Casey Kasem, Dead at 82

Casey KasemCasey Kasem was 82. He was the host of American Top 40 on radio and America's Top 10 on television. He also provided the voice of Norville "Shaggy" Rogers on Scooby-Doo.

Douglas

Even though his show was not broadcast on Canadian radio stations at the time (another sarcastic "thank you" for the CRTC), I spent many, many hours over many years listening to "American Top 40". A great voice and talent has gone silent.

June 15, 2014 @ 11:38 AM

elvis

Totally one of the greats in broadcasting and one of the first people I remember hearing on the radio.

June 15, 2014 @ 2:45 PM

Cheryl

I remember him. He was on Canadian radio. He was on CKOC in Hamilton. I didn't really care for him that much though. I just didn't like him, but too bad he died.

June 15, 2014 @ 9:31 PM

And here's Casey Kasem losing it in the studio. A classic outtake from a legend.

June 15, 2014 @ 9:35 PM

CQ

I greatly enjoyed listening to Kasem's AT40 repeats a few years ago via Hamilton's K-Lite 102.9 station. A 1970s specific block of weekly countdown playbacks would also have been welcome. Often I would - first plug back into the wall outlet - keep the commercial fm station on for a good three hours or more.
A link of my own 'Kasem' topic entries at .25: http://classicquarters.blogspot.ca/search?q=Kasem

@TorontoMike 21:35 p.m.
I hate how the internet is cluttered with that one lone Kasem audio clip. It is 1990s loserism to target first and only upon another person's lesser moment(s). This man had a full lifetime of consistent radio greatness! Four Summers ago, I couldn't find anything else of Kasem's AT40 work online.
R.I.P. Casey.

June 16, 2014 @ 8:49 AM

Speysidephil

Casey Kasem AT40 is on 92.1 every Sunday morning. It's a treat to listen to him.

June 16, 2014 @ 10:03 AM

Philly-Bob

He also did the voices of Cliffjumper and Teletran 1 on the old Transformers show...wow this guy was all over our childhood.

RIP Casey

June 16, 2014 @ 10:24 AM

Glen

This is how I remembered Casey Kasem.

June 16, 2014 @ 10:43 AM

519 Rob

@ Phily Bob,
He was also Robin on the old Batman and Robin animated show (I think on Superfriends also).

June 16, 2014 @ 10:45 AM

Gary

In older episodes of Scooby Doo, his name in the credits was spelled as Casy instead of Casey. I wonder if he changed it or was it a mistake?

June 16, 2014 @ 11:01 AM

Philly-Bob

@ 519 Rob - Indeed he was!! He was also in Grease (not that it's a treasured part of my childhood, but my sister and her friends sure did seem to watch it a lot...)

June 16, 2014 @ 11:08 AM

Gump

Gotta agree with CQ here (probably a first...).

A lifetime of professional voice work and you happen to showcase one of his lesser (albeit warranted) moments.

It parallels what occurred towards his last days with the family fighting for the compassionate care he requested but didn't receive until court ordered.

Rather unfair on both counts.

June 16, 2014 @ 1:03 PM

Maybe it's because I listen to a lot of Howard Stern, but I've always felt this Kasem clip is a classic. I don't think it detracts in any way from his lifetime of work. In fact, his point about coming out of an up tempo song and talking about someone's dog dying is pretty damn valid.

I'm okay with sharing this well known clip in the comments about the man's death.

June 16, 2014 @ 1:23 PM

this guest

if nobody had ever heard of him before and heard that clip
above
they would learn something about juxtaposition, media and his
personality.
I don't think it's a 'lesser moment.' Just a real one.

June 16, 2014 @ 4:11 PM

elvis

Howard spoke at length about Casey today. In a Stuttering John interview, Casey admitted he knew of the clip and thought it was funny but also confessed he had never heard of it or had ever listened to Stern. He took pride in being honest and a regular person, he had no issue with the clip whatsoever.

June 16, 2014 @ 8:31 PM