In Praise of Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker

In Praise of Ubiquitous Synergy SeekerLike many of you, I first heard Ubiquitious Synergy Seeker when 102.1 started playing the mess out of "Hollowpoint Sniper Hyperbole" about six years ago. I loved that single, caught them live a few times and scored myself a copy of Welding the C:/.

I loved every track on Welding the C:/. This Parkdale-based duo rocks a sound that totally appeals to my sensibilities. It's this unique rap / rock / folk / electronica hybrid I can't seem to get enough of.

Questamation was great. Approved was great. And now I'm enjoying their new album, Advanced Basics. You likely heard "This is the Best" a million times on 102.1 or "Yin Yang" on the radio and TSN's NHL playoff coverage. Here's the official video for the extremely catch "Yin Yang".

I don't care whether it's cool to like USS or why they're not a bigger deal, all I know is that when I need to get my heart pumping and my feet pedalling, nothing does the trick faster than throwing on a tune from these guys.

Jason from Sudbury

I'm guessing I'm probably in the minority here but USS sucks.

May 19, 2014 @ 2:59 PM

markosaar

I'm with you Jason. Burned out on them when I gave Blundell a try during one of H&F's breaks.

May 19, 2014 @ 7:58 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - a few months ago, I got a very concerned look from an older lady as I was cruising up the 400 blaring This is The Best and rocking out in my car. Great song...solid beat.

USS are a band that I don't LOVE, but will never turn off if they come on. and yes, Welding the C:/ was a great album.

May 20, 2014 @ 10:45 AM

Doug

I really like their songs, but the radio stations seem to play the crap out of them.
Yin Yang has got to be one of the most repeated songs on 102.1 and 88.1 right now.

May 20, 2014 @ 6:02 PM

Andrew

I hate USS. I kind of liked Damini but was disappointed by everything that followed.

This is the Best was the song that closed the door on them for me. The lyrics to Yin Yang are ridiculous. I think if not or CanCon they wouldn't be this big.

But CanCon doesn't explain why 102 played the crap out of American band Passion Pit and that stupid Take a Walk song.

Music is a matter of taste but I have a strong feeling that anyone who likes USS or Passion Pit has been brainwashed and are wrong.

March 12, 2015 @ 10:15 AM

Don

This band totally sucks USS .... If I'm wrong about what I'm about to say please correct me . It sounds to me that these guys have a hand full of lyrics that keep appearing in most of the songs they write . They have a definite sound which ok the first couple of releases it makes you listen ..... But I hear one hit wonders that have just remixed a couple of half decent songs . Pathetic .... And that song by the other band Take a walk pure SHIT I have no clue how that got so much play .

January 24, 2017 @ 4:21 PM