Friday Open Mike

Open MikeWelcome to this week's Friday Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

this guest

Happy Birthday (tomorrow)
Bob Dylan.

Decades of appreciation.

May 23, 2014 @ 9:00 AM

Ryan G

Apparently there's going to be some kind of meteor shower tonight. I don't want anyone to get hurt, but here's hoping one smashes into MLB office headquarters. That way, baseball operations will be paralyzed, they'll have to call it a season, and therefore we'd be announced as world series champions since we're in first place in baseball's toughest division.

May 23, 2014 @ 9:41 AM

Gump

Totally unscientific, but driving through my neighbourhood I see a 10 to 1 ratio of Liberal signs vs. PC signs. Wynne is going to win in my riding, hands down. You'd think with all $1M+ dollar homes here it would skew differently, but there you go.

May 23, 2014 @ 9:54 AM

mrmojorisinca

Any one interested in next months World Cup of Soccer in Brazil?
also Pearl Jam is doing a fall tour, no Canadian dates though..

May 23, 2014 @ 10:03 AM

Ryan G

mrmojo

for another view on that topic, check out the Vice piece on Brazil's efforts to "pacify" Rio

May 23, 2014 @ 10:32 AM

markosaar

@Gump,

I noticed someone trashed all the PC signs near my office in Swansea.

May 23, 2014 @ 10:35 AM

Glen

I was reading a review by Jay Stone of the new Adam Sandler movie "Blended" in the National Post this morning. His opening sentence made me chuckle.

"I used to think there were two kinds of people in the world: people who don’t think Adam Sandler is funny and Adam Sandler"

I'm definitely in the former.

May 23, 2014 @ 10:45 AM

@markosaar

Is that the Parkdale / High Park riding? Put all your money on NDP there...

May 23, 2014 @ 10:53 AM

this guest

yeah I think Adam Sandler is best in small doses
like maybe a thimble
once every leap year
for two seconds

May 23, 2014 @ 11:34 AM

Ben Vidal

There was a chart floating around last year showing box office income for Adam Sandler movies. The ones with higher critical acclaim like Punch Drunk Love and Spanglish don't perform well at the box office. The dumber the movie he puts out, the better he does at the box office. Explain that one. I will say Adam Sandler isn't nearly as bad as Kevin James. Paul Blart Mall Cop says it all.

@mrmojorisinca: I'm going to be at the World Cup next month. Lately some scary articles coming out of Brazil, but I take it all with a grain of salt. Same type or articles out about the world cup in South Africa and the last euro in Poland and Ukraine. Doesn't mean I'm going to walk around flashing my wallet, but I still think it's going to be a great time.

The latest pearl jam announcement was quite disheartening. I was eagerly anticipating a Canadian date(s). Not sure why they've been avoiding Toronto area lately. The bud gardens show last year doesn't count as that was a one off show.

May 23, 2014 @ 11:50 AM

Wayner

Adam Sandler's too successful making Friday night date movie nonsense. At this point he will never be able to make another Punch Drunk Love and Spanglish type film as he won’t be taken seriously.

Did we really need a Grown-ups 2?

May 23, 2014 @ 12:24 PM

519 Rob

I'm almost willing to give the new Sandler movie a chance, since it has Drew Barrymore in it.
Wedding Singer and 50 first dates were both funny, and had some heart to them.
But I'll admit the previews for Blended just don't look that funny.

May 23, 2014 @ 1:15 PM

On Tuesday I went for a bike ride at lunch. 16 km into my ride, my rear tire blew. It was then that I realized I didn't have anything on me... no cash, no credit card, no ID.

When I ran, I always had a $5 bill in my sock. This was in case I went too far and needed a drink or snack or something. As a cyclist, I wasn't following my own rule. I was within walking distance from Gears at Port Credit, but I didn't even have money for a new tube.

So if you're doing long rides (or runs), always have cash on you. I now keep a $20 bill in my pocket when going out on a ride.

