Rob Ford, Doug Ford and the Crazification Factor

Rob Ford, Doug Ford and the Crazification FactorThe crazification factor is a neologism coined by blogger John Rogers to refer to the portion of the electorate comprising the nuttiest of the wingnuts and the batshit crazy. The passage relates to the 2004 Senate election in Illinois, and reads:

Obama vs. Alan Keyes. Keyes was from out of state, so you can eliminate any established political base; both candidates were black, so you can factor out racism; and Keyes was plainly, obviously, completely crazy. Batshit crazy. Head-trauma crazy. But 27% of the population of Illinois voted for him. They put party identification, personal prejudice, whatever ahead of rational judgement. Hell, even like 5% of Democrats voted for him. That's crazy behaviour. I think you have to assume a 27% crazification factor in any population.

Furthermore, another factor in Obama's favour at the time that Rogers didn't mention is that the original Republican candidate, Jack Ryan, had been forced to suspend his candidacy after his divorce and custody records were released to the press, revealing that he had taken his former wife, actress Jeri Ryan, to various sex clubs (including, in at least one case, a bondage club) and tried to have her perform sex acts on him out in the open. Keyes was the GOP's last-minute replacement on the ticket after the sordid details of Ryan's divorce came out. So not only was it a normal candidate running against a clearly crazy opponent, but the crazy guy also had the baggage of the last guy's sex scandal following him, and had been drafted into the campaign with little time to prepare.

This 27% support is tattooed in my cranium as the batshit crazy support I thought Rob Ford would end up with. With Rob out and Doug in, I suspect he'll end up with that same 27%.

And 27% won't win you this election,thankfully.

Argie

Yes, Mike, anyone who thinks Ford is the best of a bad lot is completely crazy.

That is probably your most offensive posting ever.

BTW, how was Keyes crazy as this disturbed blogger indicates? Was it because he was socially conservatives??? What was his reasoning? Or was there any reasoning?

September 24, 2014 @ 8:45 AM

@Argie

The point is, you'll find 27% support for just about anything, no matter how crazy.

Ford Nation represents the very worst this city has to offer. They shame us all.

September 24, 2014 @ 8:48 AM

J

I don't know what was worse, the Ford Nation anti-gay chants yesterday or when they told Olivia Chow to go back to China.

The worst of the worst hide behind the Ford Nation banner. And the Fords do nothing to condemn the bigotry because they agree and it helps their brand.

Ugh.

September 24, 2014 @ 8:53 AM

Argie

Doesn't Chow have about 27% of the vote currently? One could deduct there's your 27% crazy factor.

Obviously, one would have to be at the very least mentally unstable to vote for someone as intellectually shallow and politically warped like Chow.

Hey, but who am I to judge?

September 24, 2014 @ 8:56 AM

The braying crowd last night supporting Doug Ford
represents a percentage of the population
known as the 'lumpenproletariat.'
A sociological term describing disenfranchised,
yet unintelligent, mobs.

Alan Keyes:
"... at a Gun Owners of New Hampshire meeting ... He received a raucous standing ovation when he stated that gun owners are pro-life and their guns are to defend the lives of the unborn."

September 24, 2014 @ 8:58 AM

@Argie

Crazy has nothing to do with right vs. left.

Olivia Chow may not be the best debater, and may not be the best public speaker, but she's the furthest thing from crazy in this campaign.

September 24, 2014 @ 9:00 AM

@this guest
He still couldn't have been any worse than Obie as president.

September 24, 2014 @ 9:03 AM

this guest

The trouble with normal is it always gets worse.
Bruce Cockburn

September 24, 2014 @ 9:05 AM

@Mike
How do we define "crazy"? Is that word only allowed to be defined by you and people like you? That doesn't sound very progressive does it?

September 24, 2014 @ 9:06 AM

Blind Dave

I see the Fords as having the loyal, avid, and rabid supporters who think with their hearts, or think collectively, rather than with their heads in an individual and logical manner.

The others (Tory, Chow, and the rest...) will be voted for based on support they have earned, though in a much less passionate way, or by those who vote for the one who would do the least amount of damage.

This is not an indictment of the Fords. In fact, I don't think I have ever criticized them personally on this blog. My comments are an observation. The tone of the support that the Fords get is remarkably different than the support any other candidate would get.

I am not narrow in my politics. I have voted both left and right over the years based on what is best for my family and best for the times in general. But I have never, ever found a politician on any level that I have looked at and thought, "Wow, he da man, man!" Yet that is the very feeling the Ford family bring out in many of their followers.

