This Jays-Jeter Love-in is Bollocks

This Jays Jeter Love-in is BollocksI'll preface this entry by stating the obvious. Derek Jeter has had a fantastic career, and deserves to be voted into the Hall of Fame. He's never been linked to performance enhancing drugs, he's always been classy and he's won.

Derek Jeter is also a career Yankee. I don't understand the Derek Jeter love-in currently in full swing at the dome. On Sunday, prior to the game against the Yankees, Jeter will be honoured with a gift from the Blue Jays organization. That's unnecessary and inappropriate.

The Jays shouldn't be giving gifts to opposing players, especially New York Yankees who never suited up for the Blue Jays. And I understand, after receiving his gift from the Jays, Jeter will give a speech and acknowledge us poor Jays fans. I don't need that, do you?

Jeter was a classy player with a great career, but he's also a New York Yankee, and this weekend's Toronto-Jeter lovefest is bollocks.

dale

Totally disagree Mike. Same thing happened last year when Mariano Rivera from the Yankees retired.

It's the other teams in Major League Baseball want to thank him for the contributions has made to this game & it maybe a "love fest" for other teams but he deserves it & wasn't asking for it.

Classy & a true sportsman. Did you know his middles name is "Sanderson" as his parents named him after Derek Sanderson an old time NHL player & they loved hockey.

August 30, 2014 @ 2:28 PM

elvis

Did you know this is Toronto and we don't give a fuck about the Yankees?

August 30, 2014 @ 3:32 PM

Matt

I'm with Dale. Players like Jeter and Rivera are refreshing in this day and age. I'm with Dale. I have no problem with this whatsoever.

My only issue is that I won't be there because of work.

August 30, 2014 @ 4:52 PM

Al Reda

I 100% agree.

August 30, 2014 @ 6:11 PM

steve b

thank you, thank you, thank you!

August 30, 2014 @ 6:12 PM

Speysidephil

@mike

So you wouldn't have honoured Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris,
I could go on but you are so wrong on this.

August 30, 2014 @ 6:21 PM

Glen

There's a reason why players announce their retirement at the START of their final season.

They can soak up the adulation for 7 straight months advertising themselves for post baseball careers and whatever else they endorse (running shoes, energy drinks, cars, etc)

It's a perfect marketing opportunity.

Yes, the Jeter stuff is nauseating.

August 30, 2014 @ 6:25 PM

dale

@Glen

These players have never ever tried to "soak up adulation" including Roy Holladay last year with their stating retirement at start of the season. Jeter, Riveria & Holladay deserve everything with their play on the Baseball field.

There is NO REASON only their love of the game.

P.S. I have tiks for the game tomorrow & will be applauding Jeter
big time.

August 30, 2014 @ 9:03 PM

Teena in Toronto

I agree. I wasn't crazy about the standing ovation they gave him last night :(

August 30, 2014 @ 9:49 PM

Cheryl

Well, nothing wrong with giving a gift to a retiring player. that's what I say. go ahead and do it. A retiring player deserves a gift no matter who they are or anything like that.

August 31, 2014 @ 6:07 AM

Corey

This isn't about Jays vs. Yankees. It's about the game of baseball, and it's a long standing tradition. I think it's even more appropriate these days.

August 31, 2014 @ 8:38 AM

Liz

@Elvis

Hahahahaha!

Well said. Love the brevity.

August 31, 2014 @ 10:36 AM

Keith

Like Rivera last year, every team gave him a parting gift. I agree it's dumb. and this didn't even happen to Gretzky when he retired and he was arguably a bigger representative to hockey than Jeter is to baseball. But how would the Jays have looked had they not followed suit?

September 3, 2014 @ 3:59 PM

Someone else agrees with me:

September 24, 2014 @ 8:30 AM

S.A.L.

It appears that you are not a true fan of the grand old game of baseball & just a fanboy of the local corporate logo business/team.

Which is fine.. they need those type of fans to keep the lights on while not fielding winning teams.. same as the Laffs & Raptors.

Jeter deserved it & I wish I had been able to attend. I was in attendance of Cal Ripken's final game at the dome where they had a similar ceremony a few years back & it was nice to be a part of history.

It was a very emotional moment & great to show these great players that Toronto fans have some class & share their love for the game.

October 11, 2014 @ 7:25 PM

@S.A.L.

How would grand old Ty Cobb feel about honouring a New York Yankee before a game?

October 11, 2014 @ 7:33 PM

S.A.L.

I imagine he would have hated it & probably tried to spike or take the player in question out somehow, someway during said game.. as his rep was a that of a overtly fierce competitor.

And that is fine.. the world needs all kinds to make it interesting. My modest recollection of his legacy was that he was one of the greatest players but also a big dickhead.

I checked out his wiki page to have a gander & thought this entry was interesting.

In his last days, Cobb spent some time with the old movie comedian Joe E. Brown, talking about the choices he had made in his life. He told Brown that he felt that he had made mistakes, and that he would do things differently if he could.

He had played hard and lived hard all his life, had no friends to show for it at the end, and regretted it. Publicly, however, he claimed to have no regrets: "I've been lucky. I have no right to be regretful of what I did."

To be the best or win at all costs is one way to approach it (same as life) & another way is to enjoy the game/ride & realize that it is just a game & we are all on the same ride together.

I still tip my hat to Cobb as I do other infamous dickheads of baseball.. Clemons, Bonds etc, for respect of their abilities to be masters in the game, but I reserve my admiration for players with great ability & class which reach beyond the game for they are masters of this thing called "being a human" which is the hardest game to play of all. (at least for me it is) ;-)

If these farewell tour love fest's begin to be common place then I would agree with you on that it is bogus for sure, but if it is reserved for a few of the truly elite.. there is nothing wrong with officially saying farewell & thanks for being a worthy competitor. (IMO)

October 13, 2014 @ 1:29 PM