The Great O-Pee-Chee Gremlins Cards Scandal of 1984

Do you remember the great O-Pee-Chee Gremlins cards scandal of 1984?

Because I don't.

markosaar

I don't, but I would have been 2. I was raised with a massive dose of scepticism for collecting things though, so maybe my parents were aware of it.

June 18, 2014 @ 9:38 AM

this guest

"Gum card collectors be warned" as the kid chomps away on chewing gum.
Fascinating 'prop.'
Those kids at the table would be in their early 40s now.

June 18, 2014 @ 10:10 AM

I used to collect baseball stickers. I always assumed the manufacturer was holding back on a few of the more popular players so you had to spend a bundle to complete the set.

June 18, 2014 @ 10:19 AM

this guest

20 years ago I bought something at a dollar store and on the checkout counter
was a cardboard box of Beatle cards.
I assumed some facsimiles related to an Anthology CD release, etc... and paid no mind.
And then saw them nowhere else.
By the time I got back there they were gone. I assume (wild guess) the owners cleared out some basement beneath a defunct corner store and I missed out on originals.

June 18, 2014 @ 11:53 AM

Lorne

Very few people survived that incident to tell of it first hand. be skeptical of anyone who says they were there. Chances are they are lying or trying to scam you. A damn travesty, and extremely disrespectful for the countless souls lost during that dark period.

If you do find someone who actually was there, you'll know-- the scars, the injuries, the thousand-mile stare-- you just can't fake that. You just can't. Buy that man a drink, and thank him for facing O-Pee-Chee, so you and your children never have to. It'll be a token of gratitude on a debt that could never, ever be repaid.

June 18, 2014 @ 1:24 PM

this guest

ha! @ Lorne

:- )

June 18, 2014 @ 5:11 PM

Mike from Lowville

I remember. I complained to O-PEE-CHEE about the same problem with the Hockey sets before the Gremlins scandal. I saw that on Marketplace then..... I started collecting factory sets ONLY after that.

June 20, 2014 @ 3:48 PM