Another Rob Ford Crack Video, More Rob Ford Crude Ramblings

While the Raptors were busy building a big lead against the Nets and almost letting it all slip away, my Twitter feed was erupting with news of another Rob Ford crack video and an audio recording of his typical misogynist and homophobic ramblings.

The Globe has the details about Rob Ford's crack cocaine use this weekend and The Sun has details on his offensive barroom tirade at Sullie Gorman’s Monday night.

ford-crack

The most shocking thing of all is how unsurprising this all is. It's what I've come to expect from this pathetic excuse for a mayor.

Lorne

All just speculation and allegations from people trying to make the issues political!

No one ever heard him on a tirade. And if they did, they were lying. And if they aren't lying, then they're mistaken. And if they aren't mistaken, then they're just on a witchhunt instead of focusing on the taxpayers. And if they actually right, then we've all made mistakes, and all he can say is sorry and move on and it won't happen again.

And if it does happen again...

April 30, 2014 @ 11:08 PM

Philly-Bob

Okay...is this enough? Is there anything left to defend? This has never been about policy for me. God help me, on paper I agree with him for the most part. But the sideshow, lies, excuses and general buffoonery..... Can we be done now?

April 30, 2014 @ 11:13 PM

@Philly-Bob

I still feel the way I felt in March when I wrote this.

"Those in Ford Nation who are still voting for the man are going to support him no matter what. If he's arrested next week, it won't change their mind. There's almost nothing he can do to lose their vote at this point."

April 30, 2014 @ 11:17 PM

Gump

In the words of Bob Cole, "everything is happening!"

April 30, 2014 @ 11:20 PM

Rob

He is actually getting help now. That's a step forward for his personal health.

April 30, 2014 @ 11:28 PM

Yes, he needs rehab.

Yes, he should resign.

April 30, 2014 @ 11:30 PM

Lyle Lanley

Ford is a disaster.

May 1, 2014 @ 12:04 AM

this guest

this decision to get 'help' is only because/ he got caught,
the drama of his life, much like the mayor, is quite one
dimensional.

May 1, 2014 @ 3:57 AM

this guest

a fitting end to a bully who lorded it over schoolchildren/pleading
for their library programs at committee meetings
running...into the early hours of the morning. He must
have been dying to get out of there and find a stimulant.

hard however to not be appreciative of his ineffectiveness/
& inability to 'stay on message' while delivering the hudakian/
agenda. dud akian. thud akian.

May 1, 2014 @ 5:58 AM

markosaar

"Don't call it cocaine. Call it the mayor's Downtown Relief Line."

-Andrew Coyne: https://twitter.com/acoyne/statuses/461682715423956992

May 1, 2014 @ 7:52 AM

McNulty

Rob Ford isn't getting help. This 30 days is a way for him to duck out on the deluge of questions about:

1) The audio recording
2) The new crack tape
3) The witnessess who claim to have seen him snort cocaine
4) The druken mess at the club in March

This isn't about rehab. It's a clever way to avoid more questions.

Unless he walks into a rehab facility today, he is never going to one.

May 1, 2014 @ 8:01 AM

Philly-Bob

@ McNulty - You are sooo right

May 1, 2014 @ 8:15 AM

Anonymous

the guy who likes to 'privatize' jobs (dropping workers out of the
middle class) and handing gravy train contracts to his buddies who
pay shit wages is the same guy who left his kids in the care of a guy
convicted of threatening to kill women

May 1, 2014 @ 8:17 AM

Argie

Poor Toronto residents - who are you left with to vote for???

May 1, 2014 @ 8:40 AM

Ben Vidal

I think the saddest thing is the comments on twitter and on comment section online newspapers. Lots of comments from people saying they don't believe he should go away or that they will vote for him anyways in the fall. There are even some incredulous ones stating no one knows what he was smoking in the picture and that Bieber is to blame. Even defense of his comments towards stintz and chow saying they feel the same way and they'd say the same things.

