Friday Open Mike

Open MikeWelcome to this week's Friday Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Ian

Hey party people, for the last 24 hours I've been working on recovering a windows system for a customer who had the CryptoWall ransom-ware virus.

This virus encrypts your files using high-grade RSA 2048 encryption and stores the private key to decrypt it on the ransom demanders' servers. You can pay $500USD for the private key to decrypt your files again. If you don't act quickly the ransom goes up to $1000USD. Despicable.

This is just a friendly reminder to back up your computers using incremental versions because if your system automatically backs up the newly encrypted version of your files your old backups are useless to you in the event of a complete catastrophe.

Think of what would happen if your computer were hit by a bus or stolen right this second. What would you lose that's irreplaceable? Pictures? Videos? Back them up right now! Who does real work on a Friday before a long weekend anyway?

Thanks for listening!

- Ian

August 1, 2014 @ 8:35 AM

Raptors Devotee

MLB and Bud Selig screw you! For punishing the biggest, most glaring omission to the Baseball Hall of Fame, in the form of Tim Raines, by limiting his enshrinement by voters to only 3 more years instead of the 8 that he was entitled to.

Those players who are past the 10 year mark are grandfathered, so get to run out the entire 15 years, but Raines, who never took PED's, but is being dragged down by those who did, gets screwed.

MLB saying it had nothing to do with the steroid implicated players being on the ballot i.e. Bonds, Clemens, McGuire is so full of crap there is no bag big enough to hold it all.

The only positive is that in 2017, Raines last year now of eligibility by the BBWAA, was the year that I projected to be his next realistic shot.

I have already tweeted to about 150 BBWAA writers I found about supporting Raines, referencing Jonah Keri's definitive Expos book, and the exact page #'s where Jonah lays out how Raines is a no-brainer HOF on many levels.

I want to go to Cooperstown to see Raines get in by the BBWAA, and not by some veterans committee after the fact, and Raines himself this week said the same, although he would be honoured regardless whenever he gets in.

Raines not in the HOF would be tough for me to take. I watched his entire Expos career before moving to Toronto, and just on the 80's alone, he has enough of a resume for the HOF.

August 1, 2014 @ 8:52 AM

Lyle Lanley

Great start to this Open Mike!

I'm going to backup my files now while being ticked off MLB is screwing over Tim Raines!

August 1, 2014 @ 9:00 AM

Argie

@Raptors Devotee
Wow, that's quite a cause you've latched on to.....

August 1, 2014 @ 9:05 AM

Actually

No cause is too small.

August 1, 2014 @ 9:10 AM

I took my daughter to see How to Train Your Dragon 2 yesterday.

We both loved it.

If you've got kids, and want to take them to a flick you'll enjoy too, I highly recommend this one.

August 1, 2014 @ 9:20 AM

Philly-Bob

I second Mike on this one. I saw it with my son's class on the last day of school....the kids and adults loved it...this is definitely one for all ages!

August 1, 2014 @ 9:35 AM

markosaar

@Ian,

I'm a huge fan of CrashPlan+ at home. Subscribed to it after doing a tonne of research on offerings. It's fairly idiot-proof, powerful and really gives me piece of mind for my photos, and even music collection. I could re-rip CDs, redownload purchases, but man it would be a huge loss of time.

It's only useful to those that have decent upload speeds and large/unlimited caps though.

August 1, 2014 @ 9:47 AM

Corey

The potential sale of the Bills to a Jon Bon Jovi-led consortium may actually be the best thing to happen to Buffalo, since it's inspired a city-wide boycott of all Bon Jovi music. I'm still not convinced the NFL is coming to Toronto, even with MLSE backing.

August 1, 2014 @ 9:48 AM

this guest

Random thoughts on a Friday morning.

1. The idea of an artist dying and their work increasing in value is an archaic idea and might have been true at one time. There are now millions of graduates of fine art schools and programs. The idea simply does not hold water for the vast majority of artists in this world.

2. Ford has to testify in the Lisi trial. He is being served with a subpoena. This is where it all begins to unravel.

3. The latest mayoralty poll is a sham poll. Silly stuff from Tory's campaign manager's colleague.

4. Many events are interrelated that people do not realize are interrelated. Both actual events in the physical world (by nefarious design) and invisible, metaphysical realities (by the designs of beauty and love).

5. It's a beautiful day today.

6. A nondescript, small woman smiled at me this morning and I felt like I had been visited by an angel of light. She had such an air of goodness about her.

August 1, 2014 @ 9:50 AM

Ryan G

It's not really worth my time, but I'm fighting 2 parking tickets I just got, so I wanted to see if anyone here had any success if you had a similar experience. It's not the money, but the principle that pisses me off.

For years and years when I've visited my parents I've parked outside the house on their quiet suburban street (which is a Court so it's got even less traffic than a regular street). The other night however I got two tickets totalling $55. Although I know that technically it doesn't matter, there are no street signs indicating you can't park longer than 3 hours. The driveway was full, and there is no public parking as it's the suburbs.

On the form you fill out, there's a little box you check off if you plan to go to trial and want to "dispute the evidence", in which case the person who ticketed me would likely need to show up. I did not check that off, so I'm hoping they take that as me sort of pleading guilty with an explanation, with the hope that they'll at least reduce the fine.

Anyone have a similar experience?

August 1, 2014 @ 9:56 AM

After you back up your data, find out the serial number on your bike and register it with the police: http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/bike/

August 1, 2014 @ 9:56 AM

@Ryan G

Always fight your parking tickets, assuming you can get the time off work to show up for your trial.

