers are fact averse and live in a fact free bubble and as someone once remarked people are entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts. One of the best examples of this was during the 2012 US presidential election when all the reputable polling firms as well as the great Nate Silver were predicting an Obama victory during the weeks prior to the election and all the conservative pundits were in denial saying the models are wrong and the facts on the ground will prove the left leaning media and polling firms wrong. I relished tuning into Fox as Obama was declared the winner and watching Carl Rove and Dick Morris squirm as their predictions ( based on the "best facts and analysis") were falling apart.

Fox News, Glenn Beck, Sun TV etc do attract a lot of misinformed people who watch the rants delivered to reinforce their own racist, Islamophobic, homophobic , anti evolution anti science views.

February 13, 2015 @ 12:44 PM

@Justin

If there were more of you, the station would still be available today.

I read somewhere that their main shows literally had only 5000 viewers at any one time. Think about that...

February 13, 2015 @ 12:49 PM

E.

As a twist on the '50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong!' album: 5,000 Ezra Levant fans CAN be wrong!

February 13, 2015 @ 12:52 PM

Teunis

Can we all just agree that "Argie" is a troll and ignore him? He's obviously a fairly simple person who only makes comments to get a reaction - probably to fuel his attention-seeking needs. Just ignore him and he'll go away. It's actually quite sad.

February 13, 2015 @ 1:20 PM

Ben V

@Speyside: Yes IQ's of 14 who don't care for facts. I don't watch Jerry Springer, because I feel like that show caters to a certain demographic I don't relate to. Funnily enough probably the same people that watch Sun News or rather used to watch it.

Sun News could only garner 5000 people for a show. Which was great to me. It means that Canadians on the whole are much smarter and looking for more intelligent and well balanced news. If not that, then they rejected hate and fear fuelled reporting, the premise of news that is successful yet so detrimental to the population south of us.

Justin might disagree, but based on his previous posts, he only believes Toronto will survive with a Ford behind the helm.

February 13, 2015 @ 1:34 PM

CQ

SunNews never had the same chance that CTV's Newschannel still benefits from. None of my favourite retro TV subchannels are available in Canada, neither as broadcasting subchannels nor cable tiered offerings, either; both don't mean they wouldn't have been as welcomed by Canadian viewers as Russia Today is.
Dejaview, aka the "thank you for being [Canada's only and never changing retro station] friend."

February 13, 2015 @ 1:39 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Can we have a couple of politics free Open Mikes?

February 13, 2015 @ 1:50 PM

Speysidephil

Sure Ben, and I guess with my IQ of 14 I'll just go away and watch Lisa, or wait maybe even Fox News Channel, the highest rated cable news channel in America. I hear there is a lot of 14's in the good ole USA.

February 13, 2015 @ 2:05 PM

GUNTer

@ 'E'
what are you talking about here.....

"And why is there virtually no media coverage of the virologists formerly employed by the vaccine manufacturer suing over test results in a federal court?"

February 13, 2015 @ 2:08 PM

Ben V

@ Speyside: What's the point about it being the most watched news show? The very same country that embraces Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, The Kardashians, The Bachelor, Big Brother, and a plethora of highly watched yet completely useless drivel.

When it comes to surveys of the overall enlightenment or knowledge of current affairs with regards to viewers of news programs. Fox News always wins, by coming dead last or close to it.

February 13, 2015 @ 2:16 PM

CQ

@Ben V
I think we have Canadian versions or clones of just about all of those reality shows, plus the U.S. originals. I watch the classics and not-so classics on MeTV (letterbox outlined), Throwback television, Grit, etc. :)

February 13, 2015 @ 2:39 PM

Argie

I'm back I'm am not going anywhere.

February 13, 2015 @ 3:05 PM

E.

Okay this is mindblowing. And it comes from scientists including a Nobel prize winning scientist: Scientists in the U.K. have examined a tiny metal circular object...no bigger than the width of a human hair...
The University of Buckingham reports that the minuscule metal globe was discovered by astrobiologist Milton Wainwright and a team of researchers who examined dust and minute matter gathered by a high-flying balloon in Earth's stratosphere.

The article is in today's Huffington Post .com and suggests...suggesting these miniscule objects were directed to earth at one point containing __________________________.

February 13, 2015 @ 3:21 PM

Argie

@Mike & Ben
SNN was a 2nd and 3rd tier option. Strombo usually got 40,000 for his CBC show "the Hour". Considering CBC is available EVERYWHERE, that my friends is even more sad.

February 13, 2015 @ 3:32 PM

E.

Considering people would rather jerk off to Victoria Secret catalogues than read Siddhartha is even sadder.

February 13, 2015 @ 3:34 PM

Ben V

@Argie: Yes 40K at 11Pm at night. Vs. 5,000 during prime time.

Strombo's show wasn't produced to cater to the masses.

I did however enjoy many an episode of his and he has some very eclectic guests on there. A large amount of it Canadiana.