At work I sit across from a woman that has been defending ford to people for the last 45 minutes since she came to work. Essentially blaming the media for Ford's behavior and laying almost no guilt at his feet. She went so far as to blame his sister, because "she has always had problems thats why he got caught doing bad things there"

It's a mad world out there, I wish I could understand it better.

May 1, 2014 @ 8:51 AM

brocon

What an asshole.

No apology to Stintz yet? This guy is never accountable.

So many chances, all squandered. Yet if he catches someone sleeping on the job, he wants them fired immediately.

Asshole. 100% asshole. Always has been, always will be.

May 1, 2014 @ 9:05 AM

this guest

like that rancher in nevada standing up to the government
ford nation can't really string together an articulate argument
that makes sense

they think ford is huey 'the kingfisher' long but he misses that
by a long mark. like its opposite day.

May 1, 2014 @ 9:14 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Ben - You can't apply rational thinking to those that are not rational. This woman at your work obviously has no clue about...well...much of anything I guess.

May 1, 2014 @ 9:16 AM

Philly-Bob

You know it's bad when even Argie can't bring himself to defend Ford

May 1, 2014 @ 9:17 AM

Eekan Boo

I'm bored.

May 1, 2014 @ 9:26 AM

That's just it.

When Rob Ford gets drunk in public, says stupid shit, says he wants to jam Sintz, talks trash about his wife, smokes crack in his sister's basement, it's not that interesting anymore. This is who he is, and we don't expect anything more.

Yes, I hope he gets help. I really feel for his wife and kids.

Should Ford Nation support his run for a second term? Of course not, but give me a few minutes and I'll find a dozen people who think Dubya is behind 9/11, 10 who think smallpox vaccinations are giving kids autism, a handful more who believe god created the world in 7 days and at least one who denies the holocaust ever happened.

And for the 12,232th time, take away these circus antics and Rob Ford is a terrible mayor. Toronto deserves so much better.

May 1, 2014 @ 9:32 AM

this guest

bored or boorish it doesn't change a thing.

May 1, 2014 @ 9:32 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

I'm starting to miss those semi-sincere posts where everyone wanted him to get help.
Now that he's getting help it's merely a clever way to avoid questions? He's only getting help because he got caught? 100% Asshole?
Narrow-minded comments from those fortunate individuals who've never had their lives touched by addiction. Here's hoping it never will.

May 1, 2014 @ 9:32 AM

Argie

@phil
I know you're just trying to lure me into a debate that only turn into into name calling and overall nastiness so its best for everyone I not join in.

BTW, I'm not saying its you that will initiate the nastiness (just a few others here).

But yes, there's no defense for Ford's actions. I would never associate with anyone who treats himself and his family like that.

May 1, 2014 @ 9:32 AM

Anonymous

As always Nigel the Rob Ford apologist.

May 1, 2014 @ 9:41 AM

Argie

@Nigel
Yeah, come on! Grab that pitchfork and join the mob.

May 1, 2014 @ 9:44 AM

Anonymous

he needs to get help *and* resign

May 1, 2014 @ 9:46 AM

markosaar

@Nigel,

We just don't believe him anymore.

May 1, 2014 @ 9:48 AM

Anonymous

@Anon,
Can you point out the apologist part for me. Obviously I'm not that bright.

May 1, 2014 @ 9:50 AM

Gary

I still won't vote for Olivia Chow.

May 1, 2014 @ 9:51 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

@Markosaar,
Can't blame you for not believing him any more. All part of the shit show that addiction brings to the party.

May 1, 2014 @ 9:57 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Argie - My intent was simply to state that you know Ford has completely gone overboard when someone (in this case you) who has consistently defended the guy, finally throws his hands up and says "fuck it"..which is what I took you comment that Toronto now "has no one to vote for" to mean. You, as a conservative leaning person, now see no legitimate candidate. (a stance I agree with as it looks like Tory is done, and I think I've made my views on Chow clear)

It was not an attempt to lure you into a debate...in fact if you had come back with some defence of Ford, I'd have been disappointed.