Every time I've fought a ticket it's either been reduced or dismissed completely.

I'll bet with your story, and the lack of signs, they toss it out of court.

August 1, 2014 @ 9:59 AM

Argie

I've only once disputed a parking ticket - only because it was approx $100 (parking too close to a fire hydrant).

Anyway, I dropped the ticket off at the municipal building in North York telling the clerk I was fighting it. They said, that's fine, you'll be notified as to when a trial date would be set. This was in Oct 2010 (almost 4 years ago), and no one has contacted me.

Thank God for inefficient public sector employees!

So Ryan, fight the ticket - they'll likely forget about the damn thing.

August 1, 2014 @ 10:19 AM

elvis

A guy I worked with for the past 8 months died yesterday. Fucking bullshit man. Fucking bullshit.

August 1, 2014 @ 10:30 AM

@elvis

Very sorry for your loss.

How did he die?

August 1, 2014 @ 10:34 AM

Cheryl

Nobody has talked about the Burlington Skyway yet. Apparently a drunk driver caused it to close. My trainer is on vacation now, but it will sure affect him on August 12 when he has to commute to Toronto from Hamilton to go to work. Apparently it is going to be closed for weeks. I have no idea how he will get to Toronto. I don't think there is any other way. Anyway, wish my trainer still lived in Toronto, but he doesn't.

August 1, 2014 @ 10:53 AM

Al Reda

It's scary when you think that everyone, including you, will one day die.

August 1, 2014 @ 10:53 AM

BJ

@Cheryl

I think Hamilton Mike has a post about it.

August 1, 2014 @ 11:00 AM

Not Not Not Dean

I'm not going to use my real name for this entry but I was a big Humble and Fred fan.

I enjoyed their podcasts but have grown tired of them. They're just not that funny or interesting anymore. This week there were episodes that felt like I was at the dentist. It's become painful to listen to.

The constant stream of unknown standup comics has me numb and the amount of time spent on Phil's idiosyncrasies is too much.

And the best part of the podcast was the lack of structure. They didn't break for ads or tease things for after the break or the "podcast extra". Now it's just a regular radio show.

If Humble and/or Fred are reading this: please upgrade the quality of your guests and stop treating the podcast like it's just another radio show with timed breaks and teasers and back selling and all that radio bullshit.

And stop taking calls - they're all staged or boring or disruptive or all 3.

August 1, 2014 @ 11:07 AM

Sam in Pickering

Did we ever confirm that Not Dean was Dean Blundell?

August 1, 2014 @ 11:20 AM

Sam in Pickering

And whatever happened to Not Dean?

And Dean?

August 1, 2014 @ 11:21 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Cheryl - Rest assured, there are other ways to get to Toronto, he will have to get off at Fruitland or something and go around, then get back on at Brant in Burlington (truth be told, he'll probably just drive into Burlington and hop on the QEW from there).

Regardless, the Skyway is not the only way to get from Hamilton to Toronto....you'll be fine I promise.

August 1, 2014 @ 11:25 AM

Jacob

So, Greg Beharrell, one of the Edge morning guys, is packing his bags for Vancouver.

I liked that guy. Although, we was better when he had the evening shift to himself. Those creeper phone calls.

August 1, 2014 @ 11:26 AM

mrmojorisinca

I went to the ACC to see Jack White last night..Pretty Fantastic..although not a fan of the 300 sections at the venue.

August 1, 2014 @ 11:32 AM

McNulty

Here's an idea. Pay the damn ticket.

Our courts are offed with assholes who park illegally, run red lights and commit other offenses and they plead not guilty when they know they did it. They are just pissed they got caught.

Fight it if you didn't do it. But it seems most people fight it on hopes of getting a free pass because cops are too busy policing and can't spend a day in court dealing with petty citizens who want to save money.

You bitch at Rob Ford for refusing responsibility but when it comes to your own life you act just like him albeit on a smaller scale.

August 1, 2014 @ 11:35 AM

elvis

He died for a reason that could have been avoided but it still sucks.

August 1, 2014 @ 11:38 AM

@McNulty

It's really not the same thing.

August 1, 2014 @ 11:40 AM

McNulty

And you committed those violations.

It's where it starts. It's a "fight the system" attitude that is being taught to everyone.

Did you park illegally? Yes. Pay the fine. It's how a civilized society works. I get tickets and I always pay them because I actually did it.

In Ryan's case one could argue the first ticket is understandable to fight. Maybe he didn't know. But to do it again the next night and claim ignorance? It's basically saying, "I disagree with this law and therefore it doesn't apply to me."

Rob Ford does it with city policies all the time. How is that different?

August 1, 2014 @ 11:46 AM

McNulty

One more point:

Those people that park on busy streets and block traffic and bikes and cause chaos. If the system works that the can fight the ticket and never pay a fine or gave a consequence, what will that teach them?

Would you be happy if the guy that hit a cyclist and not kill them was able fight the traffic violation in court and never suffer any consequence? Again, what use is issuing the tickets at all?

August 1, 2014 @ 11:50 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - there are no "points" for parking violations. If you ran a red, you deserve to loose the points as that is the penalty for the rule you broke. I'm with McNulty on this one. What's the difference between you wasting taxpayer dollars fighting a ticket you know you're guilty of and Rob Ford wasting tax dollars trying to hide the things he's done? Other than the amount of money being wasted, which if you extrapolate to every person who fights a charge they shouldn't, is a hell of a lot more than Ford.

