The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

The SS Edmund Fitzgerald sank in a Lake Superior storm on November 10, 1975. All 29 on board perished.

this guest

tragic event.
great song in
remembrance

November 10, 2014 @ 6:20 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Funny coincidence. There was story in the Star today talking about WW2 vet and his wife who had been married since the end of WW2, and his name happened to be Edmund Fitzgerald.

November 10, 2014 @ 8:44 PM

Rick2

Great song.. I remember the story on the news when it happened (I suddenly feel old !!). I also saw Gordon Lightfoot sing this at the Skydome. I was pretty sure it was on Nov 10 1993, when he opened for Simon & Garfunkel (he mentioned that it was the anniversary of the sinking). I googled it to confirm

Interesting side note : that google search (the wreck of the edmund fitzgerald gordon lightfoot skydome)also linked to 2 different posts on your blog on page 1 of google.

November 10, 2014 @ 9:18 PM

Argie

@this guest
We are in agreement - finally!

November 11, 2014 @ 8:11 AM

Cheryl

I hated that song. It was so long. I don't like Gordon Lightfoot. I like some of his songs, but sung by other people, not his voice.

November 11, 2014 @ 9:50 AM

519 Rob

I love Gordon Lightfoot, but I'll take The Rheostatics version of this song everyday of the week.

(I hope I do this right...)

November 11, 2014 @ 9:57 AM

Irv

Did you know that sailing in large inland lakes is often more dangerous than in the ocean. In Bluewater (ocean) waves are spread apart so the boat/ship goes up and down. On a great lake or inland lake waves are much closer together and skittish. The boat has no time to rock back & forth.

The Fitz apparently went down because of 3 large waves that hit the boat in rapid succession.

It's a great song & true Canadiana. Apparently there are sandbars in Superior that cause issues for navigation (or did). Beautiful but dangerous lake though. The area of the north shore of Superior is one of the nicest in Canada.

November 13, 2014 @ 9:14 AM