It was more to say that Ford is is own worst enemy, and anyone who still supports him needs to take a look at their own mental health (sorry Nigel, but in this case I'm looking at you). I sincerely doubt if Rob Ford spends one day in rehab. McNulty hit the nail on the head...this is a cop out so he doesn't have to answer any more questions.

However, I will say right now, if we're wrong and Ford checks himself into rehab and gets the help he needs, I will publicly on this forum, apologize and admit I was wrong...but I doubt I will need to.

May 1, 2014 @ 9:58 AM

Neil

Come on, how many of you weren't at rob ford's sister's basement smoking crack last saturday. hypocrites.

May 1, 2014 @ 10:06 AM

McNulty

@ Nigel

I have been touched by addiction and have seen the devestation it can cause families.

I can also say the Ford doesn't appear to be ready or really willing to address the issue. He had his "come to Jesus" moment before and he chose not to address it. A personal trainer is not professional help.
So I stand by my statement that unless he checks in to rehab today, he is not likely to do it within the next 30 days.

May 1, 2014 @ 10:11 AM

Argie

@Neil
Shhh, I left long before the pipe and rock showed up.

May 1, 2014 @ 10:26 AM

Justin

This is great news. Rob Ford can go get the help he needs, come back rejuvenated, and boost his election chances at beating Chairman Chow and John "not really a" Tory.

I don't support Ford as much as I support his agenda, and this city has the best future under his policies. Get well Rob, and come back to kick out the left-wingers.

May 1, 2014 @ 10:41 AM

Justin

Also, Mike, it's quite offensive that you lumped in creationists with anti-vaccine whackjobs, 9/11 truthers, and freaking holocaust deniers. You just insulted the beliefs of the majority of the world's population, and stooped so low as to compare them with holocaust deniers. That's pretty classless.

Not trying to start an argument here, just thought I'd raise the point. Something to think about.

May 1, 2014 @ 10:47 AM

@Justin

Very few religious people actually believe god created the world in 7 (or 6) days.

Even in the Catholic school I attended we were taught to take that figuratively, not literally.

May 1, 2014 @ 10:58 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

@Philly-Bob,
Don't confuse sympathy with support.

And as for my mental state, you are not the first to question it and you will be far from the last.

@McNulty

If the last to know he’s an addict is the addict, then maybe the last to know when a man means what he says is the man himself. - Phillip K.DICK -

May 1, 2014 @ 11:03 AM

Ben Vidal

This Guest made a great point. This is the same man that wanted someone fired for sleeping at his desk at work. Yet he goes to work high/drunk and whatever else and that's ok? Big ol enabler Dougie Ford should have said he needed to be fired. Especially as he was the one that parroted Robbie on the sleeping guy getting fired.

It's also quite funny that throughout all of this Rob and Doug and their ilk have demanded further proof. Let them arrest me. The nixonian "I'm not a criminal" stance. Dragging this out to the nth degree. Then when a guy falls asleep at his desk the axe comes down and they want him fired. If this were 200 years ago I'm pretty sure they would have asked for a public flogging.

Look towards the nepitism at the THC with Ford's buddy being booted last week. Gross misconduct on the job with regards to HR policies and total abuse of power. Yet there is Rob saying it's sad day they lost a great man.

This is what is even worse than the drugs and the alcohol. It's what Rob and Doug consider to be good people and bad people. The people they continually vouch for are despicable humans, known criminals, abusive people and drug dealers. On the reverse the bad people are the ones that simply disagree with them or have a different opinion on how things should work.

You can't change a man like this in 30 days. This is a life time of enablers a privileged life and an inability to know right from wrong on a daily basis and a consummate pathological liar . Combine all of that with the the alcohol abuse and drug use and you have a man whose brain has be rewired to a point where it will require years of constant work and desire to change.