This is not a defence of Ford, it's a condemnation of those who complain about other people wasting tax dollars needlessly, then turning around and doing it themselves....

August 1, 2014 @ 11:55 AM

@Philly-Bob

I don't run red lights.

If I'm caught speeding, and I can get the points reduced or eliminated by going to trial, I will always go to trial.

August 1, 2014 @ 11:56 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - "Fight every ticket, because that's the system... why pay more and lost points unnecessarily? These aren't murder or extortion charges, just traffic violations."

A homophobe might use the same logic for a hate crime "It's no big deal it was just a f@$$##t"

When you start ignoring laws that you don't think are right, where does it stop. I could find you a hundred "good ol' boys" from the south who think a lynch party is in order....other than the fact that YOU don't agree with the parking/traffic laws, what's the difference?

August 1, 2014 @ 11:57 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike (11:56)- and you are wasting taxpayer money doing it if you know you are guilty.

August 1, 2014 @ 11:58 AM

@McNulty

1. You rarely get away with paying nothing. Usually you plead to a lesser charge. I should clarify I've never bothered to fight parking tickets, only speeding tickets, etc.

2. It's a serious pain in the ass. You have to request the trial date, come to the courtroom during a weekday... most people would pay the fee to avoid this annoyance.

August 1, 2014 @ 12:00 PM

@Philly-Bob

If you say so.

I'd argue you're a fool to pay the ticket in full and accept the demerit point if you didn't have to.

August 1, 2014 @ 12:01 PM

I'm going for a bike ride. If you want to read what I wrote about always fighting your traffic tickets in court, it's all here: http://www.torontomike.com/2011/11/always_fight_your_traffic_tick.html

August 1, 2014 @ 12:02 PM

Argie

@Phil
You're kidding, right?

August 1, 2014 @ 12:06 PM

Ryan G

To clarify, I received two tickets for a single incident (I didn't "do it twice" as someone mentioned). And if you re read what I wrote, you'll note that I am not disputing the evidence.

I wouldn't fight this ticket if I decided to stop and get a coffee on Yonge street, causing chaos and disrupting traffic. Rather, my mom's street is unbelievably quiet, and cars are parked there all the time. There are never ever issues with cars parking, so I see it more of a cash grab, and largely not worth it for the City overall. See, I would suspect people are much more likely to fight these sillier types of tickets, so in the end, I'm sure it's more effective for the parking enforcement guys to stick to busier streets where real problems could arise from illegally parked cars.

August 1, 2014 @ 12:31 PM

this guest

Have you ever seen street parking in Italy?

August 1, 2014 @ 12:45 PM

519 Rob

I totally agree with Philly Bob and McNulty.

If you did the crime, pay the fine.

If, like Ryan believes, he is in the right, than by all means, fight it.

But if you're just fighting it to save money (when you are guilty) you are disrupting the system.

August 1, 2014 @ 12:54 PM

this guest

hTere are yahoos in the American south who modify automobiles to spew heavy black smoke in order to protest clean emission legislation.

It's their idea of 'civil liberties.'

Not sure why I brought it up. Just a segue.

August 1, 2014 @ 12:56 PM

Aurora Bob

I also agree.. pay the fine.

If there were no signs at the site of the "crime", the laws that are posted at the city limits are in force every where within the municipality unless posted otherwise.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. That is LAW101.

Parking tickets do not acquire demerit points. They do however prevent you from renewing your vehcile license plate if unpaid.

Consider it like a lottery - tax on the stupid.

August 1, 2014 @ 1:05 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Argie - Obviously I'm indulging in a little reductio ad absurdum. but my key point is that Mr. Boon rags on your buddy Ford all the time for wasting taxpayer dollars needlessly, and wasting the court's time and money fighting a charge you are guilty of it no different.

Mike's argument that I'd bee a fool to pay the full fine if I can avoid it, even if I'm guilty, can be extrapolated to Ford...he'd be a fool not to try and dodge the bullet for his crimes. Especially if he can come out the other side still mayor.

The system allows itself to be abused in both cases, why is it okay in one, but not the other?

August 1, 2014 @ 1:08 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Ryan - In your case, I would fight it. But others have made the blanket statement of fighting all tickets in the hopes of getting it reduced/thrown out. That is a waste of resources that could be better used elsewhere (much like when Ford hijacked a city bus)

I just want to know what the difference is?

August 1, 2014 @ 1:10 PM

Anonymous

@ Philly-Bob,

Which crimes, or alleged crimes, of Ford's should try to dodge?

August 1, 2014 @ 1:35 PM

Drinking & Driving
Possession of Narcotics
Public Intoxication
Assault
Uttering Death Threats

....I could go on...

August 1, 2014 @ 1:42 PM

Philly-Bob

And I'm not saying he SHOULD dodge them, I'm asking where we draw the line on which laws we think are fair and ones we don't.

August 1, 2014 @ 1:43 PM

Aurora Bob

Sometimes my evening drive home is very boring. To lighten things, I tune to Sirius Stars (now 109 used to be 106) and listen to The Dr Larura show. It's sort of watching a train wreck. You know you shouldn't look (or listen) but you have to.

A call yesterday was an absolute hoot. Mother calls in. She has 3 young chidren. She is separated or divorced. Father has visitation - alternate weekends I think. Last trip one of the kids - a boy - tells mom that daddy put his finger in his butt. Not a pleasant thing to be sure, however Laura's prescription was the following.

