Tuesday Open Mike

Open MikeWelcome to this week's Tuesday Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

James Edgar

Ha! First again!

First off congrats Mike on hitting $5000 I'm super impressed. I think I'd like to do something similar but I'd be worried about making the $3500 Minimum.

Second, I installed a Rear shock off off a Hayabusa (insanely fast sport bike ) on my bike as the stock shock was dead and totally crap to start with. The bike rides so much better now! I also installed LED turn signals on the front to replace some crappy ones I put on after breaking the originals ( Dropped the bike off the kick stand :( ) They are so much brighter and frankly better looking I'm getting a set for the back too.

Sorry nothing to rant about , I'm disconnected from this election .

June 3, 2014 @ 9:02 AM

Philly-Bob

Some of the lefties out there are as bad as Ford Nation with the misinformation. I keep hearing people blaming the Con's for the Walketon Tragedy. It had nothing to do with the Con's, it was the men in charge of the facility falsifying reports and drinking on the job (something they admitted to once a fully stocked beer fridge was found in one of their offices.

I didn't realize the Harris government had passed legislation allowing public sector employees to drink on the job...

This isn't about political leanings...I have voted liberal in the past. This is about a group of completely corrupt people operating under the liberal banner. All the people out there who still say 'vote liberal" despite the billions of dollars they have stolen from us are as daft as the people who say "Vote Ford" in the face of all the stupid shit he's done....

June 3, 2014 @ 9:02 AM

Boomer

"Rogers Unveils #NHL Play-by-Play Team: Bob Cole, Jim Hughson, Dave Randorf and Paul Romanuk"

Bob Cole? Sweet. Oh Baby!!

June 3, 2014 @ 9:04 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Boomer - effing right!! I'll take Bob Cole till he drops dead in the booth....

June 3, 2014 @ 9:09 AM

McNulty

@ Philly

Misinformation? This is directly pulled from the Walkerton Report

"The Ontario government failed to make reporting of positive tests for contamination mandatory when water testing was privatized in 1996."

"Government cuts at the province's Environment Ministry made it less capable of identifying and dealing with problems at Walkerton's water utility."

So tell me again about misinformation. While the government wasn't completely responsible, they do hold some accountability.

June 3, 2014 @ 9:10 AM

Ben Vidal

@McNulty: Why even try with Philly-Bob. Esepcially when I'm considered as far left wing is as fox news is right wing.

He always talks in extremes.

June 3, 2014 @ 9:22 AM

Argie

Putting aside all policy I would sooner vote NDP before Liberal. The reason is simply because we've seen what the Liberals can do and God knows its bad.

However, since 95% of the voters work for some kind of union (I know its not 95%), I expect the liberals to be ere-elected. Their awful track record is irrelevant to these people.

And yet these same people call Ford nation blind and stupid. I love the irony.

June 3, 2014 @ 9:23 AM

this guest

Deregulation of public services usually has unfortunate consequences.
Public services were instituted in the first place to benefit the 'public.'
Conserving public values is not a Tea Party (Harris/Hudak) value.

June 3, 2014 @ 9:23 AM

this guest

imagine some kind of graph or wheel
with100 top issues
we vote on as a sort of plebiscite

it would no doubt incorporate both liberal, leftist and rightist
views and declarations
it would be a coalition of
everybody

is something like this even possible?

June 3, 2014 @ 9:29 AM

Vector

Hudak has handed this election to the Liberals on a silver platter.

June 3, 2014 @ 9:37 AM

Argie

Bob Cole is a great announcer........ assuming you don't care to know who just scored, what the score is, who's playing or any other key fact.

June 3, 2014 @ 9:46 AM

curse you Argie
I have severely sprained ribs
and your comment had me laughing uproariously

June 3, 2014 @ 10:07 AM

Speysidephil

Bob Cole died in the booth a long time ago.

June 3, 2014 @ 10:18 AM

Elba

I'm glad to hear Romanuk will be part of the Rogers NHL team. Cole is just okay, but I have to agree with Argie on his summary.

