Open Mikes: Friday Only

Open Mikes: Friday OnlyOpen Mikes used to only be posted on Fridays. The idea was to create an open forum for people to discuss whatever they wanted. I envisioned a hivemind for queries, life hacks and respectful and intelligent discussion.

At some point, someone suggested a second Open Mike. That's when I introduced the Tuesday Open Mike.

Although there are still some interesting discussions in the Open Mikes, I can barely stand what they've become. If I'm bored and aggravated by them, I can't imagine what others think. A typical Open Mike devolves into "Ford is the best and Olivia Chow is horrible" and vice versa. Everything, it seems, is left or right and people just assume their positions.

I hate this left vs. right nonsense. I hate it passionately. Because I dislike Ford's politics and approach and bike I've been labelled a "lefty". These labels serve to do nothing more than divide and stigmatize. These labels are a big fat negative.

I'm thinking of returning to just hosting the Open Mike on Fridays. Unless you can convince me otherwise, I don't see the value of two Open Mikes a week.

markosaar

I like having the two because when you used to post just one, it would often fall off the front page and the discussion would get scattered and/or lost. Which might be preferable to you.

Cutting it in half isn't going to fix what you find fundamentally broken with them.

March 19, 2014 @ 1:51 PM

@markosaar

That's just it, they are broken. At least I think they are.

There's a reason I don't read Youtube comments...

March 19, 2014 @ 1:52 PM

Argie

I love Open Mikes. The more the merrier!

March 19, 2014 @ 1:56 PM

Jono formerly of Toronto

I'm in favour of this. I pick up all your posts on my RSS reader, but never click through to the Open Mike ones. The signal to noise ratio in the comments there is terrible.

I consider all of the open mike posts noise on my reader screen - so removing half of those will enhance the ratio of the site posts also.

March 19, 2014 @ 2:00 PM

Andrew

Too be honest I really don't follow along that much on the Tuesday or Friday Open Mic's - mostly for all the reasons you state above.

A lot of the time they devolve into games of ping-pong and I then I get visions of Forrest Gump. Not good.

I won't be un-happy or happy if you leave them or get rid of them.

I do agree with @Marosaar - if you do leave the Friday one, make sure you have a way to leave it on the main page so people can still find it, especially if it's a busy post week.

Cheers,
Andrew

March 19, 2014 @ 2:03 PM

I currently show the most recent 10 entries on the home page.

After that, you've got to get it from http://www.torontomike.com/archives.html.

All Open Mikes, by the way, are on this page: http://www.torontomike.com/open_mike/

March 19, 2014 @ 2:08 PM

Corey

So start having "Politics Free Open Mikes" and have a zero tolerance policy regarding politically charged posts. Delete them. It might mean you have to do a bit of curation initially, but if enforce a 3 strikes policy for people who insist on going thee, your problem will be solved pretty quickly. Remember the old saying about not discussing religion or politics at dinner parties? This is the reason.

March 19, 2014 @ 2:31 PM

lightly sing

self - curation

March 19, 2014 @ 2:38 PM

markosaar

@Corey,

I like it.

Some might call it "boring", but it's not Mike's job to keep them entertained.

March 19, 2014 @ 2:39 PM

519 Rob

Mike,
I agree with Jono and Andrew.
I rarely read them.

I suppose that as a 519 guy, TO politics does little to interest me. But mostly, I don't care for the name calling and BS.

But I do like Corey's idea. Why don't you try that this Friday.
Absolutely 0 politics.

Rob

March 19, 2014 @ 2:41 PM

Philly-Bob

I'm with Corey on this one

March 19, 2014 @ 2:43 PM

Argie

So no more discussions on politics, religion...

OK, what does that leave? Sports (sure), entertainment (OK), and how cold it is and whether Indie 88 is worth listening to or not (God help us).

March 19, 2014 @ 2:45 PM

Argie

How are the Ford bashers going to cope with no outlet? Unless, of course, Mike makes an exception for those types.

