10 Worst Albums of 1985 According to CFNY

10 Worst Albums of 1985 According to CFNYCFNY runs down the 10 worst albums of 1985 in this vintage audio clip.

Download this MP3 here.

this guest

I liked the john cougar mellencamp album on this list
but then I'm a sucker for watery woody guthrie
impersonations

the others whirred by in a blur

May 5, 2014 @ 3:53 PM

Philly-Bob

Quick Mike...pull this down before Cheryl hears that Mellencamp is on the list...

May 5, 2014 @ 3:57 PM

At least he's in good company. Prince made the list!

May 5, 2014 @ 3:58 PM

Lyle Lanley

Great audio... such memories.

Thanks for sharing this.

May 5, 2014 @ 4:10 PM

Here's the list of albums referenced.

10. ZZ Top - Afterburner
9. John Cougar Mellancamp - Scarecrow
8. The Power Station - The Power Station
7. Falco - Falco 3
6. Baltimora - Living in the Background
5. Mötley Crüe - Theatre of Pain
4. Arcadia - So Red the Rose
3. Prince - Around the World in a Day
2. Madonna - Like a Virgin
1. Wham - Make it Big

Scarecrow was a fine album, and I still enjoy Rock Me Amadeus from Falco and Home Sweet Home from that Crüe album.

And 10 year old Mike enjoyed Like a Virgin and Make it Big, owning both on cassette.

May 5, 2014 @ 4:12 PM

Digger03

Let us not forget the first German rap song I ever heard!

Der Kommissar !

Digger03

May 5, 2014 @ 7:40 PM

Argie

Scarecrow was a terrific album. Kenny Arnoff is/was one of the best drummers around. The rest of list were crap.

May 5, 2014 @ 7:58 PM

Not Argie

Must agree with Argie. Bought the CD then, still own it now.

May 5, 2014 @ 9:02 PM

this guest

Just listened to rain on the scarecrow/ blood on the plow
good stuff

May 5, 2014 @ 9:41 PM

Out West

I'm not ashamed to admit Baltimora's Tarzan Boy is on my ipod as is Power Station's Some Like It Hot

May 5, 2014 @ 10:00 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Wasn't Scarecrow part of the Farm Aid era, where Mellencamp was drawing attention to the farmers losing their land?
It was good album for the time, at least it had a purpose.

May 6, 2014 @ 7:38 AM

this guest

Rick C yes it was.

May 6, 2014 @ 7:49 AM

James Edgar

I'm with Argie I liked Scarecrow and in fact it's one of the 50 or so Vinyl records I still have. I saw the tour too and it was a standout show.

May 6, 2014 @ 9:21 AM

Broni

I'm no Mellencamp fan but I saw one of his concerts and it was one of the best shows I've seen. Kind of like Springsteen - you don't have to like his music to appreciate the effort he put into making sure his audience left happy.

May 6, 2014 @ 11:10 AM

Jacob

Keep this list handy for those closed-minded twits who always bray about how "music used to be better compared to today's crap".

May 6, 2014 @ 2:26 PM

Argie

My memroes and favorites of the 80s aren't the same as most people my age. I'm in my mid 40s and for me, 80s music means bands like U2, The Police, INXS and artists like Bowie, Gabriel, Mellencamp and some Springsteen.

The music CFNY played n the 80s was crap - at least in my opinion. It was essentuially a bunch of obscure British one-hit wonders who never met a synthathizer they didn't like and wouldn't know a actual drum kit if it bit them in the ass.

May 6, 2014 @ 3:14 PM

Stephanie

I didn't watch the clip but in 1985 I won all the albums that were Juno nominees from the Toronto Star. I can't recall what it was but a ballot contest and I won. I remember I liked Bryan Adams (Run to You) and the Corey Hart (the one with Sunglasses at night) and I think the Spoons were in that grouping.. I was not a fan of the Platinum Blonde or Parachute Club.. 1985 was not a great year for Canadian music...

May 6, 2014 @ 8:02 PM

Harry

I am a huge FALCO-Fan from the very beginning and can`t share that "Falco 3", including 3 major hits with "Rock Me Amadeus", "Vienna Calling" & "Jeanny, Part 1" is a worse one. But compared with the best German LP ever, "Einzelhaft", it`s a very fine runner-up. Ì also don`t understand, that WHAM´s album should be the worst. Anyway, everything is subjectiv and should be tolerated.
By the way I am looking for old Canadian clippings about FALCO in papers or magazines. Does anybody know a second hand shop or an online shop in Canada storing such stuff?
Also TV-appearances...

May 9, 2014 @ 6:41 PM

markosaar

@Harry,

Did you like Gary Numan back in the day? I've always appreciated The Pleasure Principle for its uniqueness. I was recently reacquainted to Numan with Splinter, his last album. Holy fuck it was my favourite album from last year, and suddenly I'm a massive fan of him and his back-catalogue.

May 10, 2014 @ 12:57 AM

Harry

@markosaar
Thanx for your contribution, but there is no essential bridge between FALCO and Gary NUMAN, except the "membership" in the general term of "New Wave", either from the U.K. and the rest of middle-Europe. Of course I liked and liking his super-hits "Cars" or "Are Friends Electric", no doubt about it, but I am neither interesting in other stuff of him nor in his personality!

May 19, 2014 @ 6:10 AM