Rob Ford and Jimmy Kimmel

Rob Ford and Jimmy KimmelEarlier today, I had a Twitter exchange with a woman I've never met. Her name is Catherine Solmes and she's @ccath on Twitter.

Catherine seemed quite upset by Rob Ford's trip to LA to appear on Jimmy Kimmel Live. My plan was to completely ignore this story, and most of the Fords' embrace of worldwide infamy. In my opinion, the remaining Rob Ford supporters just enjoy seeing progressives aghast, and I'm not interested in feeding their perverse desires. But I could tell Catherine had something she needed to get off her chest, so I asked her to write a guest blog entry.

The following words belong to Catherine.

When news broke on Saturday afternoon that Rob Ford was on his way to L.A. to attend the Oscars and appear on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, the disbelief, anger and frustration that overflowed in my Twitter feed was telling. After all the events since the news of a possible crack video featuring Rob Ford broke last May, this reaction struck me as significant. I myself reacted with outrage, annoyance and an overwhelming feeling of helplessness. My city was, once again, about to be humiliated by the man who is a continued source of controversy and shame for so many of my fellow Torontonians.

Over the unbelievable past year, Ford had become world-famous for being the crack-smoking mayor of Toronto. Torontonians are privy to a lot more – the drug and alcohol abuse; the murderous threats; the bigotry, homophobia and racism; the gang affiliations; employing friends and associates with criminal backgrounds and little to no credentials in the Mayor's’ office; the domestic abuse allegations; the driving under the influence; the nonsensical outbursts in City Council meetings; the horrible, unrepeatable and unfounded accusations against a Toronto Star reporter; the exploitation of impoverished communities for photo ops; the public urination; the sexual assault allegations; and the unexplained and unaccounted-for absences from City Hall. It’s exhausting.

This man is not only the mayor of Canada’s largest city, he had reportedly been invited to the Oscars by Jimmy Kimmel. Ford supporters, accused those who took offense to this of being jealous. Yes, jealous. I honestly don’t know if there could be a further disconnect between those of us who want Ford gone and those who support him. It’s as if we live on different planets.

Of course, Rob Ford didn't end up attending the Oscars due to security issues (this comes from Doug Ford, so it’s likely they were never invited at all). I didn't watch the Oscars, but there was no mention of or awareness of Rob Ford among the glitterati on the red carpet or during the ceremony. Thank goodness for small favours. Knowing that the In Memoriam segment would prominently feature Philip Seymour Hoffman, who very recently died as a result of a drug overdose, Hollywood in any way celebrating “the crack-smoking Mayor of Toronto” would have been truly awful.

Tonight, he'll appear on Jimmy Kimmel Live!. While he and his brother Doug have done interviews with American media before, this feels different. This is a late-night talk show, albeit one with a less famous host, but the one which has arguably skewered him the most. Jimmy Kimmel has not only cracked jokes about him (no pun intended), he’d had an actor (Parks and Recreation’s Jim O'Heir) portray him in video clips. So what was this going to be about? Who in their right mind would allow themselves to be a willing participant on a show that played him as a joke? Who in Toronto actually believes that Rob Ford will be an intelligent and sympathetic guest for Jimmy Kimmel? Or that Kimmel will allow him to be?

Ford was accompanied on this trip by his brothers Doug and Randy, his Communications Director, Amin Massoudi, and two other staff. If this was a special trip to Los Angeles, where were his wife and kids? Doug claimed they were there to promote Toronto to the film folks in Hollywood. So I guess it’s a business trip then? If so, he neglected to mention it to Toronto’s Film Commissioner Randy McLean, whose very job it is to grow and promote the city’s film industry.

I have two theories. One, that Rob Ford is fully aware, from presumably having some understanding of the city’s budget and reputation (wow, I wrote that without sniggering), that many Hollywood films and series are shot here, that Toronto’s architecture and streets are easily substituted for many American and international cities on film and on television. With that assumption, Ford is using this as an excuse to be in L.A. and, while he’s there, take Kimmel up on his invitation to appear on the show. Here’s the kicker – Ford has had no meetings booked with studios or producers. He’s spent his time walking down Sunset Boulevard and taking photos with anyone who recognizes him (and some who don't).