September 24, 2014 @ 9:07 AM

@Argie

The difficulty I have in debating anything with you is that you paint everything right or left. You despise all "left" and worship all "right".

I don't look at things that way. John Tory, for example, seems awfully conservative, but I don't think he's crazy.

99% of what Doug Ford says is a lie, and the fanatical support he has seems to be based on divisive hate. Supporting that, my friend, is crazy.

September 24, 2014 @ 9:09 AM

this guest

didn't Einstein say the definition of insanity is trying to solve a problem
by repeating the same behaviour that created the problem.

behaviour = mental patterns, thought processes, attitudes,
decision making,

September 24, 2014 @ 9:10 AM

Ben Vidal

Why were so many people ok with Rob Ford boycotting the Toronto Star, and I would argue right wing people at that. Yet here is Justin Trudeau boycotting Sun media, because that a-hole crazy piece of trash Ezra Levant called his dead father a whore. If you had listened to 1010 this morning you would have thought that this was the lowest possible thing Trudeau could do. Even insinuating he was spineless for doing so. Which is crazy even for 1010, because they used to be all aboard the ford nation train.

September 24, 2014 @ 9:17 AM

this guest

Chow wants to feed children.
Almost 30 % of the children in Toronto are hungry.
This is crazy to feed children?
People who support feeding children are crazy?
Jesus Christ would feed hungry children.

September 24, 2014 @ 9:18 AM

Anonymous

Put Ezra Levant in the ring with Justin Trudeau.

September 24, 2014 @ 9:21 AM

Ezra was right, again.

September 24, 2014 @ 9:24 AM

@Ben
You mean Ford supporters at 1010 like John Moore or John Downs?

September 24, 2014 @ 9:26 AM

Argie

"what about the children?"

September 24, 2014 @ 9:36 AM

ezra gerbil nuts levant
at the high school dance
rejected again
he'll get even
with them
all

September 24, 2014 @ 9:37 AM

Ben Vidal

Says a lot about the darkness in your soul Argie, when you are ok with Ezra Levant calling Trudeau's dead father a whore, yet have problems with mike calling the Ford's zombie like following crazy. So accepting of you as a man that stands before god. It says even more when you have no problem supporting bullies in politics.

Ezra crossed the line from a supposed political analyst into the realm of dark almost homo erotic fascination with Trudeau when he bothered to create an anti Trudeau website. The good news is no one watches sun news, only the few dregs of Canadian society get their news from this hateful POS while holding their guns tightly to their chest.

Sue Ann Levy, AKA the ford shill was on the radio last week. She admonished all of Ford's detractors for even suggesting the cancer could be linked to his predilection to crack and alcohol. Yet in that same conversation blamed his detractors for his alcoholism and drug use. Even making a statement along the lines that such stress caused by the criticism he receives has been known to cause cancer. WTF? I thought for a second she was going to cry on air for the Ford's and all the tough things they've had to go through in life.

Lastly it was hysterical when Doug Ford said Tory had grown up with a silver spoon in his mouth. Say what Mr Deco labels inherited wealth?

September 24, 2014 @ 9:53 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Ben - JT is fully within his rights to boycott the Sun over a comment like that. Show me a politician who isn't a whore in some form or another.

Now, had they attached P.E.T.'s policies, or the fact that the man spoke out of both sides of his mouth (in 2 different languages no less)or pointed out that JT is a silver spoon man-child trying to sit at the big boy table, then JT would have had to suck it up, because those things are true.

@ Argie- C'mon man, I'm as Anti-Chow as you are, but to support anyone named Ford right now is grounds to have a mental evaluation performed. Doug is not "the best of a bad lot" Tory is.....

September 24, 2014 @ 9:54 AM

Rob

@Ben

I always think it is better to take the higher road when it comes to media. Showing an emotional response gives them more attention thus their article on you is a win-win.

That being said, Trudeau is boycotting them if they don't respond to his allegations that their editorial "crossed the line by airing a personal attack on the Trudeau family that was offensive and breached any reasonable measure of editorial integrity,". Which even by the lowest standards, calling someone a whore lacks any editorial integrity.

The Toronto Stars story which lead to Fords did have some semblance of news, via providing two sources that backed up their claims. While the alleged player "assaulted" (used the term loosely) claim this circumstance never occurred.