While Nigel laments people who are all over him for attending rehab now and that this is a publicity stunt I would tend to agree with those people. One of the rules of rehab or AA or any situation with someone coming over addiction is not getting into the same habits and environment.

Rob Ford became this disaster within the political spectrum and that was a breeding ground for his conduct. His supporters support him whether or not he was found continually doing heroin in a back alley every day. Those people are also enablers that allow him to be that way as long as it saves them a $60 vehicle registration fee. Those people are the most dangerous for him. They are the ones that say it's ok to do this and be this way, keep going robbie we'll vote for you anyways. I don't think they truly realize what a disservice they are doing to him. Those people are even worse than his detractors, because at the end of the day even detractors love a story where a man or woman was able to change their life around. Whereas these people keep on encouraging him, all the while his family have to be dragged through the mud daily. How fair is that?

@Justin: of course all of this is alright isn't it in your mind.

For him to truly get better he would have to step away from this for much longer and gradually get back into politics in the hopes that a couple of years from now he could truly show he was a changed man. You don't leave treatment or an AA meeting and head back to hang out with your friends who did drugs or enabled you to do drugs. You'll just have Ford end up like Lyndsay Lohan, hopefully with less paparazzi shots of him getting out of a limo with no panties on.

May 1, 2014 @ 11:30 AM

bdot

I think city politic needs to change. He should have been ousted the public should have the "Say" on having him ousted.

He is a man with a substance abuse problem who cannot perform his job. If in the Private sector he would have been long fired.

If he had been ousted last year, who knows, it may have been a wake up call for him, could of received help, and been 1/2 to clean and sober.

May 1, 2014 @ 11:44 AM

Michael Zanette

As far as I've heard, he's getting help for "drinking problems". There was no mention of drug addiction help other than alcohol.

May 1, 2014 @ 12:00 PM

this guest

Well my life was most definitely touched by addiction
issues around addiction
and a family in the prison of an addict's addiction

I guarantee you that Rob Ford is a sly, conniving
brutal monster who will only seek help when he is
chained to a rock and ravens are picking at his brain.

May 1, 2014 @ 1:02 PM

Argie

This is going to anger the pitchforkers but Ford hasn't been arrested thus there will be no "ousting" of him.

Sorry, but the only way is for him to step down. I don't see that happening.

Oh, I cant wait for the next installment of that Catherine woman whining about how much her city has sunk.

May 1, 2014 @ 1:05 PM

this guest

we know there was a holocaust
as there have been many holocausts

we do not know 100% about vaccines
or 911.

as for the world being created in 6 days
those bible believers didn't notice the
part that says 1 thousand years equals a
day for the lord. so we have some metaphorical
thought at play.

May 1, 2014 @ 1:06 PM

clarification:

rob is a 'wee' monster
he does not stride mightily across the world,
destroying civilizations, ecology, the food
chain, the water supply. just a wee fellow
in an Escalade with tinted windows.

May 1, 2014 @ 1:10 PM

McNulty

@ Argie

He won't be ousted. And he shouldn't be. He should resign but he won't. So an election will oust him. That's the only way. It's much like Donald Stirling. He said really stupid and horrible things. A ban is effective. But force him to sell his property? No. That's not how it works.

May 1, 2014 @ 1:24 PM

All because I listed a few things people believe doesn't mean I was giving them each equal weight.

Essentially, you cand find people to believe anything.

May 1, 2014 @ 1:28 PM

James Edgar

This such a Sad story for Ford ,His family and the City of Toronto.I Do hope he really is going to rehab and that he gets the help he needs.I also hope He disappears from the landscape ASAP. I doubt the pressure and constant scrutiny are helping one bit. And even if he was to win a second term as Mayor how effect could he possibly be?

May 1, 2014 @ 1:32 PM

good article.
doesn't mention the half dozen violent crimes (including a murder) that
come to mind associated with the video.
I suppose we'll never know the actual back story.

