My 2014 Oscar Picks

My 2014 Oscar PicksBelow are my Oscar predictions for 2014. Feel free to disagree in the comments.

For only the second time ever, I've actually seen all the movies nominated for best picture. And last time I did that, there were only five nominations.

Best Picture: 12 Years a Slave
Best Director: Steve McQueen for 12 Years a Slave
Best Actor: Matthew McConaughey for Dallas Buyers Club
Best Actress: Cate Blanchett for Blue Jasmine
Best Supporting Actor: Jared Leto for Dallas Buyers Club
Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Lawrence for American Hustle
Best Original Screenplay: American Hustle: Eric Warren Singer, David O. Russell
Best Adapted Screenplay: The Wolf of Wall Street: Terence Winter
Best Animated Feature Film: Frozen
Best Foreign Language Film: The Hunt: Thomas Vinterberg(Denmark)
Cinematography: Gravity: Emmanuel Lubezki
Editing: Gravity: Alfonso CuarĂ³n, Mark Sanger
Production Design: Gravity
Costume Design: 12 Years a Slave: Patricia Norris
Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Dallas Buyers Club: Adruitha Lee, Robin Mathews
Original Score: Her: William Butler, Andy Koyama
Original Song: Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom: Bono, Adam Clayton, The Edge, Larry Mullen Jr., Brian Burton ("Ordinary Love")
Best Sound Mixing: Gravity: Skip Lievsay, Niv Adiri, Christopher Benstead, Chris Munro
Best Sound Editing: Gravity: Glenn Freemantle
Best Visual Effects: Gravity: Timothy Webber, Chris Lawrence, David Shirk, Neil Corbould
Best Documentary Feature: Dirty Wars: Rick Rowley, Jeremy Scahill
Best Documentary Short: Karama Has No Walls: Sara Ishaq
Best Animated Short: Possessions: Shuhei Morita
Best Live Action Short: Just Before Losing Everything: Xavier Legrand

andrew

Best animated short has to go to Rob Ford at Steak & Queen.

March 2, 2014 @ 2:02 PM

Cosmo

Rob "I Am Not a Celebrity" Ford? Slam dunk.

March 2, 2014 @ 4:23 PM

Corey

So uninterested. Usually I will at least pay a bit of attention, but this year the films all seem so "meh". I've only seen three of the best picture nominees (American Hustle, Gravity and Captain Philips) and I will see Wolf of Wall Street, but I don't have any interest in seeing the others, and even the three I saw didn't stay with me as anything special. It was a very bad year for movies in my opinion.

March 2, 2014 @ 8:43 PM

Boomer

@ andrew. thanks for the laugh...good one!

March 2, 2014 @ 9:53 PM

Argie

I agree with Corey's take except I did enjoy the ending of Ct Phillips.

I know everyone loves Ellen but I've always found her humour too white bread - safe and only a slight chuckle worthy. I actually missed Seth Macfarlane. Gervais would be great as an Oscar host.

March 3, 2014 @ 8:25 AM

Perogie

I wonder how the ratings from Toronto people will be tonight watching the mayor on Jimmey Kimmel live show.

March 3, 2014 @ 8:33 AM

The Oscars are a boring 4-hour circle jerk.

I watch for the communal aspect... primarily to share the "event" with my wife. The family pool now includes my kids and at least one nephew. It's just something fluffy to share.

Watching last night I actually said to my wife it's time we will never get back and it would be far better to just read a quick recap the next day and watch the 2 or so interesting moments on Youtube.

March 3, 2014 @ 8:47 AM

with members of
Pussy Riot
doing the
downward dog

March 3, 2014 @ 9:25 AM

Corey

Outside of the Best Picture category, the only other film i saw that was nominated for anything was "Blue Jasmine". Cate Blanchett was amazing - I was glad to see she was recognized for that role.

I don't even understand the format of the Oscars any more. It seems possible that a film could win Best Picture, but not even be nominated for any other major category (e.g.: Best Director, Actor/Actress, Editing, etc.). Using last night's show as an example, "Her" was nominated for Best Picture, but not for anything else of note except Screenplay. If none of the performances, or directing, or editing was worthy enough to be nominated, how does it end up with a nomination for Best Picture?

March 3, 2014 @ 9:32 AM

@Corey

Re: Her. I read somewhere that the Academy voters have a hate-on for Joaquin Phoenix because of some stuff he said about them so he's essentially black-balled. Because he was pretty good, even though I didn't love that movie.

I really liked the smaller, charming films like Nebraska and Philomena.

March 3, 2014 @ 9:38 AM