My second theory is that he really thinks that L.A. film bigwigs don't know about Hollywood North and believes he is legitimately doing the city of Toronto a favour. (I wrote that, too, without sniggering or crying.) The man who votes against any motion that would benefit the city’s arts community is making a special trip to promote it to the Hollywood film industry?

I don't like to assume Ford is an idiot, because despite the truly ignorant things he says and does, he wouldn't be able to be as successful a politician as he has been. But this trip to L.A comes a few days after he claimed on an episode of his YouTube series Ford Nation that he doesn't like to be a celebrity and that he’s just your average guy, an everyman. Oh really? If you're shying from all the attention, and don't want to be photographed and have reporters follow you around, why would you chose to go to L.A. to appear on a late-night talk show? A talk show that has done nothing but mock you since they first heard of your crack use?

Ford claims he wants to be judged on his record as mayor, not his police record. Does he really think that Kimmel or anyone he meets in L.A. cares one bit about Toronto’s budget, unions, taxes or transit system? I suspect that anyone who approaches Ford for a photo or an interview is hoping that he’s high and/or drunk and banking him to say something idiotic on camera.

The episode has not yet aired, but we got a taste of it last night on Kimmel’s Oscar special. Ford wandered onto the set, in a tux, when his name was spoken. Kimmel reminded him that he was on tomorrow night’s show. Oh dear. Let’s all laugh at the “intoxicated and confused Rob Ford” as if this was a hilarious character he'd created. Let’s pretend that he’s not fully in control of his senses and wandering around in a daze. Toronto’s mayor is willing to be the butt of jokes about his drug and alcohol abuse. It’s come to this. Oh, how I wish we were the butt of an elaborate joke. Because I don't want this to be real.

Ford’s global infamy is based on one thing – he is Toronto’s crack-smoking mayor. And for having “enough to eat at home”, for refusing to step down, for having unwavering support from Ford Nation, and for having the gall to run for re-election. Some admire his balls, his determination to say and do what he feels like. Some enjoy the sheer entertainment value of it all. Some find him hilarious. Some find him relatable.

Kimmel should be ashamed of himself for having Ford as a guest. Ford should be ashamed too, but as we well know by now, he has no shame. Unfortunately, Toronto does. Anyone who continues to perpetuate this ongoing controversy is rewarding Ford’s shockingly bad behaviour and enabling a man’s dangerous downward spiral. Toronto is rightfully angry at Kimmel for following through on their “Rob Ford is a clown” bit. To us, this has ceased to be funny long ago. This isn't just making fun of Rob Ford, it is perpetuating the mockery that Ford has made of himself and the city he purports to lead. I don't know what will happen tonight on Jimmy Kimmel Live! The most likely scenario is that Kimmel will gently rib him and Rob Ford will get to showcase his “everyman” charm and laugh off his drug and alcohol abuse.

Optimists out there are hoping that Kimmel will be merciless with Ford. Considering that Ford doesn't talk to anyone who asks tough questions, and that Jimmy Kimmel Live! is an entertainment show, this is highly unlikely. What will most certainly happen is that Toronto’s mayor will glow with misplaced pride and “aw shucks” charm, chuckle at his “indiscretions”, spout his “saving the taxpayers” clichés and allow himself to look bad, very bad.

Despite what happens, it’s all going to be about Rob Ford, the crack-smoking mayor. I think this will make Toronto look even worse than it already does. And after the year we've had with this man as our mayor, that’s saying something.

Anonymous

Let me guess....you live in "old" Toronto. Seeing all of you non Ford fans go crazy over him is very entertaining!!

March 3, 2014 @ 6:00 PM

At this point, Rob Ford supporters just enjoy seeing progressives aghast. I sincerely believe that.

Or as I put it to Catherine via Twitter:

@ccath some people just want to watch the world burn

— Toronto Mike (@torontomike) March 3, 2014
March 3, 2014 @ 6:02 PM

Speysidephil

" I think this will make Toronto look worse than it already does"
Do you really think that the rest of the world gives a damn about how Toronto looks ? Talk about a disconnect, you can hate Ford all you want but to say that your embarrased about what it is doing to Toronto, Please!!!!
Toronto will be just fine with or without Ford.