March 19, 2014 @ 2:46 PM

Speysidephil

No politics , no religion,
Doesn't leave much else to get excited about.
Pretty sad day for open mikes if it happens.

March 19, 2014 @ 2:54 PM

Ben Vidal

I think if you start to limit the conversation it will require extra up keep for Mike.

If you have 1 open mike a week or 7 I think the discussion may head the same direction regardless.

I do think there are some interesting conversations that go on when you cut through some of the noise.

I know I've had my fair share of getting involved in arguments that are politically motivated, but other times I've had entertaining conversations the grocery divider, maintaining freshness of raspberries, my raccoon problem.

I'm worried what Cheryl will do with less open mikes to post in. Without any sarcasm I get a kick out of most of them now.

I really think what encapsulates the problem is the person who just posted twice in a row whose name starts with an A. I think my problem and perhaps some others here is not getting involved in it from the onset and leaving it be. Also taking the time to realize that in the end nothing will get resolved.

It's going to be hard I think mike not to have anything politically motivated appear over the course of the next 7 months and potentially long after. If Ford loses I think a lot of the fodder will disappear. If he wins well we know it will be a constant circus in the media and at city hall.

Ultimately it's your blog and your side project if what goes on here makes you hate it or not enjoy then cut it. This is one of the remaining blog sites I visit. I won't stop coming if you eliminate one open mike. I do however enjoy the ability to have the two times to discuss and watch discussion happen.

March 19, 2014 @ 2:59 PM

Philly-Bob

@ this guest - a sing-a-long, I love it!!!

Lisa, her teeth are big and green
Lisa, she smells like gasoline
Lisa..ba-da-da Lisa
She is my sis-TA her birthday
i missed-a

March 19, 2014 @ 3:01 PM

this guest

Lisa needs a gift
or she might be miffed
perhaps
red wine

please find the
time

:-)

March 19, 2014 @ 3:06 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

Maybe municipal politics is the issue. Mind you it's not really politics if you're only discussing personalities and not discussing policy.

Lots to discuss on the provincial and federal levels, so I'd hate to see an outright ban on politics.

I tend to get my religious perspective from Bill Maher on Friday nights, so I don't really care if it's left off of your page, but again I'd hate to see you have to censor, ban (what's the right term here?) it because of one or two zealots. Good quote I'm sure everybody's heard,

"Religion is like a penis. It's fine to have one and it's fine to be proud of it, but please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around."

There has been a noticeably decline in the quality of discourse here recently, propagated by narrow minded world views by both sides, and an inability to make light of any posts that might challenge ones' steadfast beliefs. Plenty of typing, but not a lot of thinking behind it.
Your call Mike but be careful what you wish for.....

March 19, 2014 @ 3:11 PM

Argie

If people want to blame me, go ahead. The issue of whether to eliminate an Open Mike never came up when every other commenter was slamming Ford for something he did, said or might have did or said.

Now that the right have the gift that is Olivia Chow, the conservative crowd goes after this low hanging fruit so NOW there's a problem???

Right wingers were constantly attacked when they defended Ford. It wasn't enough for the haters to attack Ford but they went after anyone who had the nerve to question the validity of their attacks. You remember the attacks? (We were just bunch of uneducated yahoos living in the burbs..etc).

The double standard is obvious - perhaps not to those who only see things they want to see.

So like I said, go ahead and attack me and ban all mention of politics. It will be kind of ironic though when all one has to do is glance over to the right of this screen and see Mike's anti-Ford tweets or re-tweets (from the usual suspects).

March 19, 2014 @ 3:13 PM

I'm not about to ban a subject matter from an Open Mike. It's really anything goes so long as you don't trash someone for:

the colour of their skin
their gender
their sexual preference

I wouldn't ban politics because I don't feel like policing an Open Mike. I'd rather cut it back to one a week and see how that plays for a while.