1. Call the police and file a report (already done - Police told her that a real "Shit storm" will be coming her way.

2. Move out of her house and take the kids and move in with her parents.

3. Learn to use a handgun

4. Buy a handgun

5. Defend your kids and you with the hand gun

I was kind of blown away by the stretch of putting a finger in a butt and needing deadly force to protect yourself.

I know that she is a nut, but sometimes I have to laugh at the leaps of logic.

August 1, 2014 @ 1:58 PM

Argie

@Phil
When was Ford charged with those offences?

August 1, 2014 @ 2:08 PM

Jesus Christ Argie!!!

My point is that many of the folks who slag Ford for wasting taxpayer dollars are sitting here admitting that they do the same thing.

August 1, 2014 @ 2:14 PM

Philly-Bob

And once he's done testifying at the Lisi trial...charges just may be coming. But that wasn't the point.

August 1, 2014 @ 2:15 PM

Argie

@Phil
So you don't know when he was charged? I don't either.

August 1, 2014 @ 2:23 PM

My belief is that in Canada your testimony at someone else's trial can't be used against you.... or something to that effect. I'm not a lawyer, but that's my understanding.

August 1, 2014 @ 2:42 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - You are correct. However, if Lisi is convicted, the sentence will be such that he will be inclined to perhaps loosen his lips a little on what he knows about the Ford boys in exchange for leniency.

But yes, while we don't call it the 5th amendment, Ford does of course have the right to not incriminate himself.

August 1, 2014 @ 2:46 PM

@Philly-Bob

I think that right to not incriminate yourself is only if you're the one on trial.

Since Lisi's on trial, I think he'll have to tell the truth or risk committing perjury.

Oh... and if anyone here loses their shit one day and kills someone, I hope you still hire the best lawyer you can afford instead of walking into the courtroom admitting guilt and being all accountable.

Going to trial to lessen your sentence (or fine / demerit points) does not make you unaccountable. You still admit guilt at the end of the day, you just pay less money.

August 1, 2014 @ 2:50 PM

Here's where I biked to at lunch today. A most peaceful place to chat with an old friend.

August 1, 2014 @ 2:58 PM

dale

Mike it was probably one of your best moments with Kic - teary eyed & talking to him & hopefully he cherished the same time with you today.
I do the same with both my parents at least once as year.

Parenting - I saw a Father helping his son (4 or 5) trying to ride a bike on his own. The parent is beside the kid holding onto the seat & letting go once in a while. The child stopped in front of my house as I was cutting the grass & the kid almost falls off.

HE WAS NOT WEARING A BIKE HELMET. I didn't want to cause a problem but I did say "shouldn't your son be wearing a helmet" & Dad's reaction was "you look after your kids & I will look after mine & mind your own business". I told him just my thoughts SIR.

Poor Kid with a Parent like that who doesn't consider safety. I wonder what happens inside the home?

August 1, 2014 @ 3:15 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - Condolences again.

@ dale - That's horrible...just horrible. I heard a dad on my street last night yelling across the complex, threatening to beat his kid if the kid didn't stop whatever it was he was doing. He finished up the rant by saying

"you think I'm kidding....knock it of or I will beat the crap out of you, seriously bro" (yeah...he calls his 8 year old bro)

What fucking decade is this???

August 1, 2014 @ 3:21 PM

dale

@Philly-Bob

WE all see stuff like this alot.

It's unfortunate these "parents" have children & usually following their parents footsteps as they get older. Like Father Like Son.

If you're unable to raise a family properly with common sense why have children.

August 1, 2014 @ 3:33 PM

@dale

Actually, I was talking with his wife there... I don't believe he's aware I was there. I don't believe he has any awareness whatsoever. But it was nice to chat with Jordy at his gravesite...

It's actually the law for kids to wear bike helmets... you could remind him of that.

August 1, 2014 @ 3:34 PM

Anonymous

The Lisi trial will be very interesting in terms of how deep a hole Rob digs for himself. The TPS must be sitting on a gold mine.

August 1, 2014 @ 3:49 PM

Corey

@ dale -

Sorry, but in this case, I think that father had every right to tell you to mind your business. This wasn't an act of child abuse. We're so conditioned now to see grave danger in every situation now that we're willing to interfere in another parent's interaction with his kid, and assume he's negligent?
Remember going back to school each September and learning that yet another classmate had died riding a bike? No, me neither.

August 1, 2014 @ 3:54 PM

dale

@Corey

In no way it was Child Abuse, but Child Safety. It is the law for kids to wear helmets when riding a bike. I was concerned as a parent & were just my thoughts as a parent to parent. Negligent OF COURSE he was is this instance.

Yes, 5 years ago on Allan Drive in Bolton a child was killed riding a bike on the LAST DAY OF SCHOOL with no helmet in front of the school. He was hit by a school bus taking others home.

August 1, 2014 @ 4:16 PM

Anonymous

@dale-

No one wants to hear about a child getting killed obviously. Your example has no relation with a father teaching his kid how to ride a bike. The child in your example was hit by a bus. I'm not familiar with the case, but I think there has to be a big difference between a four year old taking a low speed spill from 2 ft. and getting hit by a bus. Was there any evidence provided that indicated a helmet would have saved him?
Yes, there is evidence that wearing a helmet reduces risk of injury, but interestingly, adults are the ones that are in the most high risk group, yet how often do you see a parent not wearing a helmet, yet insisting that their child does? In any case, the chances of your child being killed on a bicycle even without a helmet are minuscule. There's a greater chance they'll be killed in a car collision - did you warn that father not to drive his kid anywhere?

