Friday Open Mike

Open MikeWelcome to this week's Friday Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Derrick

RIP, SkyRider. You will be missed.

August 8, 2014 @ 9:01 AM

4x4 Time

Random thoughts heading into what looks to be a fine weather weekend -

A friend of mine gave me a jar of Himalayan non-GMO pink sea salt. She is always on some new wave hype crap. My questions are, “The Himalayas has a sea? When did this happen?”

Full disclosure – I have been a lifelong fan of Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers from day 1. The new album, Hypnotic Eye is full of very well written tunes, provides a wide range of musical influence, and recorded with no nonsense by excellent musicians. Give it a spin.

Shot 84 at Royal Woodbine this week, with a 7 on two holes. My goal is to shoot 80 this season, have had one 82.

45 Years ago today, the iconic picture of The Beatles crossing Abbey Road was taken. Time flies..

I do not know P.K. Subban, and do not like the Habs, but listening to him and his father this past week, he seems like a pretty solid kid. Good luck dude.

Do not know all the details, but on the surface, not sure how I feel about Ontario offering health care services to 100 children from Gaza. It seems to be more of a political time bomb we really do not need. I have read that Israel has never denied medical care to any Palestinian. They have excellent medical care and if this is the case, should this not suffice?

August 8, 2014 @ 9:16 AM

BJ

What will go in the SkyRider's place? Does anyone know yet?

August 8, 2014 @ 9:16 AM

sowny

@Toronto Mike

Nice job with Walker yesterday. He seems really down to earth and it was a great hour.

August 8, 2014 @ 9:19 AM

bluesnoodler

Polls show Tory up by 10 points in mayoral race.

August 8, 2014 @ 9:20 AM

this guest

Israel is really, really, really, really, really, really concerned
about the health of kids in Gaza.
What a load of propaganda b.s.

That's like saying the United States was very, very, very, very,
very, very concerned about the health of kids in Nagasaki and
Hiroshima.

August 8, 2014 @ 9:24 AM

@ 4X4 Time:

:-)
great chuckle to start the day.

--------

August 8, 2014 @ 9:28 AM

Random notes:

1. I'm going to take the SkyRider for one last ride next week.

2. I hate the Habs passionately, but can't muster up any hate for PK Subban. I can't help but like the guy.

3. I believe a large number of Torontonians are waiting to see which non-Ford candidate has the best shot of winning. If the consensus is that Tory is the one to beat, he'll win easy. If Chow is considered the one to beat, she'll win. The majority of Torontonians just want either Tory or Chow to beat Ford.

4. My oldest son and I are watching this series on Netflix called 'WW2 in colour'. He's very interested in the origins of WW2 and what happened in that war. I'm quite impressed with how much he already knows.

5. The Jays really needed that win last night. Sigh.

6. I'm loving this summer.

August 8, 2014 @ 9:45 AM

Al Reda

I'm not sure which is more worrysome:

Losing 3 in a row against Houston
Losing this series at home against Baltimore

Neither are very good signs we're going to be in the race in September.

August 8, 2014 @ 9:49 AM

Lorne

@4x4: lol on "non-GMO" salt. You certainly don't want those salt breeders fucking with the genes of your inorganic compound.

August 8, 2014 @ 9:50 AM

@This guest
Typical response from you. As long as the Palestinians are lead by an islamist terrorist organization, there will be a war.

August 8, 2014 @ 9:54 AM

Toronto election musings:

Ford is toast. Even with the 'against Ford' vote split his voter support can not and will not increase beyond where it is now.

John Tory's campaign is very perceptive in calling his transit plan 'SmartTrack' and repeating this often. It makes him seem clear, defined, and crisp. No matter what the plan is it is now associated with 'smart' and 'track.'
Olivia Chow talking about 10% more buses for mothers with strollers might be a good idea but there's nothing about it that creates an identifiable symbol.
Miller's 'broom' symbol was like Ford's 'gravy train' phrase but of course with different meanings.

Perhaps Chow and even Soknacki will be rolling out 'symbols' or 'loaded phrases' nearer the end of summer?

Question: Do all these photos of a costumed Chow dancing at Pride and Caribana showing her embrace of multiculturalism and inclusiveness enlarge her base of support?

August 8, 2014 @ 10:03 AM

this guest

Argie you have never made a statement based in empathy.
Your thoughts are all based on black and white cartoon ideas.
Sometimes the proof is in the pudding not the recipe on the box.

August 8, 2014 @ 10:05 AM

@this guest
I'm afraid you've been betrayed by your own use of nebulous metaphors. I suppose you follow the mantra of "if you can't give them facts, dazzle them with BS".

How's this for empathy? I feel terrible for those Christians (and other non-muslim citizens) who have to live in fear at the hands of murderous Islamic terrorists. Unfortunately, today its not just fear - its a reality.

This issue is not worth debating with you. You have your anti-US/Israel mind made up already.

August 8, 2014 @ 10:13 AM

Ryan G

Just when you thought inane radio was horrendous enough, there's now a station format that edits down all songs to about half their length so listeners won't "get bored".

So very sad.

August 8, 2014 @ 10:25 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

I understand Olivia is going to visit crack houses and is considering public urination in an attempt to bolster her sagging poll numbers.

August 8, 2014 @ 10:25 AM

@Nigel
At what date do you believe our friend Mike will jump off the Chow express and join Tory? I reckon early September.

August 8, 2014 @ 10:33 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

@ Argie,
I don't think that Mike will jump ship. Tory might be just as frightening for those with the strong liberal bias. And Mike, I'm not saying strong liberal bias in any negative way. I think you'll stand with Chow til the end.

August 8, 2014 @ 10:40 AM

Anonymous

“I am a fool with a heart but no brains, and you are a fool with brains but no heart; and we’re both unhappy, and we both suffer.”

Dostoyevsky, The Idiot

August 8, 2014 @ 10:44 AM

Argie

Forget Israel/Gaza, Iraq, how does Milos keep his hair from moving out of place?

August 8, 2014 @ 10:45 AM

markosaar

Instead of making a long depressing post here, I put it on my neglected blog: http://www.markosaar.net/2014/08/08/goodbye/

We had to say goodbye to our beloved cat yesterday.