June 3, 2014 @ 10:34 AM

Bob Cole could read the phone book and I'd love it. A good hockey game is 10x better with him calling the play.

June 3, 2014 @ 10:56 AM

his voice
feels very much synonymous with
hockey night in canada

history

June 3, 2014 @ 11:01 AM

markosaar

@James Edgar,

Yeah ditto. I barely scraped up $1000 for Ride for Heart last weekend. (Needed $100, but one of the first donations was $250 so I figured I should try harder.)

I did tell people I'd be focusing on the Ride to Conquer Cancer next year though. I think with enough time I can manage it.

June 3, 2014 @ 11:30 AM

BJ

Mike, I caught the Toronto Mike vs. Cell Guru thing on H+F yesterday.

I thought he came off like a total ass and I wouldn't trust the slimy bastard as far as I can throw him. The guys should have had your back but I think they would sell out their own kids for a free blackberry.

June 3, 2014 @ 11:32 AM

4x4 Time

Just curious, has anyone switched to a gluten free diet and noticed much difference in how you feel, higher energy level, less aches and pains, better sleeping habits etc...

June 3, 2014 @ 11:57 AM

Ben Vidal

@ 4x4: Don't even bother with a gluten free diet. Unless of course you are celiac. Everyday there is more and more proof that hardly anyone is allergic to gluten it's just the passing fad of the day. Just don't each as much white bread, look for whole grains and whole wheat.

Companies are making a mint off this latest fad and it will soon end up like the atkins diet a forgotten memory. Ask any true dietitian and they will tell you the gluten free mode is complete and total bunk.

If you change over and feel better than fine, but chances are it's a placebo affect or you are a hipster that doesn't want to admit it doesn't do anything.

June 3, 2014 @ 12:12 PM

4x4 Time

@Ben Vidal - Yeah, pretty much what I suspected...

June 3, 2014 @ 12:24 PM

Oscar

Does anyone have thoughts on CFRB giving Blundell a guest-host spot on the live-drive this week?

It was an interesting one on one that Ryan Doyel gave. Blundell accused Todd (without naming him), of getting bigger than the show and the music.

June 3, 2014 @ 12:38 PM

markosaar

@4x4 Time & Ben Vidal,

Gluten-free is probably bunk (unless of course you're celiac, as Ben mentioned) however it's potentially not something in people's heads.

Nutritional & digestive science is shockingly nascent I've discovered. My problems are still a mystery and have been wrecking my standard-of-living for over five years now.

Atkin's was fad and overdid it, but I don't think everything was wrong with it. Most people would do fine with (less) meat, lots more vegetables, and little-to-no simple carbs.

June 3, 2014 @ 1:14 PM

this guest

speaking of nutrition it strikes me as weird that we would drink
cows' milk...we're not calves last time I checked.

June 3, 2014 @ 1:55 PM

Vector

@this guest

As humans, I don't think we were ever meant to drink another animal's milk. Most people learn to digest it. Some never do.

June 3, 2014 @ 2:57 PM

Mike from Lowville

@ Argie, some people live in ridings where the NDP don't have a snowballs chance in Halton (HELL) being elected. For those like me, I HAVE to vote for the lesser of to evils. Don't want to but, anybody but Hudak! Can't wait for his party to dump him after he blows another election. Then we can all gladly miss his stupid fucking GRIN! Maybe he will go work for Target. When they pull out of Canada he can then honour the 100 thousand jobs he wants to cut so bad.

June 3, 2014 @ 3:37 PM

Ben vidal

@ Mike from Lowville: The halton riding has been held down by Chudleigh for 6 elections. It's going to take a miracle for Nadira to win that riding. Between the name association for Chudleighs apple farm and his Milton upbringing he's a shoe in. I just wish he'd stop putting up signs with his face everywhere.

June 3, 2014 @ 3:56 PM

@Mike from Lowville
Why so much anger? As noted earlier, try some fiber in your diet.