August 1, 2014 @ 4:44 PM

dale

@Anonymous

Read my post again.

Corey's 2nd paragraph was about going back to school & nobody died during a bike accident. It had NO RELATION at all with the initial subject.

Wear as Seat Belt when driving & a Bike Helmet when riding.

August 1, 2014 @ 5:21 PM

Corey

@dale -

Sorry - Anonymous was me. Look, I'm not trying to be a dick here, or pick a fight. I'm pointing out that people shouldn't be judging other parents over something like this. You see a kid with unexplained bruises? Speak out. You see a kid who is obviously malnourished? Speak out. You see some parent locking their kids in a car on a summer day? Break the windows and report them. A father teaching his kid how to ride a bike without a helmet? Exceptionally low risk activity. Mind your own business, for the reasons I already outlined. Kids can sustain serious head injuries on the monkey bars at the local park. Unless your kid is wearing a helmet and body armour 24/7 you shouldn't really judge.

August 1, 2014 @ 5:49 PM

dale

@Corey

You are taking this way out of control.

I just told the Father he should being a bike helmet & that was it.

BTW - Do you have Kids?

August 1, 2014 @ 5:57 PM

Corey

@dale -

Nope. No kids. I was one though.
Do your kids wear helmets at the playground? If not, and another parent scolded you for it, would you be offended?

August 1, 2014 @ 6:07 PM

Anonymous

CitySlikr ‏@cityslikr 5h
Mayor Ford. Arrives at work. 3pm. Friday. And city councillors' office expenses are The Gravy. #TOpoli

August 1, 2014 @ 6:36 PM

Lorne

Fight the parking ticket. Yes, there are "legit" ones like blocking a busy street, a driveway, a handicap spot, a fire route. Parking overnight and blocking a snowplow, sure.

But these municipal ones are just money-grabbing vulture bylaw bullshit. Parking for more than 3 hours on a quiet side street with no traffic? Bullshit. They're bylaws passed without public consultation, with no mind for public safety. The "3 hours" is even more bullshit. At least with other "no parking" laws, they have to sign it. You can't park from HERE to HERE. But those 3 hour laws-- they gave themselves permission to just put one invisible sign at the city limits, and then steal money from the town's citizens.

Complete and utter bullshit. You should not only fight it, but fight dirty. If they're going to play a cutesy red-tape game, play it right back.

When you file to fight your ticket, ABSOLUTELY check "I want to fight it". And check "I want to dispute the evidence". Make them pull the vulture patrol off the street to come to court. Make them waste time filling in all the paperwork and photocopying their "notes".

And when it takes them 6+ months to actually book your trial-- the very first thing you do is march down to the court and a request for discovery with clerk. Demanding a copy of all evidence to be used against you. One of two things will happen:

1) Since they only give you a couple days form the time they mail the notice until the trail (surprise that), the prosecutor will not have time to procure you the evidence. The day of the trial you file a notice with the clerk-- a notice of constitutional question that your trial took an unreasonable amount of time. You've been denied a speedy trial, and it has compromised your ability to defend yourself. You have taken all reasonable motions by filing your request for discovery, the judge should oblige and dismiss it.

2) Somehow the prosecutor will actually get you the evidence in time. Still file the motion for dismissal based on a constitutional question.

Or play the game on Easy Mode in such a way that only a Canadian can do. When you first go in to request the trial, fill in the checkbox that says "French Trial". If it isn't there, verbally request the trial in French. Oh yes you can. And they must oblige. And if you're in Ontario anywhere outside of Ottawa, there are pretty much 0 bilingual or French judges or prosecutors. None. You will NEVER hard from that ticket again. I've had a bullshit ticket waiting for a trial for six years in Richmond Hill, and over a decade in Toronto.

If by some miracle you actually get a notice of trial, you still file a notice of constitutional question because I guarantee you it'll have been years and years and years and years.

Now, if you feel you need to pay your ticket, then do so. I have. I once forgot to feed a meter. Honest mistake, totally mine, and I paid the ticket. Fair enough. But bullshit bylaws deserve to be fought with equal amounts of bullshit.

The system is inherently unfair and stacked against the honest citizen. If everyone fought their ticket, the system would go down in flames. And deservedly so.

August 1, 2014 @ 6:38 PM

"French Trial"

:-)

Lorne, you just made my day. Hilarious.
But what if you're not actually bilingual?
Does it matter?

August 1, 2014 @ 6:50 PM

Lorne

@this guest: not at all. The peon doing the initial filing literally gives no shits about you or your case. They're intentionally powerless so no one can argue with them.

I've never heard of a case actually getting to trial, but since it's the law that it must be bilingual, just speak English. Or broken French. Or demand an interpreter to delay the trail further. =)

August 1, 2014 @ 7:17 PM

@ Lorne,

An interpreter!!!!! :-) :-) :-)

I love it.
I think this could perhaps be a Jacque Tati film!

thanks!

August 1, 2014 @ 7:28 PM

Argie

To the haters: Ford hasn't been served the subpoena, so you might want to hold off on your celebrating.

The TPS investigated/fishing expedition against Ford has been a complete waste of time and tax payers money. A few months ago when Blair acknowledged his conflict of interest and gave the investigation to the OPP, they promptly returned it to him, stating "nothing here to see, it actually seems Ford is an extortion victim, rather than a perp."

