D-Day: Seventy Years Later

D-DayToday we pay tribute to the 150,000 Allied troops who took part in the biggest military invasion in history, the D-Day invasion of Normandy, France.

The story of the Canadians is particularly touching. At the time of the war, Canada was a nation of only 11 million people with more than a million of its citizens in uniform. While the United States had the most D-Day casualties, Canadian forces suffered the highest percentage of losses. Roaring off of Juno Beach, Canadians made the deepest Allied penetration June 6, 1944.

We can never forget that efforts such as this is why we have such freedoms and opportunities in Canada today. I am so thankful it's impossible to accurately convey my gratitude.

Last September, 9,000 bodies were stenciled across a beach in Normandy to honour the dead.

normandy

this guest

young and brave Canadians
defeating a terrible evil
veterans almost gone now

June 6, 2014 @ 12:13 PM

Jenny

This picture is rather amazing---we can only imagine.

As the daughter of a WW2 vet (although he was not involved in this invasion), they have all my respect. Thank you to all. This is why we must guard our wonderful country now---so these people did not lose their lives in vain.

This gentleman has taken on quite the task: http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2014/06/06/a_face_to_the_names_of_hollands_fallen_liberators.html

Lest We Forget

June 6, 2014 @ 12:50 PM

Alison in Ottawa

My husband is in Juno Beach today with a group of 120 cyclists raising funds for Wounded Warrior Canada. They will be riding over 700kn visiting Canadian battlefields and cemetaries and other memorials of importance to Canmadians across Normandy ending at Vimy Rdige. If you are on Facebook check out "Matt's Battlefield Bikeride" page.

June 6, 2014 @ 3:03 PM

@Alison in Ottawa

That's amazing.

June 6, 2014 @ 3:06 PM

this guest

Mike you set the mood of the day with this remembrance.

I have thought a lot today about holes in my [Canadian] reading. For example, I've seen 'The English Patient' as film but never read it.

I've long been interested in Farley Mowat's northern experience but never read 'And No Birds Sang' or other works inspired by the war experiences of 2nd. Lt. Farley Mowat. It might be a bit dark for 'summer' reading although much of the literature I prefer does include *types of* historical narrative which by necessity includes the more tragic elements of human history.

But I think I'd like to see things within the context of an older Canadian generation who did so much for us then, and returned to make dramatic improvements in society. Those old guys who we took for granted.

In the Beatles film A Hard Days Night' this dry exchange occurred:
Bloke with bowler: 'See here, I'm a veteran and fought for your freedom young man.'
Ringo: (tongue in cheek) 'I'll bet you wish you lost.'

:- )

June 6, 2014 @ 7:27 PM

Normandy then and now

Hello, we didn't know about the massacre of Canadian soldiers at the Abbey Ardenne after D-Day in Normandy until a recent visit. Our blog about this tragedy with photos here:
May they rest in peace.

June 7, 2014 @ 9:51 AM

Blind Dave

My Dad was also a WWII vet, though not in Normandy. He did, however, fight against both Rommel and then later the Japanese. He was one of the few lucky ones who came back.

This particular D-Day was a very important remembrance (they are all important, of course) as so few soldiers are still with us.

June 7, 2014 @ 12:14 PM

this guest

My dad had nightmares his entire life from his WW2 experiences.

Some historical anomalies (if that's what they are) around the war
puzzle me:
Why was Hitler's fascist ally the dictator Franco of Spain simply allowed
to 'stay in place' until his death in 1975?
We know Franco as the general who 'borrowed' Hitler's warplanes
to destroy the town Guernica in 1937.
Hence the famous Picasso painting 'Guernica.'

June 7, 2014 @ 12:42 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Brave brave men indeed. They were so young, and the sacrifice they made knowing they may never return, is unbelievable. I take comfort in the knowledge the under 20's today have of these events. My father is a WW2 vet (Merchant Navy) and is asked many times a year to speak to Air and Sea cadets, Cubs and Scouts to help inform them of the sacrifices they made. He always starts with, I never had to take another's life, but i saw many of my mates die as their sacrifice for freedom.

June 7, 2014 @ 2:27 PM

Toronto laundromats

This is very valuable post for us ,I think the presentation of this post is actually awesome one. This is very valuable post. I think the presentation of this post is actually awesome one

June 8, 2014 @ 3:05 PM

Anonymous

The Germans lost World War II at the Battle of Stalingrad, which was fought from August 23, 1942 until February 2, 1943, when most of the remnants of the powerful German Sixth Army surrendered, including 22 generals.

Nineteen months previously the largest invasion force ever assembled on planet earth invaded Russia across a one thousand mile front. Three million crack German troops; 7,500 artillery units, 19 panzer divisions with 3,000 tanks, and 2,500 aircraft rolled across Russia for 14 months.

By June 1944, three years later, very little of this force was left. The Red Army had chewed it up. When the so-called “allies” (a term which apparently excludes Russia) landed in France, there was little to resist them. The best forces remaining to Hitler were on the Russian front, which collapsed day by day as the Red Army approached Berlin.

June 9, 2014 @ 1:18 PM

Luigi

As far as the USSR and the western allies was concerned, the old proverb 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' would apply.

June 9, 2014 @ 6:15 PM