The Sun Media segment was a vulgar personal opinion piece that pretends to be news while the Toronto Star is sensationalized news that is actually reporting news based on actual sources. Doesn't mean the sources can't be wrong, simply I don't believe they make up stuff. Thus, the video of Ford smoking crack. They got accused of lying and relying on a drug dealer for a source, it turned out that there was truth to the story and Ford was a liar. That being said, it is a slippery slope when they sensationalize these stories on Ford with unflattering photos and headlines that are more insults than a proper title. Where do we draw the line and say it is unacceptable? I don't know. When it comes to calling someone a "whore"...I think it clearly crosses the line.

That being said, I don't criticize either for boycotting. I don't think it is the smartest of moves politically but I believe a person has a right to defend themselves.

September 24, 2014 @ 10:03 AM

@Ben
Your hatred for Levant is worrisome. Sure, disagree with him and dislike his style but the venom you're spewing is a bit over the top.

I admit, Levant spends too much time on slamming JT but its the same how the Star has covered Ford (even before he became mayor). Besides, JT hardly ever spoke with SN people in the past. He usually avoids their questions like the plague.

@Phil
If you're right, I must be crazy too then. Funny how I've survived thus far without any meds or psych visits.

September 24, 2014 @ 10:07 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Argie - Millions of people go undiagnosed every day, perhaps you're one of them.

I, for one, don't think so. I think you'd vote for Tory if you had a vote, and just enjoy stirring the pot with this Ford crap...

September 24, 2014 @ 10:15 AM

Ben Vidal

@ Rob: I concur with what you said. It's not even that he called JT a whore, but his long passed father.

I don't believe I ever criticized Ford for not dealing with the star.

It's not going hurt JT politically. Obama did the same thing with Fox News and look how that turned out. I think what it does do is give a spot light to Levant, which he should be thanking JT for.

Of course The Star has sensationalized stories, but all of it has been based on the foundation of journalism. Levant on the other hand does not do any favors to the right wing voters of this country. He's as bad if not worse than Hannity and his ilk in the US.

Thankfully hardly anybody watches Levant, except people like Argie.

@Argie: Of course obfuscate and ignore directly the comments people ask you to address. To your comment to Phil, many people with mental illness go their entire life without being properly diagnosed. I wouldn't find it funny if I were you.

September 24, 2014 @ 10:18 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Ben - When did I say it was funny?

September 24, 2014 @ 10:34 AM

@Ben
"obfuscate" Damn, there you go using that word again. Can't you and your buddies come up with a newer, trendier word?

I did address your assertion. I wrote I agreed with you, Levant and SN have gone after JT.

September 24, 2014 @ 10:34 AM

McNulty

Most of Ford Nation is built upon lies, mistruths and hatred against the people they feel are marginalizing them. Unfortunately, they take their leadership from the Fords who lie to them and point fingers in the wrong direction. John Tory may be rich, he may be slightly out of touch, but he isn't a tax and spend person.

It lacks common sense to claim the rich are all about spending your money. But it gets traction with the Fords (who are rich).

Argie isn't a true Ford Nation supporter. He just like to light fires and watch them burn. He has said many times he would like to see Rob or Doug win just to watch the lefties explode. He won't ever say why he enjoys watching it.

Not all of Ford Nation are racists but we heard a few last night. The stuff said about Chow was repugnant. I don't like her policies but she's been a public servant most of her life and she isn't doing it to become rich. She does it because she feels she is helping out her community.

September 24, 2014 @ 10:34 AM

Argie
you are sowing the seeds
for sad surprises and
shocks to your system down the
road
self inflicted
and you will wonder
why and how
too late

September 24, 2014 @ 10:35 AM

Ben Vidal

What's worse is that you can picture the racist comments that came from some of the Ford Nation supporters last night to come directly from Rob or Doug's mouth.

September 24, 2014 @ 10:39 AM

Remember at Pierre Trudeaus' funeral
Mike Duffy kindly reminded
Margaret (in shock) that today would
have been her deceased son's birthday?
And she broke down.
This is the sort of scum
we are dealing with
in Ezra Levant.

September 24, 2014 @ 10:39 AM

Irv

@Argie

Let's review:

- Rob Ford is accused of smoking crack
- Rob Ford says there is no video
- Rob Ford said this is the agenda of "maggots" (media)
- Rob Ford says he has no drinking problem
- Doug Ford says Rob Ford has no drinking or addiction issues

This continues until a video, from a reliable source (that being the police) is presented where Rob Ford is seen smoking from what is commonly referred to as a crack pipe (or rig on the streets).