However, that hasn't deterred Blair and his cronies. One day the truth will come out - sure, Ford probably did do something illegal but because of Blair's vendetta against Ford and thus his obvious conflict of interest, nothing will come of it.

August 1, 2014 @ 7:30 PM

dale

@ Corey
I knew from your first comment you don't have kids & you don't know about mentoring children. My kids wore helmets when riding a bike when growing up.

My kids are not kids anymore. 1 is married with a child on the way & graduated from U of Ottawa & other finishing degree at University.

You should live life as a parent & realize what we do has an impact for the future of our children overall.

Nuff said as I don't want continue with someone who has no experience but yet knows it all.

You must still be a Kid.

PK Subban - the Habs shot themselves in the foot with he & Price the faces of the team going forward with arbitration today.

August 1, 2014 @ 7:30 PM

@ Dale

those parents riding bikes with their kids in those completely vulnerable 'wagons' pulled behind absolutely freak me out

@ Argie

glad to see you are still cool with the gun and drug gangs hanging with the mayor your bro'

August 1, 2014 @ 7:46 PM

Corey

@ dale

I think you're losing sight of what the original debate was about. It wasn't about whether kids should wear helmets or not. It's about whether you have the right to question a person on his ability to parent his child based on what you feel is right or not, especially when it comes to low risk activities.
I come from a family of seven kids, of which I was the youngest. I literally grew up taking care of my nephews and nieces. Today, I'm frequently the guardian of my sister-in-law's two daughters (now 12 and 9). Guess what? When they ride their bikes, I make sure they have helmets on. I'm glad your kids did too. Having said that, I'm not going to challenge another parent who is out teaching his kid to ride without a helmet.
Did we as kids wear helmets when we learned to ride a bike? What! No? Were our parents horrible parents? Did the laws of physics change between then and now, or were our parents just morons? You also didn't answer my playground question.

August 1, 2014 @ 8:06 PM

dale

@Corey

It was a comment NOT a challenge to the parent.

Playground - my 2nd youngest broke his wrist on the last day of school in 1995 at the school's playground & was in a cast until a week before before going back to class a week later in Sept.

He doesn't want to see Monkey Bars again.

PS I'm the oldest of 5 Kids all born within 11 years.

August 1, 2014 @ 8:33 PM

Anonymous

rob ford will be subpeonaed in the lisi case - fact

August 1, 2014 @ 9:29 PM

Nick

I listen to Humble and Fred every day and still love it. It is completely different from regular talk radio... the comparison is ridiculous. You want 7 minutes of talk followed by 5 minutes of commercials, weather, traffic and other shit you don't need, followed by 2 minutes of talk and then more commercials... H&F at least weave their sponsorships into the show. I laugh out loud every day listening to them. Although I am looking forward to Eileen coming back!

August 1, 2014 @ 9:37 PM

Anonymous 3

Ford claimed to support subways because the LRT option would “rip up the streets” and cause traffic chaos. The LRT on that route, of course, would run in an already existing off-street corridor. Its tracks and vehicles would not go onto the road at any point. Meanwhile the subway construction would tear up and shut down whole swaths of Scarborough’s busiest streets for a decade or more.

Only 'haters' say, think, or notice things like this.

August 1, 2014 @ 9:37 PM

Glen

I was reading an article in the Globe and Mail about a First Nations Chief who received $914,000 in salary last year which included an $800,000 bonus for being the economic development officer. The "economic activity" he created was for a transfer of $8.2 million from the province of British Columbia.
This First Nation reserve has a registered population of 88 people 35 of whom live on the reserve. It has 2 dozen homes that surround a dirt road. Why do you need a band chief for 88 people or for that matter an economic development officer? I bet there's band council for those 88 people too.
It's what I've said before on Toronto Mike. If native people become more self sufficient these band chiefs are out of jobs.

Here's the Globe link:

August 2, 2014 @ 7:09 AM

Argie

@Glenn
You forgot to mention the $914000 IS TAX fFREE!!!

Just a tiny portion of the 14 billion we give them.

August 2, 2014 @ 7:37 AM

Cheryl

Well, I know about PK Subban. He should have gotten a deal, but didn't. My Habs shot themselves in the foot, but I will always love my Habs no matter what. I miss the old Habs though. Guy Lafleur was my favourite player for a long long time. Well, guess what. I listened to a baseball game last night and I didn't even get bored. Well, my trainer emailed me and told me he made it to Thunder Bay safely. The drive went well. He got me a gift subscription for game day audio baseball. He said he knew I didn't really care for it, but said maybe I can try it again. I thought maybe, but I would probably get bored. Well, I listened to a game last night. It was Orioles and Mariners. Nobody fouled 20 pitches off. The pitching was very good on both sides. Very close 2 to 1 game. It only went eight and a half innings. The Orioles won it so they didn't have to play the bottom of the ninth or go into extras. Now if all games were like that. After that was over, I switched to the Diamondbacks game. Different story. Slugfest and they lost. It's not their year this year. That's a surprise. I still like hockey the best though and can't wait until that starts.

August 2, 2014 @ 8:09 AM

this guest

a slow motion montage of residential schools
fading in and out
a cover version of 'The Way We Were' softly playing in the background

the good old days

August 2, 2014 @ 5:27 PM

andrew

So PK Subban signs for 8 years with cap hit of $9MM each year.