August 8, 2014 @ 10:46 AM

@Argie

I'm okay with either Tory or Chow. All things being equal, I'd have Soknacki as our new mayor. Of the big three, I'd prefer Chow.

But, I'm hardly anti-Tory. In fact, I'll be very happy if he wins.

August 8, 2014 @ 10:55 AM

this guest

Argie, I share your compassion for the cornered ethnic minorities or the Christians or anybody else falling into the hands of insane zealots.

Sometimes though insane zealots are nurtured and created by those who would divide and conquer.

But even understanding this what can one do? Nothing. It's (actually) maddening. One is a spectator to horror round the clock.

The musician Ben Harper says optimism is the only cure for times like this.

August 8, 2014 @ 10:56 AM

@this guest
Optimism, prayer or I suppose utter apathy.

August 8, 2014 @ 11:03 AM

Cheryl

Yes, this summer is a better one for working out in. It's not as hot as other summers and I don't mind heat if I don't have to do too much in it though. PK Subban is a great player, but I love the Habs. It will be either Habs or Coyotes winning the cup next year. Habs are great. Leafs have no chance. The Jays lost because my Orioles are so good, that's why. Who is going to win the World series this year? It will be the Orioles in four or five games. Get used to it because that's what will happen. Maybe my Diamondbacks will win it next year. Thanks to my trainer for getting me that gift. I could have bought it myself, but I had no idea I was going to want it. Well, I'm subscribing to baseball myself next year. That pitcher who closes games for the Orioles, Zack Britton is awesome. Here are some Oriole player names. Nick Markakis, Manny Machado, Adam Jones, Delmon Young, Nelson Cruz, Caleb Joseph, Nick Hundley, Miguel Gonzalez, Chris Tillman, JJ Hardy, Jonathan Scope. Yes, Bob Seger is the king of rock and roll.

August 8, 2014 @ 11:04 AM

this guest

I guess optimism involves being pro-active and doing something useful that others might benefit from.

So Ben Harper is probably right.

August 8, 2014 @ 11:04 AM

@ Nigel Trousershrapnel
August 8, 2014 / 10:25

haha. :- ) Very good.

----------

August 8, 2014 @ 11:07 AM

Philly-Bob

@ this guest - Ben Harper also said

"My choice is what I choose to do, if it's causing no harm it should't bother you. Your choice is who you choose to be, and if you're causing no harm than you're alright with me"

I think we'd all be better off if more people adopted this attitude. Think about how many wars are caused by "don't live your life that way, live it this way"

August 8, 2014 @ 11:09 AM

519 Rob

People arguing about politics
Ford BS
Cheryl talking about the Habs and Coyotes.

Its getting to be once you've read one Open Mike, you've read 'em all.

Thank God for the 4x4 Time post, he saved the day.

August 8, 2014 @ 11:19 AM

519 Rob

So here's something.
The new Arkells album is spectacular.

If you're a vinyl fan, track it down. Especially if you can find the clear vinyl edition.

I honestly love all of the tracks, but the final song, Systematic is the best.

August 8, 2014 @ 11:22 AM

@519 Rob

Two things...

1. There's actually a lot of unique content on this page already. Skyrider! Death of a beloved cat! Ben Harper!

2. You don't actually have to read Open Mikes... It's just space for people to say pretty much whatever they want. And yes, Cheryl often says the same thing.

August 8, 2014 @ 11:22 AM

Ben Vidal

Best story of the week was the man in burger king who had to suffer through that whiny kid inline behind him, with a mother that refused to exert any discipline. He asked her to do something about her kid and she of course got hyper sensitive. Meanwhile the kid is screaming about getting an apple pie, swearing and dropping eff bombs, punching and just being a massive brat. The man then proceeded to buy all the apple pies so the kid couldn't get any.

Some people may find this offensive. I however found this utterly hilarious and altogether the best possible reaction.

I look back to the days where my parents wouldn't let me even come close to that level in public let alone in a restaurant. My brother and I could be absolute brats, but that behavior checked itself at the door of any restaurant we went to. All we needed was the cut eye from our father and we knew should we not stop what would follow.

I worked at McDonald's for years and the amount of times I saw insufferable brats come through with limp parents catering to their kids instead of showing any sign of discipline sickened me. If a customer reacted the same way when I was working I would have gladly sold him all the pies in the restaurant even the frozen ones.

August 8, 2014 @ 11:25 AM

@Phil
By far the biggest reason for war over the centuries is simply real estate. I want your land and/or you want mine.

August 8, 2014 @ 11:28 AM

@Ben
Amen!

August 8, 2014 @ 11:30 AM

@Ben Vidal

I loved this story at first as well. There's nothing worse than an insufferable brat, and I also spent time working at McD's.

But upon further reflection, I'm going to call this a dick move. Why? Because we don't know enough of this child's story. We don't know what we don't know.

What if this child is on the autistic spectrum, is overwhelmed and the mother knows he just needs an apple pie and will calm down?

All I'm saying is that everyone is dealing with something and we only see what we see.

August 8, 2014 @ 11:31 AM

I laughed at first @ Ben's story about the guy buying ALL the apple pies
then upon Mike's comment
and further reflecting

I would have liked the story better if he'd bought all the apple pies
and given them all to the kid.

August 8, 2014 @ 11:40 AM

this guest

no I guess that wouldn't have worked either
Imagine a mother, maybe an overwhelmed single mother,
with a kid who suddenly has a green garbage bag full of apple pies

mmmm sugar

August 8, 2014 @ 11:43 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

Argie,
You know that the biggest reason for wars over the century is religion, right? The real estate thing was just for laughs, right?

Two brothers fighting, the older of the two takes the younger brother's hand and slaps the younger boy's face over and over again, all the time yelling, "why are you hitting yourself, why are you hitting yourself?"

This is a simplistic analogy for what current world situation?