Ford later comes public that he has a problem. He admits himself into rehab. Mr Ford does not apologize for outright lying to the citizens of Toronto. In case you missed it Argie, those citizens, UNLIKE YOURSELF, pay his salary & expenses.

FYI, seeing it's after the fact now, I will comment on something. It was clear both Fords were lying. A person (like myself) who understands and is skilled in FACS (Facial Action Coding System) could clearly read the emotions emulating from both parties. FACS is used by police, RCMP, intelligence agencies etc as a means to analyze non verbal behaviour. It is very accurate. And knowing how police work with evidence & information, I'm very sure much more will come out in the coming legal trial(s).

In short Argie, Ford is a lair. Just like Dalton McGuinty was. You do remember him right? Wasn't he often called a "Lieberal" and a "Fiberal".

Rob Ford signed up to be a politician. You are expected to carry yourself with professionalism & integrity. Leadership is not elevation to power, it's submission to duty.

September 24, 2014 @ 10:49 AM

George Smitherman

VOTE SMITHERMAN

Especially you Cheryl!

September 24, 2014 @ 10:52 AM

@McNulty
If I really wanted Toronto to suffer I would be supporting Chow.

September 24, 2014 @ 11:01 AM

Dan

"Following the inauguration, Keyes alleged that President Obama had not been constitutionally inaugurated, refused to call him president, and called him a "usurper" and a "radical communist". Keyes also claimed that President Obama's Birth Certificate had been forged and he was not qualified to be president"

Sounds pretty crazy. Maybe "ideological fanatic" would be more accurate.

September 24, 2014 @ 11:25 AM

Dan

"Yes, Rob had way too many issues but unfortunately, when compared to his competition Doug is the best of a bad lot."

Now you're just trolling. Rob was and is a criminal. His brother is a criminal. Doug isn't the "best of a bad lot", he's the worst of any lot period. He refuses to accept basic facts on transit, housing, the laws of physics, you name it. And he's incapable of stepping outside his personal alternate reality bubble world.

September 24, 2014 @ 11:27 AM

Argie

Then again, its Mike's blog and his rules.

September 24, 2014 @ 11:36 AM

Speysidephil

I didn't realize Rob and Doug were criminals. When did they go to trial and how much time did they spend in jail?
Just curious!

September 24, 2014 @ 11:39 AM

Irv

@Speyside

Is OJ Simpson a criminal?.

September 24, 2014 @ 12:02 PM

Speysidephil

@Irv

Yes in my view he is, unfortunately the murder trial jury found otherwise.

September 24, 2014 @ 12:06 PM

Mike from Lowville

Hey! Argue! The world is full of acronyms. Over the years while reading your comments on this blog, I've tried to find an acronym that best discribed you IMO. I finally have one. See if you can decipher it. A.S.S.H.O.L.E.

September 24, 2014 @ 12:07 PM

James Edgar

@Argie
"I stand by my initial post that what Mike wrote was offensive. This is not about Chow, Tory, FACS or some random poster named Dan calling me a troll.

Then again, its Mike's blog and his rules."

I certainly agree with your last sentence.

As for the first? A proven liar ,Alcoholic and drug addicted mayor still has support from quite a number of people (27% or not I don't know). but seriously how can you not call those supporters crazy? Clinically insane ? Probably not , just plain old regular batshit crazy .

Now his brother is running in his place,he certainly looks like a liar from where I'm standing but does not appear to be addicted to drugs or alcohol so good news there. But he is still a Ford and appears to be more than a little unbalanced. Supporting him sure looks like a bit of crazy to me.

Especially when you see that Doug is trying to carry out the policies of Rob.

The policies of a A Drug and alcohol addicted liar.

Wait I just re read that last sentence , Argie You're right the rational thing to do is obviously to support Ford. I'll swing by that campaign headquarters and volunteer right away!

September 24, 2014 @ 12:24 PM

Irv

@Speyside

Ah.

hmmmm:

- Rob Ford admits to using crack
- Under the CCC, crack is a schedule 1 drug & possession is prohibited.

It's very likely that no charge was laid because police realize getting a conviction was unlikely. The defense could argue there was no "proof" he was smoking crack even if he admitted to it. That's your legal system my friend.

But, with both you and Argie around I want to play troll just for a minute and use a doozy. Bin Laden was never convicted of terrorism against the USA. Oh sure, he ADMITTED TO IT (like Rob Ford) but..he was never convicted. Therefore, using your logic, LOL, he is not a criminal and not a terrorist

Good night
!