Arbitration was Habs offering $5MM or so & PK asking for over $8MM
for 1 year.

He is a good player & wish the Leafs had him, but Top Salary now for all defense in NHL. NOT in my top 5.

Cheryl - you must be in heaven.
TOO bad the Habs are over the Salary Cap for this year & will have to make more changes.

August 2, 2014 @ 5:28 PM

Speysidephil

@this guest

Have another drink!

August 2, 2014 @ 6:05 PM

andrew

@Speysidephil

Its a long weekend & this guest must be celebrating.

August 2, 2014 @ 6:44 PM

this guest

thanks Speysidephil and Andrew, :- )
I wouldn't mind having a drink.
Last drink:
A beer in early July.
Not much of a drinker.

August 2, 2014 @ 7:59 PM

Wow

You hated Fearless Fred and now you're offering him an olive branch if he comes on your podcast. Stay classy

-R.V.

August 2, 2014 @ 9:47 PM

I don't hate Fearless Fred. Not even a bit. I never have.

He attributes comments left on this site to me and therefore hates me. I have absolutely no problem with the man and would absolutely have him on the podcast.

I've explained the entire situation many times very, very clearly: http://www.torontomike.com/2012/05/i_dont_hate_fearless_fred.html

August 2, 2014 @ 9:53 PM

Cheryl

Well, that's great that PK signed, but too bad they're over the cap. Who knows what other changes they'll make. They will win the cup though. Well, listened to some more baseball last night. Orioles and Mariners again. For some reason and I don't know why I thought it would be another pitchers dual like the last one, but it wasn't and got bored. Diamondbacks was not a pitchers game as I switched to that one. Well, this lasts the rest of the year. I don't think I'll subscribe next year. If my trainer wouldn't have subscribed me, then I wouldn't have it. I sure wasn't going to pay for it. My trainer thought of just buying me a little something and giving it to me, but he was so busy with other stuff that he subscribed me to baseball instead. Well, I found out how much he spent on it. It wasn't that much. It's $19.00 or something for it. I looked it up.

August 3, 2014 @ 7:45 AM

Rob

Not for anything but when he was hired you made a post implying his hiring was negative for 102.1 the Edge.

August 3, 2014 @ 9:57 AM

Elite players no longer become unrestricted free agents in their prime. Teams have to draft them. Look at Subban, Crosby, Toewes, Kane, Ovechkin, Tavares, Doughty...

We can dream about Stamkos coming home in his prime, just like we dreamt about Subban, but it won't happen.

Sigh.

August 3, 2014 @ 10:00 AM

@Rob

I don't like Dave Matthews music, either... but do I hate Dave Matthews? Of course not...

When Fearless Fred was hired from Edmonton I questioned why they'd fire Martin Streek and Barry Taylor so they could hire Fred. That's not hate, that's legit radio criticism.

August 3, 2014 @ 10:03 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Just back from 5 days in Bancroft, and I have thrown in the towel on my first world battle with the weeds and clover on my front lawn. After a couple of hundred dollars in Weed B Gone and probably a 100 hundred hours of weed pulling/derooting, I've lost.
Time to look at mulching the whole front yard (1/2 is currently).

Glad that the power sector is looking at flat feeing low consumer's of Hydro, as who would pay for the Energy sectors pensions if so? Looks like the tax payer pays 5$ for every $1 contributed according to a government commissioned report http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/report-says-pension-plans-for-ontario-hydro-workers-are-unsustainable-1.1943711

August 3, 2014 @ 3:26 PM

dale

@ Mike

Since you posted the Blue Jays plating great - they have bee playing like $h!t.

NO more please. It happens as a coincidence or ??

August 3, 2014 @ 4:01 PM

Cheryl

Well, so the Jays lost a couple games. That's good. I didn't listen to Jays though. I listened to Orioles and Mariners. Orioles win 1 to 0. That's my favourite kind of game because it was fast, a pitchers dual. I didn't get bored. The Diamondbacks was a different story though. That was long. There weren't a lot of runs though but it was slow. They won though, but they're so far out of first place. There's always next year. Maybe I should get it for next year. I don't know if the price was so low because my trainer bought it for me half way through the season or because that's how much it really is. I don't like slow games, but the summer is dead otherwise, but I like my hockey a lot better. Hockey is my favourite, then basketball, then curling, then football.

August 3, 2014 @ 8:13 PM

Rob

@Mike

My only point is Fred has a reason to be irritated with you. New to a city not one day on the radio in Toronto and someone creates a blog post of opinion is hiring is a negative. Not criticizing your opinion or right to post it.

August 3, 2014 @ 10:16 PM

dale

@Cheryl

I just saw a documentary on Bob Seger - Your King.
It was really good & do like him with only a few songs.

This is your challenge Cheryl (without cheating) - Can you name 10 Bob Seger songs.

August 3, 2014 @ 11:53 PM

Lorne

Well, end of day. Time to go to bed to get up early for work tomorrow.

OH WAIT LONG WEEKEND HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

August 3, 2014 @ 11:58 PM

Cheryl

Of course, I can name 10 Boeger songs. They're not all hits though. Anyway, We got Tonight, Still the Same, Hollywood Nights, Turn the Page, Roll me Away, Night Moves, Like a Rock, Fire Lake, Shame on the Moo Jody Girl, Main Street, Against the Wind, You'll Accompany me. That's 10, isn't it.