August 8, 2014 @ 11:49 AM

Ben Vidal

@ Mike & this guest: I took this all into consideration when reviewing the story and the outcome. I think had a child had a noticeable impediment then of course this story wouldn't be as funny. The fact that it stated the kid was screaming I wan effing pie, throwing his handheld game device every time something went wrong and punching his mother leads me to believe he had some wits and ability to articulate about him. I can tell you from my time behind the counter at the golden arches the majority of parents weren't dealing with a special needs child having a melt down in the restaurant. Overwhelmingly it was poorly behaved kids and parents who had no ability to discipline. for the most part kids that had noticeable special needs were actually the best behaved. I know this is my sample of occurrences, so I can't speak for things on the whole.

Of course people will claim what if he had ADD or ADHD or any number of things we clinically diagnose kids with when they can't sit still. Hell I couldn't sit still when I was young, didn't mean I was allowed to act this way in a restaurant. The story also indicated the mother wasn't doing anything to even attempt to calm the kid down, which also says a lot.

Either way I go into my weekend thinking this guy is the actual Burger King. Because first and foremost if your kid already knows to demand pie at Burger King you take your kid there too much already and secondly this man did what all of us would like to do at one point or another.

August 8, 2014 @ 11:56 AM

@Ben Vidal

Won't somebody please think of the children?

August 8, 2014 @ 11:59 AM

@ Ben Vidal

And so many poorly behaved, mismanaged kids grow up to be the 21 year olds staring at their phones on the subway while an 80 year old clings to a pole right in front of them or a pregnant woman or somebody on crutches.

Why should they share 'their' seat? They've been 'ripped off' enough!

August 8, 2014 @ 12:40 PM

Doug

Hey Mike, was that post by Cheryl at 11:04am really Cheryl? It was written like Cheryl but a few things seemed a bit off.

August 8, 2014 @ 12:41 PM

@Nigel
no, it is land. I want your land, your house and the contents in it. nothing to do with religion.

August 8, 2014 @ 12:41 PM

Blind Dave

Looks like a spectacular weekend shaping up on the Prairies. Great weather, I have another Friday off (every second Friday for the duration of summer), and the Riders won!

I am not too sure about the Subban deal. Long term contracts don't usually work out. Even 4-5 years can be a lifetime in pro sports. I also think the expectations will rise (which is fine) but Subban will have to be God-like and not just great. With fan reaction in places like MON or TOR, Subban could be setting himself up for a world of hurt and frustration. He's not exactly thick skinned from what I can see. Wish him well, of course.

Now here are some comments on other poster's comments.

@4X4 Time

Thanks for the head's up on Petty. Was a fan back in the day but lost touch years ago. I will give the new album a listen.

@TO Mike

My Dad was in the war (North Africa and then the jungle). Both my stepson & I are big WWII buffs. This is one area where the internet is a true blessing.

@Ryan G

Half a song?!?! "Ooooohh baby I luuuuuv....." *click*. Wait wait wait!!! Who do you love???? Damn, hate those cliffhangers! You're right, though. How pathetic.

@markosaar

Made me cry. My cats are a part of me. But you were completely selfless and did the right thing to end the suffering. I am so sorry.

@Ben Vidal

I did retail hell for four years. It's disgusting how many parents do not discipline their kids. Oh, and my two kids (one an adult the other a teen)? Both of them have misbehaved in public. Once.

August 8, 2014 @ 12:45 PM

Blind Dave

@Argie

I do agree with Argie on this one. Killing in the name of religion is just that -- killing. But land is for money, oil (LOTS of money), military strategy, or simply for outright possession.

Two entirely separate things.

August 8, 2014 @ 12:49 PM

this guest

So sorry markosaar you lost your cat.
That's a tough one.
sorry.

August 8, 2014 @ 12:51 PM

this guest

Are the religious extremists currently on the rampage in Iraq
(oddly enough *Saddam* seemed to have things under control)
doing it for religion
or
land?

August 8, 2014 @ 12:53 PM

4x4 Time

Tonight’s dinner menu..

Grilled homemade organic tofu with eggplant and okra, raw shaved Brussels sprouts in lemon juice and radicchio salad with anchovies dressed in cider vinegar.....Mmmmmmmmm.......

Nah, going to have chicken...

August 8, 2014 @ 12:58 PM

@this guest
Iraq is about both land and religion.

Unfortunately it wont stop at Iraq. It will continue throughout the M/E.

As for Saddam (BTW, why do we refer to him by his first name - a la Madonna?),he was all about land (oil) as evidence by his invasion of Kuwait. That's when his problems started.

August 8, 2014 @ 1:04 PM

Philly-Bob

@ MArk - condolences, we lost our cat about a week ago, my son was devastated.

August 8, 2014 @ 1:06 PM

@Doug

Yes, that was from The Cheryl.

August 8, 2014 @ 1:10 PM

Doug

@Mike
Thanks, I guess I have never noticed Cheryl talk about a favourite baseball team before...usually that she just hates baseball and can't wait for hockey to start.

August 8, 2014 @ 1:17 PM

@Doug

Lately she seems to have jumped on the Orioles bandwagon. I can't help but feel that's because our home team is chasing them in the division.

Cheryl: Why have you adopted the Orioles, especially considering you've mentioned you hate baseball about 10,000 times?

August 8, 2014 @ 1:18 PM

Corey

In the spirit of 519 Rob's comment:

1) who's seen Gaurdians of the Galaxy? It's supposed to be awesome.
2) Nolan's "Interstellar" looks awesome. Can't wait.
3) @markosaar - really sorry to read about your cat. As a cat owner myself, I'm dreading the day I lose mine. She's 12, so I hopefully have a few more years. That's the worst part of having a pet - they're with us so briefly.

August 8, 2014 @ 1:19 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Argie

"Just ask the natives. Just ask any of the colonies invaded by England, Spain, Portugal, etc over the years."

All 3 countries you named are Islamic...wait an minute!! No their not...they're Christian Countries...but I thought all wars were because of the Islamics??

Now I'm just confused....

August 8, 2014 @ 1:20 PM

Corey

I also need to remove "awesome" from my lexicon.

August 8, 2014 @ 1:23 PM

Lyle Lanley

War... what is it good for? Absolutely nothing....

August 8, 2014 @ 1:26 PM

519 Rob

@ Corey

Thanks for the add-on. I'll work with you...

