Tuesday Open Mike

Open MikeWelcome to this week's Tuesday Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Rob

Enjoying the World Cup thus far.

A lot of great games and beautiful goals.

June 17, 2014 @ 8:52 AM

@Rob

Me too... I've caught as many games as I could. Most games have been pretty exciting.

June 17, 2014 @ 9:01 AM

Argie

Lots of goals, lots of drama and lots of flag waving.

Unfortunately my team England lost.

June 17, 2014 @ 9:16 AM

Al The Royal Pain

@Argie

I feel for you...my team is Portugal.

June 17, 2014 @ 9:43 AM

Rob

I'm rooting for Italy so all smiles here (so far).

June 17, 2014 @ 9:44 AM

mrmojorisinca

Forza Italia :)
but outside of the Iran and Nigeria Game no 0-0 draws..
Mexico and Brazil Game should be pretty good today!

June 17, 2014 @ 10:09 AM

And that last minute goal by Switzerland was crazy fun.

June 17, 2014 @ 10:18 AM

Blind Dave

@Toronto Mike

Can you give me your kale smoothie recipe, please?

And what veg does it taste closest to?

June 17, 2014 @ 12:52 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Blind Dave - I typically do a mix of OJ, kale, Spinach, Greek yoghurt and mixed berries.

Oh, and I find kales flavour to be similar to a mix of cabbage and broccoli (all 3 belong to the same family of vegetables).

Mike may have different thoughts, but I've been on a huge health kick the last 6 months so I thought I'd give my 2 cents.

June 17, 2014 @ 1:11 PM

@Blind Dave

It varies, but a typical smoothie in my house includes:

kale
orange
banana
berries
melon
water
ice

That ice is surprisingly important.

June 17, 2014 @ 1:15 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - I just freeze my berries

June 17, 2014 @ 1:21 PM

The resulting ice chips just make it colder and tastier.

June 17, 2014 @ 1:30 PM

Blind Dave

@Toronto Mike

Many thanks. Going for groceries tonight.

June 17, 2014 @ 1:45 PM

@Blind Dave

We used to add plain Greek yogurt for the protein but I felt it detracted from the taste.

June 17, 2014 @ 1:50 PM

I had a MacBook Pro issue last week I'd like to share with the hivemind.

Barb DiGiulio came over to record an episode of my podcast. I play music off my MacBook Pro via a cable that plugs into the headphone jack. This time, the cable wouldn't fit.

Not only could I not plug headphones into the headphone jack, but I couldn't play sound through the external speakers. Essentially, the MacBook Pro thought headphones were plugged in, even though nothing was in the port.

I eventually used a toothpick in the jack to trick the device into thinking the headphones were removed. If this happened to me, it might one day happen to you. It's rather annoying.

June 17, 2014 @ 2:09 PM

Cheryl

Well, my trainer's wife won the soccer game on the weekend so they are 2 and 2. Well, hope they win the rest.

Anyway, is there a way to make smoothies without a blender? I don't have a blender and I am not getting one. I'm afraid of blenders. The thing could jump up on me. This happened when I was a kid and I was helping my mom make some cookies. The container jumped just like that and there was smoke. I am afraid that will happen to me. I'm not buying a blender.

June 17, 2014 @ 5:06 PM

Glen

Jason Spezza born in Toronto, Ontario doesn't want to play for the Ottawa Senators anymore and has asked to be traded. He has a list of teams he doesn't want to play for and that includes every single team in Canada.

God bless Canada.

June 17, 2014 @ 6:27 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Unbelievable storm. Found my eavestrough clogged from my Maple Trees helicopters. Washed most of the mulch out of my garden.

June 17, 2014 @ 8:56 PM

Corey

@Glen

While my extreme hatred of the Senators has cooled over the years as they faded to irrelevancy, there are three (one former) Senators I absolutely never wanted to see join the Leafs. It would kill me if Chris Neil, Dany Heatley or Jason Spezza ever donned a Maple Leafs jersey.

June 17, 2014 @ 9:38 PM

Philly-Bob

I'm with Corey on this one...the guys a Senator...can't put him in a Leaf Jersey.

