Bike With Mike: Waterfront Trail

Bike With Mike: Waterfront TrailI went for a nice long ride along the Waterfront Trail, making my way to downtown Oakville before heading back.

Here's a taste of my journey on the Waterfront Trail in the west end, starting in Long Branch and ending at Port Credit.

Douglas

Having lived, over the years, from Hamilton (while at McMaster U.) to Ajax, I have cycled nearly all of the Waterfront Trail from Stoney Creek to Darlington Provincial Park. There are a few gaps to fill in, and I want to, so that I have that "accomplishment". When I lived in Oakville, a very good friend of mine and I were planning to have his wife drive us into Niagara with their van and we were going to cycle back. I moved and they moved, etc. I'm going to get it done, somehow, some way, some day.

May 27, 2014 @ 10:42 AM

James Edgar

Is that Go Pro Camera? Your pace is looking fast!

WOW bit of a Nostalgia trip for me! I grew up at Strathy and lakeshore, about 200 meters from where the bike trail turned south on Hydro road. That part of the trail is new , the last time i biked out there the Generating station was still standing.

Marie Curtis park was a favourite destination as a kid,i think i rode through there when the bike path was first paved too.

At 2:40 on the left you can see the remains of the Ranges that used to be there. They were part of Canadian Arsenals Ltd My mom and her twin sister made .303 rifles there during the war. We used to hang out and party there as teenagers. Long before there were paths.

at 4:10 my elementary school was across lakeshore road on the right. Lakeview Park.

At 5:20 where the construction was is where the Creek passed under lakeshore rd . we used to go through the tunnel as smaller kids and play in the hydro field on the south side.

The Whole lakefront promenade park system is unfamiliar . We used to go fishing beside the Hydro plant as they were pumping out warm water which attracted fish. It was just dirt then. They land filed quite a bit after i was older and not going down there much. And I'm certain the trails were not there in port credit like that. I bought my first decent bike at a bike shop just east of Hurontario. I rode it home to the Beaches from there. I just about died. I was not ready for that much of a ride. I would die now!

May 27, 2014 @ 10:47 AM

@James Edgar

Yes, that's a GoPro camera.

Awesome memories!

May 27, 2014 @ 10:52 AM

Petrina

Douglas, you should join us on the Great Waterfront Trail Adventure Aug. 11-15, it will cover the Trail from Brighton to Cornwall, adding another notch to your belt with 300 more km of the 1400 km Waterfront Trail. It's great fun, the communities all host rest stops and you'll meet people from all over North America. Here's the website: www.waterfronttrail.org.

May 27, 2014 @ 2:33 PM

Anonymous

There's something calming about this... it's mesmerizing. I could watch it all day.

How fast are you going?

May 27, 2014 @ 4:00 PM

@Anonymous

Between 25 and 30 km / hour mainly.

May 27, 2014 @ 5:41 PM

markosaar

My commute on the off-chance people are curious to watch another one:

Turn the sound down. I still had a squeaky wheel at the time, which turned out to be a structural failure, as a I discovered dramatically. (The model was known to squeak and experts advised me to just live with it. It later snapped while I was in the middle of Spadina and Adelaide.)

I record 95% of my rides, but just delete them. I have the GoPro running for insurance. I should really make a point of replacing that upload with a modern one where I manage to avoid the sidewalk completely. (I go up Bathurst nowadays instead of Strachan.)

May 27, 2014 @ 6:27 PM

@markosaar

How big is your Micro SD card?

May 27, 2014 @ 6:39 PM

markosaar

32 GB

... but here's the annoying thing. I think there's something slightly defective about my GoPro. It mostly works, but there are a few problems:

-the battery sometimes inexplicably dies, usually I get at least 90 minutes. This might be related to the next point:
-the wifi button gets accidentally activated sometimes. If I don't notice, it destroys the battery. The problem is that it's a hair-trigger to turn it on, but I can't turn it off without digging through a bunch of menus.
-the loop-recording feature plain doesn't work. It's supposed to just write over old video automatically once the card is full. I've tried it on shorter loops too -- it just doesn't work. Eventually tells me my card is full and it doesn't work until I reformat it.

I can mitigate these problems, but I wish I could just keep it charged, turn it on, and not have to fiddle with it until I actually had something necessary to extract.

Another "nice to have" feature would be a car dashcam style time stamp. I primarily want this thing to protect me in an I-said-he-said situation if I'm ever in an accident on the road.

May 27, 2014 @ 6:53 PM

@markosaar

I'm just getting used to the gopro, and have been testing it out with the only Micro SD card I had in the house: 4 GB.

With the default settings, I get about 21 minutes of footage before the card is full. I need a bigger card and to play with the settings.

May 27, 2014 @ 8:49 PM

markosaar

Mine is a generation older than the current models (Silver 3 as opposed to 3+).

The 32 GB card on that holds roughly seven 30 minute rides at 1080p 30fps.

May 27, 2014 @ 9:23 PM

James Edgar

I've wanted a Gopro for the Bandit for quite a while. I'd probably set it down low, maybe on the front forks. Not so much for recording accidents ,although that has helped more than a few bikers in legal situations. I just want to see what i missed while i'm so focused on handling the bike in the curvy bits.

I'd definetly not set it on my tank or dash. No need to advertise if i just happened to accidentally exceed the speed limit by 100 Km/h er 10 km/h...

May 28, 2014 @ 8:58 AM

Douglas

Petrina - I'm on the Waterfront Trail site from time to time. I'd feel more comfortable and confident improving my fitness to truly enjoy an "official" ride. The real reason I will not be able to participate this year is that I will be away on vacation with my sons that week. I would have a great goal otherwise. Being on my bicycle is a goal anyways, even though the midges (most irritating bug around) are still out in force along Lake Ontario in Durham Region. When I walk my dog, I can see huge swarms (10m x 10m) of them over the lake; it is not a pretty sight.

May 28, 2014 @ 11:31 AM

markosaar

...and just like that, my GoPro is gone. The mount snapped and I didn't notice. Needle in a haystack, or someone immediately picked it up.

I didn't realise it has a proper point to attach a safety tether:

So...don't make my mistake.

May 29, 2014 @ 12:37 PM

Tom Olien

We used to run the trails shown while living in south Etobicoke. We moved east of Cornwall 5 years ago to a home looking out at the St Lawrence River at Lake St Francis only 1/2 km off Waterfront Trail, where we later opened Mystic Meadow B&B. We invite Waterfront Trail users to extend their use of the trail to other sections near and far. Our B&B is great for those passing by through our area on an extended trail trip, or for a longer stay as a jump off point for many local trails and alternate activities such as kayaking or diving. We have space for singles, couples, families or small groups and love to show off the special features of this part of the province. Large sections of the trail from Kinston to Quebec are separate from the highway, and most of the rest have a well marked and respected bike lane with traffic used to including cyclist on the road.
The invitation is to let your use of a local part of the wonderful Waterfront Trail be the basis for stimulating an adventure to other parts of the trail.
"Start locally, think provincially"

June 19, 2016 @ 1:02 PM