June 3, 2014 @ 3:57 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - I agree with your notion, if not your candidate. I'm "anyone but liberals" I will hold my nose as I vote for Hudak, but I just can't bear to see the Libs steal any more money from us.

June 3, 2014 @ 4:27 PM

Sorry...there's a bunch of Mike's here, that was for Mike from Lowville

June 3, 2014 @ 4:28 PM

this guest

if you hold your nose while you are voting for somebody
than you are being counter intuitive
which means you are going against your instincts

if you go against your instincts
you will go against your own best interests

June 3, 2014 @ 4:48 PM

mike from lowville
didn't seem all that angry in his statement
and he's right
the Hudak 'greeter' stance is perfect for
target- wallmart

wherever pay is shit
his jack o lantern shrieking grin will be there

June 3, 2014 @ 4:50 PM

fibre argie
fibre

June 3, 2014 @ 4:56 PM

Cheryl

Well, best announcers for hockey are either John Bartlett and Sergio Memeso from the Habs radio and Bob Hihouse who does the Coyotes radio games. I have internet radio and it's free. I won't be listening to Bob Cole. It's going to be Rangers in seven. Then my dad can give me $5.00. That will be a good thing.I never was on a gluten free diet and I don't plan to go on one. Gluten free stuff is more expensive anyway. As you know, I already voted, but voted Liberal. I voted for Glen Murray. There is no way I would vote NDP and I don't trust Hudak.

June 3, 2014 @ 5:03 PM

this guest

no I'm wrong. Mike from Lowville was rather pissed off.
Anger is a motivating tool for survival sometimes.
Sometimes in the cause of justice and compassion.
Sometimes brutish and unfair.
For a powerful emotion it is strangely neutral in and of itself.
Except they say it's not.

June 3, 2014 @ 5:11 PM

dale

Congrats to Milos Roanic & especially Eugenie Bouchard for their accomplishments at the French Open. I don't like tennis & was one sport I never played.

Bouchard will be playing Maria Sharapova in the semi final & I would just dream to be an Oreo Cookie with them both. Both are heartbeats.

Great for Canadian Tennis.

June 3, 2014 @ 6:42 PM

Stephanie

@Mike - Cell guy was a complete DB. I heard your podcast where you described it and I would have said he was based on that but when I HEARD him?? Yikes.. DB with a capital D and B.

June 3, 2014 @ 9:03 PM

@Stephanie

I'm still shaking my head...

June 3, 2014 @ 9:06 PM

come to think of it
maybe we do need a premier
who looks like a necromancer

June 3, 2014 @ 9:17 PM

Corey

@Mike from Lowville,

If you're going to throw your vote away on a candidate that doesn't have a chance of winning, why don't you just decline your ballot (as I described here)? You'd still be exercising your democratic right, but you'd be making a statement that none of the candidates are worthy of your vote.

June 3, 2014 @ 9:46 PM

@this guest
I know how to spell "fibre" (the Canadian way) but you know spellcheck and all?

June 4, 2014 @ 8:34 AM

Philly-Bob

@ this guest - Yeah, but to vote for the NDP is to throw it away, and I'm NOT giving the Libs another chance to further bankrupt this province. Much like with the hard core Ford supporters, I don't understand how anyone can still support the Liberals in the face of all the horrible, illegal things they have done.

I may take a page from Corey's book and go in and decline my ballot.....

June 4, 2014 @ 8:43 AM

James Edgar

I know it's becoming more and more all about party politics but shouldn't we be looking at our local candidates first? And then the party?

LOl even reading that back myself it seems ridiculous:(

I've tried to engage a bit and I can tell you I have no idea what to do. The blank ballot is looking more likely all the time.

I'm probably a natural right of centre liberal ( social liberal Fiscal conservative) but know what I know about IT and deleted emails .... I know something stinks in the liberal party.

Hudak really does not inspire me.

And the NDP ? Horwath seems like a nice woman. Premier? Not so sure.

Maybe a PC minority would work. But then we'd just be right back at this election business wouldn't we?