September 24, 2014 @ 12:28 PM

Speysidephil

Yep, only the crazy left can take it from Rob, to Doug, to OJ and then all the way to Bin Laden. Unbelievable.
Any wonder we are batshit crazy.

September 24, 2014 @ 12:38 PM

Argie

With the cast of loony's (M fr Lowville, Irv & James) it seems the nutty pot is calling the kettle "batshit crazy."

September 24, 2014 @ 12:44 PM

LOL

Welcome back Mr. Irv.

September 24, 2014 @ 12:51 PM

Anonymous

Hypocrisy at it's finest. Speyside gets his panties in a knot about people calling Ford a criminal because that's what they think. Yet he's allowed to consider OJ a criminal for a crime he was never convicted of.

And he has the balls to call others crazy?

September 24, 2014 @ 1:08 PM

this guest

doug ford looks like he deserves a cameo in Triumph of the Will
looking stoically
into the banners
fluttering in the breeze
helmet firmly affixed
iron cross in his eye
glinting

death to communism
death to socialism

September 24, 2014 @ 1:15 PM

I like the bit where Doug Ford
who inherited millions from his father
telling John Tory he was born with a silver spoon
in his mouth

where was your silver spoon jammed doug?

September 24, 2014 @ 1:19 PM

Philly-Bob

I hate when this guest does silly crap like his post at 13:15, because it puts me in the position of having to defend the Fords.

@ this guest - you sir are as big a troll as the people here accuse Argie of being. Did you really just liken Doug Ford to the Nazi movement? Really?

Doug Ford is a liar, a cheat, a former drug dealer and an all around horrible human being.

He is NOT, however, a war criminal or mass murderer. Shame on you for even implying such. Doing this is a slap in the face of the people who were tortured and killed by the Nazi's and to those who fought and gave their lives defeating them.

Shame on you this guest, you should be disgusted with yourself...I know I am.

September 24, 2014 @ 1:24 PM

Well stated Phil.

Also, I suppose this guest didn't know that the NAZIs were actually socialists.

September 24, 2014 @ 1:30 PM

Ben Vidal

Calm down Philly_Bob. Your reaction is slightly over dramatic. Especially in a posting that involves OJ and Bin Laden.

September 24, 2014 @ 1:31 PM

Lynne

@Mike - There seems to be a lot of crazification going on here. Your interesting post exploded into a ridiculous brawl beyond belief. My sympathies... Or did you intend this to happen?

@this guest - I am awestruck (in a good way), and have been for some time now.

September 24, 2014 @ 1:35 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Ben - I'm not even going to bother arguing it with you. If you can't see how comparing the Fords to Nazi's is despicable, nothing I can say is going to change your mind....

September 24, 2014 @ 1:43 PM

Philly-Bob

Talk to me when OJ or Bin Laden are responsible for the torture and death of millions.....

September 24, 2014 @ 1:43 PM

Ben Vidal

Rightly or wrongly compare him to Genghis khan or Mao or Stalin. Argie sits there and says Nazi's were socialists and he associates all left wingers as socialists. So I can draw the same parallel and be disgusted with Argie.

It's not going to counter what this guest says.

September 24, 2014 @ 2:03 PM

this guest

the fords are oafs who manipulate the lumpenproletariat
like any good demagogue

nationalist socialist is not left wing socialist

September 24, 2014 @ 2:08 PM

this guest

I said a soldier in the film wearing a helmet
did I say
the high command
did I say
Leni Reifenstahl

What visual analogy might I be making?
What sort of 'look' might I be referring to?
What sort of 'impression' does that look imply?

September 24, 2014 @ 2:15 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Ben - and you are quite vocal about your disgust with Argie on virtually a daily basis. I expressed my disgust with this guests comments and you were quick to jump on it. I don't exist in a Left vs. Right world like you do (Argie too, but at least he admits it). I live in a right vs. wrong world. And in my world, comparing the anyone who hasn't butchered Millions to the Nazi's, is Wrong, period.

I detest the Fords, I think they're idiots and proof that we don't all evolve at the same pace, but they are NOT war criminals.

September 24, 2014 @ 2:21 PM

Irv

@Speyside

Now, you saw I predicated with a "doozy" and you know very well what my point was. Your response was because I painted you in a corner you couldn't get out. We were talking about whether Ford is a criminal. It's a boolean value d00d. True or False. We were not discussing the depths of the crime. Rob Ford is an admitted criminal and a liar.

