Kathryn Humphreys Gone from CityNews (Updated)

Kathryn Humphreys Gone from CityNewsKathryn Humphreys joined Citytv in 1997 working on CityNews Weekend before moving over to CityNews Tonight. I've just learned she's no longer a part of CityNews.

When my son played tee-ball at High Park, I remember her covering a game as part of her popular Tee-Ball Tuesday coverage.

I always liked how Kathryn Humphreys talked up sports, never taking it too seriously. Here are my favourite tidbits about her as she leaves our airwaves after 17+ years:

• She is married to Johnny Fay, a member of my favourite band, The Tragically Hip
  • Her father used to own the Oshawa Generals
  • Her replacement at CityNews is my friend's son's girlfriend who Jeff Marek and I talked about in episode 74 of Toronto Mike'd

Here's hoping Kathryn Humphreys returns to Toronto television.

Happy Update:

Kathryn Humphreys has welcomed twin boys. This might be the first time "family reasons" wasn't bullshit. Congrats, Kathryn.

Matt

Too bad, she is one of the best.

Can't say I'm surprised though. When Sophia started doing sports it looked like the writing was on the wall.

I have no doubt Kathryn will land on her feet very soon.

May 29, 2014 @ 5:44 PM

Second Time Around

WILLIAM HOUSTON

From Friday's Globe and Mail

Published Friday, Nov. 16 2007, 12:00 AM EST

Kathryn Humphreys, who suddenly quit last week as a sports reporter at City-TV in Toronto, is expected to return to the station after the departure of Stephen Hurlbut, City's national vice-president of news. Sources said yesterday that Rogers Media was furious over losing Humphreys, who had been unable to reach a contract agreement with Hurlbut. An internal memo circulated by City-TV on Wednesday said vaguely that Hurlbut "has left Rogers."

According to sources, he was fired.

Humphreys, 37, had been at the station for 10 years and was among its most popular personalities. Humphreys could not be reached for comment, but apparently she had been without a contract for a period of time and had not made progress on a new deal.

Jan Innis, the vice-president of communications for Rogers, said the company would not comment on Hurlbut or Humphreys.

May 29, 2014 @ 6:09 PM

markosaar

Invite her to your podcast!

May 29, 2014 @ 6:13 PM

@markosaar

I would, but she'll be too busy with new twin boys.

May 29, 2014 @ 6:15 PM

Liz

@Markosaar

Great idea to have Kathryn guest with Mike. Maybe once things settle down with the twins.

I've always loved Kathryn's work - t-ball Tuesdays was always a lot of fun. She's terrific and will be sought after, for sure.

But, for now, her days will be full with the babies - pretty cool.

May 29, 2014 @ 6:45 PM

James Edgar

I barley watch TV news anymore but I always liked her style.

Is she still married to Johnny Fay from the Hip?

May 30, 2014 @ 9:58 AM

@James Edgar

Someone didn't read my favourite Kathryn Humphreys facts above!

p.s. The answer is yes.

May 30, 2014 @ 10:28 AM

Douglas

So the Hip family grows by two - and not tragically.

June 1, 2014 @ 11:44 AM

Steve

People actually watch City News? Interesting.

June 1, 2014 @ 4:02 PM

Gay Tushingham

I will miss you Kathryn. Hope you are back soon. Show off the little ones.

June 2, 2014 @ 6:49 PM

Joan Brown

Kathryn is the only bright light in a world of male dominated sports casting.( GET HER BACK)

June 4, 2014 @ 6:16 PM

Jacqueline Brammer

Congratulations.miss you on sports

June 6, 2014 @ 11:22 PM

Doug DeViney

We enjoyed and looked forward to your outlook on sports.
Understand completely your priorities.
Look forward to your return when you are ready!
Congrats on the family!!

June 10, 2014 @ 6:08 PM

Karen Stirrett

Congrats to Kathryn. But really going to miss her wit!
Karen

June 20, 2014 @ 6:24 PM

Larry Young

I literally had to quit watching City news when I simply could not stand any more Rob Ford Rob Ford Rob Ford. Now Kathryn is gone, there really is no reason to switch back to City. Hamilton news wasn't so fixated on stupid Ford and offers more diversified reporting.

"Get Kathryn back on her terms" and I will start to watch City again.

