Tuesday Open Mike

Open MikeWelcome to this week's Tuesday Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

McNulty

This past weekend I went to the TIFF Lightbox theatre and saw the most amazing film in recent and long term memory. Richard Linklater’s Boyhood is a two hour and 45 minute masterpiece of filmmaking. You may think I am over-selling it or that I am some weird fanboy who loves coming of age movies, but this is as good as the 99% on Rotten Tomatoes and as good as any movie I’ve ever seen.

The story is just of a boy named Mason. There isn’t a distinct plot or direct story to follow. It is a series of vignettes detailing moments throughout his life over the course of 12 years and ending when he is 18. These moments are done extremely well and truly capture what it is like to grow up. I don’t want to spoil this movie for anyone so I will refrain from discussing the actual details of the movie. But it captures these moments so perfectly that I was in awe the whole time. They don’t paint this boy as perfect but they don’t judge him as well. It is like looking back at a life and witnessing it. You get to see people move in and out of his life. You get to see the pain of dealing with divorce, absentee parenting, remarriage and trying to figure out your place in the world.

I would go on about this movie but this is a comment on Mike’s site. Go see Boyhood. It is really one of the best movies I have ever seen. If you are a child of divorce, a parent of divorce, a kid who grew up or a human, then this is the movie for you.

September 2, 2014 @ 8:57 AM

Al The Royal Pain

@McNulty

It's one I'm looking forward to watching once it's available online.

September 2, 2014 @ 9:06 AM

Tiny Montgomery

@ McNulty,
Great review. Looking forward to seeing it. Is 'Boyhood' at all like the 7-Up series?

September 2, 2014 @ 9:08 AM

I can second the positive review of Boyhood.

I saw it this past week and loved it. My kids loved it as well.

It's 2 hours and 45 minutes without an actual plot and I was riveted. I can't believe I just wrote that sentence.

September 2, 2014 @ 9:16 AM

Mike from Lowville

Hey! Summers here! Maybe I won't ask for my money back!

September 2, 2014 @ 9:17 AM

Corey

@Toronto Mike -

Noticed your tweet in the sidebar:
@simmonssteve Why the CFL is a joke - Braley, owner of two teams

I guess you decided MLS is a joke too then? For some reason I thought you were a fan.

September 2, 2014 @ 9:18 AM

Broni

Went to Vaughan Mills yesterday, Labour Day, because we needed some stuff and it was one of the only places open. We accomplished what we needed to, and we got some great deals, but I left some of my sanity behind. What a zoo.

The best way I can explain the crowds is this: the chaos in the Vaughan Mills food court had me longing for the CNE food building.

September 2, 2014 @ 9:24 AM

@Corey

I think it's a joke that two teams in the CFL are owned by the same guy. Hence the tweet...

I couldn't tell you who owns what MLS team to save my life. In fact, I can only name about 5 MLS teams... but I do enjoy going when Elvis gives me one of his supporter section tickets.

September 2, 2014 @ 9:28 AM

McNulty

@ Tim

It's not a documentary at all. It is a drama written by Linklater. I think the only part that is similar is that it took a long time to produce since they used the same actors over 12 years.

@ Al

I would only say to see it in the theatre. I think it is a movie that deserves the setting.

September 2, 2014 @ 9:32 AM

@McNulty
Will definitely check it out. I liked Linklater's 3 "Sunset" movies with Ethan Hawke so I figured this one would be well written and acted.

September 2, 2014 @ 9:43 AM

McNulty

@ Argie

The acting and writing are superb. The dialogue is so genuine you forget it is scripted.

September 2, 2014 @ 10:14 AM

Blind Dave

Gorgeous early 20s day on The Prairies.

I still enjoy the CFL and it gets great support out here. Having lived in central or southern Ontario for the first 35 years of my life, and having attended many Argo games, it's pretty easy to see that east and west are two different worlds when it comes to CFL passion and support.