1) Haven't seen GotG yet, but want to take my 9 year old. I'm waiting to hear a few reviews from folks with kids.
2) I'll go see anything Nolan does.
3) @Markosaar, sorry about your cat. At the risk of sounding insensitive, I am such a non-pet guy, so I am in the group of people that don't 'get it'.
But, I don't question your loss or grief.

@ Toronto Mike.

Yes...yes...
There is more than just Ford, World War and Cheryl. I can read.
I'm pointing out that most of these are pretty redundant.

And yes, I can choose not to read (kind of an argumentative statement, no??). The closer you poor folks in the 416 get to your election, the less I'll be checking in.

August 8, 2014 @ 1:36 PM

@519 Rob

"And yes, I can choose not to read (kind of an argumentative statement, no??)."

A little, because there's little as annoying as someone saying "I don't like this free content on the web and I'm going to let you know about it".

August 8, 2014 @ 1:38 PM

@Phil
I guess you missed my point - those invasions were not about religion. They was pure land grabs (new land, new goodies, etc).

August 8, 2014 @ 1:55 PM

mrmojorisinca

Had to do it :

I can change the world
With my own two hands
Make a better place
With my own two hands
Make a kinder place
Oh- with my
Oh- with my own two hands
With my own
Oh- with my own two hands
With my own
With my own two hands

I can make peace on earth
With my own two hands
And I can clean up the earth
Oh- with my own two hands
And I can reach out to you
Oh- with my own two hands

I'm gonna make it a brighter place
(with my own)
I'm gonna make it a safer place
(with my own)
I'm gonna help the human race
(with my own)
Oh- make it a brighter place
(with my own)

Use your own
Use your own
Use your own
Use your own

August 8, 2014 @ 1:57 PM

Mathman

If Ford thinks the streetcar system should be replaced by subways, let's do the math:

Subways cost ~$300,000,000 per km
Toronto has 82 km of streetcars routes

Rob Ford, the world's worst fiscal conservative, would need at least $24.6 billion.

August 8, 2014 @ 1:59 PM

this guest

Look what Bob Seger wrote and performed!
Oh no I'm wrong. Sorry.
It's Bob Lind.
:-)

August 8, 2014 @ 2:02 PM

@ Mathman,

You don't understand.
Rob Ford saved a billion already.
If he is mayor for 6 more terms he can save 24 billion.

See? the subways are already paid for!

August 8, 2014 @ 2:05 PM

this guest

if you see a problem with my subway math
you are probably racist against people
who eat little red apples as doug ford
would say

August 8, 2014 @ 2:10 PM

markosaar

@519 Rob,

I'm not a pet guy either. This cat was abandoned and dumped on us. We didn't even change her stupid name because we didn't want to get attached ... and welp.

Just affectionate, chill, tolerant, no annoying habits, little-to-no hassle. We could free-feed her and she remained petite her entire life. She had a perpetual wheeze that puzzled vets, but it didn't seem to cause her any problems, and people found it endearing.

She loved guests and guests loved her. She melted the hearts of even avowed cat-haters and made at least one cry at the news.

August 8, 2014 @ 2:10 PM

Blind Dave

@this guest

There have been many despots and dictators who have had a calming control over their country (Land!). There are people in Russia today who hate the part democracy, part communist, mafia style rule. They long for the days of quiet, controlled oppression.

@4X4 Time

"Grilled homemade organic tofu with eggplant and okra, raw shaved Brussels sprouts in lemon juice and radicchio salad with anchovies dressed in cider vinegar"

Thank God you opted for chicken. Come 'round these parts with that attitude and you'd be run out of province on the next pickup truck. Here comes one now...

@Argie

Saddam is just a first name kinda guy. Husein is the "Smith & Jones" of the middle east. Mind you, I'd rather liken him to Napoleon rather than Madonna. At least those are their real names.

I did read that Isis do want to rule the world. I'd say that has more to do with power, money, and land than it does religion. But it's all in the name of religion, of course.

@Cheryl

Just curious. You live in Toronto. Is there anything in the city (sports, events etc) that you support? I am not a fan of big cities per se, but when I lived in Toronto all those years I did support and take pride in my city & community. You have everything at your fingertips. What do you like?

August 8, 2014 @ 2:15 PM

Not Not Gargamel

Just heard H+F take it to Corey for pointing out the hypocrisy of them singing the praises of Ashley Madison every day.

Humble said something like "Ashley Madison isn't telling you to have an affair, they're just there if you've decided to have an affair because you're not happy".

Just so Humble knows, the Ashley Madison slogan is in fact "Life is short. Have an affair."

To tell the truth, I just think the sponsorship is bad for their brand. "Life is short. Have an affair." is sad and depressing.

August 8, 2014 @ 2:19 PM

@ Blind Dave

You make good points about people yearning for despots. My point also about Saddam Hussein was also that the oppression against Christians came after so called Christian countries destroyed his dictatorship.

@Argie

dennis kucinich seems to agree with you about land:

"At the very point where an aroused public becomes aghast at the slaughter of Gazans, the western world becomes inured to the violence, hypnotized by the media’s cadence of body counts. The intolerable becomes normalized, and later ignored as old news. Which would seem a perfect time to leave in place the 3km zone – for security purposes, of course – and then advance the proposal that Palestinians crammed into the remaining 56% of Gaza simply ... leave….the present attack on Gaza is not about solely about Hamas. It’s about land."

August 8, 2014 @ 2:21 PM

@this guest
Yes, I get the irony but its not just in Iraq that Christians are slaughtered - look around the M/E and north Africa.

Anyway, this topic is too heavy for some so lets take a break.

What do you plan on drinking, grilling, listening to and doing this weekend?

August 8, 2014 @ 2:33 PM

Corey

@Not Not Gargamel -

I don't feel H&F "took it to me". At least they get that I can still be a supporter and disagree with them at the same time, instead of just calling me annoying, humourless and valueless.
They didn't actually read everything I wrote and they tended to respond to issues I didn't raise, but whatever. I think it was a good discussion. To be clear, I don't object to them taking AM as a sponsor. I also don't think AM is responsible for infidelity. I really only object to the effort to make it look like it's providing a noble social service intstead of representing it for what it really is.