March 3, 2014 @ 6:48 PM

Luigi

I wonder if this lady is going to take the time to cast a vote in October instead of just raging against the machine on social media.
If you want to change things, the old saying 'don't sing it, bring it' applies.

March 3, 2014 @ 7:10 PM

Rachel

@Luigi
Catherine is, in fact, an engaged citizen and voter, and I have no idea why you would assume, given her thoughtful comments here, how she wouldn't be.

March 3, 2014 @ 7:16 PM

Hello City

TBH I don't think Ford being paraded around like this does much for or against Toronto, except inasmuch as the people who are living vicariously through him will think he's that much cooler because he got to go to Hollywood and hang out with the stars, and the people who would slit their own children's throats to piss off the "downtown elites" will have one more thing to gloat about.

In a way I am hoping Kimmel will humiliate him in a way that even he can't miss and trigger the comprehensive breakdown that brings all of this to a close. It's not kind, but there's no way this is going to end well at any point, so I hope it at least ends soon.

March 3, 2014 @ 7:18 PM

Steve

Really?
Perhaps you should get some help for your Rob Ford addiction.
I think the long cold winter has got people angry at just about anything.
Go find your smile.

March 3, 2014 @ 7:22 PM

Corey

I have to admit, I didn't make it through the entire post. I got the gist by the fourth paragraph.

"I myself reacted with outrage, annoyance and an overwhelming feeling of helplessness."
You're waaaaaaay too emotionally invested in this if this is an accurate description of your state of mind.

"My city was, once again, about to be humiliated by the man..."
Who cares? Really, who gives a fuck what anyone who lives outside of Toronto thinks? Is this really going to impact your life in any measurable way (besides bruising your fragile ego)?

And @Toronto Mike: is "progressives" the new word for "liberals"? I didn't get the memo.

March 3, 2014 @ 8:18 PM

Corey

Hey, what happened to Argie's comment?

March 3, 2014 @ 9:03 PM

@Mike

Yeah whaahappened?

March 3, 2014 @ 9:09 PM

Anonymous

Ford had no plan for his visit. Such a joke. He's a clown and an embarrassment.

March 3, 2014 @ 9:16 PM

@Argie

Your first comment was removed because I objected to the content.

March 3, 2014 @ 9:17 PM

Corey

@ Toronto Mike - brutal.

March 3, 2014 @ 9:20 PM

Argie

That's weak, Mike. I'm sorry for not agreeing with your friend.

March 3, 2014 @ 9:22 PM

@Argie

I could give a fuck if you agree with Catherine or what you think about Rob Ford.

That's not at all why you were snipped.

March 3, 2014 @ 9:26 PM

Argie

I guess we'll never know why.

March 3, 2014 @ 9:28 PM

@Argie

You could always write me an email.

When I tell you, it will all make sense.

March 3, 2014 @ 9:33 PM

Corey

@Mike -

This thing with veiled comments about Argie is getting tiresome. If he's playing some weird game that that the rest of us are not privy to, and he's really that disruptive, you should just ban him. Again, maybe I'm in the position of defending from a position of incomplete knowledge, but I saw the comment. It was no big deal. You said you deleted it because you objected to the content. I find censorship extremely offensive. It's your blog, but I sure don't want to participate if you're going to be deleting comments because you don't like them.

March 3, 2014 @ 9:55 PM

@Corey

Argie and I are chatting about it via email. He now understands why I deleted the comment.

I'm not sure why you're so offended about what I'll allow on my site.

March 3, 2014 @ 9:57 PM

GAR

Excellent essay.

March 3, 2014 @ 10:05 PM

Anonymous

Jimmy kimmel is skewering rob ford. Wow. Great interview so far. Not letting away with anything.

— Gavin McGarry (@gavinmcgarry) March 4, 2014
March 3, 2014 @ 10:20 PM

this guest

Ford and his brothers
Are turning into a freak show.

Speaking of the Oscars
Have you seen the film
Blue Angel with
Marlene Dietrich where the
Dignified professor
Overcome with lust
Allows himself to be turned into
An object of ridicule?