Kids are back in school (I only have one school age teen left) and it feels like fall. *sigh*

September 2, 2014 @ 10:59 AM

Lyle Lanley

How are the Argos doing this season? I haven't been paying attention.

September 2, 2014 @ 11:19 AM

Al Reda

Toronto Mike'd guest request / suggestion: Mike Wilner.

September 2, 2014 @ 11:22 AM

@Lyle
Good news: They're in first place in their division
Bad news: They've won only 3 of their 10 games
I didn't think it would be mathematically possible to be 3&7 and be in FIRST place....

September 2, 2014 @ 11:23 AM

Lyle Lanley

@Argie

3-7 and in first place? That's gotta be tough to do.

September 2, 2014 @ 11:28 AM

Douglas

No worries about the Argos being in first place. It's not going to last much longer. IF anyone is thinking of going to a game, the new Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton is a fantastic place to see a game. Like Ivor Wynne, there is not (won't be, once it is finished in a couple of weeks) a bad seat in the house. The seats are truly comfortable, and I think you'd have to be close to seven feet tall to not have adequate legroom, thus explaining a good portion of the reduction in seating capacity vs. Ivor Wynne. Now that Zach Collaros is back as QB, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats appear to have a decent offense on the field, too. Despite the low score, yesterday's game was decent, but the atmosphere made the experience really enjoyable. Lest you think I'm a die-hard Ti-Cat supporter, I am debating whether I will wear my Roughrider green for the next game. Despite living in the Toronto area for a few decades now, I'm still a westerner, and not a Torontonian, thus explaining my love of Canadian football.

September 2, 2014 @ 11:38 AM

Garg-o-smell

Someone should ask Humble what his lady friend thinks of the Ashley Madison sponsorship.

September 2, 2014 @ 11:40 AM

McNulty

@ Garg-o-smell

Jsut let it go! Who cares who pays them? You'd think they were being paid by murderers.

Let. It. Go.

September 2, 2014 @ 11:53 AM

markosaar

Seriously, what a pathetic obsession

September 2, 2014 @ 11:54 AM

@Garg-o-smell

You can ask him yourself. They record between 7am and 9am. Just call 18556624743 and they'll likely answer. And don't worry, they don't screen their calls.

Or, if you prefer, call them directly. Their personal numbers are here: http://www.humbleandfredradio.com/contact.php

September 2, 2014 @ 11:58 AM

this guest

I have cracked the ancient code:

the word Ash
the word Mad
the word Ley
the word Son

Follow the ley lines to the mad son covered in
Ash

September 2, 2014 @ 12:21 PM

Anonymous

Mayor Frod ‏@TOMayorRobFrod 4m
In 2010 I promised to build Scarb and Sheppard subway by 2014 without costing taxpayers a dime. 1 dime ≠ $1B. That's math folks. #TOpoli

September 2, 2014 @ 12:50 PM

Garg-o-smell

H+F Defenders, ask yourself this question::

When was the last time Humble mentioned "Lady Friend" on the air?

There is no "Lady Friend".

September 2, 2014 @ 1:06 PM

McNulty

@ Garg

There is a deep level of hate and obession to post on sites not owned by Humble and Fred and complain about their advertisers and Howard's personal life.

You should really re-evaluate your own life before condeming others.
But at least you're a dedicated listener to their program. That's sweet of you.

September 2, 2014 @ 1:34 PM

Argie

Breaking (but not surprising) news: Islamic terrorists, or as CBC calls them, "militants" have beheaded another American journalist.

September 2, 2014 @ 1:42 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Enjoyed checking out the Ongoing History yesterday even though there were all repetes and most I had already heard. I really could've went without hearing all about brit pop and Manchester again though. That's usually when I tune out.
Looking forward to new shows starting Sunday.

