Randy Carlyle Signs 2-Year Extension

Philly-Bob

Um...yeah. Just..FUCK!!!!!!

May 8, 2014 @ 3:25 PM

I watched A LOT of Leafs hockey last season.

Our defensive system was non-existent. We relied on the goaltender standing on his head. When the goalie wasn't lights out, we were toast.

I pin the complete lack of a decent defensive system on the coach. I watched 24/7, and read / heard enough Randy Carlyle quotes to see this is a guy who coaches by saying "play harder" and "compete more". That's not helpful, nor will that work without an element of luck.

It's one thing to give him another year, it's another to extend him for 2-years beyond next season. That's asinine.

Next year is going to suck. If Bernier is completely awesome, and we get lucky, we might finish 8th in the conference. I wouldn't bet on it.

May 8, 2014 @ 3:29 PM

Philly-Bob

AS i said in the previous post. I will be spending the summer figuring out who my new team is...cause it sure ain't gonna be the Leafs.

Markham (Florida) Panthers in 5 years!!!!!

May 8, 2014 @ 3:30 PM

@Philly-Bob

I survived the Harold Ballard 80s, and I'll survive this.

May 8, 2014 @ 3:33 PM

Michael Zanette

I hate this team. Been a fan all my life, I might have to skip next season.

May 8, 2014 @ 3:38 PM

GAR

Idiot can't even use a toaster.

May 8, 2014 @ 3:42 PM

Philly-Bob

Mike, I survived Ballard too (granted I was born in 81, so I didn't really know what was what). But this is just too much....

May 8, 2014 @ 3:55 PM

Argie

On the bright side there's no guarantee he'll be around when the contract expires.

May 8, 2014 @ 4:13 PM

@Argie

I think it's safe to say he won't be.

Ron Wilson got an extension, too.

May 8, 2014 @ 4:16 PM

Eekan Boo

There are Leaf fans and then there are hockey fans.

May 8, 2014 @ 4:39 PM

@Eekan Boo

This Leafs fan has watched playoff hockey just about every night this past month.

May 8, 2014 @ 4:42 PM

Eekan Boo

Isn't it great!! Speed, crunch, talent, play making, shot taking, oh the JOY of real hockey!!!
For the record, I am a life long Keon fan. Everthing 14.

May 8, 2014 @ 4:50 PM

this guest

just wondering what bob seger thinks of carlyle's contract extension.

May 8, 2014 @ 4:57 PM

elvis

This is fucking bullshit. Nonis is a maniac. I can't wait for the next podcast. I'm going to go off again. They really are THAT stupid.

May 8, 2014 @ 9:13 PM

Philly-Bob

@ elvis - amen brother

May 8, 2014 @ 10:38 PM

Gary

The Leafs can't keep changing coaches all the time when the same malaise seems to fall on every Leaf team regardless of who the coach is. Maybe management is telling players it is time they are accountable. Too many coasters on this team.

May 9, 2014 @ 6:44 AM

Philly-Bob

Bob McCowen made an interesting statement yesterday. He said take 5 players form the Leafs (Kessel, JVR, Bozak, Bernier and Riley) And swap them with their counterparts on the Mariles (So Put the Marlies top line, starting Goalie, and 1 defenceman on the Leafs) and he guarantees you that the Marlies (With Kessel et all) would win.

Basically what he was saying is with the exception of those 5 players, the rest of the team is interchangeable. And he made a point of saying "Yes I am including Pahneuf in that statement"

So yes this coaching decision is a joke...but let's be honest, so are the players for the most part.....

May 9, 2014 @ 8:20 AM

army42

BE AWARE NEXT TIME YOU DRIVE TO TORONTO

The OPP are cracking down on speeders heading into Toronto.

For the first offense, they give you 2 Maple Leaf tickets.

If you get stopped a second time, they make you use them.

Q. What do you call 30 millionaires around a TV watching the Stanley Cup playoffs ?
A. The Toronto Maple Leafs.

Q. What do the Maple Leafs and Billy Graham have in common ?
A. They can both make 20,000 people stand up and yell "Jesus Christ".

Q. How do you keep a Toronto Maple Leaf out of your yard ?
A. Put up a goalie net.

Q. What do you call a Maple Leaf with a Stanley Cup ring ?
A. Real old.

Q. How many Maple Leafs does it take to win a Stanley Cup ?
A. Nobody can remember.

Q. What do the Maple Leafs and possums have in common ?
A. Both play dead at home and get killed on the road !

May 9, 2014 @ 8:26 AM

Rick2

I will not blame Carlyle for this collapse. He has to work with what he his given. I pin this mainly on the players and GM- some key players hardly showed up after the olympic break.

If, come September, Carlyle had to go with the same core of underachievers, then he will not last long into the next season.

I blame Nonis, and put this on him - big player contracts that no one else will touch in a trade. Based on his track record, Kadri should be in for a big raise !!

Carlyle the problem? No ... but I do not understand why the extension when he had a year left on his existing contract.

May 9, 2014 @ 8:49 AM

4x4 Time

After Carlyle ripped Gardiner in his year end presser, and assuming Leafs bring Gardiner back, this cannot be good..

May 9, 2014 @ 9:54 AM

Boomer

Mike, on the bright side signing him to a 2 year deal almost guarantees he will not last 1 year.

Go Habs Go!

May 9, 2014 @ 9:57 AM

@Boomer

But he had a year left on his old deal!

May 9, 2014 @ 9:59 AM

mrmojorisinca

I'm with some of the reports out there that Mike Babcock will be our coach come 2015/2016 season, unless Randy can pull a rabbit out of his ass with the squad

May 9, 2014 @ 2:17 PM

mrmojorisinca

Its a sign of "we believe in you" he doesn't have the personal to play his system..so I'm guessing some serious changes are coming..but I feel Mike Babcock is on his way once his contract is done in Detroit

May 9, 2014 @ 2:22 PM

dale

Don't forget Ron Wilson signed an extension Christmas day 3 years ago & was fired the same season.

Go figure. Randy had 1 year left & don't understand the extension.
Wait until next year - NOT NOW.

If this is Shanny's doing the Leafs are in for a long drive with the bus going over the cliff.

May 9, 2014 @ 6:16 PM

Blind Dave

Leaf fans overreact as usual.

To me the extension is a psychological ploy to tell the players the onus is on them. Coaches get fired and this doesn't change a thing.

It is also a matter of player personnel. The only thing Carlyle needs to change is to create a system that suits one good line, a few spare parts, and a bunch of stiffs. The top line is going to be overplayed regardless, as there is no other alternative. But the system has to be changed to accommodate the situation.

Assistant coaches play an important role. If the new blood can help out with puck possession and special teams, perhaps they can avoid another crash and burn. It's easy to have 20/20 vision, but it was rather obvious the sloppy play was going to bite them as the season went on and the games got tighter.

May 10, 2014 @ 12:52 PM

Wayner

How many messiah’s have the leafs had since 1967? I believe Brian Burke was the last…
Before we anoint Mike Babcock to that long list of front office personnel…we got to realize that he’s going to make mistakes…perhaps more than two

May 12, 2014 @ 3:14 PM