June 4, 2014 @ 8:53 AM

McNulty

I don’t see how spoiling your ballot accomplishes anything. None of the parties or leaders will care. It only makes your vote useless and could allow the worst party to win. I don’t care if you feel it is PC, NDP or Liberal but apathy or indecision has led to things like a Bob Rae government.

So pick a party. You’ll never agree with one party’s entire platform. But you can sure find a party with a really bad one.

June 4, 2014 @ 9:35 AM

For the record, I would never spoil my ballot.

Even if I disliked all the candidates, I'd think on it and find a reason to vote for someone. Maybe it's the lesser of the evils, maybe it's a strategic vote to keep one party out of power, maybe it's because on the candidates stand on a particular issue.

I've always been able to find someone worthy of my vote, and that's the case this time.

I'm not judging the vote spoilers, merely sharing the fact I'd personally never go that route.

June 4, 2014 @ 9:40 AM

Ben Vidal

Can we all admit last nights debate was absolutely effing boring.

Couple of things I noted.

Hudak came off stronger, but unless he walked up on stage and took a dump on Paikin there was no way he couldn't look strong.

I think he could have come off even stronger if he really laid out what a billion dollars on e health and a billion on gas plants would look like. I.E that would be the taxes for all of Burlington for 2 years. Bring it down to a level that would make it relative for people.

Hudak should have gone after Horvath more from the angle that she was a kickstand for the liberals these past years.

Hudak was also sweating like a hooker in confession. Couldn't anyone get him a face wipe when he wasn't speaking? Perhaps a little anti-perspirant for his forehead?

Wynne looked the weaker of the 3 leaders, but again she had the most to defend. I think it funny the first question of the night was on the gas plants. Never a good thing to start the debate off with an apology.

I do think she man handled/railroded Horvath on the transit debate and made Horvath look rather silly.

Outside of that I feel like she dodged a lot of questions.

I do think the rhetoric on Hudak bringing us back to a recession with his 1000K jobs cut is working. Twitter has been awash with comments on that

Horvath tried to look strong, but came off robotic. In fact she seemed the most robotic of the 3.

You have to hand it to her she seems able to toss out nice zingers every debate. the last time it was buying votes with the gas plants. Last night it was Hudaks million jobs plan has a million math errors. I actually chuckled at that.

I think in the end all three candidates seemed uninspired and really lacking any emotion that would make me passionate to their cause.

As I've stated before I gave up on the leaders and focused on my local politician to see who I would go with.

I too am like Mike I would never spoil or blank out a ballot. I think voter apathy and lack of voter turnout has this prvince begging people to go to the polls even if they spoil their ballot. For Paikin to ask for everyone to vote no matter what even if they spoil their ballot says a lot. That and the radio ads telling us how much easier it is to vote now.

June 4, 2014 @ 9:51 AM

Argie

Ben's assessment is pretty much spot on. In my opinion, people need to look past the leaders and their respective BS and chose the party which will benefit the province the most. Obviously I believe that party is the PCs but that is besides my point. When we try to break down the leaders and try to decide "who's a better leader" or "who's more trustworthy" we forget they're only one person.

So go out and vote - and vote for the party not their leader.

June 4, 2014 @ 10:14 AM

McNulty

I agree with Argie.

"The scandals of the past few years were not all crated by McGuinty nor were the policies of the PCs in the 90s all dreamt up by Mike Harris."

Remember that when voting.

I think the PCs have the worst plan. It's not just that Hudak is a weak leader and the most disingenuous politician I've seen in recent years, but it's the platform.

June 4, 2014 @ 10:31 AM

Ben Vidal

I am curious to any and all out there in Toronto Mike land. Have people voted for any of the fringe parties in the past? For example libertarian party, the family coalition party or the hillariously named "None of the above Party of Ontario". I won't attack reasoning for it just curious and if you want to divulge why.

June 4, 2014 @ 10:42 AM

@Ben Vidal

I haven't voted beyond the major parties.

