The Guvernment / Kool Haus Closing

The Guvernment / Kool Haus ClosingThe Guvernment / Kool Haus Entertainment Complex at 132 Queens Quay East is closing its doors for good on January 31, 2015.

The last gig I saw at the Kool Haus was the CASBY Awards 2008. You can read my recap of that event here. Looking back, that was a pretty awesome show with USS, Tokyo Police Club, Sloan, City and Colour and more.

What's going to replace The Guvernment / Kool Haus? Why, condos, of course!

Ryan G

Ah shit now where am I going to go to listen to douchey techno and increase my chances of getting shanked by 57%.

May 1, 2014 @ 4:30 PM

elvis

I saw Prince there.

May 1, 2014 @ 4:36 PM

Tim

Saw fat boy slim there. Lousy venue, lousy sound, lousy neigburhood...good riddance

May 1, 2014 @ 4:58 PM

I spend a lot of time in this neighbourhood because my wife was working at 1 Yonge Street.

The worst part is the sickeningly sweet stench of the Redpath Sugar Building. But, if you don't smell that, it's improving, slowly but surely.

May 1, 2014 @ 5:00 PM

Andrew

Saw a lot of concerts at that place when it was RPM - used to help DJ there too from time to time. The only time I ever saw a concert at The Guvernment was to see They Might Be Giants and even then it might have been RPM still.

Just what the city needs... more condos.

Cheers,
Andrew

May 1, 2014 @ 5:47 PM

markosaar

I saw my first concert (Primus) at The Warehouse, which I guess was to RPM as Kool Haus is to The Government?

I've never had a complaint, seen a lot of great shows such as The National, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, and last week, The Knife, there. I'm apparently more disappointed than most that it's going. What other comparably-sized venues are there? Sound Academy? I hate that place.

May 1, 2014 @ 6:53 PM

markosaar

*Guvernment

May 1, 2014 @ 6:53 PM

twins from bolton

My 1 son was in a band for a few in years during middle 2000's during the Warp tour as The Bell Ends.

I remember seeing them playing there & was NOT as good sight overall as venue was dirty, neighborhood scary & many losers outside looking for change for a "coffee". Scary situations.

Good riddence.

May 1, 2014 @ 9:26 PM

mrmojorisinca

I've seen alot of concerts here..and spent plenty of Saturday night here from the techno room to the Orange room.. and one Sunday morning at the one and only Rave I've ever been too...Will mis the venue for concerts that for sure!

May 2, 2014 @ 9:23 AM

Anonymous

I saw Nick Cave, M.I.A., Steel Pulse, Chemical Brothers, and Neko Case there, but I didn't really hear them. Had a beer with Jane Siberry the night it opened. The Phoenix will have to do.

May 3, 2014 @ 4:59 AM

Mofo

I saw Green Day there. That sucks. That was my favourite place to go to for a concert.

May 3, 2014 @ 9:27 AM

Wayner

fine young cannibals
spirit of the west / philosopher kings

May 5, 2014 @ 1:42 PM

Philly-Bob

The Warehouse was where I saw many of my favorites play back in the late 90's. I saw Matthew Good Band, I mohter Earth, Finger Eleven, 3 Doors Down, and many others there.

...also the 1st place I went crowd surfing.

May 6, 2014 @ 1:08 PM

the brother

billy idol

duran duran (25th anniversary tour warm up)

RIP disco thursdays @ RPM.

May 6, 2014 @ 3:56 PM