March 3, 2014 @ 11:00 PM

this guest

p.s. Well written article
you reprinted above.

March 3, 2014 @ 11:05 PM

markosaar

SO. AWKWARD.

March 4, 2014 @ 12:16 AM

Corey

@Mike-

I guess I'm offended because I don't know the rules. I saw the comment, I couldn't discern anything that warranted its removal, so I assume you're now just removing comments depending on your mood or something. If you're encouraging reader participation, let them participate. If they're racist or spewing hate ban them.

March 4, 2014 @ 7:49 AM

Jamie

@Corey

I 100% agree with you. Who cares what total strangers think. Do you people have zero self worth that it really matters what others think of your mayor or city. Who gives a shit.

I watched the interview on Youtube this morning and was dying of laughter. I thought it was just awesome when Jimmy compared the mayor of L.A versus the mayor of Toronto. Lighten up people and get a life. Have pride in your family and what you with yourself.

March 4, 2014 @ 7:58 AM

@Corey
Just so everyone knows my post was not racist, homophobic, misogynist or anything special in anyway. Mike just objected to me using a word that's used everyday to describe someone who is not bright.

Yet, he didn't delete this post by "Hello City": "I am hoping Kimmel will humiliate him in a way that even he can't miss and trigger the comprehensive breakdown that brings all of this to a close"

If that isn't offensive and sick, I don't know what is.

March 4, 2014 @ 8:09 AM

McNulty

No matter if you use words that may be offensive, or think Ford is great or think he is a criminal, the following exchange is pretty damn funny..

Ford, trying to explain his practice of personally responding to phone calls, said he "jumps" when taxpayers call. Kimmel responded: "Realistically though, how high can you really jump?"

March 4, 2014 @ 8:41 AM

markosaar

@Corey, I'm guessing it was "retard".

March 4, 2014 @ 8:43 AM

Speysidephil

Maybe the word was Moron, which I have used before??

March 4, 2014 @ 8:43 AM

@McNulty
Kimmel is funny.

March 4, 2014 @ 8:48 AM

Justin

I'm not sure why everyone is so up in arms about this. Ford's visit to Kimmel's show was harmless. It will be out of the news cycle in a couple of days and we'll have long forgotten about it come election time.

Besides, I'd be much more embarrassed having a mayor like David Miller who wasted millions of dollars and heavily increased taxes than mayor like Ford.

March 4, 2014 @ 8:56 AM

caygeon

On the show Ford said he is just an ordinary Joe. But he had to tell Kimmel that he still is running a million dollar business besides running the city. Is there no conflict of interest there. And hey-- Ellen D. actually in a dress at the Oscars.

March 4, 2014 @ 8:56 AM

If anyone wants more details as to why Argie's comment was deleted, please write me and I'll address it 1:1.

Argie, I thought that's what we were doing. I'm sorry you felt you needed to continue the convo here.

The word Argie used is not banned. It's context, not content, as is usually the case with this repeat offender.

March 4, 2014 @ 9:06 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

I had the chance to visit the fair city of Toronto just as the allegations around the Mayor, Rob Ford, began to swirl. It was a beautiful fall day and I’d come to take in all that is Toronto. I’d been to Toronto on numerous occasions in the past, revelling in all that a “world class” city has to offer. But this time it was different.

As I strolled the broad thoroughfare that is Bloor Street West, all one could hear was the muffled drone of traffic on the streets as it echoed off of the buildings old and new. But noticeably missing from the sounds of this great metropolis were the voices of those who’d ventured out this fine, fine day as they went about the daily minutia of their mundane existences. They were quiet, eyes downcast as they shuffled aimlessly along the sidewalks of their fair city.

I walked at the brisk pace needed to fight off the morning chill and as I passed these pedestrians, they turned their gaze to the side. It appeared that had they made eye contact with me, an interloper, ignorant to their shame, their hearts would surely burst from their chests and fall slowly, painfully to their feet and lay there on the cold, cold concrete, awaiting the next inevitable indignity to befall them.

I could feel it. It was real. Something had change.