June 4, 2014 @ 11:02 AM

this guest

hudak creeps me out so much the way he licks his lips and has those death in syria eyes and narrow barbie doll shoulders
whatever party would elect him leader must be made up of zombie idealogues

classic liberal dichotomy with premier wynne (who does not creep me out) when she
says she wants to make ontario place a premier destination but will not rule out porter jets on the waterfront
talk progressive but in the pockets of the corporations

that leaves me one option NDP
though I would prefer the liberals with all their fuckups to
tea party ontario

June 4, 2014 @ 11:13 AM

Cheryl

Hudak doesn't impress me either and I won't vote NDP. That's why I voted Glen Murray Liberal. My trainer talked me into voting for him. It's easier to get rides to the advanced poll so that's why I already voted on Saturday.

Anyway, Rangers will win tonight. Actually I don't really care except to win some money from my dad. My parking renter hasn't paid me this month. He gave me post dated cheques to May, but there is nothing for June. I tried contacting him, but not getting anywhere. I don't know what to do.

June 4, 2014 @ 11:15 AM

this guest

p.s. was out for a stroll when ontario ndp had their convention
at exhibition place a couple years ago

ran across a couple of the staffers having a smoke early in the morning
and asked them a foreign policy question

asked them why the party was not raising holy hell for an issue
that simply glided under the radar as if it was perfectly acceptable

I asked them where the debate was
where was the 'official opposition'

they looked up at me as if I had just discussed the most complex
of Einstein's theories and blankly, vapidly said
'oh that's federal'
while sucking on their thin, white, toxic candies.

I realized holy fuck. all is lost.
the ndp is no longer a party of the left.

June 4, 2014 @ 11:19 AM

@this guest
Your comment about Hudak's lips reminds me of an idiotic comment made by a co-worker about Harper. She said "I just don't trust his eyes". I came that close to calling her an effing idiot.

That's like me saying, "that Trudeau, I just hate they way his hair is so swoopy."

June 4, 2014 @ 11:21 AM

Argie, argie, argie
sometimes mannerisms are revelatory:

ra·pa·cious [ruh-pey-shuhs] Show IPA
adjective
given to seizing for plunder or the satisfaction of greed.
inordinately greedy; predatory; extortionate: a rapacious disposition.
(of animals) subsisting by the capture of living prey; predacious.
Origin:
1645–55;

Related forms
ra·pa·cious·ly, adverb
ra·pac·i·ty [ruh-pas-i-tee] Show IPA , ra·pa·cious·ness, noun
un·ra·pa·cious, adjective
un·ra·pa·cious·ly, adverb
un·ra·pa·cious·ness, noun

Synonyms
2. ravenous, voracious, grasping; preying. See avaricious.

Antonyms
2. generous.

June 4, 2014 @ 11:26 AM

markosaar

Horwath's platform includes weaning Ontario off nuclear power. Deal-breaker.

June 4, 2014 @ 12:52 PM

@this guest
par·a·site

/ˈparəˌsīt/

noun: parasite; plural noun: parasites

an organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense.

derogatory

a person who habitually relies on or exploits others and gives nothing in return.

June 4, 2014 @ 1:04 PM

@ Argie

finally you clued in to the tea party.
thank you.
I'm glad my efforts have not been in vain.

June 4, 2014 @ 1:08 PM

Elba

@Ben Vidal, I voted yesterday and on the ballot there was a candidate that represented the "None of the Above" (NOTA) party. I had never heard of it before.

June 4, 2014 @ 1:08 PM

@this guest
No, silly. I'm referring to the sloths who live off of taxpayers. Or as they call it "govt assistance."

June 4, 2014 @ 1:11 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Elba - They are a relatively new entity. My understanding of their platform is that they want to return to the "government of the people by the people" mentality. A group of "real people" as opposed to the the lawyers and former business moguls that make up the majority of our current politicians at all levels. Now, for all I know the "real people" they talk about may very well be the idiots who derailed the "occupy" movement. Which was a great idea in theory, but got derailed by a bunch of anarchist idiots and drug addicts with nothing better to do.

