Tony Gwynn, Dead at 54

Tony GwynnTony Gwynn was 54. He recorded 3,141 hits, had a .338 batting average and won eight National League batting titles during a Hall of Fame career spanning 20 seasons with the San Diego Padres.

Argie

I don't usually comment on deaths of famous people here but Gwynn was true pro. On and off the field, a winner.

This is similar to when the great Walter Payton died. That sucked too.

June 16, 2014 @ 12:57 PM

Tony Gwynn was the purest hitter I ever say. I'd put Wade Boggs at #2.

Every season he was a threat to bat .400. Nobody could hit like Gwynn.

June 16, 2014 @ 1:02 PM

Gump

Simply an amazing hitter.

Terrible way to go ... "He attributed the cancer to having dipped tobacco throughout his career."

The Boston Globe article states:
Major League Baseball rules prohibit teams from providing tobacco products to players and strongly encourages clubhouse attendants not to purchase tobacco for players. Players cannot have tobacco tins in their uniform pockets or do televised interviews while using smokeless tobacco. Violators are subject to fines."

June 16, 2014 @ 1:08 PM

Argie

@Mike
When I was a kid Rod Carew was considered the best purest hitter.

June 16, 2014 @ 1:14 PM

I was too young for Carew in his prime. I only remember him with Reggie Jackson on the California Angels.

June 16, 2014 @ 2:02 PM

dale

Tony was 1 of my all time favorites, a gentleman on & off the field.

Rod Carew & Tony Gwynn were the purest hitters in baseball & Pete Rose # 3.

RIP

June 16, 2014 @ 2:44 PM

4X4 Time

I met him years ago when the MLB All Star game was played at the Skydome. At the time I was working for a company who had a luxury box at Skydome, and we were invited to a meet and greet thing with the players. Funny thing, I still remember being surprised how small his hands were when we shook hands..

June 16, 2014 @ 4:09 PM

this guest

@ 4X4

wow. what a memory. that's a striking moment.

June 16, 2014 @ 4:14 PM

Anonymous

Does anyone know if Tony Gwynn ever played a game in Toronto?

June 16, 2014 @ 5:11 PM

Anonymous

Does anyone know if Tony Gwynn ever played a game in Toronto?

June 16, 2014 @ 5:12 PM

Glen

@Mike

You need to change the name of your blog to Mike's Death Watch.

Think of the traffic!!

June 16, 2014 @ 5:59 PM

headsup

What a pure hitter and a great gentleman. He didn't even think he would get into the hall of fame based on his low power numbers. This is one the baseball writers got right.

Tony never played a regular season game in Toronto, but started in the 1991 Allstar Game at Sky Dome. Interdivisional play in interleague play didn't start until after his retirement. He did get his 3000th hit in Montreal though.

June 16, 2014 @ 7:55 PM

elvis

Selfishly, it's a shame he played in the NL as it was difficult to catch those games as a kid.

June 16, 2014 @ 7:57 PM

Gwynn faced Greg Maddux 107 times in his career, more than any other pitcher; Gwynn batted .415, Maddux never struck him out.

June 16, 2014 @ 10:23 PM

519 Rob

The big stat about Gwynn that gets me is his strike outs. I can't remember the number, but it was like 400 for his career. That's crazy low.

When you look at the all time greats, their name usually end up on 2 lists. The good and the bad.
Nolan Ryan is a good example. He leads all time in strike outs, and walks. Kind of goes hand-in-hand with a long career.

But where are Gwynn's strike outs?
One news report mentioned he has ONE career 3 strike out game. That's it! 20 years and only once did he strike out 3 times in a game.

Or how about 20 years and he never left the Padres (an average team at best for the bulk of those 20 years).
Loyalty to his team.
I wish he could teach that to some of todays players.

June 17, 2014 @ 8:56 AM

@519 Rob

There are players who hit Gwynn's 20-year strikeout total in 2 seasons.

Unbelievable.