As I entered my favorite coffee shop, loosening my jacket and casually gazing about the small shop, I saw small groups of threes and fours, huddled around the small tables. They spoke in hushed tones. There was a muffled cry to my right. I turned quickly to see a young lady being comforted by those at her table. The gentleman with the beard seated to her left gave me a look of silent desperation which quickly changed to a look of anger, anger that perhaps he’d let his guard down, letting a stranger see the hopelessness that had enveloped his entire soul.
This sad circus of despair played out again and again to varying degrees at each of the tables I pass on my way to order my coffee. As I approached the counter, the two young baristas shared a hug. The older girl telling the younger perhaps more sensitive girl, that it was going to be okay. It was going to be okay.
She turned to me, wiping away a solitary tear, fighting for control, and offered up a very melancholy, “Good Morning, how can I help you?”
My heart sank. I gave her my order and waited patiently at the end of the counter, taking it all in.

How could this have happened? How could Rob Ford let this happen?

I was done, emotionally finished. I couldn’t continue to enjoy my day in Toronto as those around me suffered. I quickly exited the coffee shop and made my way down Bloor towards my car. I spilled coffee as I hastily fumbled for my keys then pressed the car remote to open the door. I had to get out.

This was Rob Ford’s Toronto. A populace driven to the breaking point.
Sadness, despair, shame. This was Rob Ford’s Toronto and I had to get out.

As I drove west along Bloor, Bruce Springsteen’s Thunder Road reverberated loudly from the car stereo.
“Waste your summer pray’in in vain for a saviour to rise from these streets” he roared.

Who would be this saviour for Toronto?

Who would be the phoenix to lift us from the depths?

Who would be this saviour for Toronto?

March 4, 2014 @ 9:10 AM

@Mike
I don't want to continue it. I just wanted to state for the record what I said was neither racist or homophobic. That's all.

March 4, 2014 @ 9:21 AM

@Argie

This is true, is was neither racist nor homophobic.

March 4, 2014 @ 9:25 AM

McNulty

@ Justin

Just to be clear you would rather have a crack smoking, drunk driving, friend of murders & drug dealers, liar and contraian mayor who saved a few dollars (not a billion) than David Miller?

March 4, 2014 @ 9:31 AM

@McNulty
Allegations, dude, allegations. You don't want to be sued, do you?

March 4, 2014 @ 9:36 AM

Ben Vidal

@Argie: The only allegation there is the friend of murderers, we will wait for the court to indicate that. Otherwise the rest is spot on.

March 4, 2014 @ 9:46 AM

519 Rob

Its nice to see how visitors are treated here.

Well written Catherine.

As a non Toronto resident, I laugh at all of this, but at the same time, I am embarrassed for all of you.
Even if Ford was fiscally the greatest mayor Toronto has ever had, the side show that he has CREATED FOR HIMSELF makes him the joke that he is.
Toronto deserves better.

March 4, 2014 @ 9:54 AM

@Ben
So if someone has smoked pot once or twice in their life they can be described publicly (and repeatedly) as a stoner?

March 4, 2014 @ 9:56 AM

Ben Vidal

@Argie: So you believe he only smoked crack once? After he lied to everyone saying he never smoked it in the first place.

That means at any given time you take Ford at his word.

If you are that gullible I have some ice in my backyard I can sell you.

March 4, 2014 @ 10:02 AM

@Ben
Neither of us know. You're assuming he's a chronic crackhead.

But no, I don't believe much of what Ford says.

March 4, 2014 @ 10:15 AM

Ben Vidal

@ Argie: Just to be clear McNulty indicated crack smoking. He didn't say crackhead. At this point you are arguing semantics, which in turn is your modus operandi.

Secondly I'm not assuming he's a chronic crackhead, I just don't believe for a second that he's only done it once.

March 4, 2014 @ 10:25 AM

McNulty

@ Argie..

None of the things I said are allegations.

He admitted to the crack use.
He admitted to the DUI.
He wrote a letter of reference for Douglas Sedgewick, a convicted murderer.
He has lied.
He voted against things in council that even Doug voted in favour of. The 40-1 vote for improving fire detectors in Senior's homes?
All my points are factual. He can come at me.