May 1, 2014 @ 1:58 PM

Anonymous

@T.O. Mike,
"The Good Ship Compassion sailed a long time ago..."

I didn't realize compassion had a best before date.
Hope this guy doesn't have any kids

May 1, 2014 @ 1:59 PM

@Anonymous

Are you talking about him as a human and father of two or as the mayor of Toronto?

May 1, 2014 @ 2:00 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

Sorry Anon was me.
Edward Keenan is who I was referring to.

Anyone who puts a time stamp on compassion, ain't my kind of person. Something I wouldn't teach my kids.

May 1, 2014 @ 2:10 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Nigel - I'm sorry, but compassion does have a best before date.

When the first video surfaced, if he had come forth and said

"I, Rob Ford, have a substance abuse problem. I though I had it under wraps, but I was wrong. I'm going to step away and get the help I need, so I can come back and do the job i was elected to do"

I would have had nothing but compassion and respect for the man. Any of us can succumb to addiction in a weak moment.

But he didn't do that. He denied, pointed fingers elsewhere, blamed everyone BUT himself. At the end of the day Rob Ford does not take responsibility for the actions of Rob Ford (something we're supposed to teach our children to do from a young age).

So yeah, I'm all out for compassion for this guy cause he keeps doing the same stupid shit over and over again, to hell with the condescension for himself, his family and the city he was elected to lead.

I'll save my compassion for the poor souls who actually want to do something about their problems as opposed to blaming everyone else for them.

May 1, 2014 @ 2:20 PM

Philly-Bob

Oh, and Nigel, my family has been touched by addiction, I know what a bitch it is. The first step to recovering from an addiction is to admit you have a problem....something I still don't think Rob Ford has done.

May 1, 2014 @ 2:22 PM

Re: Compassion

As a human being, an addict, and a father of two young children, of course Rob Ford is entitled to compassion.

As the self-serving disaster of a mayor, he needs to go away and never come back. I have zero compassion for him in that role. He needs to find another line of work.

Surely I'm not the only one able to separate the human being from the elected official.

May 1, 2014 @ 2:25 PM

this guest

the addiction is the story for an addict
compassion for no one but themselves
poor me poor me poor me
fucking millionaire druggie wants to take
libraries away from kids

May 1, 2014 @ 2:26 PM

And it really, really bothers me that Rob Ford voted against so many addiction programs as councillor and mayor. And now, when he's an addict, he simply hops on a private plane to Chicago to get free help from one of the best rehab facilities in the world.

Chew on that one for a bit...

May 1, 2014 @ 2:33 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

@Philly Bob
Like I said, you ain't my kind of person.

@ T.O. Mike
For almost a year Ford supporters (deniers) have been "separating the human being from the elected official", only to get ridiculed en masse. For you to step up and make that declaration now is pretty funny.

May 1, 2014 @ 2:35 PM

@Nigel Trousershrapnel

Again, for the 12,233rd time, I think Rob Ford is a lousy leader completely void of vision and the skills necessary to effectively lead a city like Toronto, even without his alcoholism, drug abuse, cavorting with criminals and ties to extortion, etc.

So I've alway been separating the human being from the elected official, I just think both are junk.

May 1, 2014 @ 2:41 PM

Ben Vidal

@ Toronto Mike: None of that matters to the people who would still vote for him. For common sense people like yourself and others on here it's a travesty, but then again it's not surprising. Like politicians who put forward bills against gay people and then get caught in motel rooms snorting cocaine off a male hooker. Sometimes deep down people hate themselves for what they are and try to emulate that hate to anyone else who could be the same.

You know it's hypocrisy of the criminal type and many others do to. It's the people that have backed the lame horse that seem to not care. He is the ultimate man of the people on a private plane to Chicago. He's fighting for the little guy all the way to a paid for rehab clinic. I think if he had a little bit of humility he would have gone to a local publicly funded rehab clinic to get better. Then again it takes humility and human compassion for a person to think that way.

