Do You Believe in an Afterlife?

Do You Believe in an Afterlife?Do you believe that after you die you'll continue on in an afterlife of some sorts, call it heaven or otherwise?

Please let me know in the comments.

markosaar

I'll cross that bridge when I get to it ;)

I'm not a spiritual or religious person, so I assume we just cease to exist. I can't comprehend what it's like for my consciousness to just vanish however.

May 15, 2014 @ 9:12 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

No afterlife. This is the only existence we'll know so don't waste it planning for the next one. If you're being a good person so you'll get your reward in the "next" life, you're being a good person for the wrong reasons. I do believe in the "do onto others" credo but I am not looking for a payoff at the end.

May 15, 2014 @ 9:16 AM

Roshan

I don't. There's no evidence for it so I don't believe in it. Do I wish there was one - Yes I do but not the kind that most people believe in which is the religious side of it. I'm not religious either but there could be an afterlife and it could have nothing to do with the gods. It would be nice but I assume we just cease to exist and there's no point in dwelling on it like Markosaar says - cause I can't change it!

May 15, 2014 @ 9:16 AM

Colleen

I like the idea of an afterlife, but the practical and scientific side of me just can't believe in a Heaven or similar "place" we go. I do think that when we die, our energy/soul/spirit (whatever you want to call that thing that makes us, us) gets transferred to the world around us and that energy lives on through every other living thing on the planet. Not reincarnation necessarily but something along those lines...

May 15, 2014 @ 9:20 AM

this guest

I think something exists in other dimensions that 'we' will experience
either as a personalized identity, or personalized for a period of
'time' (whatever time is outside of time), or simply as energy.

What were we before this stage? Something in two other bodies,
always in flux, coincidentally meeting at one moment to produce
our life. Whatever it is it will be amazing.

May 15, 2014 @ 9:36 AM

mrmojorisinca

I have the same thoughts as Colleen..
Be good because you want to be good and have a good effect on the people and world around you not because you think you'll be saved from a burning inferno.

Although if that is why you strive to be good, then that is alright by me to, we need to respect the everyone as individuals.

It's all right, I've got my own way to believe :)

May 15, 2014 @ 9:54 AM

Ryan G

Yes. I believe in a gigantic white man in a toga who lives in the clouds. I believe that same man (again, who is white) selects people he deems worthy into the afterlife, provided they follow a certain set of rules...his rules. That man will deny access to a fantastic place called heaven to a kind, generous person because he or she hasn't subscribed to his rules. But he'll allow another person in who murdered and stole and cheated and lied, all because that person converted to his rules at the last minute.

That same man will allow thousands of innocent people to die in mining accidents, floods and tornadoes, and even helpless newborn babies in hospitals who haven't even had a chance to do anything, wrong or right. And with all these millions of catastrophic worldwide events going on at the same time, that man will still have the time to intervene to allow a rapper to win a Grammy and a football player to make a game-winning catch..you know..the important stuff.

But here's what I really believe in. I believe in fear. I believe that fear is as old as time itself, which is the catalyst for mythology and lore. This mythology is the antidote to the fear..the magic bean..the golden goose.. the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

When I was a child I believed in those nice stories, but I'm all grown up now.

May 15, 2014 @ 9:54 AM

GUNTer

No i dont. I attended church regularly as a child, and even then i did not believe, but i liked church because you could play with kids (and get a chocolate bar for remembering verses)!

I understand that it brings alot of people some comfort, but frankly it boggles my mind.

May 15, 2014 @ 10:03 AM

Ryan

Nope. There is nothing that makes an ounce of sense to it. I believe in what I can make sense of. I would love to believe in Heaven.... I sure did for 20+ years of my life. But death is death imho. You don't exist before you are born, you stop existing after you die. Enjoy the time in the middle.

May 15, 2014 @ 10:06 AM

Sammi

Just because it doesn't make sense, doesn't mean it isn't there. We are limited to what we know.