September 2, 2014 @ 2:37 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Oh yeah and before the grammar police gets on my ass, I meant "they" not "there"

September 2, 2014 @ 2:41 PM

Corey

@Argie -

Not surprising at all. I read a fascinating article today about IS (as they refer to themselves now) which suggests that these maniacs and their insane, unwavering adherence to their beliefs, especially in ancient Islamic prophecy may actually make them easier to deal with than Al Qaeda (a group that has no problem breaking their rules if it suits them). If you read it, you'll understand why killing the leaders of IS may actually completely destroy the entire faction (i.e.: there won't be an inexhaustible supply of replacements popping up). The leaders of IS need to be killed, and killed quickly though.

September 2, 2014 @ 2:48 PM

Sam in Pickering

Jays disappointed again, TFC is in shambles, Argos are terrible, Leafs don't look strong, Raptors are iffy. Toronto sports are terrible.

September 2, 2014 @ 3:41 PM

Al Reda

@Sam in Pickering

Toronto FC is currently in the MLS playoffs and the Raptors should be in the NBA playoffs next season as well.

September 2, 2014 @ 4:10 PM

Wayner

the only issue IO have with Ashley Madison is that horrible jingle they were playing on sirius...cheesy

September 2, 2014 @ 4:26 PM

Cheryl

Well, you're complaining about everyone being terrible. Well, here's what you do. Cheer for the Orioles. Tonight the Reds are in Baltimore. They're there for today, tomorrow and Thursday. Tonight Miguel Gonzalez on the mound. Tomorrow is Bud Norris and Thursday it's Chris Tillman. You all know the Orioles will win the World Series whether you like them or not and why not. They're a great team. As for the Leafs, the Habs are better and either them or the Coyotes get the cup. Basketball it's the Phoenix Suns. NFL football will be the Cardinals winning the Superbowl, but World Series comes first.

September 2, 2014 @ 5:11 PM

Tiny Montgomery

Regarding the insane fundamentalist faction named above: Eric Margolis (a basically conservative guy and expert on middle eastern politics) has written a very interesting article about this situation: http://ericmargolis.com/2014/08/the-mother-of-all-blowback/

September 2, 2014 @ 5:12 PM

@Cheryl

Here's an idea.

Every season, see who's leading the division on August 1 and make them your favourite team. Heck, if on September 1 a different team is leading the division, feel free to change your favourite team to that one.

This way, every season, your team will make the playoffs. It's foolproof.

September 2, 2014 @ 5:16 PM

Dawn Keibals

@ Cheryl
I actually agree on Toronto Mike's theory.. did i just say that out loud!

But if that does not work just ask your trainers wife's cousins uncle's best friend's son what his favorite team is and run with that.

September 2, 2014 @ 6:20 PM

andrew

@ Cheryl

Just ask your trainer & his wife's child who he cheers for in baseball.

I'm sure it's the Blue Jays as he wears your bib you bought him every time he eats.

P.S. I assume its BYOB to your World Series party as it should be, can't wait for the invite.

September 2, 2014 @ 6:27 PM

this guest

Rock on with
Smitherman, Edge with Protein, The Orioles, and Bob Seger.
Don't let them stop you Cheryl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 2, 2014 @ 6:33 PM

Tiny Mongomery

Now the story is come from behind Chow. As Tory's transit boondoggle becomes apparent and her plan to eliminate child poverty gains traction it should be a wild two months. Ford is about where he should be in the polls with very little room to grow.

September 2, 2014 @ 6:38 PM

Phoenix Coyotes
personal trainers
Phoenix Suns
Primus

September 2, 2014 @ 6:39 PM

Glen

Mark Hebscher blog post on Mike Wilner today.

You can also find them bickering back and forth on Twitter if you so wish.

@Wilnerness590 and @Hebsyman

September 2, 2014 @ 6:42 PM

Cheryl

Well, it's rain delayed. There was a delay in Baltimore at the beginning. They played a tiny bit and it rained again. Anyway, correction. It's Bud Norris pitching, not Miguel Gonzalez. Miguel Gonzalez tomorrow. Correction about John Mellencamp. His album is out on September 23, not 16. It will still be out before my party though.