May 1, 2014 @ 2:43 PM

GAR

And remember Toronto, he'd fire you if he caught you napping on the job, no questions asked.

BUT, he can miss work while on a bender, and he's entitled to keep his job.

Fuck this guy.

May 1, 2014 @ 2:45 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

@T.O. Mike
Fair enough.
It got me laughing though.
Sorry.

May 1, 2014 @ 2:50 PM

Ben Vidal

@ Nigel: Your last comment is laughable. They weren't getting ridiculed en masse for having sympathy the ones who got ridiculed are the ones that made it seem like he was a victim. The ones that still support him and think he should continue to run as is. The ones that said I want to see proof, then proof was given and said well he hasn't been convicted. The ones that said they would rather see a mayor in office doing crack than a left wing leaning mayor. Those are people who haven't separated the man from the mayor. They only care about themselves. The continuing nature in which you take this obtuse view towards Ford is quite comical.

May 1, 2014 @ 2:51 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Nigel - I'll find a way to keep moving on without your approval.

Hey, by Rob Ford math that means I have a 99.9999999% approval rating on torontomike.com

Oh, and I've save Mike over a billion dollars

May 1, 2014 @ 2:54 PM

markosaar

The left vs. right stuff still kills me. They're utterly nonsense labels at this point if we're going to keep calling Ford right-wing. He's so fiscally prudent cancelling a paid-for transit plan, replacing it with a less-effective, more expensive subway we can't afford to operate, and raising property taxes to get it off the ground. What a fiscal conservative.

May 1, 2014 @ 3:01 PM

Jamie

How about them Raptors....

May 1, 2014 @ 3:11 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

@Ben Vidal,
Ford supporters said they would vote for Rob Ford for mayor because of his policies not his personal life, thereby separating his job as mayor from the man he is in his private life. They've said it over and over again.
They were ridiculed for their willingness to separate the two.
When our host asked if he was the only one who could separate the human being from the elected official, I damn near pissed myself.
Sorry that you don't see the irony.

@Philly-Bob,
Good to know. I will withhold my approval until you really need it.

May 1, 2014 @ 3:14 PM

this guest

the mayor did a damned good job himself
of blurring all the lines
when you talk about having enough pussy
to eat at home outside your office in
city hall well, uh.....

May 1, 2014 @ 3:17 PM

this guest

attending civic functions as the mayor
not as the don bosco volunteer coach
while drugged up boozed up
sort of blurs the lines too between
private and public

May 1, 2014 @ 3:20 PM

commandeering a city bus
as the mayor &
kicking off the passengers
so football players under your
tutelage as coach
(volunteer non civic position)
can get somewhere quicker
sort of blurs the lines too.

May 1, 2014 @ 3:23 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Jamie - I know eh? They almost fell apart last night. I've never seen a coach so livid after a win. But our plucky underdogs seem to be prevailing.

May 1, 2014 @ 3:32 PM

Argie

What a game last night! Anyone?

May 1, 2014 @ 3:35 PM

Argie

@phil
On Twitter there were several sports writers paralleling the Leafs collapse last spring to Boston to the Raps near collapse. It was quite funny.

May 1, 2014 @ 3:47 PM

Ben Vidal

@ Nigel: Do you believe what you just wrote or was that meant to be a flippant joke? You don't see that both inextricably linked. If you have a man that is consistently binge drinking and at several points in time doing drugs that what he does in his personal life is part of his work life? For someone who seems to profess this mass sympathy for those who are addicts you would know that an addict doesn't have a private life, their addiction is their life and their life runs around that addiction. Where in you cannot separate the two for the purposes of approving his policies and vowing to vote for him again when you know he's a drunk and a crackhead. The comments I read on a variety of newspapers and calls in on talk radio I've listed to did not say they would vote for him because of his policies, they outright stated he would get their vote while being a crackhead. I know I can't speak for the masses, but I'd like to know where you get the authority to do so?