I don't know enough about their policies to comment on where they stand on issues.

June 4, 2014 @ 1:26 PM

McNulty

Because every single person on assistance is a sloth.

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."

Recognize that, Argie?

June 4, 2014 @ 1:29 PM

@McNulty
Of course, not EVERYONE.

The quote from Roamans states "weak" not lazy or unmotivated.

June 4, 2014 @ 1:35 PM

markosaar

@Argie,

How do you know so many are lazy and unmotivated?

June 4, 2014 @ 1:51 PM

@markosaar
You're right I have no idea. Maybe none of them are. Do you think so?

June 4, 2014 @ 1:53 PM

Philly-Bob

@ McNulty- Agree completely, we as the strong (our levels of strength vary obviously) do have an obligation to the weak. But I'm with Argie as well, the weak are: children, the infirm, elderly and those incapable of taking care of/ helping themselves.

I don't think it extends to sloth's like my cousin who has lived off welfare her entire life, and if the welfare payments stop...she just tricks some dude into knocking her up so she can get more money and stay at home.....there are way too many people out there who abuse a system that was set up to help people who need it. The Liberals and NDP just keep giving our tax dollars to these types of people, and it has to stop.

June 4, 2014 @ 1:55 PM

@Phil
Amen.

June 4, 2014 @ 1:58 PM

Ben Vidal

I'm with Markosaar. No nuclear, no thanks. Again you can say things like that when you know you will never actually be the premier.

I'm not going to get into the debate of welfare recipients being lazy or not. In the actual world we live in not everyone can have it as good as everyone else. Hard work and perseverance doesn't mean you'll be CEO of a fortune 500 company or that you'll be the next bill gates. Yes we have the opportunities to try for it, but it is quite frankly impossible that everyone could live above the poverty line. Impossible to have it where no one would have to work as a Walmart greeter or at Mcdonald's to make ends meet.

To think that it is possible in my estimation is somewhat on the communist side of things.

We do have an obligation to those that aren't as fortunate. Whether it be through sickness, handicaps, mental illness or a victim of circumstance, the elderly and children. There will always be people that abuse the system, but just because we see that in our microcosm doesn't mean it's emblematic of the greater society.

June 4, 2014 @ 2:13 PM

J.K. Rowlings
author of Harry Potter books
and billionaire
has some very interesting thoughts
on the social safety net

June 4, 2014 @ 2:14 PM

The quote from the Book of Romans:

my cousin
tricks some dude
into knocking her up

June 4, 2014 @ 2:17 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Ben - You are right, without a better option, we are stuck with Nuclear (c'mon cold fusion!!!)

You are also correct on what you said regarding welfare. There are always going to be the haves and have nots. I would just like to see some form of accountability as to who gets the money and why. Go be a Wal Mart Greeter or a McDonalds employee. And if you and your family legitimately still need help to make ends meet and keep food on the table, then have at it, 100%.

However, the street I live on has a "rent geared to income" option, and there are a number of people on my street who do not work, and have not worked in the 4 years I've lived there, and tell me they have no intention of returning to work because they've convinced the government that their "back injury" or whatever ails them prevents them from working.

The "Back injury" guy plays on a softball team, and I've seen him carry cases of beer into his house. In fact, he has flat out said "the gov't gives me money, my rent is geared to that income...why would I work when I have everything I need"

I'd like to see a return to the "Workfare" option that Harris had proposed - If you are capable of working and are collecting welfare, we'll give you something to do until you find a job.

A couple weeks of cleaning garbage at the side of the highway would cure my neighbour of his "back injury"

June 4, 2014 @ 2:23 PM

Philly-Bob

@ this guest - you are getting more and more condescending by the day....what else would you say about a woman who hasn't held a job in 20 years and has 3 kids from 3 different guys, oh and the births of the second 2 happened to coincide with when her welfare dried up...