September 2, 2014 @ 8:06 PM

Jason from Sudbury

@Toronto Mike: You forgot to throw in Primus (the phone company not the band).

September 2, 2014 @ 8:28 PM

@Jason from Sudbury

Damn, you're right. I'm going to edit my previous comment.

September 2, 2014 @ 8:32 PM

dale

@Toronto Mike

You also forgot trainer's curling & his wife's soccer updates,grocery gateway freebies & junk mail from Rogers.

September 2, 2014 @ 8:46 PM

@dale

But she hates junk mail from Rogers, and has plenty of issues with Grocery Gateway.

September 2, 2014 @ 8:50 PM

Gump

I haven't read a post from Cheryl in months (my eyes automatically 'skip' her posts) and I've increased my torontomike.com blog reading productivity by 12%! Everyone should try it!

September 2, 2014 @ 10:24 PM

Rob

@Glen

According to Dirk Hayhurst the team never muzzled him. He was often critical of the Jays and the only time they spoke to him was when he insulted some promotion.

September 2, 2014 @ 10:27 PM

Cheryl

Well, that was some game. Two fricken rain delays. that sucked, but the good news is my Orioles won 5 to 4. It was a nailbiter in the end. Well, Jonathan Schoop hit his 12th homer for the Orioles and that was great. Bud Norris picked up the win. Zack Britton the save. That was great. Anyway, Lady Antebellum has a new album coming out at the end of this month which I preordered. So you want to come to my party. As I said it's the first Saturday after the Orioles win the World Series. Well, I didn't think about whether it is BYOB. I guess that's a good idea. Anyway, I am not going to keep changing teams. I didn't keep changing teams in any other sport so not in baseball. It's Orioles forever now.

September 3, 2014 @ 4:37 AM

Corey

So Ricky Gervais tweeted the following, in reaction to the celebrity photo leak thing:

“Celebrities, make it harder for hackers to get nude pics of you from your computer by not putting nude pics of yourself on your computer.”

He's now being attacked by people who are outraged that he is "blaming the victims". I'm still struggling to see what was wrong with his statement.

September 3, 2014 @ 7:30 AM

@Corey
Gervais is spot-on, as usual. Considering the fact that these are celebrities, one would expect them to be a little more careful as to where they store things like nude shots (for their own sake).

September 3, 2014 @ 8:30 AM

@Corey @Argie

The problem with Gervais's tweet (and I'm as big a Gervais fan as there is) is that it's in the same vein as blaming the rape victim because she wore a very short skirt.

September 3, 2014 @ 8:32 AM

Ben Vidal

@ Toronto Mike: That's a stretch in the best of circumstances. I don't see how taking nude selfies and posting them to a cloud or sending them via text and then having someone steal that information from the internet is the same as rape as a result of a small skirt.

What's the first rule of the internet, you don't own anything you put on there.

If there were no nude pictures put anywhere, then no one could steal them. A rapist is going to rape regardless of whether or not a woman is wearing a short skirt.

September 3, 2014 @ 8:42 AM

Ben Vidal

I don't send pics of my dong out to women, or put them up in a cloud. Mainly because I think it would be creepy, but mostly because I don't have control over that anymore.

September 3, 2014 @ 8:43 AM

Ben Vidal

@ Argie: I'm surprised you would say Gervais is spot-on as usual. Gervais quite frequently tweets comments that criticize religion and perpetuates his stance as an atheist.

September 3, 2014 @ 8:54 AM

@Ben Vidal

I'm not suggesting the crimes are equal, merely the "blame the victim" aspect.

September 3, 2014 @ 8:59 AM

root

Wow Corey!

Such a cavalier attitude blaming the victim(s) of a crime now being investigated by the FBI. For your own edification the hackers are believed to have used EPPB (Phone Password Breaker) & iBrute. The former is sold by a Russian company. You can't buy that software at Future Shop.

