Robin Williams, Dead at 63

Robin WilliamsRobin Williams was 63. He was the Oscar-winning actor and comedian who starred in the TV show "Mork and Mindy" before starring in such interesting films as "Good Morning, Vietnam", "Dead Poets Society", "The Fisher King" and "Good Will Hunting".

On a personal note, his "Popeye" is the very first movie I ever saw in theatres and his "Mrs. Doubtfire" is the only movie I ever saw with my grandmother. We both laughed out loud several times.

Rick C in Oakville

Just heard this on CNN. Apparently took his own life after battling depression.
In total shock, loved his schizoddy type of humour right from the time I watched him on Mork and Mindy to Good Morning Vietnam.
Very sad.

August 11, 2014 @ 8:04 PM

twins from bolton

Loved him as as a comedian & also an actor. Emmy & Oscar awards.

He was an original combining both his movies & his comedy. Serious & not & was able to do both act in both situations.

1 of my faves - too bad the demon (depression) may have took the course overall.

So Sad Too Soon

August 11, 2014 @ 8:18 PM

Al The Royal Pain

I'm shocked! Such a comedic genius and good actor too. Not to sound like a broken record, but depression really sucks.

I guess we should be happy he survived the coke-addled 80s and gave us 30 more years of himself...even if it was diminishing returns.

RIP Mork, oh captain my captain.

August 11, 2014 @ 8:50 PM

Back in 2006, I listed my top 5 Robin Williams movies. Here they are:

1. Dead Poets Society
2. Good Will Hunting
3. The Fisher King
4. Good Morning, Vietnam
5. Deconstructing Harry

August 11, 2014 @ 10:25 PM

Blind Dave

This is so sad. I read (so take it with a grain of salt) that he had started drinking again after 20 years of sobriety and went back to rehab last month.

I am not bipolar nor manic as Robin was, but I have suffered from mind-numbing, debilitating depression. It is under control with medication and I have not touched a drop of booze in almost 20 years. Going back to the bottle now, and yes all it would take would be one drop, I'd hate myself beyond belief.

This is about Robin, not me, but in some small way I understand.

RIP Robin.

August 11, 2014 @ 10:51 PM

Icarus

@Blind Dave: that's a nice sentiment.

It somehow doesn't seem real. I wish someone could have made him feel the self worth that everyone recognised in him.

August 11, 2014 @ 11:04 PM

this guest

I don't understand depression but thank you Blind Dave for making that link between depression and booze.

Fuck it all, somebody who matters to me more than my own life drinks to 'relax' and deals with depression. Now I am scared.

Sorry to hear this about Robin Williams. Glad to see Mike put The Fisher King on that list. One of my favourite movies ever. So much pain though in retrospect.

August 11, 2014 @ 11:42 PM

Teena in Toronto

So sad that he chose this way to go :(

August 12, 2014 @ 8:09 AM

Argie

Fisher King was a terrific, under-rated film. Williams and Bridges were great in it.

August 12, 2014 @ 8:34 AM

4x4 Time

I saw him do a stand up show in Vegas years ago. I remember laughing so hard my stomach ached the next day.

August 12, 2014 @ 8:46 AM

By all accounts, Robin Williams was a sweet and generous man.

I also learned last night that he was an avid cyclist.

August 12, 2014 @ 8:53 AM

Al The Royal Pain

@Blind Dave

Robin Williams' pain is gone. This is now about his legacy and about raising awareness about depression. Thank you for sharing your story. Hopefully more stories can be shared and we can stop treating depression like something that can just be shaken off and not dealt with head-on.

I've been dealing with a father with bi-polar disorder. His sister committed suicide years back...so yes, depression runs in the family. It's one of the worst illnesses to deal with, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

August 12, 2014 @ 9:00 AM

Douglas

One never knows the turmoil inside those who dedicate their lives to making the rest of us laugh.

This bit from "Patch Adams" seems poignant:

Patch Adams: [standing on the edge of a cliff contemplating suicide. He talks to God... ] So what now, huh? What do you want from me?

Patch Adams: [looks down over cliff, a rock tumbles off] Yeah, I could do it. We both know you wouldn't stop me. So answer me please. Tell me what you're doing. Okay, let's look at the logic. You create man. Man suffers enormous amounts of pain. Man dies. Maybe you should have had just a few more brainstorming sessions prior to creation. You rested on the seventh day. Maybe you should've spent that day on compassion.

Patch Adams: [looks down over the cliff again] You know what? You're not worth it.

[walks away from the cliff]

On the lighter side, how about remembering Robin Williams' musical side, which included this performance:

August 12, 2014 @ 11:28 AM

Aurora Bob

Saw him twice in concert in Toronto. First time was just after Popeye and he was still into the coke. A very high energy show with him climbing up to the balcony of the O'Keefe Centre.

Second time, same venue about 7 or 8 years ago. Different energy but he had open heart surgery within the year. The highlight for me was his talk on the invention of golf by a drunk Scotsman (is there any other kind?). Google it.

August 12, 2014 @ 12:58 PM

Alan

I have a friend who suffers from depression and anxiety. His doctor is constantly changing medications and dosages. It seems like the drugs do more harm than help. I'm not saying medication can't help, but it seems like doctors can't wait to dispense medication rather than psychologically treat what's ailing the patient.

August 12, 2014 @ 5:18 PM

Mike from Lowville

Loved the guy. Saw him one time on the street in Dundas. Best skit he did was about golf. Have my own opinion of people who take their own life. (for what ever reason) Hate to see another great comedian go.

August 12, 2014 @ 6:04 PM

this guest

robin williams always reminded me a bit of
ee cummings
underneath it all

E. E. Cummings
(1894 - 1962)

Who Knows If The Moon’s

who knows if the moon’s
a baloon,coming out of a keen city
in the sky—filled with pretty people?
(and if you and i should

get into it,if they
should take me and take you into their baloon,
why then
we’d go up higher with all the pretty people

than houses and steeples and clouds:
go sailing
away and away sailing into a keen
city which nobody’s ever visited,where

always
it’s
Spring)and everyone’s
in love and flowers pick themselves

August 13, 2014 @ 12:07 AM