Door-to-Door Unsolicitation

Door-to-Door UnsolicitationSince I've moved into the new home, I've had plenty of unsolicited visitors.

Last week, a nice young gentleman was in the area aerating lawns. He offered me a great discount. I declined.

An even younger fellow wanted to see my Rogers bill to tell me how much I'd save with Bell Fibe. He had a special offer, apparently. When pressed for specifics, his prices were actually higher than I was paying now.

Usually my unsolicited visits are from people very interested in my furnace room. "It'll show up on your Enbridge bill", they tell me. They're hawking everything from a new energy efficient furnace to hot water heaters. Again, I decline them all.

I likely notice the unsolicited visitors more now than ever because I work at home and am around to answer the door. The fact is, they could be offering me lawn aeration, digital cable and a new furnace for free and I'd still decline. That's my rule. I'll always say no, no matter how compelling the deal.

When I'm in the market, don't call me... I'll call you.

markosaar

I visited my parents yesterday. The Bell Fibe guys had just been around and my dad said, "oh my son will be here shortly and can help advise, please come back". They assured him they would, but never showed.

Bell has a special place in hell for me because they abjectly lied to my dad years ago to get him off a grandfathered unlimited internet plan. (They dumped Bell for Teksavvy once they discovered what had happened.) They're still on Bell for a land-line, but are getting ripped off on that too and looking to change after the Fibe fuckers showed up and looked at their bill.

May 19, 2014 @ 12:58 PM

Liz

@Markosaar

Most of those Bell pricks are fuckers, to be sure. But today, I had a great Bell experience. I hugged the Bell guy for bringing me the unparalleled joy of WiFi once again. He's on leave from the military and blew my mind with his tales. So he's not truly a Bell fucker - just a good guy on leave from special ops.

We get the people who want to examine our hydro bills. I tell them unless they are going to pay said bill, they can kiss my ass.

You should see me in action when the Jehovah Witness lunatics knock on my door. Once I'm finished with them, I tell them to put me back on that little known list where they leave you alone for a year.

What a fucking world we live in.

May 19, 2014 @ 1:07 PM

felix

I feel the same way as you do, Mike. I've had Direct Energy come by wanting to see my gas & power bill, someone selling a smart home security system and Girl Scouts in the last month. I did cave on the cookies, though.

May 19, 2014 @ 1:28 PM

twins from bolton

Many solicitations door to door in Bolton. I got hooked into buying a new energy efficient water heater last year & actually I needed a new one anyway & after gave me the price I said NO. I didn't sign anything yet & then they called their supervisor to speak to him which I did. 20 minutes later, 3 months free rental & at a lower cost than what I was paying (should have been $10.00/month more).

Jehovah W's came to my door 5-6 years ago on a Sunday while I was cleaning 2nd floor windows on a ladder. Mom, Dad & Kid sheepishly said why are you working on the Sabbath as it's a day of rest & reflection on religion. I told them aren't you working & they said no just trying to spread the word of the Bible. I then told them my Sabbath was yesterday (Sat.) & said I was Jewish (who JW'S hate) & they left immediately after I said "Shalom". Haven't heard from them since as I figure I'm blackballed.

May 19, 2014 @ 1:36 PM

Gary

Unless I know the person, I do not even answer the door anymore.

May 19, 2014 @ 1:56 PM

Lorne

Good rule: if someone is selling something door to door, it's a scam. If it isn't a scam, it's a rip-off. If it isn't a rip-off, it's a scam. Repeat.

Door to door marketing doesn't work anymore. Period. It's way too costly and with way too low a success rate to be profitable for any legitimate company. So they don't. But scammers and rip-off artists still do, because they aren't looking for a large profit. They're looking to scam and rip-off people. And since they're the majority, legitimate companies ESPECIALLY won't do door-to-door, because they know they'll just be treated like scammers and rip-off artists.

So if someone is knocking on your door, it's because they want to steal from you or rip you off. There's no middle ground. Ignore them, or just say no. In some towns, it's actually illegal. Remind them of that.

There was even a recent Marketplace episode about this: Knock It Off. They got a door to door "expert" to tell them the techniques he uses to sell door to door. They all boil down to "lie". No, I'm dead serious. Go watch that episode. He uses flowery terms like "I'll be vague and let them fill in the details", or "will pretend that a neighbour already bought from me to build their trust", or "Will ask an open question that can be answered multiple ways, and no matter which way someone answers, will tell them that's correct and they need my product", to "try to subliminally manipulate people by nodding my head to make them agree with me".

In other words, even the most above-the-board "legitimate" door to door guy is saying all they do is lie to get you to buy something you don't want or need. Lie straight to your face. That's what I mean by the best of them are rip off artists. Selling you junk or overpriced merchandise. The scammers do the same thing, but either don't deliver products or sign you up for quasi illegal things (like water heater insurance).

So always remember: that person at your door is a predator lying to your face to steal you money. Treat them as such.