I wrote this on Mike's blog a while ago and kept it. I think it is worthy of repeating....

"The most interesting people are the ones that will at least listen to possibilities or stretch their minds to realize that there may be many things that we just don't understand or don't have the capacity to understand."

May 15, 2014 @ 10:12 AM

Ryan G

I agree with you Sammi, which is why I consider myself agnostic rather than atheist. There are some things we just don't know or can't know, but I do feel fairly confident a magical place in the sky just ain't in the cards for us.

May 15, 2014 @ 10:34 AM

Elba

Yes indeed I do. Similar to Colleen's beliefs.

May 15, 2014 @ 10:49 AM

this guest

Ryan you would appreciate D.H. Lawrence's book
concerning the Book of Revelations.

Lacerating to say the least.

May 15, 2014 @ 11:12 AM

Gump

No. When it is over, it's over!
If it was so, wouldn't all "life" be preserved, including animals, worms, microbes, bacteria?

May 15, 2014 @ 11:50 AM

Aurora Bob

Where did you exist before you were born? No where. Where do you exist when you die? No where.

May 15, 2014 @ 11:53 AM

this guest

stomping tom is a rainbow
tim horton a cloud
mama cass the westerly wind
joseph goebbels: in the holding pen

May 15, 2014 @ 12:53 PM

Tim

I am a Christian so keep in mind that my comments are influenced by my faith. I truly believe in an afterlife. As my Mother lay dying of cancer ,I prayed to my grandmother to come to earth and guide her soul into heaven. The night before my Mom passed, I awoke to a vision of my grandmother, in my bedroom standing over me. I told my mother what I had seen and that night she peacefully passed being guided to the afterlife by my Grandmother.

May 15, 2014 @ 4:56 PM

elvis

Dust in the wind.

May 15, 2014 @ 7:23 PM

James Edgar

No . Possible? Maybe Probable ? Not so much IMHO. Certainly not the Judeo Christian one from the bible.

May 15, 2014 @ 7:40 PM

Argie

The definition of faith is: strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof

Essentially, I hope and "believe" there's an afterlife but I lack any proof of it. I only have faith and belief.

May 15, 2014 @ 7:51 PM

Corey

Nope. Don't believe it. Forget the "afterlife". What about eternal life here on Earth? People like Ray Kurzweil firmly believe that medical advances in pharmacology and nano-technology will extend the human lifespan to several hundreds of years. More radical ideas include uploading your consciousness into a virtual world that could last forever. Maybe the more interesting question is, would you really want to live forever?

May 15, 2014 @ 8:39 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Nope, I believe only on earth do we exist. I think it was invented by religions to try and keep the citizenry law abiding or they would go to hell.

Kind of creepy to think a spirit is watching you on the john or in other intimate moments.

May 15, 2014 @ 9:19 PM

Blind Dave

Interesting topic. I am not religious whatsoever but I am spiritual in that I do believe in higher powers. Not exactly a god or God, but something is there that we are not permitted to understand.

I do believe in reincarnation and I do believe in ghosts (I live with a ghost/spirit.

It's fascinating because I am a very logical person and don't buy into something unless I can see it or it can be proven with hard facts.

My wife can see energy around people. It's quite the gift.

I do, however, really like and believe in Colleen's comments about passing energy being around us. I just happeno ink i goes a step farther.

One day I'll find out, and hopefully my Dad and a couple of cats & dogs are waiting for me.

May 15, 2014 @ 11:15 PM

Blind Dave

@Toronto Mike

Forgot to ask. Why did you ask? And you are noticeably silent...

May 15, 2014 @ 11:16 PM

Cambo

Nope. I used to, however seeing children die of cancers and diseases changed my belief.

If I, as a father, had the power to save my children from these things, I would do everything in my power to save them at any time. However those who believe in god shrug their shoulders and say it's part of some master plan if he doesn't cure them. Who's "master plan" allows children to die???