August 8, 2014 @ 2:37 PM

this guest

okay Argie. Drop it I shall.
Thanks for asking about the weekend.
Still working on that.
Hope you have a good one!

August 8, 2014 @ 2:39 PM

I've fallen behind in the Humble and Fred universe.

So I haven't heard what they said about Ashley Madison or what the fallout is.

I do know that when we started the daily podcast almost 3 years ago, Ashley Madison was considering sponsoring the show. The guys were excited then about the partnership. I'm pretty sure Humble and Fred will accept any legal sponsor so long as their cheque clears.

These are the same guys, after all, who ate the food brought in for the foodbank!

August 8, 2014 @ 2:43 PM

Glen

I find it curious that the the Ontario Liberal Party decided to get involved in the Israel-Hamas conflict by bringing injured children from that area to Ontario for treatment.
First of all I don't want a PROVINCIAL government anywhere near this issue. It's a Federal responsibility. Second I never did hear this issue discussed even ONCE during the last provincial election so why is the health minister weighing in on this issue now?
150,000 people have been slaughtered in the Syrian civil war in the past 3 years. Thousands of them children.
Has Kathleen Wynne thought about bringing those injured Syrian children to Ontario for treatment?
Not enough Syrians in Liberal ridings.

August 8, 2014 @ 3:23 PM

Cheryl

Oh yes, I hate rides. Closing a ride does not bother me one bit. Rides scare me. I avoid those things. I just got another letter from Rogers today. I hate Rogers. They keep wanting me to get their Internet. No thanks. Primus is the best and I will always have Primus forever and ever. Screw Rogers. Why are there two teams called Cardinals? I have no idea, but Arizona's football team is the Cardinals and St. Louis has a baseball team called the Cardinals. Well, the baseball Cardinals will lose tonight because my Orioles are going to beat them and hopefully my Diamondbacks will beat Colorado.

August 8, 2014 @ 3:28 PM

Lorne

Guardians of the Galaxy: Yes, go see it. It's a fun movie, all the characters are great, the effects are amazing. The screenwriting craft that went into it is phenomenal. Here, try these three things out when you see it:

1) Pick ANY plot point, no matter how small. Notice that it was set up early and subtly, and it paid off. And I mean anything-- any character motivation, or any throwaway line, or anything.

2) Talk to someone who isn't familiar with the comic books. That would be nearly anyone, since this is a fairly obscure title. Ask them if they still understood the plot. They will have, because everything that is presented either is explained, or has enough of a purpose in the story that it's existence can be accepted as "sure, it works". Can you accept the "Knowhere" setting without knowing anything about The Celestials? Yup.

3) Did Rocket Raccoon annoy the living shit out of you like Jar Jar did? They're both CGI animated characters who are ostensibly the comic relief. But Rocket works. Try to spot the differences between the two. (Here's something to get you started... competence).

So yeah, GoG is a phenomenal summer blockbuster movie, and perhaps the first "fun" super hero movie in a long time.

August 8, 2014 @ 3:29 PM

Lorne

Mayoral wise, I do like John Tory's idea for reusing the GO lines for additional public transportation. I'd like to hear more about it-- because I am inherently distrustful of *ANYTHING* with the word "smart" in it. It usually isn't. At all.

Re: the apple pies. I can't help but think of this Something Positive strip:
Let Them Wear Cake

August 8, 2014 @ 3:33 PM

519 Rob

From the home office in Guelph, Ontario, here are the Top 10 things more annoying than me complaining about Mike's free 'content'

10) Any photo where the subject is doing 'duck face'
9) The constant Ford crap (not the news, the CRAP)
8) Mosquitoes
7) Maroon 5 and Adam Levine
6) Coffee grounds in the bottom of your cup
5) Stepping in chewing gum
4) Long and drawn out Argie vs anyone battles
3) Mashed up celebrity nicknames (Brangelina, Kimye...)
2) Mike's constant slagging of religion (we get it, you don't believe)

And the number 1 thing more annoying than me complaining about Mike's free 'content'..

(drumroooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllll)

1) Telemarketers!

August 8, 2014 @ 3:35 PM

@519 Rob

Re: #2...

This Open Mike has had many, many comments about religion and I didn't chime in once.

August 8, 2014 @ 3:41 PM

@519 Rob
Wow, the time and effort that went into that past post of yours.

Mind you, I do agree with several of them.

August 8, 2014 @ 3:52 PM

4x4 Time

@Argie - Over the Weekend

Annual Father,Son,Grandfather straight razor shave on Saturday followed by a cigar and port

On the Grill - Stuffed Chicken Breasts, Planked Halibut

In the Glass - Cabernet and Jack Daniels

On the Platter - New albums I have yet to spin - Royal Southern Brotherhood, Dr. John, Imelda May

Have a good weekend all...

August 8, 2014 @ 4:22 PM

519 Rob

@Argie,
Hey, don't get me wrong, I like most of your posts. I respect your opinion (even if you're just trying to raise shit).
Its just that most of them go on way too long. That's not always your fault. I think some people just try to beat you into submission.

August 8, 2014 @ 4:26 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Road trip to New Brunswick tomorrow to visit family. Kinda looking forward to it.
Really wish I had taken the time to burn a few cd's though. Usually have music on my mp3 player or a USB stick but our van has no USB hookup. So looks like we're stuck listening to French stations while driving through parts of Quebec.

August 8, 2014 @ 5:00 PM

Anonymous

Who folds John Tory's hundred dollar socks?

August 8, 2014 @ 5:05 PM

Cheryl

Okay. Well, as I said in other open Mikes, my trainer gave me a gift. He was going to buy me something to give to me before he went away, but he got really busy so he bought me a subscription to audio baseball. I could have just ignored it, but I activated it and baseball is not so bad as long as there are not a lot of walks or if there aren't 20 or so fouled pitches off. Yes, I said I hated baseball, but now it's okay. I thought I said that. Well, I like teams from other places and I told you why I like the Orioles. It's good pitching, they're in first place, and the manager used to be with the Diamondbacks. I did say the Diamondbacks are my other favourite team in the National League. Okay, maybe if my trainer didn't buy me that gift, I would keep saying I hated baseball. Well, it's not so bad. Hockey is better though.