You also skirted my point on Dalton McSquinty. I see the Liberals referred to as "Fiberals or Lieberals" all the time. A logical person would assume those labels were created because....they lie LOL. So how is Rob Ford lying any less nefarious than Dalton McSquinty. It's kind of like the guy in traffic. He thinks people driving faster than him are reckless assholes. He thinks people driving slower than him are in his way.

Ezra Levant

- works for Sun Media
- Sun Media is owned by Quebecor (Quebec in the name hmmm)
- Key players at Quebecor are Quebec nationalists and one of them is *gasp* in the PQ (or was).
- Certain players wanted taxpayer money to build a hockey rink.

Isn't Ezra against all of that?

September 24, 2014 @ 2:21 PM

@Ben
That's quite a stretch, son. I mentioned "socialists" because I was referring to this guest's line at the end of his post (where he writes "death to socialism").

That's called pointing out irony. Try to keep up, will ya?

September 24, 2014 @ 2:22 PM

@ Lynne, grazie!

@ Philly-Bob

would you prefer a biker gang analogy to
brutish, oafish thuggery
oh why stop there when
crass, sausage-stuffed, stupefied conformity is so readily available
in cinematic archives

September 24, 2014 @ 2:22 PM

Justin

Watching last night's debate it was clear the only choice for mayor of this city is Doug Ford. Olivia Chow would turn Toronto into a socialist utopia while John Tory Liberal will talk out of both sides of his mouth to please everyone. Doug Ford may not be as good-hearted as Olivia or as nice as John, but he's the steady hand this city needs to save money, build subways, and push through a Conservative agenda.

There's still a month to go. A major gaffe from the fast talker can swing this thing. We've seen that with this guy before. Ford More Years!

September 24, 2014 @ 2:23 PM

this guest

clearly the fords tempted the first humans
in the garden of paradise
forcing their hands into betraying their
covenant with our creator

yes they are
SATAN

September 24, 2014 @ 2:26 PM

Ben Vidal

Ah yes as far left as fox new is right wing. I remember Philly-Bob. I think it's time you had that nightly smoke you speak so highly of in order to calm your nerves.

Just because I'm pro choice, an atheist, don't think the general populace should have a gun, don't like the fords and see a need for social programs and don't group all people in unions together as lazy like yourself doesn't mean i'm left wing. It means I live in a world of right vs. wrong.

Go get your head checked or double up on the spliff tonight.

Go get your head checked.

September 24, 2014 @ 2:29 PM

this guest

Sandro Lisi with a flaming sword
at the gates of paradise

wait, slide sideways, now we are in Gates of Eden
Bob Dylan
territory

September 24, 2014 @ 2:30 PM

Anybody here into dylan?
this is so very strange. he has redone Gates of Eden
(Bringing It All Back Home, 1965)
in a voice used for the folk & sea ballads on
Another Self Portrait (1969-1971): The Bootleg Series, Volume 10
and no wonder
he rerecorded it in 1970.
It is so hard keeping up with Dylan.

September 24, 2014 @ 2:41 PM

@this guest
Dylan's a great songwriter but his singing is just too much. Similar to the Boss (who just turned 65 yesterday).

September 24, 2014 @ 2:47 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Ben - Nope Man, hate to be the one to break it to you, but your a lefty....

You should try tokeing once and awhile, might calm you down a bit, you very clearly need it.

September 24, 2014 @ 2:50 PM

Ben Vidal

Philly-bob have you thought that perhaps it's your addiction to tokeing that has you all jittery by the time you get home to the point where you have to light up?

Think what you want. When I go home and don't have to toke to get through the day, I also won't shed any tears when someone as high strung as you calls me a lefty.

September 24, 2014 @ 2:56 PM

Speysidephil

@this guest

Yup, Dylan's the man!
Great writing, songs, etc.
Sad eyed Lady of the Lowlands is a classic.

September 24, 2014 @ 3:00 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Ben - I'm not jittery nor high strung. And I certainly won't shed any tears when a piece of trash calls me such...I just consider the source, and the ludicrous things that typically come from said source.....

(if I'm being to subtle, I'm talking about you)

September 24, 2014 @ 3:05 PM

Irv

To Philly Bob & Ben Vidal.

To calm you both down, I cordially invite you to come visit the left coast and relax a bit. Take the Trans Canada West and I'll meet you in Horseshoe Bay. We'll take the ferry over to Snug Cove on Bowen Island and hit the Bowen Island Pub. The food & Howe Sound beer is on me. And Philly I'll ensure a supply of BC bud. There is wifi so bring your laptop and you can post on TM while singing to this song.