By the way, I fixed the tire and went for a 34 km ride after work. I had $20 on me, just in case.

May 23, 2014 @ 1:49 PM

mrmojorisinca

I mentioned PJ..and I was at all of those Shows as well :)
only missed CNE in 1996 for Toronto shows.

May 23, 2014 @ 1:55 PM

this guest

come to think of it I got a kick out of Adam Sandler
in that golf film

I was basing my 'thimble' thought on his hanukkah song
which everyone seemed to think was comedy gold

those are my two Adam Sandler experiences

May 23, 2014 @ 3:51 PM

markosaar

@Toronto Mike,

I keep an under-seat bag with tire levers, spare tube, CO2 inflater and a multitool. I generally have a credit card on me, but I make a point of taking a subway token too.

You could forego the tube and take a patch kit, but I find they're a bit finnicky. They do work well, but I'd rather just patch the busted tube at home.

The CO2 inflater is generally far superior to a hand-pump. Very few hand-pumps are even capable of inflating road tires to okay pressure. The inflater is a bit finnicky too though, and the air needs to be replaced when you get home as it'll bleed out over 24 hours.

May 23, 2014 @ 5:44 PM

markosaar

Sidenote, you can buy puncture resistant commuter tires. I have Gatorskins but they seem to have fallen out of favour lately with apparently-superior options from other brands. That said I've never had a puncture with 4000+ KM on them.

My other bike has cheap, off-brand puncture-resistant tires and I've had a screw, nail, and a thick staple puncture them.

May 23, 2014 @ 5:47 PM

Cheryl

How about those Habs. They won. Well, seems like no home team is winning, just road teams. Well, we win on Sunday to tie it up. Then Rangers win game 5, Habs win game 6 and 7. There you have it. It will go seven games. Hockey is still on for a long time.

May 23, 2014 @ 5:58 PM

Stephanie

I got a Tesla this week. I love it. I will still hang onto my 100litre, $150 per-fill Q7, but am relishing in the all-electric world.

May 23, 2014 @ 9:23 PM

twins from bolton

My son was at the BJay's game tonight & called me just before the game ended saying he caught a foul ball in the game (his 3rd game ball in last 3 years).

He said "there was an older lady wearing a Jays jersey that was sitting behind me & said she was so happy I caught the ball in front of her. He then gave the lady the ball & said it's yours as it was going towards you she was so thankful she wanted to give me $ & I said no, so she bought me & my freind a beer each instead".

May 23, 2014 @ 10:31 PM

Speysidephil

@Twins

Outstanding story.
Good for your son.

May 23, 2014 @ 10:44 PM

Lorne

@twins: I sped read your post, and somehow got it in my mind your son was 3 years old.

Given that context, your story went from incredibly cute to incredibly horrifying =)

May 24, 2014 @ 12:21 AM

markosaar

Saw Malhavoc tonight. Anyone remember them? Or Jimi LaMort? Been a bit of a fixture on the Toronto music scene for 20+ years.

May 24, 2014 @ 12:46 AM

Chico Escuela

The Blue Jays are in first place 5 games over 500.15 of their next 18 games are at Skydome.Starting Monday they play 7 games against Tampa and K C both teams going south fast.If they can go 5-2 next week and go 12-6 over the next 18 games they will be in fantastic shape.Be early to get your seats on the bandwagon.
Bassball bean berry berry good to me!

May 24, 2014 @ 4:58 AM

J9

Definitely looking forward to World Cup Soccer!

And Sept. 2015…World Cup Rugby in England. Still wondering if hubby and I will fly out for a couple of games.

May 24, 2014 @ 8:50 AM

Cheryl

All this baseball talk. Hockey is still on though. We still have the Habs. They'll be in the finals with the Kings, trust me. Anyway, baseball makes me go to sleep. Hockey is better any day.

