Questions for Todd Shapiro

Questions for Alan CrossI will be sitting down later this week with Todd Shapiro, formerly of the Dean Blundell Show on 102.1 the Edge. He'll be dropping by to record an episode of my podcast Toronto Mike'd, and I get an entire hour to ask him anything I want.

todd

I know what questions I'll be asking him, but I'd love to know what you would ask him. What questions would you like me to ask Todd Shapiro?

Justin

The first question should be...

Wha happened!?!?!?

February 4, 2014 @ 12:06 PM

NightDiver

Is dean invited to his wedding?? (I know this is stupid but im actually really curious, because i think the answer will be pretty telling of what happened between them at the edge!)

February 4, 2014 @ 12:12 PM

Banger

We want to know what it was like working with Dean, what their relationship is like today and what he thought of Billie.

February 4, 2014 @ 12:34 PM

Oscar

Can you ask him about the rumors that he was fired after walking in on Dean Blundell having gay sex with a Chorus Sales Rep?

February 4, 2014 @ 12:37 PM

Rob

What exactly happened when Jason was fired?

February 4, 2014 @ 12:50 PM

Alex

If he was personally conflicted about any of the content of the DBS (i.e. taking advantage of Adrian)

February 4, 2014 @ 12:54 PM

Al Reda

How did he come up with Toddy Tickles?

February 4, 2014 @ 1:06 PM

Oscar

Another question - Dean consistently let on that he had never listened to Howard Stern and that he didn't know who Opie and Anthony were.

I'm saying this is BS, but I would love to know Todd's opinion. Was dean in that much of a bubble about his competition?

February 4, 2014 @ 1:07 PM

Freddie P.

Can you tell us exactly when he'll be on so we can call him that day and have him on our show first.

February 4, 2014 @ 1:45 PM

Rob

What does he think he brings to the table hosting his own show that he didn't bring as a co host?

February 4, 2014 @ 1:49 PM

Liz

@Freddie P.

You're the best!

February 4, 2014 @ 1:51 PM

@Freddie P.

If I hear he's your guest on Thursday, I'm going to start having my suspicions!

February 4, 2014 @ 1:55 PM

Argie

There goes Liz wit her cheerleading again....

February 4, 2014 @ 1:56 PM

What's wrong with cheerleading?

February 4, 2014 @ 1:58 PM

Mookie

I'd like to know what he thought of the various Program Directors and other jocks he worked with while at the Edge.

Who was his favorite and least favorite of both, and why?

February 4, 2014 @ 2:14 PM

Liz

@Argie

Corey granted me the title and the responsibilities that go along with it. What can I do?

February 4, 2014 @ 2:26 PM

@Liz

Argie is just jealous.

February 4, 2014 @ 2:27 PM

Speysidephil

Hey Mike, Freddie P. Must be pretty rich by now, maybe he can get you to that elusive 2500.00.

February 4, 2014 @ 2:57 PM

@Speysidephil

I have $1115 to go... would be nice if Freddie P could bring that to zero in one fell swoop.

February 4, 2014 @ 2:59 PM

Max

Biggest regret (career-wise)?

February 4, 2014 @ 3:07 PM

Mark

Hey Mike,

Just curious what happened with first jason, then him.

Also, were any of the callers they had scripted? Always felt like some of their stuff was staged.

Thanks Mike!

February 4, 2014 @ 3:09 PM

Paul

What was the deal with Angry Adrian? Was that guy for real? Still keep in touch with him?

February 4, 2014 @ 3:13 PM

Jillian

Did Todd have any input about the content of the show or was it 100% Deans call?

Many times I'd hear Dean say to Todd "What's the name of the show? Shut up- it's my show" Who tells their co-host to shut up on the air??

February 4, 2014 @ 3:29 PM

Neil

I remember when I started listening to the show I thought Deans whole "my roommate" thing was just a gag. I soon realized that he was truly just an asshole. After hearing how he treated Todd and other co-workers and how he conversed/argued with people it's no wonder why his wife had enough. Todd saved that show many times as he was always the voice of reason. My question is if Todd ever got tired of dean wanting to talk about the same shit all the time. He sure knew how to beat a topic to death.

February 4, 2014 @ 3:53 PM

Matt

I'd be curious to know what its like in a day of the life for a morning radio show host.

As listeners we only get a 4-5 hour block but what goes on before and after the show? Do they have meetings before going on air or just do an intro, play some music and discuss the next bit as it comes along?

February 4, 2014 @ 4:23 PM

Scott

The most obvious question that everyone wants to know. What caused his departure from the Dean Blundell Show? Also, are him and Dean still friends?