June 24, 2014 @ 11:37 PM

Margaret

The 11:00 news is not the same without Kathryn. Please, p
lease get her back. I looked forward seeing her now I turn off the news just before the sports. Not the same.

June 26, 2014 @ 10:58 PM

Dawn Lee

Well I can't believe the stupidity of City for letting her go, T-ball Tuesdays are not the same. I don't watch the sports on City anymore

June 27, 2014 @ 1:54 PM

mar

Congrats to you and your hubby on the addition to your family.

June 27, 2014 @ 8:46 PM

markosaar

Aw. My nephew was in T-Ball Tuesdays last year.

June 27, 2014 @ 9:53 PM

Oldj

So sad to hear of Kathryn's departure from the CITY new team. Always looked forward to her brand of whit and humor and feel that the news team at CITY has lost a bright and shining star. An excellent sports reporter I hope to see her return to television in the near future. Wish her all the very best in her endeavours.

July 1, 2014 @ 6:22 PM

Lisa McAllister

Bring back Kathryn we miss her sense of humour

July 3, 2014 @ 11:46 PM

Trish

I miss Kathryn, especially tonight. She would have made witty and funny cracks about The sports newscast tonight. 😞

July 4, 2014 @ 11:28 PM

Dee Hayes

Congrads guys on your twins..i am sure they are adorable!! Dont forget to bring them to the GM Center and show us Gens fans...Miss u huge on City..i hope you come back soon after your materniity leave..Roger looks lost..lmao..congrads again to you both :)

July 7, 2014 @ 6:48 PM

Harold

Kathryn we wondered what happened to you. We thought Roger said you were away tempoarly. We tuned in to the newscast because of Kathryn c'mon Rogers get your act together. Will not watch until you do so!

July 7, 2014 @ 11:52 PM

sue

Miss your funny sense of humour I knew there had to be a reason why you haven't been around for a while having babies is a good enough one. Huge concrat's to the greatest and sportscaster now get back to city T.V.

July 11, 2014 @ 7:00 PM

sharon

Wow, great news, congratulations...lucky babies to have such an amazing person for their mommy. Hopefully we'll get to see them before theyre T-ball tuesday age!!! Hope to see you back on "The City" job...you're truly missed.....Absolutely NO ONE can do sports like you!!!!!

July 16, 2014 @ 12:08 AM

Joanne Royal

Kathryn is the reason I watched City News......

The rest are so fake - I do wish her all the best as a new Mommy!

July 16, 2014 @ 10:39 AM

Ron

I sincerely hope she returns after her mat leave. And congratulations on the twins! First - Kathryn is great at her job. Sports are a type of entertainment and it's never been lost on Kathryn. Second - Kind of easy on the eyes too. Oops, that's not politically correct is it? Tough.

July 16, 2014 @ 6:56 PM

Anonymous

I'm sorry I have nothing against...what's her name..Sophie but no one is like Kathryn.. Sorry!

July 17, 2014 @ 7:01 PM

Mike

Congrats enjoy your kids we will miss you ,you are the best sportscaster love your humour don't know how we are going to keep our leafs honest without your questions

July 21, 2014 @ 6:35 PM

Todd Liljedahl

In the huge world of broadcasting and personalities across North American, Kathryn Humphries always stands out! She is one of the most professional presenters/reporters with a subtle style of her own. I bet the people over at CTV/TSN have already made contact! For that matter, how I would love to see her at NBC (since I live in Minnesota). What a wonderful addition she would be to NHL coverage here in the states. Sorry Canada. Come on Rogers! Make this right, right now. With your expanded NHL coverage beginning this season, how can you not keep Kathryn a part of your team?

July 24, 2014 @ 11:12 AM

Anonymous

I, we all of us miss you Please try and come back

August 4, 2014 @ 6:10 PM

Johnny K

Congratulations!! Twins.. I know you will be kept busy Kathryn, but please come back to being a sportscaster. You are down to earth and you're the only reason I would watch City News. I agree with Ron, not hard on the eyes to watch. I hope someone like CTV gets you on board. You, alongside Lance Brown, would be the best sports casters in Toronto IMO. Best wishes.

August 6, 2014 @ 8:16 AM

Chris Christian

According to what I've read Kathryn is on maternity leave. She is such an awesome sports reporter and I really hope she comes back. Even though she calls the Yankees "bad guys", I like her anyway. Congratulations to you and your family, Kathryn. Hope we see you back for T-ball Tuesday et al. I guess it is proven you cannot be replaced.

