Jeff Healey's Grave

Many moons ago, an old Irish relative was visiting my grandmother while I was visiting her in Gilford, Ontario. This gentlemen proceeded to tell me that jazz and blues-rock vocalist and guitarist Jeff Healey was related to us somehow. I forget the details, but Jeff Healey was supposedly my second cousin twice removed or something to that effect.

Today, while visiting Park Lawn Cemetery, I found Jeff Healey's grave site and took a couple of pictures.

20140822_125634

20140822_125644

It's worth noting that in the early stages of planning my wedding, while we were picking the music, I made an impassioned plea for Jeff Healey's Angel Eyes. It didn't make the final cut, but I still think it's a sweet ditty.

Oscar

Your grandmother lives in the village of Gilford eh? I grew up there - tiny place that very few people know of. Small World!

August 22, 2014 @ 3:20 PM

@Oscar

She actually died earlier this year, but yes.... she lived in Gilford for many, many years.

She's now buried in Bradford.

August 22, 2014 @ 3:25 PM

519 Rob

I'm a huge fan of Healey's music. Its a crime that he isn't on the Canadian Walk of Fame (don't believe me, ask Danko Jones his thoughts on the topic).
Anyway, I always found it a little amusing he had songs called See The Light and Angel Eyes.
Sophomore humour, I know...

August 22, 2014 @ 3:31 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Jeff Healey isn't on the Walk of Fame? That's an atrocity that needs to be rectified! Mike, since he's related to you, I expect you to head up the campaign.

August 22, 2014 @ 4:12 PM

@Al The Royal Pain

I remember when I first heard Confidence Man on Q107. I went out and bought the cassette.

August 22, 2014 @ 4:15 PM

Cheryl

I don't have any of Jeff Healey's music, but I went to school with Jeff Healey. He was a few grades behind me, but we were on the bus to school together and he played his guitar and sang, but he sang country songs which was nice. Too bad he's gone now.

August 22, 2014 @ 6:13 PM

Glen

@Mike

See?

This is why Cheryl would make a great guest on your show.

August 22, 2014 @ 6:49 PM

4x4 Time

I don't know what the Walk of Fame is but if it recognizes great musicians then Jeff Healy should be on it.

August 22, 2014 @ 7:26 PM

Cheryl

Well, I don't know if I want to be on your show or not. I don't know what I have to do to be on it. I could be asked, but I could say no if it's too much. You never know. Of course if I get paid for it, I would make a better effort, but I'm not going to say yes yet. It's true, I went to school with Jeff Healey.

August 23, 2014 @ 7:53 AM

DUTCH

I met Jeff a few times in my early 20's he was a good friend of a buddy of mine. Saw him play a couple of times @ Bannisters in the Hammer. Partied with the band and played some pool with Jeff using his cane as a cue with us aiming for him. Jeff met my friend in the temagami area where he would go every year with his folks as did Jeff. Backstage @ Ontario Place was a memory not to forget! A huge talent and super person pity he is not recognized as he should be.

August 23, 2014 @ 10:34 AM

elvis

I would be happy to donate my podcast salary to Cheryl so she could appear.

August 23, 2014 @ 11:08 AM

Douglas

@Mike - Your story sounds familiar. My mother once explained how I am related to the Bachman family, that of Randy, Robbie and Tim, on the Dobrinsky (Ukrainian) side. By blood, at least, I am 100% Ukrainian. The only Ukrainian that I know, though, has to do with food. No surprise there. Never having been one to understand the fringes of genealogy, I think "removed" is the most applicable word for whatever familial link there is to the Bachman family. Coincidentally, Bachman-Turner Overdrive on the 1974 Not Fragile tour at Winnipeg Arena was my first ever concert, so I never quite felt that my parents were not "cool".

Now I'm going to go nominate Jeff Healey. Thanks for the link, Al.

August 23, 2014 @ 12:26 PM

Al The Royal Pain

@Corey

I saw that on their site and yes, I'm going to nominate him.

