Do You Want to Work at The Fan 590?

On the heels of hiring Dean Blundell as their new morning man, The Fan 590 is looking for a few more good men or women

Well, at least two. There are at least two job openings at The Fan 590 for on-air positions.

MORNING SPORTSCASTER

Job posting

Sportsnet 590 The FAN has a very rare full time opening and is seeking a Sportscaster for their Morning Show program. Reporting into the Program Director, the talented individual will play a strong role as part of a three-person sports talk show, plus deliver time-sensitive, entertaining sportscasts 3 times per hour.  If you Live, Eat and Breath everything sports, we want to meet you.

Dean Blundell & Co. already includes current morning show co-host Andrew Walker, but Rogers is looking for a third person to work with Blundell and Walker. If that's you, you should apply.

AFTERNOON CO-HOST

Job posting

Sportsnet 590 The FAN has a very rare and exciting full time opening and is seeking a Co-Host for their 1-4p afternoon show. Reporting into the Program Director, the talented individual will offer strong opinions on the world of sports and be an entertaining on-air and social media presence.  If you Live, Eat and Breath everything sports, we want to meet you.

Greg Brady has been moved from mornings to afternoons, and now they're looking for someone to co-host with him. I actually hope Andrew Walker applies for this job.

Justin

Guess this means 590 won't be promoting someone from the Ben Ennis/George Rusic/Rob Wong/Jeff Sammut overnight and weekend stable. Maybe Bill Watters will apply to be Brady's co-host? ;)

January 28, 2015 @ 8:14 PM

Jillian

Mike- any idea what they would pay for these positions?
My guess is Andrew Walker won't last 6 months with his new co-host.

January 28, 2015 @ 8:17 PM

Amanda Lang

Sure!

January 28, 2015 @ 8:17 PM

Tiny Montgomery

The Amanda Lang satire was my attempt at humour.

January 28, 2015 @ 8:18 PM

My best guess? And this is just a guess...

A lowly paid young female gets the morning show gig, Andrew Walker moves to afternoons and someone like Gerry Dee takes Walker's gig co-hosting with Blundell.

January 28, 2015 @ 8:23 PM

@Tiny Montgomery

Amanda Lang still has her gig with the CBC.

The funnier joke would have been going with Leslie Roberts. :)

January 28, 2015 @ 8:25 PM

Amy

How much does a "lowly paid young female" make in radio?

January 28, 2015 @ 8:34 PM

@Amy

Less than you'd think.

January 28, 2015 @ 8:37 PM

Lyle Lanley

Todd Shapiro should apply for the morning show job.

Jim Lang should apply for the afternoon job.

January 28, 2015 @ 8:47 PM

Don't Shoot Me

The "lowly paid young female" will probably make more money than Jim Lang and Todd Shapiro currently make in radio.

January 28, 2015 @ 9:12 PM

Anon&on

I think Walker is going to be last man standing.
I don't think Blundell has a chance of making him a sidekick or a punching bag.

January 28, 2015 @ 9:21 PM

Tiny Montgomery

@Mike

The funnier joke would have been going with Leslie Roberts. :)

You're right! :-)

January 28, 2015 @ 10:26 PM

Gary

This Blundell thing will go as well as the Andrew Krystal experiment.

January 29, 2015 @ 6:37 AM

Anonymous

Judging from recent hires, Rogers wants you to be openly homophobic.

So if you're openly homophobic, you should apply.

January 29, 2015 @ 9:12 AM

Hector

Were ratings slipping? Why the changes?

January 29, 2015 @ 9:28 AM

@Hector

"Were ratings slipping?"

No. In fact, Brady and Walker had the highest morning show ratings in CJCL history.

"Why the changes?"

At his peak at 102.1, Blundell had a 14 share and was the number-one morning DJ among men aged 18 to 49. Rogers wants that.

January 29, 2015 @ 9:39 AM

Argie

@Anonymous
I'm not defending Rogers but who are "homophobes" you're referring to?

January 29, 2015 @ 9:49 AM

Ben V

In today's world radio DJ's are treated worse than temporary foreign workers. Their pay is close to the equivalent as well. They can't complain about this either, because they can just use a computer to program music all day and drop a host.

My knowledge of this is derived from a family friend that works at a radio station formerly known as the bull.

January 29, 2015 @ 10:41 AM

@Ben V

Lydia Stratus, who was on Virgin Radio 99.9, recently publicly revealed her salary for doing on-air shifts during the weekend. She made $7.50 / hour. This was only a few years ago.

She now works for SalesForce.com.

January 29, 2015 @ 10:46 AM

Hector

A big gamble by Rogers, in my opinion. I agree with what Gary wrote. This seems a lot like the Krystal experiment. I think he had big ratings on talk radio too. Did he not?

January 29, 2015 @ 10:54 AM

Oscar

Why does Rogers bother listing an official job-posting? I'm sure Dean will have some 'brilliant' idea to have a contest where people come in, put on a diaper and the one who can last the longest without using a toilet will be his next co-host.

January 29, 2015 @ 10:56 AM

@Hector

What Krystal had and Blundell had aren't really comparable. Blundell had a much bigger audience, so his hiring does have a much bigger upside than the Krystal experiment.

But there are risks.

1. Blundell was big on FM. Will this young male "new rock" audience follow him to AM? Do kids even listen to AM anymore?

2. Blundell's schtick on 102.1 has to change for 590. It is a sports station, afterall. Will his old fans enjoy his new show?

3. Will current 590 fans be okay with an obvious drop in sports knowledge? From what I've heard and read from Blundell, his sports knowledge is pretty shallow. Just this week he tweeted about MLSE owning the Blue Jays and seemed befuddled by the rules of NBA basketball.

4. Rogers will take a PR hit for hiring Blundell... he's made some very homophobic and misogynist comments in the past. Giving him the morning show comes at a cost.

January 29, 2015 @ 11:01 AM

Argie

@Anonymous
Trust me, if Blundell makes a "homophobic" remark, he'll be gone. However, other insults towards other groups will be permitted.

January 29, 2015 @ 11:28 AM

markosaar

Tyranny of the majority.

January 31, 2015 @ 2:29 PM

Chris

@Anonymous Was he openly homophobic? Because I thought he was making a joke. A childish one. One that wasn't very funny (and I personally enjoy cringe humor) but it was clear to me that Blundell didn't seriously mean what he said... He was just doing what had made him a very a successful morning show host, and the Edge a very successful radio station; getting laughs at someone else's expense.

I'm not saying he didn't the cross the line or deserve to be fired. But I don't think he's a homophobe. I think he's a guy who like Shapiro was encouraged to do radio a certain way and deserves a second chance

February 2, 2015 @ 7:27 AM

As I suspected, Andrew Walker will not be a part of Blundell & Co. Instead, he'll re-join Greg Brady from 1-4.

February 11, 2015 @ 4:38 PM

Shawn in Burlington

Blundell and Rusic are crashing. I can't listen anymore. Too bad for Fabro. I like him.

April 20, 2015 @ 9:22 AM

Shawn in Burlington

April 20, 2015 @ 9:22 AM

Shawn in Burlington

April 20, 2015 @ 9:22 AM

Michael Joubran

Hi I was wondering if there were any openings at this moment. I love sports with hockey being my specialty, any questions I can answer with logic and reason.

February 13, 2017 @ 11:32 PM