Not Cynical, Just a Realist Trying to Paint that Shit Gold

Not Cynical, Just a Realist Trying to Paint That Shit GoldI love sports, particularly rooting for the home team. I have a good friend who grew up near me in the Junction, and he's a die hard Bruins fan. I never understood that. I was born and raised in Toronto, so naturally I'm a die hard Leafs fan.

I don't think the Leafs are a very good team. I don't even think they'll make the playoffs next season, but I'll be tuned in hoping for the best. Many positive thinkers would find this attitude cynical, but I consider myself a realist.

In my life, where I have a great deal more control, I always look at the worst case scenario and do what I can to prevent that. I've been this way all of my adult life, and it can seem cynical and pessimistic, but I don't see it that way. I'm just not wired to be all pie-in-the-sky. Hope, in my opinion, only works when you have no influence.

I know a few happy-go-lucky people who always think positive and plow through life with rose-coloured glasses and a stern belief everything is for the best. I think that's bullshit. When you have no control, you do the best with the cards you're dealt. You grab a paint brush and paint that shit gold. When you have some control, you do what you need to do. Hope has nothing to do with it.

Worst case scenario is you're bored senseless by this Saturday morning introspective post. I can handle that.

elvis

This post makes me terribly sad.

September 13, 2014 @ 11:35 AM

@elvis

Why?

To clarify, when I have no control, I hope for the best. But I stay grounded in reality.

When I have control, I don't hope for the best, I take action. I do what I need to do to get the outcome I desire.

September 13, 2014 @ 11:37 AM

Douglas

Cynical, Mike? No, just realistic. A great summary of what "Leaf 'Nation'" is all about, too.

I was not born in Toronto, but have lived here, twice, with the second round accounting for most of my life. I was excited to go see my very first NHL game, the Maple Leafs at historic Maple Leaf Gardens. The Leafs were, well...shit against the not-very-good back then Pittsburgh Penguins. After growing up with Bobby Hull, Anders Hedberg and Ulf Nilsson, regularly seeing them and many other (so what if it was the WHA) championship-winning Winnipeg Jets around the city, the Toronto Maple Leafs played like a bunch of losers.

The Leafs have never earned one bit of loyalty from me. I can pretty much guarantee that there will be a "celebration" in 2017 of 50 years of losing. Truly pathetic. Cynical? No. Realistic. Even with gold paint on it, I can still smell the shit that is sold and blindly followed by hundreds of thousands of people throwing away their millions upon millions of dollars as professional hockey in Toronto.

September 13, 2014 @ 11:46 AM

Rick2

I agree... I have been a leaf fan since I was a kid. Toronto is a hockey town. This is why I would welcome a 2nd team to the gta. There are enough fans to support it, and every game would be a sell out. I would even go. I also think it would push the leafs to ice a team that would eventually compete far into the playoffs. I can't stop being a leafs fan, and I do love hockey. I would have no problem watching another local team .. and maybe even cheer them on in the post season, should our leafs continue as they have been... Sometimes it sucks to be a leafs fan.

September 13, 2014 @ 1:56 PM

CQ

Was someone here disappointed by the Leafs' fanfest?

September 13, 2014 @ 2:26 PM

headsup

@T.O. Mike:
Your approach to life is one rooted in realism. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

As for your views on the Leafs, you and I share similar realistic views on their unlikelihood of them making the playoffs.
My first two seasons of watching the Leafs were 1992-93 and 1993-94 - I began to pay close attention to them at age seven. For ten years we were mostly competitive with playoff trips and semifinal heartbreak.
Call me weak-minded or a heretic, but I just don't care about the blue and white anymore. This team doesn't seem to give a damn whether they win, so I don't think I should either.
Anyone want a couple of Leafs' jerseys? I have no use for the two I have anymore.

September 13, 2014 @ 3:15 PM

Douglas

@Rick2 I have to disagree, on more like a technicality basis. Toronto is a "Leafs" town. Full stop. After that, whatever sports team had better play at "We will win the championship" level, or much better than that if you're the Argonauts. Of course, the Argonauts were Grey Cup champions a few years ago. I believe that the vast majority of people who go to Argos games - and actually support and cheer for the Argos - aren't really "Torontonians".

September 13, 2014 @ 5:06 PM

Speysidephil

@CQ
Totally disappointed. My daughter bought the tickets for my B'day and we were all very let down.

@headsup
I would gladly take your jerseys, thanks.

@Douglas

The Argos won the cup just two years ago.

September 13, 2014 @ 7:03 PM

Cheryl

I am a Habs fan and I'm proud of it. I'm not a Leaf fan. I've been a Habs fan for a long time. In boarding school most people either liked the Leafs or the Flyers. I decided not to like either one of those teams and go for the Habs. There was also one boy who was the same, had his own favourite team, but it wasn't the Habs, it was the Sabres. That poor guy got teased so much, especially when his Sabres lost. I used to buy bubble gum cards and make pictures by stapling them onto cardboard and I made lots of Habs pictures and stuck them on the walls in my boarding school bedroom. I made a picture of the Sabres for that guy who liked them, but he didn't want it, he thought it was silly and threw it at me. \anyway, Habs and Coyotes to the STanly Cup final.

September 13, 2014 @ 7:24 PM

Liz

Introspection is always a good thing. Too few venture there.

I found this post fitting. And, positive. Possibly because I am a hard core realist.

September 13, 2014 @ 9:02 PM

Douglas

@Speysidephil Yes, it was 2012 that the Argos won the Grey Cup. It seems like so long ago...

I'm off to still-not-finished, but 18,500 seats are available, Tim Hortons Field to watch what will probably be a rough ride for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats hosting Saskatchewan. I'll be happy however the game turns out, as long as it is a good game. Tim Hortons Field sightlines are excellent, and even when all of the seats are available, there won't be a bad one in the place. For those who were ever at Ivor Wynne Stadium, it is an understatement to say that the seats at Tim Hortons Field are comfortable.

September 14, 2014 @ 9:47 AM

Blind Dave

@Liz

I'll echo those words. I am a hard core realist too. But I also try to stay positive overall. Having dealt with very serious depression issues, my medication keeps me on an even keel for the most part. I have to be careful about what I think and feel, but I have to be even more careful about not having any blinders on (yes, a pun). I try very hard to stay honest with myself, yet positive at the same time. One fortunate thing in my favour is that I am willing to face problems and deal with them accordingly. I generally don't panic.

Another aspect of this is that I have learned what to take seriously (family, love) and what not to take seriously (sports, entertainment, other peoples' opinions). I guess what it comes down to is that I take my life and my happiness seriously, but I don't take ME seriously.

And the Leafs will not make the playoffs this year either.

September 14, 2014 @ 2:02 PM

Douglas

I was dead wrong about the Roughriders vs. Tiger-Cats game. It was a pretty good game overall. Even with Saskatchewan coming in with the second string quarterback, I expected a much, much stronger performance from their offence, along with the usual strong defence. Hamilton took it to their guests.

Blind Dave, I respect and commend you on your openness about dealing with depression. Your second paragraph says that your life priorities are just fine. Your last paragraph is fine, too!

September 14, 2014 @ 8:43 PM

Anonymous

no you're wrong. leafz will win the cup

September 18, 2014 @ 7:15 PM