If I don't feed my children, they starve and I go to jail for neglect. Children starve to death in other countries every day. Why is god not feeding them? Again, the Christian response is to shrug shoulders and say it's part of some 'master plan'.

The one thing 'faith/religion' has done for this world is start more wars than one can count.

May 16, 2014 @ 8:15 AM

@Blind Dave

I asked because I'm curious how many believe in an afterlife.

This was prompted by two recent events.

1. I recently lost a friend. I remain his Facebook friend, and his Facebook remains active. People continue to tag him in pictures and write on his wall. During the Raptors games, I'd see people write to him as if he was reading saying things like "I know you'll be watching". This always made me sad, because it's such a nice thought and I don't believe it for a second. I don't believe my friend was watching the Raptors.

2. Yesterday morning, i saw Rick Hodge retweet something about 82% of people believing in an afterlife. That prompted the question to the hivemind.

I believe when I die, I will cease to exist in that it will be exactly like it was before I was born. I'll be nothing. I won't even use the term "rest in peace" because there's no resting and there's no peace. There is nothing, and no awareness of this nothing.

May 16, 2014 @ 8:58 AM

Blind Dave

@Toronto Mike

Ok, so when we both give up the ghost...

If I am right you owe me the afterlife version of dinner and a drink.

If you are right, I owe you the same. Oh, wait...

May 16, 2014 @ 1:49 PM

Rick2

No.. we are all part of earth's big recycling program..

May 16, 2014 @ 6:56 PM

this guest

I love this guys art and wish I had the
stamina to read his 'out there' poetry
but
when William Blake was a boy
he apparently saw angels in trees

I was talking to somebody's child once
and noticed he was looking 'around' me'
not just directly at me
and I asked the parents does he see 'auras'
or 'energies' around people
and they said oh yes he does.

just thoughts about the 'more' we are surrounded
by

May 17, 2014 @ 7:01 AM

Liz

@Ryan G

I love your post. Nicely done.

I wholeheartedly believe religion is a false construct where otherwise intelligent people believe in fanciful notions. There's no possible way there's an afterlife. Just.Not.Possible. You're born, you live and then you die. It's hard to lose people you love. In emotionally charged situations like that the crazy religious people spout their nonsense and colossal fucking bullshit. I really deplore religion - just in case I wasn't clear.

May 19, 2014 @ 12:59 PM

Javed Jafri

Very interesting topic and I have to say I'm mostly with Mike on this one. This can be a very controversial topic once we start to speak about religion but I'll say no more but since we don't know how life took hold I'll assign myself as "agnostic".

May 21, 2014 @ 9:55 AM

eyeswideopen

didn't used to believe in heaven or the afterlife... then out of the blue I had a God moment and knew it was all for real. Started to explore the oldest History book ever written, the Bible (a modern version without all those "thee and thou" stuff. ) Look at the marvels of life, birth, how intricately perfect a new born baby is, the beauty of a sun rise, a sun set, the beauty of the seasons, the sky, the stars,our human emotions and capabilities, it takes more imagination to believe this all just "happened" than it does to believe the carefully recorded details contained in the Bible that we were created by God and if we believe, we are promised a life after death on this earth in a wonderful place called "heaven".
I hope your friend who passed away believed in God. If he did you don't have to worry, he's in a great place with no more illness, sorrow, tears..thats the promise we have as believers. Is he watching the Raptors?? who the heck knows? that's one of the mysteries we wont know til we get there. This earth is just a stop over for us. "what the caterpillar seen as the end of life, the butterfly knows as just the beginning"

May 30, 2014 @ 11:57 PM

Dr. John B. Muciaccia

I do believe in the afterlife and have had experiences with Spirit. I have written about my experiences and those of other "regular" people who shared their amazing stories in my book, Spirit Lives! if anyone would like to check it out.

Dr. John