February 13, 2015 @ 3:42 PM

Argie

@Ben
He had great guests. Whoever the current actor, athlete, author was he got them. I just wasn't a fan of his interview skills.

February 13, 2015 @ 3:47 PM

Cheryl

Well, my power went off for a good part of the day about four hours. That sucked. Couldn't do anything and it got cold because the heat didn't work.I was worried it would be off all weekend, but it wasn't thank goodness. Anyway, Habs over Leafs big time. It will happen. Oh, my trainer won the quarter final in major league on Tuesday. They play again this Tuesday in the semifinal. Team Prebble will win Major League. Kean will win the Brier and Worlds.

February 13, 2015 @ 3:59 PM

Irv

Strombo's TV show poor ratings is less about him & more about the target audience. Late Night TV is a baby boomer/early years Gen X'er thing. When I was 25, it was something I watched. At 45, I was in bed. But today's 25 year old isn't interested. It's a generational thing & this young generation has no interest in late night TV. Just like my parents watched the 10 PM news & I couldn't give a shit.

Sun News on the other hand failed because no one watched it. What's telling is that Sun News was actually targeting a demo that WATCHES news television. They at least had that advantage. They failed. All the emotions & politics aside, no one watched it, so no one advertised on it.

SNN would have failed if they were rabidly left wing too. It's not about the political slant, it's about the reality that most Canadians are centrist people yet to be sucked into the political polarization of places like the USA. You can't sell steak at a vegan festival so why would you try?

I should add that Target failed for much of the same reason. It was much ado about nothing really because the fact is shopping at a "department store" is about as 1980's as you can get. Whether you're at a mall or a big box area, shopping is specialized. The consumer of today isn't really interested in a "department" store and if they are it's Giant Tiger, Dollarama or Walmart. The rest of retail is more upscale & more product focused. There just isn't a market for Target & down the road Walmart will suffer too. It's bottom end eaten by Dollarama & it's mainstream eaten up by Amazon.

February 13, 2015 @ 4:26 PM

Ben V

@ Irv: Walmart is already in trouble. It's the reason for their massive investment in e-commerce and their drive for Walmart.ca. Same store sales have been decreasing for several years now. That is the litmus test for the health of a business. There is a reason Best Buy is opening small stores in malls now. People can go online for a lot of the stuff. Walmart knows this, it's the whole reason they entered with their super stores and why they keep renovating stores. If you use their internal system retail link, you'll see that even most of those stores that changed to super stores 3 years ago are seeing flat lined or decreasing sales. The only growth is in their grocery section. subsequently this is also the part of the store with the least amount of margin for any retailer. It's cut throat. Especially here in Ontario.

February 13, 2015 @ 4:33 PM

Irv

@BenV

So Walmart is starting to fail? Doesn't surprise me. I only venture in there for cheap cotton t shirts for the gym, otherwise meh. And I'd buy the shirts online if I could because I hate waiting for 20 minutes in line at the cashier.

I just bought a SONY 4K TV and I went to Best Buy. I wasn't impressed, so I drove to Future Shop (same owners) and they had better selection. I had to see the screen or I'd have bought it online.

Truth is, if i have the choice between a department store or Amazon, I almost always take Amazon. The only bricks and mortar retail I go into is specialty stores. I bought an old fashioned straight razor at a local store rather than Amazon because store had people who knew more than me. And whereas I will choose a local local retailer over Amazon if I can, when it comes to Walmart vs Amazon I take Amazon any day (Besos aside).

I have to wonder if Walmart.ca will actually work? When I think online shopping, I think Amazon. Walmart is going to have to do a much better job with their online presence before I'll even look at it.

February 13, 2015 @ 5:34 PM

4x4 Time

I think people watch too much TV. Spin a record or go out and support local live music. You will have a great time and your opinion on what you listen to or watch will be your choice.

February 13, 2015 @ 7:27 PM

Lynne

Can anyone tell me where @this guest is? There was a mention of serious health issues some time ago.

February 14, 2015 @ 10:26 AM

Speysidephil

@Lynne
Good question, I was wondering the same thing.
This guest if you are out there have you listened to Dylan's new album on Sinatra songs, some good covers.

February 14, 2015 @ 10:30 AM

The last comment from this guest was January 22: http://www.torontomike.com/2015/01/tuesday_open_mike_58.html#comment-271732

I have his email address. I'll send him a note.

February 14, 2015 @ 10:31 AM

Cheryl

Habs 10 Leafs 0. Habs will win tonight. PK Subban, Brendan Gallagher and Max Pacioretty will all get hattricks. Shutout for Carey Price. Yes, it will happen. You guys will be tuning out early because my Habs are going to win. My Coyotes lost last night unfortunately. That's no good at all, but they'll beat the Rangers tonight. Kean really is going to win the Brier and go to Worlds. Prebble will win Major League. Curling is going to be great.

February 14, 2015 @ 11:14 AM

Lynne

@Mike - Thanks!