Your last statement is eerily reminiscent of Dave Williams. Not to infer you are him, but that his responses often sounded like that. So contrary for the sake of being contrary

May 1, 2014 @ 3:50 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

@ Ben Vidal,
I have compassion for addicts. Sympathy is never mentioned in my posts today.
And I can't find where I said I spoke for the masses.

I guess it's easier for you to make your point when you don't understand mine. Easier to say I'm contrary for the sake of being so.

If they are indeed inextricably linked as you say, your fight is with Mike as he was the one who said he could separate the two. Ford supporters make that distinction as well, ergo the irony. I merely have compassion for the man. Nothing more. Nothing less.
I'm not a religious man, but if I was, I'd be more of a "there go I but for the grace of god" kind of guy on the subject of Mayor Ford. You, however, come across as a "holier than thou" kind of fella.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

May 1, 2014 @ 4:17 PM

Ben Vidal

@ Nigel: You are really tiring at times picking on semantics. With sympathy being a synonym for compassion you are grasping at straws.

You said Ford supporters make a distinction between the two. Based on what do you make that assertions?

Mike spoke to separating the human being from the elected official. Openly stating that he doesn't like either

You speak to separating the the mayor from his private life. Do you now see how those two things differ?

I'm also certainly not holier than thou. I'm also not the mayor of large Canadian city. I don't have a drug or alcohol problem either, but that doesn't mean I think less of people who do. If you take that I'm holier than thou from my posts than you should go back and read more of them, because I didn't like ford before he was a known alcoholic and crack user. I disliked him for constantly lying about other things. His lying about drug and alcohol was just the extra that man decided to add to this mess.

May 1, 2014 @ 4:49 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

@ Ben Vidal,
I did mention sympathy in one of my earlier posts. My bad.
Sympathy means feeling sorry. I don't feel sorry for Mayor Ford.
Compassion means feeling empathy. At least that's the way I understand it.
It might be the same to you but there is a distinction.
I agree that I can be tiring sometimes. Trying to explain the same point to the same person three times over can exhausting.
So I won't try to explain irony to you again or compassion for that matter.
You'll have to figure it out for yourself.

May 1, 2014 @ 5:07 PM

this guest

Nigel oh come now you are as holier than thou as anyone
here even me and in terms of compassion one certainly
has compassion for an addict...it varies a bit for an addict
and a bully though right?...and it might vary even more so
for an addict, a bully, and a cohort of criminal gangs....

May 1, 2014 @ 5:25 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

@this pest,
Drugs and criminals go hand in hand, non? What part of this revelation surprises you?
Unless you know of some legal means of getting your fix, you gotta deal with the dealers.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes right?

I guess I come across as a little pious, feeling empathy and offering the benefit of the doubt, while everyone else screams for blood.
Hopefully you're not blind to the hypocrisy of those who insisted he needed treatment then gleefully condemn him when he does. Even criticize how and where he gets it.
I'll admit the man does himself no favours but the vitriol exhibited by some is beyond the pale.

May 1, 2014 @ 5:51 PM

this guest

we're not discussing whether it is surprising that illegal substances are connected to criminal involvement.
the point is that one's empathy for a helpless, sincerely desperate addict is shaded differently than that for a manipulative thug with a history of blatantly deceiving the public.

and if you want to call me that 'moniker' that's fine but just don't lecture people about being holier than thou when it's all over you as well i.e. using terms of derision.

May 1, 2014 @ 6:13 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

@this guest
If we're not discussing it, why did you introduce it into the conversation?
If you want to split hairs and tell me that one addict deserves empathy more than another, who am I to judge.
I will respect your "moniker" from here on in. It was fun while it lasted.
I think I conceded that I was being a bit pious, you know, holier than thou in my last post.
As for using terms of derision, it really is one of my strengths and I'd hate to have to abandon it. When someone takes what I post out of context, they become fair game in my books.
I see you avoided the hypocrisy issue all together. Well played my guest, well played.