August 16, 2014 @ 11:46 AM

AUDREY HENRY

I just foound out that Kathryn isn't around anymore - it certainly is a loss for CITY - I loved the way she kibittzed with Gord and the other anchors - why was she so special? Just a natural with that lovely smile - please bring her back - Haven't seen any of the replacements that can truly sit in Kathryn's seat -

August 21, 2014 @ 12:43 PM

Rob Walker

I am very sorry to see that Kathryn Humphreys is no longer on the air with the CITYNEWS, she was a real bright spot on the show and I loved her Tball series. Hopefulyshe will retrun after her mat leave. Most of the news people on CITY are very good but Kathryn really stood out, I miss you and wish you well

August 22, 2014 @ 10:03 AM

grahame

Kathryn is missed by our family. Her understated but quick sense of humour is second to none. Moreover, she is a knowledgeable and experienced sports caster. Hope she is reinstated after her maternity leave.

August 22, 2014 @ 6:14 PM

C.Beriault

Would love to see her come back, congratulations on you new additions hope they bring you lots of happiness

August 26, 2014 @ 6:48 PM

C.Bilodeau

Congrats to Kathryn and her husband on their new additions. I have been wondering for months what happened to her on City. Been watching and waiting to see why she is no longer on. I must have missed the announcement that she is on maternity leave. I really hope she returns. Nobody can replace her. Her personality and wit were so natural. I hope she comes back after maternity leave. The 6:00 news is not funny anymore without her.

August 29, 2014 @ 2:54 PM

Joanne & Peter Bolte

Kathryn, we are so happy for you and your husband. We also must of missed the announcement! Come on Rogers....Sports is not the same without her!!!

September 2, 2014 @ 6:03 PM

Alice

Kathryn is the best. miss her - we also didn't hear the announcement about Maternity Leave. T ball - haven't watched it since Kathryn gone. the one time I did, just not the same.
Congratulations on the Twins.

September 3, 2014 @ 9:26 PM

Eric

We need Kathryn and Hugh back together!

September 4, 2014 @ 11:36 PM

Gabriela

Please bring back Kathryn Humphreys, I'm agreed with many people, she really put that special touch to the sports at city tv , I don't know what is the real reason why she is not longer there, but please be smart don't let the good people go.

September 10, 2014 @ 12:49 AM

neilm

Kathryn H is very much missed on City TV sports, she makes sports reports so great to watch and listen too.Not to mention see is pretty easy on the eyes too.
Rogers and City need to get her back Pronto.

September 20, 2014 @ 3:11 PM

Glenn and Arden

What a Shame, they should have gotten rid of that Roger Guy!!! he's Brutallllllllllll

time to watch a different station

September 24, 2014 @ 12:00 AM

Carm

Having watched Kathryn for years , now she
is gone I no longer have a reason to watch
City TV.
My wife and I have always appreciated
Kathryn's professionalism and
sense of humour !
Congrats Kathryn , hope your back soon !

The "Twins" areSOOOO. LUCKYYY !

October 7, 2014 @ 6:43 PM

Monty

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?
She's on "mat" leave.

October 9, 2014 @ 8:21 AM

Donald and Sharon

Kathryn you are truly missed!
It will be along time before anyone has that wonderful sense
of humour that only you could bring each and every time. We would
like to wish you the very best in the future and hope to see you back again soon!

October 14, 2014 @ 7:08 PM

VJ

Kathryn was why i watched city sports. Great sense of humour n kmowledgeable!
Wondered who the lucky guy was. Hope City realizes how good she was n has her back. All the best

October 16, 2014 @ 7:02 PM

Seashell

Hey Kathryn, I sure hope you check in every so often and see all the love on this site sent your way. There's so many of us that hope to see you back at it again. Including me! We miss you and your brilliant sense of humour and keen eye on the games. So what's it gonna take? If its a case of money, I could start a KH Back at Bat Fund...Ive got ten bucks to start it too. lol anybody? Best wishes with your new little ones. Cheers.