March 4, 2014 @ 10:30 AM

Justin

@McNulty

Absolutely I'd rather have a "crack smoking, drunk driving, friend of murders & drug dealers, liar and contraian mayor" than David Miller. Hell, I'd rather have Ford over John Tory.

Ford's antics don't affect me in any way. He should be rightly held in contempt by the public for his drinking and drug use, but those sideshows don't affect my life or my bottom line. His policies do, and I'm a big supporter of his policies. Miller and Tory are respectable people but they'd raise taxes and I'm not interested in that.

March 4, 2014 @ 10:37 AM

Amen, Justin.

Like I've stated several times if Ford is convicted of corruption of any kind, boot his ass out. Until then his crazy-ass behavior only effects him and his family.

The last thing this city needs is a another politician (i.e. a person who is malleable and governed by polls) like Tory.

March 4, 2014 @ 10:46 AM

Ben Vidal

It's a crazy world we live in where people think we can never raise taxes. Toronto has some of the lowest taxes around and continually complains about what they do pay. Someone of the people here should have a sit down with Pennachetti who can tell you have full of shit Rob Ford is when it comes to his claims about the financial state of the city before and after he took over.

Nobody seems to care when business' raise the cost of their goods, but heaven forbid there be a raise in the cost of living outside of that. Everyone wants government to run like a business, well business' are constantly raising cost of goods. Anyone who says it's exchange rate right now is half full of shit. I've watched and been a part of a CPG company that raises cost of goods because retailers had too many financial asks the year before and a bunch of people got promoted.

That's ok to raise the cost of goods because it's not your taxes, just your hard earned cash after taxes.

Your logic is astounding Justin. Especially when you look at infrastructure. The greatest advances north america saw in infrastructure came on the backs of raising taxes to implement these things. It's impossible to get more out of a city or fix things with a finite amount of money.

Do politicians waste money at times on useless things. Of course they do. Is it annoying and unacceptable of course it is. On the flip side the private sector that is so adored wastes money hand over fist on a regular basis. Look to BBM, McDonalds years ago came up with a global system they spent millions on and just decided to scrap. Companies have failed product launches, failed ventures into other aspects of business. If you or anyone here thinks that the average joe doesn't see the affect of stupid decisions by business then they are completely out to lunch.

No one is interested in raised taxes, just like no one is interested in a root canal or a prostate check. Unfortunately sometimes you can't go through life without having it.

March 4, 2014 @ 10:54 AM

McNulty

@ Justin

Got it. Ford never wastes money. Everyone else does. His antics don't affect anyone. Right. So as Mayor, who is against crime, it's okay if he's supporting those same criminals?

This is what is wrong with society. As long as it doesn't affect my wallet, then I'm fine.

So it's self-interested people like Justin and Argie that support criminals, as long as they don't rob from me, that's okay.

March 4, 2014 @ 10:56 AM

Lorne

I think Jimmy could learn a lesson or two from Craig Ferguson when it comes to exploiting those with mental illness and substance abuse for entertainment.

March 4, 2014 @ 10:56 AM

McNulty

@ Argie

As usual you never respond to anything when your comments are proven to be completely stupid or false.

March 4, 2014 @ 10:58 AM

@McNulty
"as long as they don't rob from me, that's okay."

I guess we're no better than those people who say, "I would never abort my baby but who am I to stop someone else from killing their child." Right?

March 4, 2014 @ 11:06 AM

Ben Vidal

Awesome comparison Argie.......

March 4, 2014 @ 11:15 AM

McNulty

Yes, Argie. It's exactly the same thing.

Of course you use an analogy (albeit a crazy one) that shows that other people do it too rather than respond to the question. It's the usual response when someone doesn't have a good answer.

Ford is bad...but look at the money Miller spent!
The senate is bad but look at what McGuinty did!
I know I robbed that bank but look at what Putin is doing! That's way worse now let me have my money.

---
And to your direct comment... it's a woman's body and the fetus is not killing a baby. So as usual your comparison is used for shock value and deflection.

March 4, 2014 @ 11:22 AM

rob just staring
at them with with
his beady little
eyes

March 4, 2014 @ 11:27 AM

@McNulty
How is this supposed to end? You keep at me, I defend myself, then you come back again.