Do you have a phone Corey? Do you have a computer? Is that computer Windows, Linux or Mac OS? Do you run Java, Flash, Adobe or other add-ons in your system? Do you patch your system the minute the patches are released? Does the account you use to login have administration rights? Have you ever used wireless offered by a restaurant, cafe or business? Do you have wireless at home? The vast majority of wireless routers can be compromised in minutes if they have a typical password. Have you updated the firmware on your wireless router recently? All of these examples are examples of absolutely basic security.

September 3, 2014 @ 9:03 AM

Ben Vidal

The FBI loves this stuff. The FBI is investigating thousands of things from small time to big time. The only reason this is even being investigated is because the people involved are famous. If it was a regular woman, you think the FBI would concern themselves?

@ Root: I'm not sure what your second paragraph is supposed to point out? Basic internet security or a tie in to hacking celebrity nude pics?

September 3, 2014 @ 9:26 AM

markosaar

Normally I despise editorialised headlines, but this BlogTO one says it all:

"Rob Ford releases fantasy subway plan"

September 3, 2014 @ 9:40 AM

Tiny Montgomery

He is touted as a businessman and yet there has no feasible (realistic) plan to pay for these subways. Not only that - surface rail plans in place (with financing in place) require financial penalties to cancel. It doesn't make any sense.

September 3, 2014 @ 9:47 AM

Argie

I get annoyed when people play the "you're blaming the victim" card. Mike, you don't sound bent out of shape over Gervais' comments so this is not really directed at you.

Its not that we're blaming the victim - we're only saying its not ion your best interest to do something or put yourself in a position where you could be a victim. For example, I wouldn't hang around Jane and Finch at midnight - for me own safety (unless of course I'm meeting my best bud, Rob Ford....).

In a perfect world, women SHOULD be able to wear short skits anytime they want, everyone SHOULD be able to put nude pictures on Cloud and I SHOULD be able to hang around Jane & Finch at night.

September 3, 2014 @ 9:48 AM

@Ben
I like Gervais for the same reason I liked Christopher Hitchens - they're both hilarious, even when I don't agree with them. Unlike Dawkins, who is a complete bore.

September 3, 2014 @ 9:52 AM

Philly-bob

@ Argie - You are correct sir. I don't consider this blaming the victim. Obviously these hackers need to be punished. But celebs (especially A-listers like Jennifer Lawrence) know that pictures of them going to the store sell for thousands of dollars, let alone nude pics.

If I left a stack of money sitting on my front porch overnight, and it was gone in the morning, would you coddle me and blame the perp, or would you say:

"Phil...why the fuck would you leave that stack of money where anyone can take it?"

We'd all still want the money recovered and the person who took it punished, but common sense would dictate that I am at least a little to blame.

Similarly, if a beautiful famous actress leaves naked pictures of herself out in "the cloud"...

Save that shit to a usb if you need to keep them. There has been enough precedent of famous people having these types of pictures leaked, that people should know better by now.

September 3, 2014 @ 9:56 AM

this guest

Were these images
taken/stolen from a phone?

September 3, 2014 @ 10:51 AM

root

The FBI investigates cyber crime regardless of income or status. Had this been an attack against a group of school girls they would have been called in to investigate. It likely wouldn't have hit mainstream media but it would still have been investigated.

Mr Philly-Bob so you're saying that if someone stores information in the cloud that they are at fault for having their privacy breached? I'm sorry to inform you but your information is stored in the cloud by a multitude of corporations and governments. If a group of script kiddies can penetrate and steal data from governments & big business what makes you think you're secure? A malicious person could sit outside of Starbucks in their car, set up an access point "Free Starbucks", wait for you to connect, collect all your data & install a keystroker logger on your machine in about 10 minutes. All the AES-256 symetric encryption used by your bank would be rendered moot.

