Will Any of us Live to See Canada Score a World Cup Goal?

Will Any of us Live to see Canada Score a World Cup Goal?I've never watched the FIFA World Cup with a true rooting interest. Canada hasn't qualified since 1986 and I have no memory of that tournament. I don't think 12-year old Mike appreciated soccer.

In 1986, 28-years ago if you haven't done the math, Mexico was the host and Canada was a serious underdog. Still, we held our own against a powerful French squad before bowing out to Hungary and the Soviets. We racked up a grand total of zero goals.

world-cup

With Canada currently ranked 110th in the world, I have one simple question for the hivemind. Will any of us live to see Canada score a goal in the World Cup?

Eekan Boo

Who cares? The leagues are fixed, it's one rung up from pro wrestling.

June 4, 2014 @ 10:49 AM

Philly-Bob

Funny enough, a friend and I were discussing this yesterday. My son played his first Soccer Game, and there were 8 fields filled with house league kids playing hour long games from 6-9 last night. If you extrapolate that over all of Canada.....

I'd say that by the time my son is 18-20 that yes, these kids playing now will be the future starts of that team...how our hockey prospects look at that point is anyone's guess.

I can tell you that in my little area of Mississauga, the kids are more interested in Soccer and Basketball than Hockey and Baseball....

June 4, 2014 @ 10:52 AM

Derrick

I don't know, but if Canada ever makes it back to the World Cup, I hope they wear the same uniforms/kit.

Without any sarcasm, I think those shirts are awesome.

June 4, 2014 @ 11:02 AM

Anonymous

Compare the coaching and organization the soccer kids get with that of hockey. No contest. Couple that with a short playing season, poorly structured development leagues and inadequate facilities (yeah, the surfaces they play on are generally a joke) and you can see why soccer isn't progressing here beyond a recreational activity. That being said, year over year Canada should with some luck be able to progress out of the region. Maybe that means we make the World Cup 20-30% of the time?

June 4, 2014 @ 11:07 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Anonymous - You are correct, there current coaching levels and facilities leave something to be desired, but that is slowly changing. Another thing that is changing is the amount of kids that register for hockey. I can tell you it is about $150 per season cheaper for my son to play soccer, and the equipment costs for hockey are astronomical. Add to it the fact that at the younger ages you are looking at a 530am-630am practice on a sunday for hockey....

All you need for soccer is a ball, shin pads and a pair of cleats.

June 4, 2014 @ 11:12 AM

Mark H

It is my hope with 3 top end professional teams in Canada that we create enough young players through those systems to make the National Team viable and competitive in CONCACAF sooner rather than later.

Despite the amount of players playing soccer in Canada there are a number of hurdles that ultimately hurt the national team.

-The best athletes are not going into Soccer. The reality for Canada and the United States is that the top athletes go into sports other than Soccer. They play hockey up here or Football/Basketball/Baseball in the United States. What you end up with is a second tier crop of athletes that get pushed through the system. Its not a knock on the athletes, they are the best players playing the sport at a high level, but unlike in the high end soccer nations, if you aren't getting the high end talent, you are not going to compete.

-The Canadian Soccer Association is a joke. It is an amateur organization that is not equipped to address the game at a high level. It is made up of different associations with sometimes competing agendas. We have lost players and coaches over perceived amateur level the CSA operates at. When David Edgar came to prominence at Newcastle his father gave a rather insightful interview talking about how the set up of Soccer in Canada acts as an impediment to development of top tier players.

I think things will get better on the development front. TFC,Impact and the White Caps all run high level youth development organizations that will churn out players that can combine with some of the top end talent we do have to help Canada battle for a World Cup spot.

June 4, 2014 @ 11:25 AM

Ben Vidal

I think you'll see a big change in soccer over the next 15 years in Canada. With the amount of concussions and body injuries happening in Hockey and Football, soccer is a much safer(not completely safe sport). Along with Philly bob's aforementioned cost for soccer vs. hockey it's a no brainer.

I've played soccer all my life and in the 80's and 90's there were almost no indoor playing fields. Now they are popping up all over the place. This is addressing the full year playability of soccer issue. Coaching is getting slightly better and it won't be long before they merge leagues and governing bodies. A lot more europeans are coming down here to coach. Toronto Lynx has a very good feeder program and rep soccer is much better than it used to be.

The biggest weakness in soccer is the priority placed on it vs Hockey. Hockey players are the gods of the sports world in Canada. It's what kids aspire to be. It's why people don't try as hard in soccer. On the other hand you have the Canadian women's soccer team being considered the best in the world. Generally speaking there shouldn't be such a disparity.

Having loved soccer and with the upcoming trip to Brazil for the World Cup I can only hope one day Canada makes it again and scores that goal. Until then it's Spain all the way!!!!