And Argie, if you really think this is a right vs. left thing or because I don't like people disagreeing with me, you couldn't be further off base. This has nothing to do with your opinions.

March 19, 2014 @ 3:30 PM

Speysidephil

Argie:
The double standard is painfully obvious.

March 19, 2014 @ 3:31 PM

519 Rob

One other point has occurred to me, and sorry Mike, but I am going to play devils advocate a bit.

You sort of bring it on your self.

Your tweet a little while ago "Only 222 days until this bozo is out of office" only fuels the fire. I get that there is a difference between your personal tweets and the contents of an open Mike, but, 'those that choose to oppose' know how to get a rise.

I'll end with this.
If you're tired of the BS, pull the plug.
This blog is a hobby, not your job.

Rob

March 19, 2014 @ 3:39 PM

Lorne

I believe they were first suggested by Stephanie back in April 2013. I could have sworn I posted something along the lines of "It'll be too much and will dilute the brand", but that just my be my brain playing tricks.

Regardless, it is good to not have the OMs fall off the homepage. I don't have access to your analytics, but I would hazard a guess that only a vanishingly small number of users have ever even clicked the "Archives" link, let alone gone hunting for entries. (Podcast may be the exception).

I enjoy commenting on your blog, but do admit the constant vitriol and divisive trolling the goes on is tiring. I can't imagine what it's like for you to have to patrol it. And you shouldn't have to ban a topic (and police it) either. It's completely the opposite of what you want for an Open Mike.

Which is why I ask the community here-- again-- can we all just please do our part to clean up the trash and crap that gets spewed all across the blog twice a week? You know who the shit disturbers are. You know what they'll say, when they'll say it, and how they will respond if you try to argue or reason with them. Please, please, PLEASE for the love of the community, just-- stop-- engaging those posters. Let it go. Post something else. Talk about something else. Anything. But when it comes to divisive hate and pointless bickering, please DON'T RESPOND!

PS: I will stand by my original opinion that you should just do two at once on Friday. =)

March 19, 2014 @ 3:39 PM

In the past, there have been a couple of commenters who I literally banned because they were ruining the site. Argie's *this* close to becoming the second.

March 19, 2014 @ 3:42 PM

Jamie

@Mike

Agree 100% with the above^

He's just a shit disturber who seeks attention.

March 19, 2014 @ 3:52 PM

Argie

All I'll say is that I've never initiated a personal attack on anyone. In almost all cases I will criticize a politician, or a public figure or a terrorist organization, another person will then attack me personally for my opinion and I respond in kind. Or more recently, someone attacks Ford and I question the validity of the attack and I'm then attacked.

If I've ever initiated a personal attack on someone here, I apologize. I don't remember it ever happening.

If everyone follows common decency and refute the opinion, rather than attack the commenter, this blog will be fine.

When people attack my intelligence or accuse me of being something I'm not, I will respond. Its that simple.

March 19, 2014 @ 3:57 PM

Philly-Bob

I'll be the first to admit, I participate in the vitriol from time to time. However, when McNulty (who to the best of my knowledge I've never had an issue with) is agreeing with the idea that i need to calm down, it think i might need to re-asses how I'm portraying myself. No one who knows me in the "real world" would accuse me of being a hot head, so yeah...I'm staying outta politics and religion on here, it's just not worth it.

As far as the concept of banning Argie goes....to me that's getting dagerously close to the "only speak with those who agree" mentality that so many of us bash Ford for.

I for one would vote against it, but I would also suggest to Mr. Argie that, much as I'm doing, maybe he needs to re evaluate the way he is portraying himself on here.

March 19, 2014 @ 4:02 PM

Ghost Whisper

"The more I think about it, the more I think 80% of the problem would be solved if I just banned Argie from commenting on my site."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Christmas hath come early

March 19, 2014 @ 4:02 PM

Argie

And yet the personal attacks on me continue - but ban me. OK.