May 19, 2014 @ 3:09 PM

McNulty

Bell Fibe came to my door. I almost bought it but when I talked to the people on the phone the price was $75 a month more than what the guy at the door said.
I declined.

I had the energy retailer come and without sounding like an ass, I know a lot more about the energy market than he did. It's always always always a rip off.
I defined.

I don't get the JWs. But those stories are usually exaggerated. But whatever, I'm on the list not to be called on. Yay for divorcing the daughter of JWs!

May 19, 2014 @ 3:55 PM

this guest

I always buy the girl scout cookies and don't even want to eat them.

May 19, 2014 @ 4:12 PM

this guest

sugary crap but a good cause I guess. why can't they sell organic.

May 19, 2014 @ 4:13 PM

Lorne

Okay, I guess the girl guides are an exception. At least it's all straight up.
"Yo, you want to buy a $5 box of cookies?"
How much are they?
"$5"
What do I get for $5?
"A box of cookies"
What's in the box of cookies?
"Cookies."
And what else?
"Nothing else."
What else will I owe you?
"Nothing."
Any other commitments?
"None."
Will you sell my personal information?
"I don't even want your personal information. Just $5."
How much is the $5 box of cookies if I order it elsewhere?
"$5."
And will other girl scouts give me more or fewer cookies in the box?
"Exactly the same amount."
Can I read the contract and run it by my lawyer for fine print?
"No paperwork. Just $5."

...

The only hitch is that if you know more than 3 people, then you know someone with a Girl Scout in the family, and they'll be selling the cookies. You're more likely to buy from them than a door to door.

May 19, 2014 @ 7:49 PM

Cambo

True story. I had a sign on our door saying "No agents, peddlers or solicitors." Gentleman comes to the door selling water heaters, I pointed to the sign on my door.

He said "but, I'm not a solicitor."

Door closes on his face.

May 19, 2014 @ 7:57 PM

I suppose the Girl Guide cookies are an exemption.

I once had a visit from a lovely young woman who merely wanted to make me aware of Bullfrog Power. She wasn't selling me anything, just wanted to educate me. I actually knew quite a bit because of of all the Tragically Hip concerts I've been to.

May 19, 2014 @ 8:28 PM

McNulty

Bullfrog Power is bullshit. Trust me.

May 19, 2014 @ 8:44 PM

@McNulty

Explain further...

May 19, 2014 @ 8:52 PM

Blind Dave

We don't answer the door unless we know who is there. It's easy to tell too. Anyone who knows us comes to the side door. If you knock on the front door, you don't know us.

May 19, 2014 @ 8:59 PM

Aurora Bob

I refuse most people at the door. I did take up a young man on Friday to areate the lawn as it was in dire need of it. For $45 I cannot go out and rent the machine and do it myself. He left a little sign on the lawn that I quickly removed.

As far as the water heater scammers... show them the closed door without discussion.

J Witnesses, they do list homes not to go to. Ask them in and ask them if they would like to hear about your devil worship or witchcraft. They leave soon. You can also tell them you are on your way out to give blood. They hate that.

I have recently installed Fibe. I was a Rogers cable subscriber but Bell xDSL, home phone and cell. Since going with Fibe I am now running at 22MB/s internet (instead of 5MB/s); much clearer TV with 2 wireless boxes in addition to the wired; and doing it all for less than I paid Rogers/Bell before. This was not a knock on the door, I was looking to get out from under the Roger tyranny for a while. They actually called me and we did not pay for instalation (a 4 hour job) nor any upfront fees.

May 19, 2014 @ 9:44 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Anyone ever deal with Just Energy? They came to my door about 2 years ago basically telling me that they can get me cheaper hydro, and how you're only paying one flat rate per kilowatt, instead of the fluctuating rates, prime time, bla, bla, bla. I passed on it cause at the time I was only in a little 1 bedroom apartment and was only paying for hydro, building I was living in had gas heat so it was included in my rent.

May 19, 2014 @ 10:01 PM

Net Neutrality

Supporting Rogers or Bell Fibe simply supports the end of Net Neutrality. You're a idiot Aurora Bob. Fuck you

May 19, 2014 @ 10:20 PM

this guest

net neutrality possibly you could retool your public education
'outreach'

having said that yes it's a crisis situation

May 19, 2014 @ 11:02 PM

markosaar

@Net Neutrality,

I agree, but harsh. Most people don't know better. The net neutrality lobby needs to do a better job.

Also a lot of people don't have better options. Even if you go with a company like Teksavvy, you're then subject to Rogers or Bell fucking you over out of spite.

May 19, 2014 @ 11:22 PM

this guest

@markosaar

can bell or rogers nail you
in any way
assuming
you don't have a contract

May 20, 2014 @ 12:16 AM

Cambo

....and this thread has gone off the rails into a completely different debate.

May 20, 2014 @ 7:52 AM

markosaar

@this guest,

The problem is that Bell & Rogers control "the last mile" of lines to your home. So even though you may use the network and infrastructure of an alternative ISP, the last part is always controlled by Bell or Rogers as no one else has permission to bury lines or put up telephone poles.