August 8, 2014 @ 5:53 PM

Anon&on

@4x4 Time
I just read that with Hypnotic Eye, Tom Petty has his first #1 album, after 35+ years.
I don't know if you listen to podcasts, but #495 of Marc Maron's WTF is with Benmont Tench. I didn't have any particular investment in that episode (not a huge Petty fan by any means) but it was a really enjoyable listen. Judging by your platter selections, you might enjoy his new album too. It has a Petty/Dylan/Springsteen feel, with a bunch of great guests from the who's who of music.

@Jason from Sudbury
That's amusing. I have to make the trek around to the North Channel somewhat regularly and without iPod prep (and a cd permanently stuck in my player) I always enjoy getting into the range of Laurentian U's CKLU 96.7. Great college radio when you're otherwise surrounded by typical wolf/bear/beaver/other critter classic rock. It's good college radio wherever and anywhere, but a sweet respite on the dial making the turn across the top of the lake.

August 8, 2014 @ 6:19 PM

Glen

Cheryl has gotten into my head.

I've been listening to Bob Segar's "Hollywood Nights" on repeat.

I'm serious.

August 8, 2014 @ 6:23 PM

markosaar

I just don't understand marketers. I worked for one for a year too and the shit she expected me to do with email marketing was RIDICULOUS.

August 8, 2014 @ 6:27 PM

markosaar

@Cheryl,

Nah, you mentioned you were suddenly enjoying baseball more, but you didn't explain why exactly. Nice to get the whole story.

@Anon&on and 4x4 Time,

I've also been a pretty big fan of Tom Petty. Mostly because my dad used to play Full Moon Fever, Into the Great Wide Open, and Wildflowers often in the car. I mostly dismissed it as 'dad rock' at the time, but I appreciated him later.

Then I discovered his back-catalogue and realised he started out as new-wave, also pretty decent stuff.

ANYWAY, the last album of his I truly enjoyed was Echo. The songs were clever, varied, told stories, made great references.

The Last DJ actually felt AWKWARD to me. Like ... he'd totally lost it. The single was pretty good, but the rest, ugh. Highway Companion was even worse. I ... didn't even notice Mojo come out.

I did listen to Hypnotic Eye. It was perfectly competent rock, but I don't see anything special in it. Kind of bland. At least it wasn't abjectly bad.

If you guys haven't stumbled across them, I highly recommend you check out The National. Different take, but I feel a similar quality to Tom Petty.

August 8, 2014 @ 6:43 PM

Anonymous

@ Anon&on 18:19

Re: Great college radio when you're otherwise surrounded by typical wolf/bear/beaver/other critter classic rock. It's good college radio wherever and anywhere, but a sweet respite on the dial making the turn across the top of the lake.

Put in the line breaks and no kidding you've got a great prose poem here.

August 8, 2014 @ 7:16 PM

this guest

that was me. sorry for no name.

August 8, 2014 @ 7:16 PM

Matt

@Mike

Any word on the edge's new mid day host?

August 8, 2014 @ 7:32 PM

Anon&on

@markosaar
Petty is not dear to me, and being unwillingly bombarder by classic rock radio on the daily, I am tired of Petty. I did just renew ownership of Damn The Torpedoes though, great album, it completes my Petty needs post Breakdown. And I did see the Hard Promises tour at MLG, the only floor seats I've ever had. Free tickets, I was more anxious to see the opening act- Split Enz.
I have half of Boxer and Alligator, I'll give them another listen, never made that connection.

Anyone using Deezer? I just signed up, it's amazing. On one hand, it's too much and I know artists are getting nothing from it and there's nothing to limit my want and nothing to make the music precious, on the other hand I can listen to almost anything in full album format at no cost.

August 8, 2014 @ 7:41 PM

@ 519 Ro
No worries, its all good. Have a great weekend!

Oh and Glen, Bob Seger does rock.

August 8, 2014 @ 7:43 PM

Jason from Sudbury

@Markosaar August 8, 2014 / 18:27:
"I bring this up now, because Princess Margaret Hospital saw fit to send me an "eblast" announcing their new CEO, solely because I contributed to Mike's campaign. Fuck off."
Yup, I got it too.

August 8, 2014 @ 9:41 PM

Jillian

Any idea where Dean Blundells new radio/tv gig is? He said on twitter the other day that he's going to be getting up early again really soon.....

I'm also a little disappointed about H and F's Ashley Madison partnership... if you're not happy in your relationship just be honest and don't sneak around on a website with other people who lie and cheat. But I can also understand that they have a business to run and sponsors pay the bills!

August 8, 2014 @ 10:47 PM

this guest

I cannot listen to radio 'personalities' as they remind me too
much of h.o.l.l.o.w.n.e.s.s. like plastic fog coating everything
but anyway that's my issue and who cares
I'm not their demographic
so I don't care if ashley madison or madison ashley
or ashley's silver underwear or madison's golden bra
sponsors their shows but don't come crying to me if you get an
STD from that hot little LIberty Village number whose
husband of two years doesn't 'communicate' enough
with her.

"We used to share everything about the home furnishings we loved
and the best dog food."

August 8, 2014 @ 11:00 PM

this guest

Gonna sleep down in the parlor and relive my dreams
I close my eyes and I wonder
If everything is as hollow as it seems
Some trains don't pull no gamblers
No midnight ramblers, like they did before
I've been to sugar town, I shook the sugar down
Now I'm tryin' to get to heaven before they close the door.

Bob Dylan
Tryin' to Get to Heaven Before They Close the Door

August 8, 2014 @ 11:07 PM

Cheryl

Yes, Bob Seger is great. He always has been. Well, it was all good last night. How about those Orioles, eh? It was a laugher 12 to 2. the only bad thing about that game was that it was too slow so I did turn it off before it ended. The score stayed the same though and my Diamondbacks finally won a game as well, but I don't know if my Diamondbacks can make the playoffs. I don't think so. It's all good though. Orioles won, diamondbacks won. I couldn't ask for anything more.