March 19, 2014 @ 4:05 PM

Corey

@lorne - asking people to clean up the vitriol is pointless. People are passionate about politics, often unreasonably. In real life, people literally stop talking to neighbours or have a low opinion of coworkers if the discover their on the opposite side of the political spectrum. Add the anonymity of the internet and it's exponentially worse.

@Mike - I don't understand how reducing the frequency of the Open Mikes could be a solution. The only thing that will do is decrease your own exposure to the comments, but don't expect the content to change.

March 19, 2014 @ 4:06 PM

4x4 Time

I admit I have been coming to the site less often because of the constant game of ping pong insult but I would like to still see two open forums, and hopefully we can state some issues and debate with reason and not insult.

March 19, 2014 @ 4:06 PM

@Corey

It's not a solution, it merely cuts the aggravation to me in half.

The only solution is to ban Argie.

March 19, 2014 @ 4:07 PM

McNulty

Argie is a liar.

Look back and see how many personal attacks he has started.

He claims he doesn't but we can go back a few weeks and see the evidence for itself.

He lights a fire and complains about the smoke. He throws the first punch and then whines that someone strikes back.
He avoids any direct proof that's he's wrong and will evade the questions.

You've said it before, Mike. Argie wants to watch the world burn. He takes enjoyment watching people he dislikes crumble and be in pain.

I know some people think it's an unfair attack but ask Mike what comments he has deleted over the years.

He's a troll.

Open Mikes can have good political discourse. I disagree with Corey a lot but he has a point of view and defends it without attacking or purposely trying to enrage.

And the whole "lefty" thing is annoying. I don't see anyone calling someone a "righty".

March 19, 2014 @ 4:37 PM

Lorne

@Mike: There's a huge difference between banning a troublemaker, and being, as Philly-Bob rightfully points out, being a "only speak with those who agree" thing.

I think the difference is in the sheer amount of patience, doubt and time you've given him. It's not like you drop the ban hammer on anyone the first time they say Ford is a good politician, or that cars are better than bikes, or HABS!

I've seen you in the comments. You've tried to point out why his behaviour is disruptive. He doesn't listen. He attacks and insults other guests, and when told not to, he doesn't listen. He has had comments deleted for hateful, borderline illegal speech. From what I understand you've even had private conversations with him about this, about your concerns, about your expectations.

And still-- every single post, there he is, causing shit, insulting people, being a textbook asshole. If it's deliberate, he should have been gone a long time ago. If he truly doesn't understand why his antisocial behaviour is wrong, then my god man-- you've put in literally HOURS trying to identify and correct it. He's hopeless. You tried, way more than any webmaster would.

Let me put it to you this way. We all know you wouldn't put up with the crap he spews if he was a stranger in line at Timmies with you. If he was someone's +1 at a party you were throwing, you wouldn't put up with it. All of that is obvious enough. But let me ask you this...

Think about your brother for a second. Your brother, who you love and hold in respect and was part of your wedding. He is the person you would probably give THEM most leniency to in the entire world. If he suddenly and consistently starting behaving like Argie-- like, he was at your house, around your wife and kids-- and was talking like this. All the time. And wouldn't change, no matter how many "asides" you had with him. Your brother. Would you ask him to leave your house?

Because if you couldn't put up with that from the people you love the most, what the hell do you owe this random troll from the Internet who is intent on being a jerk?

March 19, 2014 @ 4:38 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

The quality of mercy is not strained.
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blessed:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.
-Shakespeare-

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire-

Smarter men than you or I have tackled this kind of thing in the past.

Leniency, mercy, clemency...for all his transgressions. I mean we don't want to start a "Free Argie" movement or an "Occupy Toronto Mike" kind of thing do we?