February 14, 2015 @ 1:01 PM

markosaar

Nice piece about that garbage Gardasil article The Star had on its front page recently:

Completely irresponsible trash "reporting" by the Star.

February 14, 2015 @ 9:06 PM

@markosaar

Agreed. How the hell did that get published?

February 14, 2015 @ 9:10 PM

I haven't heard back from "this guest" yet.

I won't reveal his true identity, but he's a local creative artist whose been published several times and is worthy of his own Wikipedia page. I'll bet you didn't know that.

February 14, 2015 @ 9:19 PM

Speysidephil

@ MIKE
Sure didn't know that, but very interesting .
Thanks Mike , if you hear anything let us know.
Appreciated .

February 14, 2015 @ 9:51 PM

Lynne

@Mike - That doesn't surprise me at all. I recognized a very insightful, brilliant mind almost immediately. He reminded me of a classmate in high school who wrote his exams in blank verse and went on to be one of Canada's most renowned classical composers. I think he even conducted the Toronto Symphony on occasion. He was my first date. We walked through High Park one hot summer day in 1971 and he bought me a lemonade. He said I looked like Catherine Deneuve (a French actress for those of you born after 1971) and admired the fact that I could miss over 30 days of school each year and still pull straight As. It was awkward for both of us. It was also our last date.

February 15, 2015 @ 8:15 AM

Cheryl

Habs won last night. Too bad it had to go to a shootout though, but at least they won. My Coyotes lost though 5 to 1. That sucked. Anyway, hopefully my Habs get the cup this year. They haven't won one in a long time and they're due for one. Just bring on the Brier because I'm really excited about Kean winning it all and going to Worlds and winning Worlds as Team Canada. Wonderful. It will happen. Then I'm going to win the baseball pool as well. I hope there is another NFL pool coming up. I heard that there will be one, but I may have to have a team from every division though. It's going to change. Oh well.

February 15, 2015 @ 8:16 AM

this guest

hello Speysidephil, I have missed discussing Dylan with you. Yes, I've
heard some of the new ones and enjoyed the transcript of his talk
at the pre-Grammys show. A bit of paranoia (Positively 4th St. style)
but interesting talk of his roots.

Lynne, you are one of those generous souls who surely deserves
many lemonades while walking through High Park. I'm sure you
are more original and insightful than most of us will ever be.
Perhaps I should say 'Catherine.'

Thanks for the email Mike. And the kind words.

February 15, 2015 @ 5:54 PM

argie

This global warming is killing me.

February 15, 2015 @ 6:32 PM

dale

@this guest

Glad to see U R back. hopefully your other situations health is under control.

February 15, 2015 @ 6:41 PM

@argie

I know you're trolling, but this extreme cold is due to the rapid decline of Arctic sea ice, which of course is caused by warming over the past decade.

February 15, 2015 @ 6:44 PM

this guest

@Dale

thank you Dale. I'll address this to Lynne also as she mentioned it earlier.
The specialist after a course of treatment thinks it's not what my physician thought.
But I'm not convinced she's right even though I should be elated. so we shall see.
thank you both.

February 15, 2015 @ 7:02 PM

Irv

@TorontoMike

Weather in the West is rather bizarre too. Vancouver has been hit with an onslaught of heavy rain (pineapple express) & in some places the areas have had up to 200mm in one storm. And the interior & western Alberta are just weird. I was in Banff last weekend and there was no snow on the ground. I wore a vest while waiting for my wife to shop for stuff. And in places like Revelstoke & the Coq (Coquihalla) there was almost no snow. The summit of the Coq normally receives about 1000 cms of snow. I've got pictures of Revelstoke in a normal winter where they dig out the STOP signs because of snow depth.

February 15, 2015 @ 7:30 PM

andrew

It's Family Day weekend & everyone must be forturnate & celebrate with our family.
Life is short & take it 1 day at a time.

@ Mike we all consider you as part of our family.

February 15, 2015 @ 8:06 PM

Argie

@Mike
So you're saying we will experience cooler temperatures due to the planet's higher temperatures?

Did Suzuki tell you that?

February 15, 2015 @ 9:49 PM

@Argie

It's science.

Do a little research before polluting these pages with misinformation.

February 15, 2015 @ 9:53 PM

Lorne

@thisguest: best thoughts with you, buddy.

February 16, 2015 @ 12:57 AM

Cheryl

|This cold stuff sucks, especially on Friday when the power went off. I'm not going skating this week. It's too fricken cold. Anyway, here I am someone who hated baseball, but now I want it to start so I can think of warmer weather and my pool that I am going to win. Well, the Brier is coming up soon as well. Habs are winning the cup as well. Too bad there's no hockey pool.

February 16, 2015 @ 6:02 AM

this guest

Grazie Lorne. Grazie.

February 16, 2015 @ 8:24 AM

Lynne

@this guest

I'm just catching up. You made me laugh. Glad you are okay, and glad to see you're back.

February 17, 2015 @ 7:39 PM