I'll let you win this time, OK. Enjoy your day in the basement. Your wife sends her regards - oops I meant your ex-wife.

March 4, 2014 @ 11:31 AM

Ben Vidal

@Argie: Much like Ford I think you take great delight in saying things that get people angry or emotional in order to generate attention. You really aren't concerned with debating things through. To McNulty's point when you come to a rock and hard place in a discussion you deflect usually with a crazy statement to obfuscate people from what you were originally talking about. i.e., your abort comment. Then when your back is truly against the wall you take up veiled insults. Is this how you approach everything in real life when you encounter someone who doesn't agree with your view?

March 4, 2014 @ 11:37 AM

@Ben
You're full of shit. I have to defend myself and my opinions here constantly. I admit its a low blow but McNulty has written much worse about me.

I knew the debate would end of this way. It always does with McNulty.

March 4, 2014 @ 11:40 AM

Robert South

Why do you allow argie to continue on your board? If a bag of shit, ford, and argie were all set on fire at the same time I'd only piss on the bag of shit because at least the bag of shit provides some use as fertilizer.

March 4, 2014 @ 11:48 AM

Argie

Case in point. The personal attacks continue.

Go eff yourself Robert.

March 4, 2014 @ 11:49 AM

Derrick

@Ben, I have to disagree with your comment re: Ford - I don't think he purposely says things to get people angry and emotional. I think you're giving him too much credit. All that is by accident.

I think he truly believes the many lies he tells.

March 4, 2014 @ 11:50 AM

McNulty

@ Argie

Name one thing that was worse.

You're so full of yourself. I made rationale points and your response was to avoid and then attack me personally? Really, bringing up that I am going through a divorce is rational discourse?

And for your information, she took the basement. So I can't post from there anymore.

March 4, 2014 @ 12:00 PM

@McNulty
My apologies. Can we just end this debate?

There are more important things to argue/debate about.

March 4, 2014 @ 12:05 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

As Ben Vidal, Argie and McNulty continue their lurid three-way, can I ask if anyone read my story.
I mean, yes, it was tongue in cheek, but isn't this what we outsiders are supposed to envision when posters talk of the shame, the embarrassment, the shear incredulity of the plague known as Rob Ford?

Not even one snarky remark?
I must be slipping.

March 4, 2014 @ 12:45 PM

@Nigel
It was brilliant, as usual.

March 4, 2014 @ 1:01 PM

Ben Vidal

@Nigel: Generally speaking I think you have a higher view of yourself in the comedy department than you should. The first post in a long time that had any humor was the one asking liz if her husband should play hockey Thursdays. Otherwise the post today wasn't funny.

If you have to ask people for recognition your audience didn't find it funny.

I don't know what lurid three-way you are speaking of. As I see it after Argie's last post he's stroking something for you and it isn't your ego.

March 4, 2014 @ 2:18 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

@Ben Vidal,
It wasn't meant to be funny sir.
It was merely a fable, a folk tale, perhaps a little social commentary on a situation that has little or no relevance in the day to day world of we common folk.
The fact that you saw no humour in it, tells me that there may be hope for you yet.
And yes, I didn't get the reaction that I was hoping for but I'm sure that's only because others were busy being embarrassed for Toronto.

March 4, 2014 @ 2:52 PM

Corey

@Nigel -

I just got around to reading your story, after calming down about Moscow Mike censoring dissenting comments. It was perfect. Despite Dour Ben's judgement, I actually laughed out loud, especially at the description of the scene in the coffee shop. Well-crafted satire that skewered the angsty hand-wringers who are "humiliated" by Ford's behaviour. That's why they don't find it humourous.

March 4, 2014 @ 8:33 PM

Argie

"Moscow Mike" - I love it!

March 4, 2014 @ 9:36 PM

this guest

markosaar that is a charming image

I'm going to predict Ford
gets 10% support
in the election

maybe as low
as 7

March 5, 2014 @ 12:14 AM

Corey

@markosaar -

Were you just itching to use that gif, or is there actually a point?

March 5, 2014 @ 6:56 AM