March 19, 2014 @ 4:40 PM

Jason from Sudbury

I for the most part don't like the idea of banning people except in extreme cases. Like 40OZ crew for example. Oh and can't forget Dave Williams.
Having said that I don't believe Argie should be banned. Just like I thought Irvine shouldn't have been banned. Do they sometimes cross the line, probably. I personally have never been offended by anything they have posted, or at least the posts I have seen.

Just because I may not agree with what a person says or does doesn't mean they should be banned. Just my 2 cents...wait, no more pennies. So 5 cents now lol.

March 19, 2014 @ 4:41 PM

Lyle Lanley

Well said, Lorne.

Sometimes, to heal the body, you need to cut the cancer out.

Ban Argie.

March 19, 2014 @ 4:50 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

@Lorne,
I don't think the textbook asshole, random troll or jerk descriptors really help your case re: attacking and insulting other guests.
Less is more, more or less.

Try this,

" He is disruptive and I don't think you should allow him to continue to contribute to your site."

easy peesy.

March 19, 2014 @ 4:52 PM

Corey

Argie's been here a long time. Mike has said he's deleted a handful of comments since he started his site, and only a couple were Argie's. The rhetoric has been ramped up since the Rob Ford crack video and now especially with the campaigns kicking off. Mike is extremely passionate about Ford and anxious to be rid of of him. I think the pro-Ford, anti-Chow comments irritate Mike to the point where he doesn't want to entertain them any longer. In other words, if there was no election to talk about, Mikes tolerance threshold for Argie would be at normal levels, but this topic pushes it into the red zone.

March 19, 2014 @ 5:20 PM

Glen

The problem is there will likely be a spring election in Ontario in 2014, a definite fall municipal election in Toronto not to mention a federal election in 2015. Politics will be everywhere. You won't be able to avoid the typical righty vs lefty debates on these open forums.

Open Mike is lively and entertaining because of Argie and those who disagree with him. It's never boring.

Don't ban him, Mike. Just start drinking more.

March 19, 2014 @ 5:36 PM

dale

I've been on Toronto Mike's site for many years & my input has been less with people like Argie. I follow but don't comment as much because of the "trollers" who keep bashing each other, the same people always.

@Mike - once a week Open Mike on Fridays & censor the comments.

@ Argie - do you have a real job or is Mike's Blog your job to try to make a statement with your views. Everyone is sick & tired of reading your comments as same old same old. GET A LIFE & LIVE IT.

March 19, 2014 @ 7:34 PM

Wayner

It’s called "Open Mike". Whether its once or week or twice a week you will still experience the same issues. If it’s come to the point that you can no longer tolerate your own blog than it not worth having an Open Mike at all. If it’s no longer fun...it becomes work.

On a personal note I enjoy the Open Mike on both days and as others have said I enjoy the battles between the posters…they make my day. But its not my blog.

March 19, 2014 @ 7:34 PM

Larry

Can you bring back Irvine too?

March 19, 2014 @ 7:57 PM

Out West

"...the labels are a big fat negative"

I got to know if that was intentional punniness

If so, literary brilliance!

March 19, 2014 @ 8:43 PM

Steve

The last thing I would want here is everyone praising vanilla ice cream.
I enjoy Open Mike. I don't agree that Argie should be banned.
The point of any interesting discussion should be contrasting views with informative information and opinion, along with personal experience.
Open Mike understandably revolves around current events. Toronto politics and more specifically it's politicians (ie the Mayor) are in the news on a daily basis. I'm not sure I understand Mike's regret in a passionate left - right discussion when commenters are debating transit, taxes, municipal budgets or bike lanes if these are the things that are in the news any given week. Unless you are really just looking for commenters who share your views I'm not quite sure why you would want to end Open Mike or more specifically ban Argie.
Mike, I discovered your site because of the interests we have in common. I keep coming back to your site because of the contrasting contributions your readers bring to it. I agree you should not tolerate attacks based on
the colour of their skin
their gender
their sexual preference.
Allowing comments gives others a voice. A chance to express themselves in a forum that you provide them. Don't silence them. Encourage them.