October 17, 2014 @ 11:47 PM

Frank Deturse

Kathryn - I have been watch City T.V. since before Gord Martineau was on so you know that I am an ol..er man hahahaha
You are a breath of fresh air - why they would let you go is beyond me. You are super in your job - knowledgeable and most of all you make it serious yet fun when you do the sports comments. You are a beautiful lady - and wish you the best with your husband - and twins - good luck in the future
Will we see you on City again!!! i think that is quite a possiblity soon as that mmmmmmmm so and so boss is gone!!!! for good
Ciao
Frankie

October 31, 2014 @ 6:59 PM

Marilyn cashabeck

If city has let you go then so am I. Please update your statis. I am so upset and even living in Petrolia On we watch every night hoping to see you. Nobody does or knows sports as well as you do. Any idiot that woud. Let you go is a complete nut.

November 2, 2014 @ 8:48 PM

Marilyn cashabeck

May have had my email address wrong. Sorry.

November 2, 2014 @ 9:06 PM

Kevin Cato

City has become so corporate now that they forgot what got them to be loved by many. Katherine, I always love watching you on TV and when you do the sports I actually laugh. You are unique sports caster and I truly hope you are doing the mommy thing and with twin boys you are very busy.

November 3, 2014 @ 7:08 PM

BJ Hurley

Although I am not totally into sports, watching Kathryn delivery the story kept one in their seat waiting to hear her tales. Her candid and humorous style is what kept me watching City News Sports. I loved to watch her and the late Mark Dayly, especially in the summer months when they would do the T-Ball Tuesdays. Brought a smile to my face. She truly is a wonderful personality, and I miss her wit. Congratulations Kathryn with the birth of the twins. Family comes first, but hopefully we will see you back with your other family, your viewers!

November 12, 2014 @ 7:40 PM

catherine

I have been wondering what happened to Kathryn why she's suddenly not doing the news anymore with Roger at 11. I coudn't stand this new girl doing the news. Her voice is so annyoying, she sounds like a guy , looks very strong and sits like a stick...i just can't stand her...way uncomparable to kathryn who has the wit , great sense humor and looks sophisticated even if she just wears jeans n simple top...hope she will be back after her mat.

November 20, 2014 @ 11:48 PM

Kathy

Congrats , on the twin boys , all the best for you and the family. You take all the time you need enjoy . Happy times with the boys t ball hockey or whatever sport they choose to do yeah moma enjoy! Hope to see you on the boob tube , until then sports is not the same great jobbroadcacating.

December 6, 2014 @ 10:57 PM

Anonymous

Really miss you Kath

December 30, 2014 @ 8:12 AM

DIANNE

Seen you and your boys on City TV, they're as special as you are. Hope to see you soon, back
On TV.

January 9, 2015 @ 7:10 PM

Karen, the Pre-School Teacher

My response to Kathryn leaving City is to no longer watch! City TV is so arrogant to think they can get rid of skilled reporters like Kathryn and find replacements. When it comes to Kathryn, there is no replacement!!! She is exceptional in her knowledge of sports. I admired her so much, and loved T-ball Tuesdays. She is one of a kind. Miss you Kathryn.

January 12, 2015 @ 6:58 PM

Eilean

Congratulations Kathryn & Hubby! What wonderful news. Miss You on City TV. Enjoy those wonderful babies!

February 13, 2015 @ 6:48 PM

Wayne F.

Yesterday (Apr 6/15) my 92 year old mother asked, "what happened to that blond lady who covered sports on CITY TV" ?? She was promised, once the internet gets "restored" in the condo library, I'd try to find out. Today I learned Kathryn's on maternity leave attending to twin sons. On my mother's behalf (and mine as I also enjoyed Kathryn's razor like wit), Congratulations and please get back on air a.s.a.p. will ya !!!!

April 7, 2015 @ 1:45 PM

susan s

I miss Kathryn I sure hope she comes back to city tv sports she has such a personality, she is the best, please come back, you are so loved

April 23, 2015 @ 6:59 PM

Helen F

The best part of watching citynews was Katherine Humphries. I really miss her sense of humour and I hope she is coming back.

May 8, 2015 @ 11:53 PM

Jeannine G.

Congrats. To Katherine. I know one thing, I miss you girl. I always looked forward to watching you. Not much of a sport junky, but you sure made it easier to become one. Always lmao, I miss ya. Good luck with new endevors. Please come back. Sure not the same.

May 15, 2015 @ 7:15 AM

Kathryn Humphreys has announced she is leaving her job at CityNews and will stay home with her children.

May 27, 2015 @ 8:04 PM