And if he doesn't want to play in Canada....we don't want him!

June 18, 2014 @ 8:28 AM

Cheryl

Well, not a lot happening in sports these days except of course there is boring baseball. Well, can't wait for the NFL and my Cardinals. They're going to win the Superbowl. Then I will have a great Superbowl party, but only if my Cardinals win which they will.

June 18, 2014 @ 10:44 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Cheryl - Sorry but the Giants will win the Superbowl, the Leafs will win the cup and Bob Dylan is vastly superior to Bob Segar....

June 18, 2014 @ 10:58 AM

Philly-Bob

June 18, 2014 @ 10:58 AM

Argie

Until Spezza announced his "no-go teams" I would have been fine with him as our number 1 centre (considering we don't have one).

Now, he's just another Canadian who refuses to play for a Canadian based team. Is it the taxes, the fact that he cant walk down Main St without anyone bugging him? I don't know.

Either way, it sucks for Canadian teams it may well explain why no Canadian team has won the Cup since 1993.

June 18, 2014 @ 11:17 AM

Sam from England

Sounds like you need to clean the headphone socket Mike - I've had several similar problems with my phone and its usually just caused by fluff.

June 18, 2014 @ 12:14 PM

@Sam from England

I fixed that issue and then forgot to change a setting in GarageBand so I just recorded episode 80 with Freddie P using the built in mic!

Oops.

June 18, 2014 @ 2:18 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Question. Are Bell Canada and Bell Fibreop 2 different companies? I always thought it was all the same company. Just Bell Canada selling tv and fibreop. But someone today told me they were 2 different companies. We were talking about internet and isp's.

June 18, 2014 @ 7:34 PM

dale

Washington "REDSKINS" - NAY for me after reading many articles about getting their name many years ago. Initially OK, but today NO.

Many NCAA sports teams have already changed their names because of this.

It's time for our Major sports teams to do the same - Redskins, Blackhawks, Braves, RedBlacks (a new CFL team in Ottawa as a joke naming their team last year), Indians, Chiefs, etc.

Lots of controversy

June 18, 2014 @ 7:35 PM

this guest

Cheryl I think blenders now are safer than they used to be.

I don't really know because I don't use one. But I'd guess

they are less 'touchy.'

June 18, 2014 @ 11:20 PM

Cheryl

Well, the Leafs won't win the cup. Either the Habs or the Coyotes will win it. Yes, the Cardinals will win the Superbowl. Well, who knows why the blender container jumped off the base, but it did. It was not a good thing. Good thing my mom was there when it happened. Bob Seger is definitely the best. I can't stand Bob Dylan. I hate his voice, but Bob Seger has a lovely voice. He's the best and he should be the king instead of Elvis. Bob Seger will live forever and ever. He won't die any time soon and neither will John Mellencamp.

June 19, 2014 @ 4:25 PM

this guest

I am calling 'satire' on Cheryl's post.
Nobody says Bob Seger has a 'lovely' voice and should be king and will live forever and ever. This is ludicrous.

SATIRE.

June 19, 2014 @ 5:41 PM

andrew

@ Cheryl

You seem to follow "mediocre" teams & singers. Why?

Is either Bob Seger or John Mellencamp in Rock & roll Hall of Fame?
You tell me. I know the answer.

Other than the Habs, your sports teams are average at best & have NO chance of going to the finals in their sport.

June 19, 2014 @ 6:35 PM

this guest

@ andrew

Aren't most teams and 'entertainers' someplace 'not at the very top?'

June 19, 2014 @ 7:01 PM

Corey

@andrew

"Is either Bob Seger or John Mellencamp in Rock & roll Hall of Fame?
You tell me. I know the answer."

The answer is "Yes" and "Yes". Now what?

June 19, 2014 @ 10:02 PM

Cheryl

Well, we all can like certain teams and singers. Bob Seger does have a very lovely voice. He's so good so I wish he could be King. He won't die any time soon. I know that.

June 20, 2014 @ 10:55 AM