June 4, 2014 @ 2:25 PM

sorry philly bob
I actually wasn't trying to make a point,
just found it amusing to connect
the columns and solemnity of 'Book of Romans'
to your quote
which might have come from a country western song

sounds like your cousin has made some bad decisions
anyway I have no business making light of it
and have overdone yet again my share of space on this thread

June 4, 2014 @ 2:30 PM

markosaar

Science denial: not just for climate change skeptics!

The Daily Show: 6/2/14 An Outbreak of Liberal Idiocy

(Apologies for the funny-looking video -- hard to find a version that will play in Canada. Yay geographic restrictions online.)

June 4, 2014 @ 2:31 PM

Philly-Bob

@ This Guest - not at all, usually I find you quite comical.....upon re-reading your post, I can see how it might have been intended "tongue in cheek"

and if we're talking overusing our share of space then I should probably shut up for a month or so

(and there was a resounding cheer of YES!!)

June 4, 2014 @ 2:39 PM

sometimes Philly-Bob
it's hard to stop ourselves
knowing how much wisdom we
have to impart.

(sound of a bulldozer starting)

June 4, 2014 @ 3:08 PM

Corey

@toronto Mike

No ones advocating ballot spoiling. Not sure where you got that from. Decling you ballot and spoiling your ballot are completely different.

June 4, 2014 @ 4:42 PM

@Corey

My bad... but I'd do neither and feel the same about both. I'll always cast a vote for a candidate.

June 4, 2014 @ 4:45 PM

Anonymous

So let’s be clear on what appears to be the case here. The Ford brothers went out of their way, the Globe alleges, to personally lobby city staff (calling for and attending meetings, and so on) to direct hundreds of thousands or potentially millions of dollars in tax breaks and city business to people they were doing business with. People who could or would direct thousands or potentially millions of dollars in business to the Ford family company. They did not disclose this possible business interest to the city staff members they were lobbying.

June 4, 2014 @ 8:40 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Anon - The problem is, nothing they do surprises me anymore, but Ford Nation will go down with this ship singing his praises. I feel for people in Toronto. I couldn't possibly vote Ford, but with Tory looking more and more like a distant third, I don't know what I'd do...Chow just wouldn't be a viable alternative for me. Ford could just steal this if there are enough people like me...I might have to sit this one out if I had a vote cause I don't know who I'd vote for.

And could you imagine what that egotistical fucking manchild would be like if he won. He'd be walking down Younge, drunk out of his tree with a hooker on each arm and a crack pipe hanging out of his mouth....why wouldn't he??

June 4, 2014 @ 10:15 PM

Argie

I really want Bouchard to win (she won the first set) but then again, can't complain if I have to watch Maria playing in the final. That's never a bad thing.

June 5, 2014 @ 10:31 AM

Anonymous

Ford could just steal this if there are enough people like me...

Ford could just steal this if there are enough people like me..

June 5, 2014 @ 2:20 PM

@ Anon - you forgot the other part

But thankfully I live in Mississauga and don't have to make this choice.

June 5, 2014 @ 3:09 PM

this guest

sometimes... I need to remind myself of things like this..and usually stumble across it when I do:

"Almost all non-literate mythology has a trickster-hero of some kind. … And there’s a very special property in the trickster: he always breaks in, just as the unconscious does, to trip up the rational situation. He’s both a fool and someone who’s beyond the system. And the trickster represents all those possibilities of life that your mind hasn’t decided it wants to deal with. The mind structures a lifestyle, and the fool or trickster represents another whole range of possibilities. He doesn’t respect the values that you’ve set up for yourself, and smashes them.

"…The fool is the breakthrough of the absolute into the field of controlled social orders."

Joseph Campbell, interviewed by the late Michael Toms in An Open Life, p.39

June 5, 2014 @ 3:13 PM

Cheryl

Well, I got my parking rent. That's good. It came today so that's good. Anyway, Rangers lost. They better win the next one. Well, I don't really care, but care about the money because I will get $5.00 if they win. Anyway, I don't want to think about what happens when this series is over. No more hockey. This is the end until next season. Bring on football and my ARizona Cardinals.

June 5, 2014 @ 4:43 PM