August 23, 2014 @ 6:46 PM

Al The Royal Pain

@Douglas

It was actually @Corey who supplied the link, but either way I like that we're starting a campaign right here on Toronto Mike! Let's get Jeff Healey the star that he deserves on Canada's Walk Of Fame!

August 23, 2014 @ 6:48 PM

this guest

Jeff Healey should have a star on Canada's Walk of Fame.
Agreed.
Something so very likeable about him.
Glad that Cheryl got to hear the young Jeff strumming away.

August 23, 2014 @ 8:49 PM

this guest

Noticed on a second look:
That wind chime is a nice touch.

August 23, 2014 @ 8:50 PM

Cheryl

Well, what do I have to do? I may need money to pay for my cab fare to get to the place you do your shows. Anyway, I didn't know Jeff that well, but he was on the bus every Sunday going to school and every Friday going home. He was still there when I left the school.

August 23, 2014 @ 9:12 PM

Douglas

Correction Notice - Yes, it was Corey who provided the link. I saw Al's name right by the link and typed away. I think this morning's coffee must have been defective. Thanks for the link, Corey. Jeff Healey definitely belongs on Canada's Walk of Fame. He qualified under several of their criteria.

August 23, 2014 @ 11:07 PM

Teena in Toronto

I loved Jeff Healey ... he left us way too early :(

August 24, 2014 @ 2:32 AM

519 Rob

I wrote this about Jeff Healey's Canadian Walk of Fame snub in 2011.

August 25, 2014 @ 9:29 AM

Roshan

Still not over his death. Loved his music and his guitar playing was top notch.
Mike, I read that Jeff was adopted. Would your relation be to his birth parents or the Healeys? Please correct me if I am mistaken.

August 26, 2014 @ 11:58 AM

Al The Royal Pain

@519 Rob

I enjoyed reading your post and agree 100%. I have submitted my nomination, I hope anyone who stumbles on this post does the same. Here is the link again (originally posted by @Corey):

August 26, 2014 @ 12:07 PM

NW

I've done my part and nominated Jeff as well.

I can't help but think of Jeff's role in the Patrick Swayze movie "Road House". One of those movies that is so bad that it is good.

(as an added bonus for Cheryl, I believe a Bob Seger tune is on the Road House movie soundtrack)

August 26, 2014 @ 4:37 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Submitted also, his version of While my Guitar gently weeps, is equal to George Harrison's in my opinion.

August 26, 2014 @ 9:12 PM

Al The Royal Pain

@Rick C in Oakville

I don't know about equal but it is a damn good version of it and I had forgotten he did it.

August 26, 2014 @ 9:47 PM

519 Rob

@Al The Royal Pain.
Thanks!

The one problem with the Canadian Walk of Fame is that they only add one deceased member a year.
I'm sure they don't want to celebrate too many dead people, but it seems pretty short sighted to limit that to 1 person.

So the problem is, as long as someone 'more famous' than Jeff dies every year, he'll keep getting bumped.

August 27, 2014 @ 9:09 AM

Il Duce

@TorontoMike is it also true you are somehow related to Bono of U2? If so, will you form a band and launch your own singing career?

August 28, 2014 @ 12:12 PM

@Al The Royal Pain

That's awesome!

September 16, 2014 @ 4:36 PM

Al The Royal Pain

I wonder how much the commenters on this site had to do with it.

September 16, 2014 @ 6:54 PM

@Al The Royal Pain

I don't know about you, but I'm feeling like taking all the credit for this one. :)

September 17, 2014 @ 9:36 PM

alex

I let Jeff know via his managment that his music was being stole from an ugly band in argentina called LOS GUARROS, they use to label Jeff music as if they were the music and song writters.
So I send a casette from argentina to ontario.....So the stinky Guarros went out of bussiness....In return I got to know Jeff back stage in argentina while playing along with Memphis La Blusera and opening star was Paul Rodgers.......Jeff knew the story and thanked me, and went out with drummer to roxy , a place to dance and meet girls............Long gone all that.....what a story, sorry I got also all Jeff's CD authografed by him.From argentina..Way up Jeff (sorry for my wrong spelling).Alex...Hapyy new 2015 for everybody

November 20, 2014 @ 3:45 PM