August 9, 2014 @ 6:29 AM

Rick C in Oakville

I had to drop my daughter off at Spadina and Bloor last night to stay with a friend for a couple of days around 10PM last night.
Came down Avenue Road to St. Clair to Spadina, no problems. Decided to take the Gardiner home, well Spadina is still closed for track repair, shot over to Bathurst (jammed) and went to the Lakeshore, everything was jammed. Tried to go through the CNE, all blocked off. Tried to double back and go up Strachan, jammed. Didn't get back to the burbs until 11:30PM. Hate to experience this for a 9-5 commute.
I don't take any offence to who H&F have for advertisers. Found the liberals shills the Family Coaliton's ads during the election disgusting to me. So if the cheque clears, it's open season for advertising I guess.

Safe travels Jason, have you tried the 30 bypass around Montreal? Makes the drive all the more less stress inducing.

August 9, 2014 @ 7:11 AM

Anonymous

@Anon&On and Markosarr - yes, have the Benmont Tench album You should be so Lucky, it is awesome. Mike Campbell has an old record called Day into Night which is hard to find but equally excellent.
I saw The National a couple of years ago in Nashville, they were on a bill with The Marshall Tucker Band and the Charlie Daniels Band and they were very good.Thanks for the reminder, will search a disk to add to the collection.

August 9, 2014 @ 9:50 AM

4x4 Time

Sorry above post was me...

August 9, 2014 @ 9:52 AM

4x4 Time

@519 Rob - Just listened to a couple of tracks on the new Arkell's album. Very nice sound, clean and fresh sounding. Thanks for the heads up, will look for it on my next shopping trip to Cheapies in the Hammer.

August 9, 2014 @ 10:05 AM

Anonymous

For Argie:

After Christians were forced to leave Mosul and other areas that fell under the control of the Islamic State (IS), Kurdish and Shiite dominated cities opened their doors to receive them. Religious authorities adopted stances supporting Christians, as they called on residents to host and help their brothers in the country.

The Imam Al-Khoei Foundation, one of the prominent religious institutions in Najaf, issued on July 30 a statement in support of Christians and minorities in Iraq.

Read more: http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2014/08/christians-displaced-support-by-najaf.html##ixzz39uCT2kj3

August 9, 2014 @ 10:33 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Here is some video of my band playing last Saturday night in Coboconk:

August 9, 2014 @ 1:03 PM

Cheryl

Well, so my Orioles win again. So sweet. Ubaldo Jiminez came off the disabled list. He was shaky, but he ended up winning 9 to 3. Home runs by Caleb joseph, Nelson Cruz and Delmon Young. Awesome. Orioles are the best. Diamondbacks are winning. I don't think they can make the playoffs though. Maybe next year. Orioles will win the world Series this year, but Diamondbacks maybe next year get it. Not too long now and my Arizona Cardinals will be playing football. Then Hockey starts in less than two months.

August 9, 2014 @ 9:39 PM

Lorne

Okay, so at the end of June, I was all ready to refocus my blog. I had a theme in mind, a perspective from which to write from, and a series of articles drafted. It was going to be all about my wife and I's struggle with infertility.

And then in July, after two years, she had to ruin this wonderful idea by going and getting pregnant. Thanks a lot, wife. Now what interesting life event will I blog about at http://sevenseventeen.ca , huh?

...

wait...

August 10, 2014 @ 1:11 AM

markosaar

@Lorne,

Congrats! Ecstatic to hear. Sorry about the blog carnage however.

August 10, 2014 @ 1:33 AM

Cheryl

Well, correction on that score. My Orioles won 10 to 3, not 9 to 3, but hey, a win is a win. My Diamondbacks won last night over the Rockies. Trevor Cahill pitched well for once winning 14 to 4. apparently he hasn't won in a few months. Oh well, it's to late for playoffs. Orioles will be there though, that's for sure. About liking Toronto teams, I just don't. When I was in boarding school, in hockey, everyone liked either the Leafs or Flyers. I shouldn't say everyone, but not many if any liked the Habs. I wanted to like the Habs. Guy Lafleur was my all time favourite hockey player for years and years. Well, I used to buy bubble gum cards and make posters out of them. My mom told me where their faces were and I made posters by stapling them onto cardboard. I decorated my school room with Habs pictures. People called me Froggy, but I didn't care. There was a boy who didn't like the Leafs either, but liked the Sabres so I made him a Sabres poster. I got on the bus. I felt sorry for this boy because he kept getting teased all the time about his Sabres so I made him a poster and I gave it to him, but the guy just threw it back at me and was nasty so that was the end of that.

August 10, 2014 @ 7:54 AM

markosaar

AHAHAHHAHAHAHA "Garg" are you serious?

Two random internet commenters suddenly become "the marketing industry". If the article had been about them, then maybe your point would have had some credence, but fuck... they're COMMENTS.

Here's what males aged 25-35 think of Garg: weirdo.

The initial poster's logic about Tim Horton's (agreed, terrible terrible coffee) is partially why their brand works well: they appear honest about the things they endorse.

I'm ... aggressively ambivalent about Humble & Fred, but I find it so strange people actively hate them. Guess that means they've made it.

August 10, 2014 @ 8:22 AM

Andrew

I echo Mike's sentiments Lorne.

Congrats and welcome to the wonderful, nauseating, amazing, frustrating, agonizing and incredible world of parenting.

Enjoy months 4,5 & 6... the remainder is a pain in the ass!

Cheers,
Andrew

August 10, 2014 @ 10:12 AM

Mississauga Al

@ Rick C - I feel your pain. I loathe driving into Toronto these days. Yes Mississauga's got it's share of road construction but Toronto is unreal. It's everything all at once. It's a freakn' obstacle course.

Why does road construction take so freakin' long? There should be construction crews on the Gardiner 24 -7 or at least until the end of daylight. Cripes, to shut down construction at 5 pm or thereabouts is criminal. Some friends of mine came back from Kenya recently and they told me about a massive high construction project that was completed in two months. Something that massive would have taken two decades in Toronto. This is a major artery. Our city planners are as useless as two fangs on a hooker.