If these women are at risk then you are at risk. If you think you are not, you simply have no understanding of information security.

September 3, 2014 @ 10:57 AM

Argie

Is it me or does "root" resemble Irvine?

September 3, 2014 @ 11:06 AM

@Argie

I follow Ricky Gervais on Twitter for gems like this:

"Same sex marriage isn't gay privilege, it's equal rights. Privilege would be something like gay people not paying taxes. Like churches don't."

September 3, 2014 @ 11:25 AM

@Mike
I wonder how he feels about polygamy.

September 3, 2014 @ 11:29 AM

@Argie

Are you reading from the Rick Santorum playbook now? Do you same-sex marriage fighters all get the same pamphlets with the same talking points?

Is your next question going to be about bestiality?

September 3, 2014 @ 11:35 AM

markosaar

Loved this column:

Meanwhile, the NDP’s Peggy Nash—who, by all accounts, is an actual person and not a fictional construct of The Onion—gravely warned of the potential consequences of the Tim Hortons brand “falling into foreign hands.”

Yes, imagine the consequences. Maybe these madcap foreign owners will go so far as to alter the sandwiches so they taste like . . .  something. Preferably like sandwich, but, at this point, most of us have stopped being picky.

September 3, 2014 @ 11:35 AM

@markosaar

Peggy Nash was my old MPP.... I quite like her and voted for her twice before moving to a new riding.

The Tim Hortons alignment with Canadiana is just good marketing on their part, but I never bought in. I actually dislike Tim Hortons coffee and only drink it as a last resort. I much prefer McDonald's coffee.

September 3, 2014 @ 11:40 AM

@Mike
Santorum is great but no, there is playbook. Are you equating bestiality with polygamy?

September 3, 2014 @ 11:44 AM

@Argie

Nope, just a preemptive strike. The church argument against same-sex marriage always starts with the suggestion it's a gateway drug to legal polygamy followed by the suggestion it will lead to bestiality and worse.

I personally see it as a civil rights issue. Homosexuals are equal to heterosexuals and are entitled to the same rights and freedoms.

September 3, 2014 @ 11:47 AM

@Mike
I've never seen a RC church cleric use the analogy of bestiality. Yes, polygamy is used as it should because we're now seeing several groups/cults challenge our polygamy laws.

Like you, I'm also for equal rights for everyone.

September 3, 2014 @ 11:53 AM

@Argie

Here in Canada, where the main religion is RC, I doubt this subject is talked about much at all. Same-sex marriage has been legal here for quite some time now and isn't ever going away. Like pro-choice, it's no longer a topical talking point. Canada has evolved.

But in the USA, especially in the south where the main religions are more bible thumping than RC, they use the analogy of bestiality. I doubt same-sex marriage will ever be legal in the bible belt.

September 3, 2014 @ 11:56 AM

Tiny Montgomery

I wonder if the deep south has the same level (29%) of child poverty as Toronto or if the same % of children go to bed hungry, go to school hungry. I'm guessing it might be a bit higher but I don't know. Each one of us probably lives within ten minutes of a hungry child in Toronto.

September 3, 2014 @ 12:25 PM

McNulty

Wow.

We went from take nudes of yourself to marriage equality. Nicely done.

My thoughts - Gervais was making a joke. It wasn't blaming anyone. I think they didn't need to attack him about it. Cee Lo Green is the one who deserves the ire of the public. Not Ricky.

I won't get into the marriage debate. It shouldn't even be a debate. The best wedding I have been to was between two men. How that ceremony is illegal in some places is beyond comprehension.

September 3, 2014 @ 2:14 PM

doored

War on cars ramps up. Can we blame Hans Christian Anderson?

September 3, 2014 @ 2:21 PM

@Argie

I'm not as bored by Dawkins as you are. I'm rather fond of how he puts a sentence together, like this one from The God Delusion:

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

September 3, 2014 @ 3:14 PM

markosaar

I'm actually surprised Argie is bored by Dawkins.

"Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world if you have the choice," when asked what to do if a pregnant woman were to discover the child she was carrying had Down's Syndrome.

Also this was a big deal recently:

(Not going to comment, but I don't find it boring.)

September 3, 2014 @ 3:34 PM

Tiny Montgomery

LeDrew asked how Ford planned to get a tunnel across the Don Valley. Ford ignored him and talked about how he has always supported subways.

September 3, 2014 @ 3:51 PM

Cheryl

Well, more junk mail from Bell came. I think they are just wasting their time sending me stuff. I don't need it and Canada Post doesn't have to put it in my mailbox or anything, but they say they do. Rogers and Bell like to send out junk mail. Primus doesn't because they are great and they won awards for best customer service. Well, the Orioles game better start on time tonight. No rain delays please. Gonzalez pitches tonight. They are resting top players though. There was no Markakis yesterday and no Adam Jones today. Oh well, they'll still win and win the World Series.

September 3, 2014 @ 4:52 PM

Corey

@Argie - yes, Root is Irv. This begs the question of what being banned actually means, but never mind that. His comments reinforce Gervais' point, and what I and any sensible person already know. We live in a world now where you should expect your information will be compromised. Every other week there's a story of some major corporation having their customers data stolen, so why the fuck would you think your nude photos are going to be magically protected?
You have no control over the security of the data the government collects, or credit card companies or banks. You have complete control over whether you take digital photos of your naked body and upload them (or leave them on a network accessible device). If you do that, you're responsible and you're an idiot.
This "victim shaming" angle that equates this to shaming a rape victim who wore a short skirt is bullshit. Here's why: there is no correlation between wearing a short skirt and being raped, so it's stupid and wrong to victim shame someone. There is a correlation between leaving something of value unsecured, and having that item stolen by an opportunistic thief.

September 3, 2014 @ 5:31 PM

@Mike
I'm sure I've covered this in our previous debates but Christianity does not use the OT as an instructional Manuel on what's right and what's wrong. Followers of Judaism and Islam do while we use the New Testament.

The OT is used as a reference which is why Jesus is the all important link between the two. Admittedly I'm simplifying things but I'm surprised someone as brilliant as Dawkins doesn't know this.

So yeah, Dawkins and his disciples like yourself can slam the OT all you want - it's only included in our bible as context, or as a reference point.

September 3, 2014 @ 8:39 PM

Corey

Q: How do you know if someone is an atheist?

A: Don't worry, they'll tell you.

Ba dum dum!

September 3, 2014 @ 9:01 PM

Argie

Note to all: iPads suck when it comes to auto-correct. That is all.

Corey - I liked your riddle.

September 3, 2014 @ 9:18 PM

Tiny Montgomery

The Old Testament and the New Testament are called The Holy Bible, the infallible word of god. All evangelicals and fundamentalists believe this book is the literal Word of God. EXAMPLE: The Book of Genesis account of creation in 6 days is what spurred CREATIONISM. That's in the Old Testament applied to contemporary 'Christian' reasoning.

September 3, 2014 @ 10:03 PM

Cheryl

well, great game last night. Miguel Gonzalez pitched a complete game and won 6 to 0. Yes, my beloved Orioles did it again. It's 6 to 0. Wonderful. Jonathan Schoop, David Lough and chris Davis hit home runs. Chris Davis's was a two run homer though and the others were singles. This is great. They wrap up the series tonight. Chris tillman is on the mound for tonight. This is what I mean. If you want a good baseball team to cheer for, cheer for the Orioles. You might as well because they are going to win the World Series.

September 4, 2014 @ 4:35 AM

this guest

convoluted, selective interpretations of the Old Testament
in Christian American circles
lead pharmacists to ban birth control sales,
of pills, to women as they
play God - as they play 'vengeful, punishing God'

September 4, 2014 @ 7:41 AM

Ben vidal

Selective hearing and reading pretty much sums up Christianity. I would have problems with any two books that are linked by Jesus in which there was also the appearance of a talking snake.