So when something goes wrong with that part, you're dependent on Bell or Rogers to repair it. I don't know whether it's incompetence or malice but they always take as long as possible, often longer than the CRTC-mandated time permitted.

May 20, 2014 @ 8:51 AM

Argie

"I'm lucky as hell with fibre to my door from an indie ISP. 30/30 unlimited for $43 a month. First world internet. But most people don't get that opportunity."

Mark- Who is your ISP?

May 20, 2014 @ 10:58 AM

markosaar

@Argie,

You need to live an apartment building or condo that they can hook their network up to. They operate all over Toronto and surrounding areas.

Bell and Rogers sometimes sign exclusivity agreements with building management to prevent companies like this from getting in. Coextro does offer all kinds of incentives to the building to try to sweeten the deal -- sign-up bonuses, free wifi in common areas, free security cameras, etc. Also the person that brokers the deal between them and management gets free internet as long as they live there.

May 20, 2014 @ 11:31 AM

Anonymous

Bullfrog Power is trying to make a profit. They charge you more to put "green energy" on the grid.

This is not happening in Ontario. Paying Bullfrog does not add renewable energy to our grid at all.

In Ontario you consumer whatever is generated. Last year almost 60% was Nuclear, 22% was hydro, 12% was gas, 2% was coal and 3% was wind. Your Bullfrog agreement does not change those numbers.

May 20, 2014 @ 1:16 PM

Lorne

Bullfrog Power: "The color green makes you feel good about yourself by talking a lot but not actually doing anything. We support your smug self-satisfaction, and will gladly allow you to pay us for it. All you have to do is sign a contract to pay us more than the market rate for the exact same electricity you are already getting from Ontario Hydro. In exchange for paying us to do absolutely nothing, you get to brag to your friends about how 'green' you are. You can even give them propaganda-- I mean our pamphlets-- so you can take on the burden of our marketing costs.

ACT NOW: For only a small (large) extra nominal fee, we'll also send you a dinky sticker to put on your window... a sticker mass manufactured by slave labor in China and delivered by massive-carbon-footprint cargo boat."

May 20, 2014 @ 10:30 PM

Gump

I was in a meeting with the CEO of AT&T. He basically said Net neutrality is dead, it is just a matter of time. Netflix's deal with Comcast is just the beginning.
Tell me again why my fees should support the torrents?

May 20, 2014 @ 11:15 PM

DUTCH

I am a licensed gas tech big chevy van with ladders on the roof in the drive company name on the truck. I own my WH and furnace they still knock on the door and get a faceful each time. The best was today I am on nites doorbell wakes me up 6ish not happy! 2 Bell dudes peddling fibe TV, guess what I already have their package phone, internet and cable around 210 a month way overpriced and not for much longer. Needless to say they hightailed it of the property after a good blast. Took the one guys pic with my phone gonna post it on the FB. Time for bed.

May 21, 2014 @ 3:22 AM

markosaar

@Gump,

Because bandwidth congestion is a myth, specifically total usage is not the same thing as congestion.

The ISPs pushed high-speed on everyone with no caps, then realised a missed profit opportunity and have been furiously back-pedalling ever since using all kinds of nasty tactics.

Funny how smaller ISPs have no trouble charging less for better service with no caps, all while catering to these "hogs".

May 21, 2014 @ 8:38 AM

Michael Z.

Those scum suckers with their "energy efficient furnace" scam love to target seniors. My 84 year old mother whose native tongue is italian, was suckered into some "deal" that added an extra $34/month onto her Enbridge bill. I called both Enbridge and the scum sucker company to cancel, and gave the company a piece of my mind for targeting her in the first place. Sadly they're probably making tons of cash off people who don't care to check their bills once they get signed up to this.

May 21, 2014 @ 10:45 AM

Roshan

Since we moved to an apartment back in 2006 - hardly any solicitations. The security guard downstairs stops people who look like they are marketing stuff and he asks who they want to see and why.

May 22, 2014 @ 11:15 AM

Douglas

I'm actually in Montreal, but was looking up the legality of door-to-door sales by Bell. Last night a rep showed up, the third one in as many months. Each time I got more annoyed. I pointed to the sign on the door, "no solicitations". The guy told me my sign was illegal, and I wasn't allowed to stop anyone from giving me information. He said anyone could knock on my door. I told him he was insane and was breaking the law. He said he wouldn't come back, because that would be harassment, but he said another rep definitely would. It's pretty clear Bell sales is encouraging their door-to-door people to ring even when a sign tells them not to. I'd love to get a class action against them for it ...

September 8, 2014 @ 1:19 PM

Helmut Boeck

Last week a Bell sales guy came to the door and rang the doorbell...I pointed him to the "no solicitation" sign...he answered : "I don't know how to read".

September 12, 2016 @ 3:40 PM