September 24, 2014 @ 3:24 PM

Ben Vidal

Yes I'm the only one that has ever called you high strong or over reactionary. Off the top of my head I can name several people from this blog. Remember despite him being a pain, Dave Williams was able to get you so angry you were smashing your keyboard and going off the deep end every time he directed a comment at you through this blog.

I can only imagine how reactionary you are in real life. Argie has had to tell you to calm down several times on here when you have flown off the handle. Or you told Bob-Philly to post his real name on this blog so that he/she wouldn't be a coward?

Thank you for pointing out your attempt at being subtle.

While the rest of the grown up world gets on with their evening and can go outside and enjoy this weather without having to light up at least once, you enjoy escaping from an inability to handle the stresses of the day.

Enjoy your purple haze tonight dearest Philly-Bob.

September 24, 2014 @ 3:35 PM

this guest

Ben Vidal is as far from 'trash'
as I am from a professional lacrosse player.
What a ludicrous thing to say.

September 24, 2014 @ 3:36 PM

The Fords invented lacrosse
after conquering the Iroquois
in their Panzers

September 24, 2014 @ 3:38 PM

Ben vidal

@ Irv: I'm down in Seattle often for business with Amazon I venture into van city most times to see friends that have ventured out that way to live. Do I have to wear a leather vest and have a chin strap?

@ This Guest: thanks, but his trash comment is the least of the things that bothers me about Phil. Truth be told I think i'd enjoy sitting down for a beer with Argie, but the same can't be said about Phil.

September 24, 2014 @ 3:45 PM

Irv

@Ben. Well personally I think a leather vest is a must have in your wardrobe but it's not a requirement. The pub on Bowen Island drives you home anyway (really).

While you're here try the Grapefruit beer from Whistler Brewing. It's different and pretty good. And if you're a CFNY style music fan, try Whistler FM 101.5. It's freaking awesome and blows away Indie or Peak 102.7 re: musical diversity.

September 24, 2014 @ 3:55 PM

maybe dylan's prettiest song:

If I was a poet and could write a fine hand
I'd write my love a letter that she'd understand
and write it by the river where the waters overflow
but I dream of Pretty Saro wherever I go

September 24, 2014 @ 4:19 PM

Speysidephil

@this guest
Great song and video.
In so many ways such a simpler better time.

September 24, 2014 @ 4:30 PM

@ speysidephil
Yes, nice images in that video.
Beauty of a song isn't it.
I think adapted from a very
old English folk song.

September 24, 2014 @ 4:33 PM

Anonymous

"I grew up working in my dad's factory," Doug says on "silver spoon" accusation of John Tory. "I worked day in day out 18 hrs a day"
Actually, that's pretty impressive. Doug only had 6 hours a day left to sleep, eat and oversee his hash operations.

September 24, 2014 @ 5:45 PM

dale

Silver spoons - LOL all you Ford chilren inheriting so much $ when DADDY passed away owning Deco Labels & Tags.

You Ford brothers (including Randy) are running Deco into the ground especially with all the shenanigans with Apollo Beauty Products as customer. My company will not deal with you anymore as a supplier. I have control of suppliers & you aren't even on my contact list any more.

All the Ford Children(still children)were spoiled brats in their childhood & continue now with bullying tactics.

Honestly, Rob get well soon & hopefully you can beat the Big C - I did - so far.

BTW - the debate was at York Memorial Collegiate as I graduated there in 1975 - Long live YMCI

September 24, 2014 @ 7:27 PM

Argie

You can tell people are scared of DF - the pitchforks are out in full force.

FORD MORE YEARS!!!

September 24, 2014 @ 8:46 PM

a (suggested) zen koan:

if you come to a fork in the road
when it is pitch black
where is the light shining

September 24, 2014 @ 10:08 PM

Mike Rophone

Argies crew:
And then there was, towards the end of the night, the coup de grace, a man named Earl Cowan yelling at Ms. Chow, “Go home Olivia! Back to China!”, and when some in the crowd murmured reproachfully, added, as if by way of explanation, “She’s Chinese! She’s not Canadian!”

He’s a distinguished looking fella, as Mr. Ford would say, all white hair and glasses and nice jacket. I figured perhaps he’d just inexplicably lost his cool — it happens — and approached him after to inquire. Someone beat me to the punch, and sarcastically thanked him for the racist remark.

