Pat Qunn and the number 23Prior to the Leafs game last night, they showed a tribute to Pat Quinn. I thought it was pretty good. Here it is, in case you missed it. The song, by the way, is The Parting Glass by The High Kings.

Pat Quinn wore #23 for the Maple Leafs, and yesterday's 6-2 win over the Washington Capitals was full of the number 23.

• The Maple Leafs scored with 23 seconds left in the first period, then again 23 seconds into the second period.
  • When Washington scored its first goal of the game in the second period, we scored again, 23 seconds later.
  • This was the Leafs' 23rd game of the season, and we fired 23 shots on goal.

I don't believe this is anything more than a coincidence, but it's a fun one.

Justin

Pat Quinn also passed on the 23rd of November.

November 30, 2014 @ 3:33 PM

Sammi

I am not sure there are coincidences. I believe more in synchronicity. The number 23 has a lot of meaning in many religions and spirituality.

Last night was very odd.

November 30, 2014 @ 3:49 PM

@Sammi

So you think Pat Quinn's spirit somehow influenced a hockey game last night?

November 30, 2014 @ 3:59 PM

dale

Last nights game was the Leafs 23rd of the season.

Pat's coaching from above.

November 30, 2014 @ 4:55 PM

Speysidephil

@mike
Yes I do think his spirit influenced the outcome.
Something's just go way beyond coincidence, this is one of them.
It's like sensing the phone is going to ring and you know who it will be and then the phone rings. Crazy, maybe, but not coincidence.

November 30, 2014 @ 4:55 PM

@Speysidephil

Respectfully, I don't believe this is anything more than a coincidence.

I don't believe Pat Quinn has any awareness at all, let alone the awareness to coach a hockey game as dale suggests or manipulate statistical numbers.

He is now as he was before he was born.

November 30, 2014 @ 4:57 PM

Argie

I was 23....... once.

November 30, 2014 @ 8:10 PM

McNulty

I think I have agreed with Argie 2 or 3 times. Does that count?

December 1, 2014 @ 7:41 AM

mrmojorisinca

Alan Moore "There is no coincidence. Only the illusion of coincidence"

December 1, 2014 @ 9:51 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - I think this would fall under the "There is more things in heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophies" heading.

As even a staunch atheist, how you look at all those "coincidences" and not think, even for a moment, that there might be more to life than you believe...

December 1, 2014 @ 10:21 AM

@Philly-Bob

I assure you, not even a sliver of me thinks this is anything more than a coincidence.

And to be frank, it's not even that impressive a coincidence. We need a few more 23's in there to make it interesting!

December 1, 2014 @ 10:31 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - It sounds like the Ghost of Pat Quinn would have had to come down and high five the bench before you'd even consider it.

Believe in magic you muggle :)

December 1, 2014 @ 10:47 AM

@Philly-Bob

Life is full of fun coincidences. As wonderful as it would be, I simply do not believe Pat Quinn manipulated the times of goals and shot totals so they reflected the number he wore.

But then again, I don't believe he's aware he's dead, or ever lived. We lost him forever on November 23rd.

December 1, 2014 @ 10:59 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - I'm not saying that Pat Quinn was sitting up in heaven altering the outcome of the game....

I'm just saying that at some point it stops being coincidence.

December 1, 2014 @ 11:14 AM

@Philly-Bob

Please give me an example of a time a coincidence was not a coincidence.

December 1, 2014 @ 11:18 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - I would say Saturday night was a great example. But you and I look at the world differently.

I could give you a litany of stories similar to this one, but none of them would contain what you call "concrete proof". If you're looking for that, I have none.

December 1, 2014 @ 11:27 AM

@Philly-Bob

If Saturday night was a great example, then yes... we do look at the world differently.

December 1, 2014 @ 11:28 AM

McNulty

I am pretty sure if Pat Quinn's number was 15 there would be the same number of coincidences in the game. People search for meaning and grasp on to anything they can.

And I guess Pat Quinn's spirit said, "Fuck the Canucks!"

December 1, 2014 @ 11:40 AM

McNulty

And Washington had 23 penalty minutes, clearly that's another sign!

And Bozak had 2 goals and 3 shots!

And Lupul had 2 points and 3 hits!

And Reilly played 17:23!

God has spoken and he watches the Leafs....just forgets about them at playoff time.

December 1, 2014 @ 12:14 PM

Speysidephil

Why do you bring God into the conversation? It has nothing to do with God, other than using it as a lame excuse to reject the notion of something other than "coincidence".
As Phill-Bob said I could give you countless instances that take it beyond coincidence. But what's the point?

December 1, 2014 @ 3:35 PM

McNulty

Countless?

It's all in your mind. Just like when I was having my first child, everywhere I looked it seemed that everyone was getting pregnant. It wasn't really the case. It was just that I was hyper sensitive to pregnancy.

Go through other leaf games and you'll find a lot of instances of a random number showing up. To claim Pat Quinn's spirit was at the game is absurd.

It's coincidence based on people looking for a message when there isn't one.

December 1, 2014 @ 4:21 PM

Sammi

@Mike

I wasn't trying to suggest that Pat Quinn had any influence on the game but rather something a little deeper. Something like...the universe has a bit more order than most of realize. I don't believe in coincidences. I do believe in synchronicities though.

December 1, 2014 @ 6:39 PM