March 19, 2014 @ 9:13 PM

Stephanie

I agree with Mike, and I think I may have been part of the beginning of the Tuesday Open-Mike because I used to think of things early in the week. But, like so many others, I got tired of the same-old stuff. Sometimes I'd jump in and take a peek but it has got to the point now that I don't even bother an only if I happen to swing by.

I'm with you either way but I'd prefer discussions that were not what has been kicked around for the more recent times.

March 19, 2014 @ 9:17 PM

twins from bolton

Open Mike Friday only. Too much same old comments.

@Argie - MOVE ON LOSER.

March 19, 2014 @ 9:54 PM

Rick C in Oakville

I enjoy them both, but finding the time to scroll through 75 to a 100 back and forth arguments gets a bit wearing. Stephanie's original suggestion still rings true for me. By Friday I have forgotten something i could have posted Tuesday. I guess it's an age thing !

March 19, 2014 @ 10:05 PM

Corey

Steve's comment. Amen.

March 19, 2014 @ 10:24 PM

markosaar

Welp. Going to eat a little bit of crow and take a break from ignoring Argie.

He's a shitty omnipresent voice on this blog. I don't like his opinions, but that's not my problem. It's the constant drone of him repeating his unquestioning beliefs at every opportunity, and not addressing the criticism head-on. He doesn't play fair.

The worst part is that whenever people do nail him down to explain one of his core tenants, he starts playing the victim card. For someone that likes to act so macho, dear lord grow a thicker skin. He loves to mock "lefties", gay people, whatever, for acting like they're bullied, and then constantly plays the same card himself. I'd be happy to engage Argie here if he didn't keep spouting the same blather without addressing the points people make refuting him.

As it stands, he appears too set in his ways to bother engaging. It's like arguing with a 100 year old grandparent: too far gone to bother taking seriously.

The only reason I'd want him gone is that he sounds like a broken record. Who needs to hear that shit endlessly?

I would argue the same way against people who argue against Argie, but the way I see it here, most try different tacts. He just ignores anything that hits his core assumptions and picks some irrelevant aspect to reply with, if he deigns himself to acknowledge it at all. Over and over. He seems to have the most inflexible view of the world here and is insufferable about it.

I personally think he just does it to get a rise out of people which is why I've chosen to ignore him, and along with Lorne, wish others would do so too.

March 19, 2014 @ 10:46 PM

Rob

If Argie is banned I'd likely stop reading the Open Mikes and just come here for radio news.

Disagree with the guy all the time but he doesn't do anything in my opinion worth a ban.

March 20, 2014 @ 8:21 AM

James Edgar

Mike I don't comment much but i do love to read. Open Mike is fun and annoying as hell often in the space of a few posts . Having more than one works for me.

BUT I've always thought of Toronto Mike (or anyones personal web space) as YOURS. Respecting your rules and wishes is just common courtesy ,no more than i would do than if I visited your home. You ask me to take off my shoes i do so. I hate your furniture i keep it to myself. Etc. Most humans do that.

But of course not everyone does. And the internet and forums like this bring out the worst. Argie is arguably a troll. There are a few others. But he's the best. Or worst I guess.

He does get people excited though and some of the answers that his trolling elicits from others are interesting and insightful.So I'd say don't ban him.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ban him if it makes you more comfortable in your Home. Cut the OM if that makes you more comfortable.

Just do what is going to work for YOU.

March 20, 2014 @ 9:04 AM

Argie and I are chatting via email... he's not banned, but he's promised to modify his behaviour.

Last chance, Argie.

March 20, 2014 @ 9:43 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

Is there an accepted definition of what an internet "troll" is?
Most references here seem rather subjective(influenced by personal feelings, tastes, opinions,etc.).

T.O. Mike called me a troll during one discussion. I didn't think I was a troll but I took offence regardless, without knowing the true meaning of the term.

