Canada's Wonderland #PricelessToronto

The forecast for today called for lots and lots of rain. I was eyeballing the hourly forecast last night wondering if I should cancel our trip to Canada's Wonderland or go for it. I decided to go for it.

I've made a handful of wise decisions in my life, and this was one of them. The forecast kept people away from the park and we enjoyed a full day of sunshine and rides without lines. Seriously, there were no line-ups at all. We walked onto every ride we wanted to enjoy.

We also saved a bundle of cold hard cash thanks to MasterCard and their Priceless promotion. You can learn about the savings when you pay with your Mastercard here.

My oldest son isn't much for thrill rides, but luckily for me my daughter shares my love of a good roller coaster. This was a great day.

Canada's Wonderland is perfectly empty this morning

Jacob

Lucky. I haven't been in a few years, but every time I've been in recent memory has had horrible lines.

August 13, 2014 @ 12:50 AM

Broni

I made the same accidental wise decision on the day of the World Cup finale. Everyone else watching soccer elsewhere made for a very pleasant day at Wonderland for us. I might just make it a tradition to go to Wonderland during a major sporting event I don't care about.

August 13, 2014 @ 8:06 AM

Ryan G

Haven't been during the daytime in years.

I used to get free passes for a media / preview night for the Haunted Wonderland thing around Halloween, and it was absolutely fantastic. You'd park free in a special lot, get whisked through a back entrance to a vip lounge with comp'd booze and eats, and then walk around a spookified wonderland with roving ghouls and zero lineups for the rides. Thus, I'm unfortunately now spoiled.

August 13, 2014 @ 9:52 AM

Ryan G

Haven't been during the daytime in years.

August 13, 2014 @ 9:52 AM

@Ryan G

I went to the haunt a couple of years ago. It was awesome, and once again, no line-ups!

August 13, 2014 @ 10:01 AM

Douglas

I haven't been to Wonderland for a few years. I last went with both of my then early-teen sons. We had a great time. The weather was on the hot and sticky side, but for whatever reason, the lineups were not bad that day. I do recall being pleased that I bought my admission through the CAA, saving a decent amount, which was ultimately spent at the park anyways. One hears it all the time with respect to any amusement park these days: bring money.

Last week, my oldest son and I had a mini-vacation, a lap of Lake Erie, which included going to Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio. If you love roller coasters, you simply have to go to Cedar Point. Again, bring money, and buy your tickets in advance (online, CAA/AAA). The lineups ranged from 15 to 90 minutes. You can cut your wait with "Fast Lane" access, but that pretty much doubles your admission to over U$100 per person. When a ride like Millennium Force (the world's first "mega" or "giga" coaster) is about 2½ minutes long, with nearly all of it at high pace, it feels worth it. We did not get on a lot of rides, but we certainly did all of their best/fastest/tallest/longest. Quality, if not quantity.

August 13, 2014 @ 11:17 AM

Guelphite

My nine year old rekindled my love for coasters this year. We got season passes for $80 at the start of the year and its been well worth it. We go in the evenings typically arriving at 630 and stay until close. Virtually no lines doing it this way and can get on about 12-15 rides before leaving.

August 14, 2014 @ 7:52 AM

Broni

@ Guelphite

That's a great way to keep your sanity. We used to do the same thing when Ontario Place was still open. Get a season's pass (paid for iteslf after 2 visits)...arrived when crowds were at their lowest and got out of there when it got busy. No stress to do everything at a break-neck pace in one single day.

August 14, 2014 @ 10:16 AM