Best Picture Nominees Ranked

For the first time in many years, I've seen all the films nominated for a Best Picture Oscar before the award is handed out.

Here's my personal ranking. Feel free to agree or disagree in the comments.

1. Whiplash
  2. Boyhood
  3. The Theory of Everything
  4. Birdman
  5. The Grand Budapest Hotel
  6. The Imitation Game
  7. Selma
  8. American Sniper

Al The Royal Pain

Selma is the only one I haven't seen yet, but I plan on it very soon. Here are my top 20 of 2014. It has changed quite a bit since I last posted as I've seen a lot more of the nominated films:

February 16, 2015 @ 1:47 PM

Al The Royal Pain

I suppose if you were to extract the best picture nominees form my Top 20 list it would look like this:

1. The Theory Of Everything
2. Boyhood
3. Whiplash
4. Amurican Sniper
5. Imitation Game
6. Birdman
7. Grand Budapest Hotel

Haven't seen Selma yet.

But those aren't by far my favourite of 2014.

February 16, 2015 @ 2:10 PM

In my humble opinion, this is quite a weak year for best picture nominees.

I found most of the best picture noms pretty underwhelming.

February 16, 2015 @ 2:19 PM

Rob

Boyhood
Whiplash
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Birdman
The Imitation Game
The Theory of Everything
American Sniper

Yet to watch Selma.

February 16, 2015 @ 3:44 PM

Teena in Toronto

I haven't seen any of them yet :(

February 16, 2015 @ 9:23 PM

Ben V

I can't seem to get behind the whole Boyhood fascination. I found it boring and uneventful. The only part resembling anything particularly interesting was the fact it was filmed over the course of several year. Otherwise it was completely redundant and uninspiring as a movie.

Can someone tell me if I'm missing something in boyhood that isn't overly apparent?

Grand Budapest Hotel was visually quite stunning and entertaining in a very quirky way. However the movie itself isn't worthy of an oscar in my mind

American sniper was ok. Too many fight scenes over a prolonged period of time. I felt more captivated by the fight scenes in Guardians of the Galaxy than this movie. Cooper did a good job, but not an amazing job.

The Imitation Game has my vote for best picture. It was truly fascinating and heartbreaking. I may be overly bias as I think Benedict Cumberbatch is one of my new favorite actors due to his portrayl of Sherlock Holmes. I loved the historic aspect, the intrigue involving the war and his poor treatment after the war.

Birdman. Sucked

Whiplash. Fantastic. Just re-watched it again last night and it's nothing short of amazing.

The Theory of Everything was pretty dam good. Just not sure it can pull of the oscar win.

I'll rip through Selma sometime this week.

February 17, 2015 @ 9:04 AM

@Ben V

A agree, it's mind boggling that story got published in the Star, but at least the editor owned up to the mistake and the retraction was an A1 story.

@Amy

Don't bet on it. It's not where they want to be.

And of course, that exact show isn't available. Scot Turner is happily employed by Corus.

February 17, 2015 @ 9:14 AM

Ben V

@ TorontoMike: I think the above comment was meant for open mike.

February 17, 2015 @ 9:42 AM

Argie

@Ben
I totally agree with you on Boyhood and Birdman. I wanted to like those movies but really didn't. I was looking fwd to seeing American Sniper but now I'm not expecting a great movie as we tend to agree on movies and Tv shows.

I was just thinking the other day, I've yet to see a movie recently that I thought "wow, that was a great movie." Oh well, I'll keep looking for one.

February 17, 2015 @ 10:50 AM

@Argie

I'll bet you'll dig Whiplash.

February 17, 2015 @ 11:00 AM

Ben V

@Argie: Did you try out Popcorn time? Thoughts?

February 17, 2015 @ 11:07 AM

Argie

@Ben
Not yet. Will try this weekend.

February 17, 2015 @ 1:13 PM

Al The Royal Pain

@Ben V

I've installed it. Looks promising, but I haven't had an occasion to use it just yet.

February 17, 2015 @ 1:18 PM