“Yeah,” said Mr. Cowan with a smile, “racism!” He was entirely unembarrassed and unrepentant. I introduced myself and gave it another whirl, but Mr. Cowan stood his disgraceful ground in the boneheaded, self-delighted, other-worldly way of Ford Nationals.

September 25, 2014 @ 12:22 AM

@Rophone
So there are racists among Ford Nation. Who knew?

September 25, 2014 @ 8:39 AM

Anonymous

I still say put Ezra Levant in the ring with Justin Trudeau. And don't stop it.

September 25, 2014 @ 10:36 AM

Anonymous

I still say put Ezra Levant in the ring with Justin Trudeau. And don't stop it.

September 25, 2014 @ 10:37 AM

Tiny Montgomery

Unfortunately Justin Trudeau wouldn't participate in anything like that. It would be amusing though to see that little worm squirm. Much better though to have a general sense of revulsion at the comments registering an economic effect on Sun TV.

September 25, 2014 @ 10:43 AM

Argie

"Unfortunately Justin Trudeau wouldn't participate in anything like that"
Um, you don't remember his tussle with Patrick Brazeau a few years ago? JT would do anything for publicity.

September 25, 2014 @ 11:27 AM

Tiny Montgomery

Yes. Brazeau has a black belt in martial arts. And was handled quite easily by Trudeau. In a boxing match to raise money for charity.

September 25, 2014 @ 11:38 AM

And in this corner
wearing white Depends
hailing from Pathetic Bay, Alberta
Mr. Ayn Rand himself
THE BOOKWORM

September 25, 2014 @ 11:49 AM

Jacob

The crazies have always been there.

The Ford Machine just empowered them.

September 25, 2014 @ 11:58 AM

Argie

How about all of the crazy Chow supporters? You know, the one wearing a Rob Ford mask outside his hospital while he's being treated for cancer?

September 25, 2014 @ 12:02 PM

please show evidence
this solitary figure
acting inappropriately
is associated with the Chow
campaign
or in some way sanctioned
by the Chow
campaign

September 25, 2014 @ 12:14 PM

James Edgar

Getting a little hot in here eh?

So calling Ford supporters crazy may not be Exactly correct but crazy is a good stand in for irrational.

I'll go back to my earlier contribution "A proven liar ,Alcoholic and drug addicted mayor still has support from quite a number of people (27% or not I don't know). But seriously how can you not call those supporters crazy"

I cannot imagine a rational reason to support the Ford Brothers. (Politically I mean,I lost a brother to cancer I wouldn't wish it on anyone).

Therefore support for Ford looks irrational and irrational behaviour is close enough to crazy for me.

September 25, 2014 @ 3:27 PM

Speysidephil

@James

Call us crazy if you like, and you obviously do like it, but the bottom line is I am sick of Politicians who think they can go on and on and spend spend spend and tax tax tax like it was their own personal fortune. The Fords are at the other end of that philosophy.
It is a typical Liberal, NDP policy of tax and spend that us crazies simply don't buy into.
Damn it its my money, and if you don't think we are taxed enough already then there is no hope to convince you and your crew otherwise.

September 25, 2014 @ 6:32 PM

Beverly Von Huffdraught

ROYALTY IN ETOBICOKE UPDATE: 'OUR KENNEDYS' -

The Sun reports that Domise knocked on the door; Rob Ford's wife opened it, then slammed it shut. http://www.torontosun.com/2014/09/25/rob-fords-wife-slam-door-on-rival-with-get-well-card

Ward 2 candidate Andray Domise issued a news release to announce he was bringing flowers and a card to the house of opponent Rob Ford. (1/2)

September 25, 2014 @ 9:02 PM

Anonymous

No taxes no road repair. No taxes no fire department. The list goes on and on.

September 25, 2014 @ 11:58 PM

Social contract:
You smoke and my taxes pay for your lung surgery.
I need a fixed sewage pipe and your taxes pay for this.
That lady over there needs a nurse to visit her at home.
That immigrant needs English classes.
That guy's kid needs daycare.

September 26, 2014 @ 8:46 AM

Shite D. Sturbur

As someone who doesn't live in Toronto, if somehow I had the opportunity to vote for its mayor I would definitely vote for Doug Ford.

Yes, I really hate Toronto and would would be endlessly entertained for another 4 years watching the city become the laughing stock of the world.

No I am not Jimmy Kimmel's agent.

September 26, 2014 @ 12:50 PM

Anonymous

"Only elitists would choose to pick on @DougFord2014's typo subway map. It's not like he's in the business of making signs & labels!"

September 26, 2014 @ 10:29 PM