So when the term is tossed out there, I want to be sure I'm reading it in the proper context.
Can anybody help a brother out?
thanks

March 20, 2014 @ 10:06 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Nigel

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally[3][4] or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[6]

And no, I don't think you fall into this category.....

March 20, 2014 @ 10:09 AM

Glen

@Nigel

My definition of a troll is someone who makes an outrageous comment on a message board merely to provoke response. You take pleasure in the carnage your comments elicits.

March 20, 2014 @ 10:18 AM

Ben Vidal

Glen when you say "you take pleasure in the carnage your comments elicits" was that part of the definition or was that directed at Nigel?

March 20, 2014 @ 10:29 AM

Glen

@Ben

I should have wrote "The troll takes pleasure in the carnage their comment elicits".

I apologize for the confusion.

March 20, 2014 @ 10:37 AM

Sammi

I hate the term 'troll' especially how it is used to try and shut someone down if they don't like the comment.

I would argue that everyone is a troll. Why else do people post comments if not to be noticed or elicit a response?

March 20, 2014 @ 10:41 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

@Philly-Bob
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't overly concerned about my personal status on this site, but I'm sure there are one or two out there that would gladly hang the "troll" moniker on me.
Using this as the baseline for troll status, one could make the argument that Argie(soon to be referred to as "the evil whose name we dare not speak"), would not be the only poster here who has attained the rank of troll.

From the Urban Dictionary,
Troll:
One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevence to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue.

Interesting.

March 20, 2014 @ 10:44 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Nigel - I think the "troll" moniker comes into play when you make statements designed to illicit a response, but add nothing more to the conversation.

One could make the case (I've stated it many times) that when asked to defend his views, Argie deflects the question. That would be an instance where he participates in "troll-like behaviour".

Simply making a statement that is contrary to the opinions expressed is not enough to be labelled a troll...for me, it's a lock of follow through. If these are your beliefs then defend them, Argie's habit is to say "okay, Ford does "x" but why isn't anyone talking about what Wynne does?"

If you want to have a discussion about the failings of the Ontario Liberal Party, I'm game, there are many to choose from, but if we're discussing the failures of Ford, what does Wynne have to do with it?

March 20, 2014 @ 11:18 AM

Corey

Behaviour modification! Be a good boy, Argie.

March 20, 2014 @ 11:24 AM

Speysidephil

The definitions are all to vague and open to individual interpretation.
If this is what posting a comment has come to, count me out.
Nice while it lasted.

March 20, 2014 @ 11:34 AM

markosaar

"Screw you guys, I'm going home."

March 20, 2014 @ 11:37 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

@Speyside Phil,
I think that was my point.
@Markosaar,
We'll miss ya.

March 20, 2014 @ 12:00 PM

Gump

@Mike

Try banning Argie 1st, then see how the 2 Open Mikes a week go.
If they still 'suck', then go down to 1 Open Mike.

It used to be fun coming to this blog, but it's been going downhill for awhile now.

March 20, 2014 @ 12:08 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

@ Gump
Care to elaborate on said decline?
How was it fun before?
How is it not fun now?
It's not really fair to Mike and the participants to make a blanket statement like that without offering up something to back it up.
If we are to make it the giggle-fest you pine for, you have to give us something to work with.

March 20, 2014 @ 12:42 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Speyside - I'd prefer you didn't cash out. You and I are often on opposite sides of a discussion, but you bring an honest opinion, which you usually back up when questioned on...stick around brother!

March 20, 2014 @ 1:19 PM

Philly-Bob

Fred Phelps Sr. Has Died!!!!

May you rot in piece you horrible excuse for a human being.

He died telling everyone he was doing God's work...I'll bet he's somewhere south of Heaven right now.....

March 20, 2014 @ 2:46 PM

Corey

@Phil

"It's a little bit safer to be Homosexual/Muslim/Anything but white and Christian in North America today"

I think you're exaggerating this guy's sphere of influence with this statement. Beyond the whackos in his immediate family I doubt any one took him seriously.