Anyway, baseball is actually okay. If I get bored because the game is too slow, I can always turn it off. Okay. I know who my favourite teams are. National League it's Diamondbacks because I love Arizona. American League it's Orioles because they have great pitching and I like great pitching and they're ahead of the Jays and their manager used to be with the Diamondbacks. There you go. Maybe they'll both be in the World Series. Diamondbacks need lots of wins though. ,

August 4, 2014 @ 7:47 AM

Cheryl

Typos galore. I meant Bob Seger songs, not Boger songs or whatever I typed. Anyway, work is slow this morning, pathetic. Oh well, I work at home for myself so that's why I'm working. Orioles over Jays tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday. You'll see. I'm glad my trainer got me that gift. At first I wasn't sure, but I'm glad he got it or else maybe I wouldn't be subscribed ever. Diamondbacks are going to win the rest of their games and meet the Orioles in the World Series.

August 4, 2014 @ 9:12 AM

Gary

Cheryl...you seem to not like any Toronto teams at all in any league. Why is that?

August 4, 2014 @ 11:06 AM

Jason from Sudbury

I actually just came across this in my Facebook newsfeed this morning. I laughed when I seen it cause it goes back to the fight your tickets topic.

August 4, 2014 @ 11:12 AM

this guest

Two things we will not hear today:

Bob Seger is joining The Who as their new lead singer. Roger Daltry will play tambourine.

Caribana Festival announces next year's theme is: Polka, Polka, and more Polka.

August 4, 2014 @ 2:46 PM

Cheryl

I have a habit of not cheering for Toronto teams. Like being different, if you know what I mean. Anyway, good Orioles win last night. The pitching wasn't that good though and I thought they were going to lose and I was sure about it, but they won 7 to 3 over the Nationals. Now Orioles over Jays. Just wait. They will win. Nick Markakis is going to hit another home run. He's good you know. Diamondbacks are also going to beat the Royals. I'm so glad I'm into baseball now. The Skyway opened much earlier than I thought. That's good. No, Bob Seger will not join the Who? Are you kidding me. Bob Seger doesn't belong with that group. Anyway, go Orioles and go Diamondbacks.

August 5, 2014 @ 7:09 AM

Anonymous

@Lorne,

I understand your frustration, but let me shed some light on your opinion of the "bullshit" 3 hour rule and how it is a massive waste of your own money (and mine) to fight the "bullshit" laws.

In the City of Toronto, it is a default law that you can only park for 3 hours at a time on a "permitted" street. i.e. no meters, unless otherwise signed, such as 1 hour.

This is because in the early days of this city, the planners were as incompetent as they are today and in a great many neighbourhoods in Toronto, there are no driveways or shared driveways, where homeowners can not park their own vehicles.

As a result, "permits" are required by homeowners in order to park their cars. Yes, it's generally pretty reasonable, if I recall, I pay about $15/month. TO PARK ON MY OWN STREET. Where I already pay taxes, because some nimwit didn't plan for this 90 years ago.

Wait, it gets even better. What if say, I want to park on my front lawn? Why not, all the rednecks do it, right? Nope, can't be done. In general, IF you get permission to park YOUR OWN VEHICLE on YOUR OWN FRONT YARD, you pay. And of course you have destroyed any curb appeal in the process. You have to pay to park in your own front yard and you will NOT EVER get permission/permit to park in your shared driveway. The payment is because technically the city has the right to the first X ft of your yard for infrastructure, etc, so they retain the right to it. You however still pay full taxes on it. But you can't do anything there, except keep it nice, or they will fine you for not keeping it nice. For them.

So, you may think:

Big deal, you bought the house knowing this. It's like the morons that bought condos on the waterfront across the bay from AN AIRPORT, and complained about the noise from AIRPLANES.

Well, it's not exactly the same. We already pay taxes to maintain the street, but we have to pay additional taxes to park our cars there, but if you don't live on the street or in the area, you can park there FOR FREE. Limited to 3 hours, sometimes 1. So when someone parks there for oh, say 12 hours and on some congested/small streets, the homeowners, that PAID for the right to park there, can't. And when you do get a ticket, you fight it wasting your and my tax dollars to boot.

Yes, it happens everyday. I happen to live 2 blocks from a subways station, everyday some TTC jerks pull up at 10:00 (when they can park) and they are there until after dinner. No parking for anyone on the street or the next 2 or 3. They paid nothing and I pay to park 4 blocks from my house. There is a giant green P across the street from the subway station, it would cost them about $5 to park there for the day.

Pay your tickets you cheap skate.

August 5, 2014 @ 4:15 PM

this guest

Socknacki is going to be the next mayor of Toronto.
Laugh at me if you will -
(and I am a Chow supporter)

But Socknacki is going to come right up the middle.
I've thought this for some time.
His numbers are going to start jumping soon.

The media (who all support Tory) will try to keep him on the sidelines
but his appeal will broaden

August 6, 2014 @ 1:41 PM

@this guest

Socknacki will be the best mayor we never had. I don't believe he can win.

He can, however, take votes away from Chow and Tory. I call this the sane vote. If we continue to split the sane vote, the insane will win.

August 6, 2014 @ 2:03 PM

this guest

Mike you might be right.

August 6, 2014 @ 3:12 PM

Anonymous

I was a 100%er but I'm done with Humble and Fred. Hearing them praise Ashley Madison is sad and disheartening.

Anything for a dollar I guess. They've lost this longtime fan because of it.

August 6, 2014 @ 10:27 PM