February 4, 2014 @ 4:45 PM

Simon

Hey mike, please ask Todd if the callers they had on the show were real or actors. I've always thought that Adrian was someone putting on an act.

Also ask Todd if it was upper manage my or dean that delivers him the news of being let go. Did dean ever stick up for him at all or show support?

Thanks

February 4, 2014 @ 5:12 PM

Jason from Sudbury

This goes back to when the DBS first came on but they used to do these segments ReTodd On The Street. I'll never forget the time where he walked up to a cop and said that this one dude had drugs on him. lol That was funny.
Also remember Todd playing clips of his grandmother on air. This was a while back so I don't remember if he had simply recorded her or had her on the phone but anyway would be nice to know if she's still alive.

Also curious to know if he still keeps in touch with Jason.

February 4, 2014 @ 5:41 PM

Kenny in Mississauga

When does a comedy bit go too far? What was Todd surprised didn't raise controversy and what did raise a fuss when they weren't expecting it? We're they faced with the PD's saying go out their push the envelope, be extreme , we're behind you etc and then throw them under the bus when the heat became too much. Are there subjects that are untouchable, if so which ones and why?

February 4, 2014 @ 6:23 PM

Mike from Lowville

Who's Todd Shapiro? What's the Dean Blundell Show? Where is 102.1 the Edge?

February 4, 2014 @ 6:32 PM

bdot

Did res floor did he stay in at Carleton U,

February 4, 2014 @ 6:52 PM

Bdot

what happened to Edwardo?

February 4, 2014 @ 6:55 PM

Body touch

Mike, I was wondering if you were going to comment on the fact that the edges listener ship has dropped by half since dean was fired. Fred is not a right fit and he's only pulling in a 6 percent share (dean pulled in a 12 before he was let go). I think it's safe to say that dean blundell had listeners and the edge is headed downhill without him. Also why has no one commented in how ajowa was also quietly fired aswell. She has a job with 103.5 now

February 4, 2014 @ 10:13 PM

markosaar

@Body touch, I don't know how often those numbers get published, but I wonder if the numbers have more to do with Indie88 existing rather than Blundell leaving.

February 5, 2014 @ 2:07 AM

Body touch

Why does everyone think that Indie 88 is some kind of saviour of radio? Or that the "big" stations are shaking in their boots? Indie88 is just like every other station in that it overplays songs and doesn't really offer anything fresh. And I doubt it's "stealing" listeners from the edge considering that outside of Toronto you can barely even get 88s signal. I'm north of gta and it's in and out in my car and if been even more north and the signal brings in a French station. Indie 88 is not a threat untill they become more then the college radio station they are

February 5, 2014 @ 6:17 AM

markosaar

@Body touch,

I don't disagree with you. I just see my radio-listening friends here seem to have all switched to Indie88. I agree though, it overplays songs and definitely doesn't offer anything new. I can't explain what the backlash against the Edge is, nor do I have any metrics for whether it's even significant.

I don't see what makes Indie88 any better, but then I gave up on radio already in the late 90s.

February 5, 2014 @ 7:37 AM

I saw the "Edge has lost half its listeners" articles, pushed by the PR firm run by Dean's buddy. It seemed we just had to take the PR firm and Dean's word for it.

For over a decade, 1021. shed all listeners who didn't want to hear Dean's kind of talk. Me, for example, and thousands of others. All that was left was those who wanted the kind of talk radio Dean's show provides.

Then, on a dime, they cancel the DBS show and go back to a "music-based program". I'm very surprised they only lost half their listeners. The DBS people would abandon ship immediately, and all those they had lost over the past decade are doing other things in the morning. It will take some time to rebuild the audience.

February 5, 2014 @ 8:54 AM

Body touch

They will never rebuild an audience with Fred. He is just plain awful. His on air personality is all setup... Setup... Setup... Punch line... Cue station ID and go to commercial. It sounds phoney and prerecorded. Dean at least discussed issues and let the conversation wind down naturally ( yes he used to dwell on stuff too, that was a negative aspect of his show). But Fred is terrible I never listened to him in the afternoons so maybe he's always been that fake but it's a turn off to wake up to.

February 5, 2014 @ 1:24 PM

DirtyDarryl

My questions to Todd would be,

"Have you ever thought about or tried to leave the Dean Blundell show in the past?"

"Any crude jokes he made towards the caller or listener, was it an act as part of the show, or is that the real Todd Shapiro?"

Cheers!

February 5, 2014 @ 1:32 PM

Mike H

Will we be hearing some Todd on the Street on his new Sirrus show? Its about that time.........you auotshow me your boobies!

February 5, 2014 @ 9:26 PM