May 1, 2014 @ 6:53 PM

Speysidephil

Had to check in on this one as I knew the great Mayor of Toronto and his antics would bring out the best in the looney left. Not disappointed.
Better watch out Nigel you may be coming perilously close to the Ban.

May 1, 2014 @ 7:02 PM

:- )
Yes I avoided some of your points in order to give the most incisive possible reply to certain others.
:- )
and I'm sure you'll 'more than agree.'

but suffice it to say we all have elements of accuracy in our thoughts and opinions and if there was some master-plan-diety he or she could just do some magic sifting and show us all reality as it really stands.

In terms of hypocrisy about views of him getting treatment, just to segue, I have my doubts about whether he'll even cooperate with 'treatment.' This might all be a stunt dreamt up to put him in an advantageous light in a few months when, like a risen messiah, he returns.

May 1, 2014 @ 7:09 PM

deity.

must have been thinking of 'diets.'

May 1, 2014 @ 7:12 PM

Anonymous

.@1weesel exactly. Doug spent a week in Chicago setting this up. The day he returns, Rob announces he's taking a leave, flies to... Chicago.

May 1, 2014 @ 8:39 PM

Argie

@Mike
I heard some of the recordings but I didn't hear anything that was remotely "homophobic". Can you give me an example of this?

May 2, 2014 @ 8:53 AM

Ben Vidal

@ Argie: The part where he now longer likes Tim Hudak because he agreed with the "gays" about having the flag up at city hall.

May 2, 2014 @ 9:09 AM

Argie

@ben
For christsakes, how was that homophobic? He just disagreed with their request. Some people are just too sensitive.

May 2, 2014 @ 9:24 AM

James Edgar

@Mike the KEENAN article was a good read. And pretty much hits the nail on the head. He has squandered a TON of good will. If there's one thing that has been a pet peeve of mine life long it is not taking responsibility. Ford has had ample opportunities over the last year to do so.

And he hasn't. He's cost himself ,his family , and the city of Toronto.

All for what? Staving off the inevitable.

I've already said I really do hope he gets the help he needs but he has to go away from politics for a long time if not forever. He and his family won't heal until he does.

May 2, 2014 @ 11:57 AM

dale

Just had a $h!t fight with Rogers regarding TV cable not working.

Problem happened in the past & wifey was able to resolve it with them after contacting them. She is away for the week so I called Rogers & digital box they said is fine & "it must be your TV". It's brand new & told them this happened in the past 2 weeks & was fixed by Rogers directing to resolve the problem. "You must contact your TV provider for a solution". In the meantime my son was able access & enable to get cable.

After solution while still on phone with Rogers I said thanks for nothing as I will be looking towards other suppliers for internet, phone & cable & then hung up.

Rogers Bastards - as I shouldn't say that as Ted Rogers was a fraternity brother of mine (Sigma Chi - Beta Omega chapter UofT) & met him many times.

May 2, 2014 @ 8:02 PM

markosaar

Hey Dale,

Bet you meant to pay this on Open Mike.

Anyway the solution I guarantee you is to unplug the power from the Rogers box for a minute. It's been happening to a lot of people lately.

May 2, 2014 @ 8:42 PM

markosaar

Post. Sorry, replying from my phone.

May 2, 2014 @ 8:42 PM

dale

@markosaar

Yea sent to wrong site as should have been Open Mike.

Sorry. I did unplug for a few minutes & that when I called.

Maybe Ford could have fixed it in his drunken, drug stupor.

May 2, 2014 @ 8:50 PM

Tropical

Now that Rob Ford apologized and he is back to his normal routine life does that mean the person sleeping at his desk in 2013 will be forgiven too.

Why that person was fired? Why it was a big deal? Do we know the reasons?
Why the Manager was fired? What's is fault?

I can't find anything on this case, why?

Anyone can do mistakes. If Rob Ford can and if he can get chances to go rehab and change, then these people should be given the chance too.

I do hope they are still employed and happy.

July 1, 2014 @ 4:28 PM