I'm curious who states openly that the OT is used as a reference or for context? I guess as long as the old testament is used in a bibliography for the new testament when submitting fictional works to your creative writing class you won't get dinged on marks.

@This guest: You are completely right. It's a funny thing the way the US works. No abortions, no birth control because that's against god. We must punish you. However when you have the kid and you can't afford it nor have the means to take care of it properly, well you can go eff yourself you are on your own. Where is the caring hand of god then?

September 4, 2014 @ 10:18 AM

@McNulty
I case you're still wondering, I didn't bring religion or abortion or anything like that into this Open Mike. I simply gave props to Gervais and Mike went into his love for Dawkins and then Ben and this guest jumped on the anti-Christian bandwagon.

Enjoy the ride, guys.

September 4, 2014 @ 10:30 AM

@Argie

Actually, you brought up Dawkins. You wrote "Unlike Dawkins, who is a complete bore."

I merely stated I liked how he turned a phrase...

September 4, 2014 @ 10:35 AM

@Mike
Correct, I first mentioned Dawkins. I only was contrasting him with more interesting atheists like Gervais and Hitchens.

And yes, I still find him boring.

September 4, 2014 @ 10:41 AM

this guest

I pointed out how the old testament is intrinsic
to evangelical and fundamental christianity
quoted, embraced, adored,
a tool, a weapon, a purifying fire

September 4, 2014 @ 10:43 AM

@this guest
What are your thoughts on the Koran and interpretations of many of its followers?

(this should be interesting)

September 4, 2014 @ 10:48 AM

this guest

Argie,
I spent a third of my life involved with Christianity after being
'born again'
I was encouraged to attend Bible seminary by my 'pastor' (and didn't)
& left that faith after much contemplation & consideration,
as for the Koran I've never read it
but will say this: all 'male gods' or 'fathers in heaven' or those of
'He deity' status i.e. patriarchy: I consider usurpers of original spirituality.
Again, this conclusion reached after much consideration.

September 4, 2014 @ 10:55 AM

this guest

not a fan of Dawkins either
I feel he squeezes all the juice out of the rag
Happy Birthday
have a cracker

September 4, 2014 @ 11:13 AM

Cheryl

Well, I decided to join a football pool organized by a few people in my building. Everyone had to pick two teams no matter what division they're in or not. The person who has the most wins at the end of the regular season gets $100.00. That's money. Anyway, I picked the Cardinals, of course. Since I had to pick two teams, my other team is the Baltimore Ravens. No other person can pick the same teams. Hopefully I am going to win. Anyway, Orioles will win tonight. It's the last home game for a while. They're in Tampa Bay this weekend.

September 4, 2014 @ 4:51 PM

Cheryl

Well, that was some wild game last night. It was a slow game. At least my Orioles won so that's good, but they could have held onto the 7 to 2 lead. Instead they won 9 to 7 with a shaky bull pen. Chris Tillman had a no decision. the winner was tommy Hunter. Home runs were a single homer by Jonathan Schoop, a two run homer by Nelson Cruz and a three run homer by Chris Davis. Kelly Johnson also got his first RBI. Now next stop is in Tampa Bay. Wei-Yin chen pitches tonight. Then it's Kevin Gausman tomorrow and bud Norris on Sunday. Let's sweep them. Well, I upgraded my football audio pass. Since I have the Ravens in my pool, I wanted to be able to follow them as well. I wasn't sure how much I had to pay, but it was only $2.99 to upgrade so I did it so I can follow the Ravens and Cardinals. The problem is that there is baseball on at the same time as the Ravens game. the Ravens is at 1:00 and the Orioles is at 1:40. What should I do. Maybe stick with baseball until it ends or I guess I could listen to a bit of football before baseball starts. I don't know what to do.

September 5, 2014 @ 4:44 AM