May 24, 2014 @ 10:40 AM

markosaar

Figured out finally why my bicycle felt "wrong"

May 24, 2014 @ 11:16 AM

twins from bolton

@ Lorne

Twins are 22 years old.

Ironically when they both played Rep BBall in Bolton years ago (they were born in 1991) - Chris wore #19 & Andrew wore #91. A decision they both made & very few people got it.

May 24, 2014 @ 2:56 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Congrats Stephanie, my boss is looking at one, as his Hybrid Camry is ready for a trade in.. One guy in our office complex has one, and a colleague in California bought one the first year they came out. I'll stick with my Prius as I don't think there will be many recharge stations in Timmins or Kirkland Lake soon.
There is a recharge station at the Tim Hortons on Wyecroft, usually the mangers Leaf is plugged into it, but it does take VISA/MC.

I am going to bend into the Liberal/PC debate just a little. Wynne (and the Liberals) are not ready to make the real difficult decisions to make the deficit and the debt go away, which they have brought to a new healthy level. Baby boomers are at the end of the purchasing days, and looking at retirement and income preservation. Spending will be flat from the GenX and Y and Millenials. They don't have the incomes and purchasing power the Boomers had to pull the economy along, and some are saddle with education debt that was probably my mortgage in the late 80's.
Last years interest only payments were in the 10-12 billion range, not even touching the principal on the +$275 billion owed. Growth is stagnant, inflation is outpacing wage increases, don't see how in 25 years the debt will be paid without 25-30 % or more of revenues going to pay for it.

May 24, 2014 @ 3:46 PM

Cheryl

Well, Habs win tonight to make it even. I told you Habs and Kings to the finals with the Habs winning the cup. I'm not going to be wrong again. Then after that, it's boring baseball and that's it until my Cardinals start playing football. Hopefully they will win the superbowl. Then hockey starts back in October. Maybe next season my Habs and Coyotes both make the playoffs.

May 25, 2014 @ 7:55 AM

this guest

nobody is going to make the debt go away
it's either this or that group benefitting
the super rich, the poor, the middle (shrinking) class,
nobody is going to make it go away
we can barely comprehend disappearing bees

May 25, 2014 @ 8:10 AM

Corey

The Jays are looking like the team we were promised last season. Everything is coming together at the right time, and they're acting like a team and having fun. They will be in the running for the AL East title in the fall. Book it.

May 25, 2014 @ 8:26 AM

this guest

Hudak is going to get government off the backs of small businesses
but says nothing about Harper's new internet marketing laws which
strangle small businesses.

All hokum. All smoke and mirrors.

As real as the mist above the Walkerton cemetery.

May 25, 2014 @ 12:42 PM

Liz

I completely love Spirit of Radio Sunday with Scot Turner - he does a spectacular job. It's my only appointment terrestrial radio - helps me be super productive around the house on Sunday afternoons. I'd love to know what the numbers look like.

@markosaar

I think somewhere you mentioned about 'the kids' pissing and moaning on 102.1's Facebook page - ha ha. I can just imagine.

@stephanie

Congratulations on your new wheels! Pretty cool and definitely exciting. Good for you.

@Rick C

Your second paragraph is spot on. You hit all the salient points. And, you're right.

Have a great week, everyone!

May 25, 2014 @ 4:26 PM

Cheryl

Well, Habs lost. Well, I was wrong, but guess what. They will win because they are going to win three games and win the series. I'm definitely going to be right. Habs will win. It will be a ways until there's just boring baseball. Habs are going to win the cup over the Kings.

May 26, 2014 @ 6:41 AM

this guest

I hope you're right Cheryl.
But I think N.Y. has about a 10% 'better' edge on the Habs.

May 26, 2014 @ 8:34 AM

Mike from Lowville

I hope you're right too Cheryl. The Habs should have had that last one.(game 4) Just the way the puck bounces....and it was doing alot of that!

May 26, 2014 @ 5:49 PM