August 10, 2014 @ 12:01 PM

Blind Dave

@Lorne

Congrats to both of you. Here's a blessing for a happy & healthy life! But I will put a bit of a twist on what Andrew said. As frustrating as the age 2-3 range is (tantrums and property laws), that to me is where they are the most fun. They have some independence and can communicate. My granddaughter just turned 2 and I have her every Thursday & Friday evening. She's a blast.

@Al The Royal Pain

Great sound, dude. You've got something good going there!

-----

I don't understand why H&F are so polarizing. I am not a fan of morning zoo radio so I simply choose not to listen. I have nothing against H&F or any other morning host out there. Wish them well and hope they (and their listeners) have fun.

August 10, 2014 @ 2:55 PM

dale

I'm only an occasional watcher of car racing.

What I saw today was disgusting. Tony Stewart a veteran of Nascar killed a driver who confronted Tony on the track after Stewart hit him into the wall. The driver ahead of Stewart was able to miss him & IF YOU WATCH CLOSELY you can see Stewart slide into him with the back of his car.

Disgusting. This is not the 1st instance with Stewart.

August 10, 2014 @ 3:24 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@ Dale: Terrible and unfortunate that this happened. We have seen this play out dozens of times in the past without incident, Ward just shouldn't have been on the track, emotion and his inexperience got the best of him.
Sprint cars are a handful to control at the best of times, they have locked diferentials (reason they can drift easily)and the throttle isn't like a normal race car, it isn't linear. Either your basically on full throttle or idling.

Stewart does definitely have a well deserved sh## disturber rep, and it looks like he probably tapped the gas going by Ward, maybe to brush him back, but this unfortunate scene played out. I'm not defending Tony Stewart in anyway, just can't believe he would purposely run Ward over, no matter how much of an A-Hole he can be.

Video is here, beware it could be disturbing to some.

August 10, 2014 @ 4:25 PM

dale

@ Rick C in Oakville

Thanks as I agree Tony wanted to brush him back.

August 10, 2014 @ 4:51 PM

@Jillian

I'm sorry, I don't know where Blundell is headed.

August 10, 2014 @ 5:36 PM

Lorne

Thanks for the well wishes. It took me a moment to realize @Andrew's "months 4,5,6" meant post-birth. My brain's still in counting-pregnancy-time mode. =)

August 10, 2014 @ 6:17 PM

Andrew

@ Lorne,

I did mean pregnancy time... you'll know what I mean ;)

Cheers,
Andrew

August 10, 2014 @ 6:21 PM

Cheryl

Well, talk about a bad baseball day. If I started listening to it on days like this, I would have just forgotten about the gift. My Orioles lost. That game really sucked big time. Seems like the umpire hated the Orioles today. That sucked. My Orioles got no calls and then Buck Showalter gets ejected from the game. That was no good at all. Also the Cardinals got all the calls, my Orioles didn't is like the damn umpire wanted my Orioles to lose. It's like pitchers don't know how to close out games anymore. My Diamondbacks go to extra innings and lose. The Tigers were beating the Jays at the beginning, but of course, the Jays rallied back and that game is lasting forever and ever and ever. If they win, they'll be closer to my Orioles. Well, hopefully Orioles over Yankees tomorrow.

August 10, 2014 @ 7:37 PM

Cheryl

Oh yes, congrats to Lorne although a bit late. Anyway, so the Jays won. Anyway, my Orioles are still in first place, but They're only up by five instead of six, not good.

August 10, 2014 @ 8:30 PM

Al The Royal Pain

@Lorne

Congrats man!

@Blind Dave

Glad you liked it! It was a fun night.

August 10, 2014 @ 8:52 PM

Liz

@Lorne

Happy, happy news! Congratulations. Nice to hear good news. Wishing you and Mrs. Lorne much health and happiness.

@Markosaar

"Aggressively ambivalent." Great phrase!

@Garg

You're not too bright, are you? Two random commenters don't automatically qualify as industry experts.

@Andrew

Your tweets yesterday were hilarious.

@this guest

Your shit's getting super annoying. Try using sentence structure every now and again - you know, just for shits and giggles.

Enjoy the week everyone!

August 11, 2014 @ 1:14 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Orioles will win tonight. Let's hope they beat the Yankees. That will be good if they could do that. JJ Hardy is out though. Sprained thumb. He was out yesterday. Hope he won't be out too much longer. Chris Tillman is pitching for my Orioles and he's good. I see my trainer tomorrow. I miss him. He was gone for a whole week and a half. Well, that baseball subscription turned out to be a good gift after all. I will subscribe to it again next year. The TV subscription is expensive, but the radio subscription isn't.

August 11, 2014 @ 6:22 PM

Cheryl

Well, I was really worried for a while and I still am, but my Orioles won. That's the good news. They won 11 to 3. My mistake. I jumped the gun in the rotation. Bud Norris pitched, not Chris tillman. Orioles were losing, but they win on homers by Chris Davis, Nelson Cruz and Jonathan Schoop who is pronounced Scope. Manny Machado is hurt though. They had Chris Davis playing third base instead because of Manny machado's right knee. I'm worried about Machado though. I hope he's okay. If he has to go on the DL, can they call someone up? I guess they can't trade for anyone though because trade deadline is passed, but can they call someone up or something if he has to go on the DL? Well, let's win tonight. My Diamondbacks didn't play last night.

August 12, 2014 @ 4:34 AM

@ Liz

coming from the woman who ripped viciously into Cheryl some time back
your opinion counts for nada

August 12, 2014 @ 9:29 AM

Cheryl

What was I doing. I meant to say Manny Machado got injured last night so Chris Davis played third base. Anyway, it will probably be the same way tonight. Orioles will hopefully win though.

August 12, 2014 @ 4:54 PM

Liz

@this guest

This is SO, and I repeat, SO, the wrong day to put your punctuation less bullshit into the bullshit sphere. Take a long hard suck on my dick and then go fuck yourself, you amorphous piece of shit. Erudite enough for you, cum wad? When I meet you face to face, I'm amped to straight arm you with my fist right into your gummy fucking face.

Clear enough? Seeping douche?

August 12, 2014 @ 9:55 PM

@ zil

is the screen door on the porch
hinged