Patrick Chan Wins Silver in Men's Figure Skating

Patrick Chan Wins Silver in Men's Figure SkatingPatrick Chan has won silver for Canada in men's figure skating at the Sochi Olympics.

patrick

Jenkins

It's great that he won a medal, but this is bittersweet. The gold was his for the taking, and he blew it.

February 14, 2014 @ 2:44 PM

@Jenkins

We've never had a better opportunity to secure gold in this sport. Bittersweet is a good term for this silver medal.

February 14, 2014 @ 2:51 PM

dale

VERY disappointing.

3 world championships in a row & favorite to win.

Great to medal but the wrong one.

February 14, 2014 @ 3:50 PM

Blind Dave

I didn't see it (shut up).

Was the judging fairand was the silver appropriate for his performance?

February 14, 2014 @ 5:59 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Never a big fan of judged sports given the past issues of France and Russia (I believe) collaborating to score each other's countrymen higher.
I haven't seen his performance and wouldn't know a gold performance to a bronze.
The silver is nothing to be ashamed of.

February 14, 2014 @ 6:26 PM

The judging was fair.

Patrick Chan did mess up three times... he deserved silver.

February 14, 2014 @ 10:21 PM

Andrew

I don't comment about the Olympics, but this one and some of the comments irk me.
I have a good friend - her name is Alison Higgson, now Cavanaugh. Some of you might be old enough to remember her, but we went through school together from kindergarten to OAC's. Alison was a championship swimmer. In fact, she was a world record holder in multiple events, but her speciality was the breaststroke.

I can't begin to tell you the pressure she felt as a 12, 13, 14, 15 year old. Not only pressure she felt from herself, but the pressure to succeed for her country. In the 1988 summer olympics of Seoul, Korea, Alison was the favourite to win the 100m and 200m breastroke. She only won a bronze. I got a letter from her three days before her event describing the feelings she was having and the stress that was leading up to her event. Her big rival was a girl from East Germany, Kristin Otto, and she eventually lost to her. There was always chatter about the East Germans and their drug use, all you have to do is Google and read. Alison was devastated. You can't imagine what she felt like back then and I can only imagine what Chan feels like today… there was no Facebook or Twitter for people to spew things at them in real time and I just shudder at the thought of what people sent Chan.

Is it disappointing? For some, sure. Is it for Chan? Absolutely, and I don't think any of us will ever really know what he's going through or still going through. I couldn't imagine having to replay that performance over and over and over in your head for years to come. We'll all forget about it after a while, look back every four year and what could have been, but he's going to think about it day after day after day.

I know, because Alison still talked about 20 years later…

Cheers,