March 20, 2014 @ 5:27 PM

Philly-Bob

He's got a whole cult around him who protest at military funerals, incite hate crimes, blockade gay weddings in states where they are legal....

Honestly Corey this man was one of the worst of us...

March 20, 2014 @ 6:12 PM

Cheryl

I like the open mikes. I like commenting, but it's your blog, so do what you have to do. Maybe have an invitation only forum where users need passwords and give everyone you want on a password and if you don't want others on, then don't give them any passwords.

March 20, 2014 @ 6:14 PM

Corey

@Phil -

I know who he was. Westboro has about 40 members, most of them are related. They're not affiliated with any legitimate church. They condemn Catholicism too - in fact they condemn any brand of Christianity that doesn't adhere to their own twisted beliefs - which means everyone. Interestingly, they are both anti-violent, and anti-racism. This in no way is to defend anything about them - they're obviously despicable, but that's kind of my point. They're a tiny sect that no one would know anything about if the media wasn't exploiting their acts. No one is "safer" just cause this nutjob croaked.

March 20, 2014 @ 7:52 PM

Lorne

@Corey: "They're a tiny sect that no one would know anything about if the media wasn't exploiting their acts."

This can't be said enough. My above and elsewhere comments about "STOP RESPONDING" apply for these guys too.

Not because they're a cult, or a sect, or a religious group, or any of those reasons.

Because they're a business model.

1) (legally) protest something controversial.
2) Get someone to react emotionally by kick you out / throw a punch.
3) Sue them for violating your civil rights.

That's it. That is the entire reason those shitheads exist and do what they do.

So again, ignore idiots like that. Don't react, don't response. Their business model dies, and they just end up going broke. And looking like assholes at the same time.

March 20, 2014 @ 9:29 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Corey - That cements it for me man, if I said the sky was blue you'd find fault with it. Any time I say anything on here, you've got to take a dig.

How can you be anything but happy that this piece of shit is dead?

March 21, 2014 @ 8:41 AM

Corey

@Phil -

Uh oh. The overly-sensitive Phil is back. I don't actually reply directly to you that often Phil, so your claim that "anytime you say anything" I respond with a dig is ridiculous.
How the fuck did I leave you with the impression that I'm anything but happy Phelps is dead? I was merely pointing out that the media sensationalizes stories like the Westboro group unnecessarily, and look at the result - you think they're this big organized cult that endangered the lives of anyone who wasn't white and Christian. The unfortunate sate of news reporting today is that they focus more on the sensational since revenues are dwindling. Lorne got it - why is it so hard for you?

March 21, 2014 @ 10:18 AM

Cheryl

My Habs lost last night, but my Coyotes won so I got a win. My Habs will win tomorrow over the Leafs. That will be great.

March 21, 2014 @ 11:00 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Corey -

1) Go back and look dude, pretty much anytime I post, you have something negative to say...not sensitive, just fact.

2) I'd say the fact that George Bush had to pass new laws to keep these assholes from protesting near military funerals, and Obama had to make the conditions of said laws even harsher last year, says these guys were more than a minor annoyance.

However, in the spirit of not participating in the vitriol here, I will just wish you a good day and move on with my life..

March 21, 2014 @ 11:06 AM

Corey

@ Phil

Oh, I love a challenge. Guess what? I checked. The last time I replied to you was in the "Pulse Check: Who Should Be Mayor" from March 12, after your little freak out. Since then, two Open Mikes. Over a dozen other topics. Something like 30 comments from you. I didn't reply to a single one. So you can drop the persecution schtick. I wasn't rude, I provided a different perspective. You interpret that as "negative". What, am I just supposed to say, "Awesome, Phil!" no matter what I think? You are thin skinned and overly sensitive.

March 21, 2014 @ 11:41 AM