June 4, 2014 @ 11:38 AM

Brian

Only if we host.

June 4, 2014 @ 12:02 PM

elvis

We had a really good shot of being in Brasil and then team fucked it up. We have the best crop of talent right now and it's only going to get better.

The US team is getting older...things look positive for us next cycle and the cycle after.

I'm guaranteeing anything but as someone who follows our National team as closely as I do TFC, it's not as bad as some above have indicated. Don't get me wrong though, we need to be better (both on and off the pitch) for this to happen. But it could.

June 4, 2014 @ 12:08 PM

Us casual fans just see the fact we haven't won since October 2012 and there's not a lot of hope in that.

June 4, 2014 @ 12:10 PM

Anonymous

@Philly

Hockey is absolutely more expensive, especially as the kids move up and play more competitively. I've seen people purchase gear at garage sales, fundraise, etc to reduce that but I think it's just the nature of what you need to play. I would also say you get more for your $ though when you incorporate the coaching. I think the practice times really depend on the association. I know some friends whose children practice Saturday afternoons with their games in the morning. Soccer for young kids seems crammed into the evenings during the week which I think many families also find difficult.

@BenVidal

Concussions seem to be popping up, or perhaps becoming more topical in all sports. This can only result in making all sports safer over the long term as the serious issue is addressed. I think they have changed the ages for when they teach kids to use their heads in soccer also? The indoor facilities are coming along, although they are scarce and so you get into the same issue Philly was complaining about in terms of scheduling times. I was also complaining about the summer surfaces (it looks like they are playing in the rough). My point with hockey was that you go to any hockey practice and it's almost always well structured with 2-4 competent if not very competent coaches. Soccer just doesn't have the involvement, competence or depth at the parenting level. I think the kids try just as hard, it is a matter of directing them. It will take at least a generation for this to evolve which is why I'm so pessimistic.

Don't get me wrong, I love soccer and will always advocate for us improving it especially for the kids! I just wanted to point out the shortcomings and why that sets us so far back on the international stage.

June 4, 2014 @ 12:11 PM

Argie

@Ben
I use soccernet.com to get my soccer news, score, etc. Unfortunately its the only one I know of. Do you know of a better site?

June 4, 2014 @ 12:19 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Anon- You are of course correct. However, I would disagree with you on the downside of weekday evening games. Personally, I like that his practices and games are during the week. They start at 7 in both cases, which gives me plenty of time to get home and get a quick meal in my son before heading out. I like that other than swimming lessons on a Saturday morning, my son's schedule is wide open on weekends for camping, beach, day trips to the zoo etc. Having a game every Saturday would pretty much kill weekend activity for the entire summer.

Just one parents opinion.

June 4, 2014 @ 1:20 PM

Ben Vidal

@ Argie: Normally I go to the guardian to catch up on soccer

I do frequent soccernet.com as well and I have an app for live updates on games. Although Guardian does a pretty good job of matches and the written commentary that goes along with the game is pretty hillarious. I think all sports should have british/scottish/irish commentators.

I also visit respective sites of teams I'm interested in i.e., Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea & Liverpool.

There was a free preview of BEIN sports that appeared on Bell about 3 months ago. It was a fantastic channel for european soccer and other european sports. Great commentary and in depth look at games. Alas Bell teased me and to get the channel now I think it's $14.95 a month, so we know what decision I made there.

June 4, 2014 @ 2:19 PM

Argie

@Ben
Thanks, I had forgotten about the Guardian. I don't like their political slant but I'm sure they're OK when it comes to sports.

So I hope you went for the $14.95 a month???

June 4, 2014 @ 3:01 PM

Ben Vidal

I actually don't go to the guardian for anything else other than soccer coverage.

Yes I paid for it but begrudgingly. It's actually the only sports channel I subscribe to.

June 4, 2014 @ 3:10 PM

Tim

I love football...yep the real football before the Americans stole it. I honestly believe that Canada will score a goal in the world cup before I die. Football is growing in leaps and bounds in Canada. Plus ,with the MLS attracting top tier talent ( Jermain Dafoe) It can't help but be great for the local game

June 4, 2014 @ 7:15 PM

mrmojorisinca

Forza Italia :)
Goal.com is what I use

I think soccer is becoming more popular in North America and as that happens so will the funding and coaching ext.

It also difficult to compare European Soccer to NA, because it just a different system.
Growing up I knew of a few kids who were exceptional here and they tried their trade overseas, all were back within year. The Eat, Sleep, shit the sport..

June 5, 2014 @ 3:48 PM

mrmojorisinca

and yes I think we will see Canada Score a goal in the World Cup in 2022 in Qatar

June 5, 2014 @ 3:52 PM