How I'm Eating My Greens

How I'm Eating My GreensIt's always been a challenge for me to eat my vegetables. I've always loved fruits and hated veggies. I wish I were a salad guy, but I'm not, so I've found a new way to eat green vegetables every day.

I throw them in a smoothie. My wife started doing this when she became pregnant, and I finally decided to join her. Now I love it and it's become a daily ritual.

First, everything goes in the blender. Yesterday we had kale, spinach, mango, blueberries, oranges, banana, greek yogurt and flax seed. And ice, adding ice at the end makes it better.

blender

Then, we blend it.

Untitled

Then, we drink it. It's yummy!

smoothie

Kale is a staple of our smoothies, because of its many health benefits, but we'll add different vegetables depending upon what's in the fridge. The other day we added broccoli. If you're like me and you just don't like broccoli, this is definitely the way to go.

elvis

Can we get an after shot please?

February 10, 2014 @ 9:57 AM

@elvis

I'm in training.

Speaking of which, where's your pledge? http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/mikeboon

February 10, 2014 @ 9:59 AM

Speysidephil

@Mike
Mike I believe you have a deadline for reaching a certain amount $2500.00 ?
Suggest you need to highlight this on a daily basis to wake some people up!!

February 10, 2014 @ 10:06 AM

@Speysidephil

I thought my $1000 corporate sponsorship package would appeal to someone somewhere. It's a tax write-off, after all...

I have some time before the deadline, so I'll highlight this again next week and get people moving. The key point I haven't made yet is that I won't be asking for Terry Fox Run pledges this fall, so this is the only time I'll be seeking donations in 2014.

February 10, 2014 @ 10:10 AM

mrmojorisinca

broccoli.. try blanching them..then cool them in the fridge..then toss olive oil, balsamic vinegar and some salt and pepper..

for our shakes, we use..kiwi, kale or spinach, green apples,bananna, ginger and coconut water

February 10, 2014 @ 10:28 AM

mrmojorisinca

also you might want to try these..pretty good..

High protein healthy bars

Type Dry ingredients
1\2 cup peanuts
1\2 cup sunflower seeds
1\2 cup pumpkin seeds
1\2 cup chopped walnuts
1\2 cup chopped Brazilian nuts (I use pecans)
1\4 cup ground flax seed
1\2 cup raisins
1\2 cup dried cranberries
2 cups rolled instant oatmeal
Non dry ingredients
3\4 cup dark choc chips (mini's)
3\4 cup honey
1\2 cup REAL/NATURAL peanut butter or almond butter (I use either, whichever is preferred)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Step 1
- mix dry ingredient in a large bowl
Step 2
-Melt the chocolate chips for 30-60seconds in microwave until mostly melted.
-Combine with honey, peanut butter or almond butter, vanilla and mircrowave for a minute and stir evenly.
- stir and then microwave for another minute- (if needed)
- mix well and add to dry mixture, stir really well until everything is coated (all must be sticky)
Step 3
- baking dish coat with PAM or olive oil just a bit.
- transfer the mixed ingredients (they should all me mixed into 1 bowl by now) to the baking dish and firmly press into the pan
- cover with wax paper and refrigerate for at least 1 hour
- you can then cut into bars and individually wrap with cellophane (tip - use Glad Press & Seal works well)

Nutritional Breakdown:
Per bar without my modifications
Calories - 234
Fat - 2g
Carbs - 4
Protein - 9g
Fiber - 6g
Sugar - 12

February 10, 2014 @ 10:33 AM

David

Looks good! What brand of blender do you use and are you happy with it?

February 10, 2014 @ 10:37 AM

Ryan G

My wife has been making similar drinks for us for the last several months, and aside from the health benefits, I do believe it's helped us shed a few pounds as well.

She uses kale, spinach,etc and initially the thought of drinking a salad at 9 in the morning was a bit revolting to me, but they are fantastic when she adds blueberries or other fruit. And, she makes them in a Nutri Bullet which is even better than a blender since there's less mess.

At breakfast I also have a bowl of wholegrain Cheerios, but I'm now considering dropping that and just having the drink, but there's some simple childhood pleasure associated with cereal so I'm not lettin' it go quite yet.

February 10, 2014 @ 10:53 AM

mrmojorisinca

we purchased the Ninja as well..far less expensive then the Vitamix or blentec..and works pretty damed good.

February 10, 2014 @ 11:30 AM

Corey

I am very skeptical that this tastes good.

February 10, 2014 @ 12:44 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Corey - I'm with you...I'm not sure how this tastes good. But since I am on a massive health kick...trying to change my lifestyle. I will give Mike's concoction a shot.

....I'll let you know how it goes..

February 10, 2014 @ 12:50 PM

The fruits make it taste good. Trust me.

All you taste is the banana and orange!

February 10, 2014 @ 1:00 PM

Corey

So Mike, is this (or could it be) a meal replacement, or is it just a supplement to get your daily veggies?

February 10, 2014 @ 1:51 PM

@Corey

I've been drinking it as a dessert replacement.... but it is rather filling.

I don't think it's enough calories to replace a dinner or anything...

February 10, 2014 @ 1:52 PM

Mike from Lowville

Hey Mike! Try using black Kale. More good stuff than plain Kale.

February 10, 2014 @ 2:27 PM

markosaar

I don't mind veggies at all, but just find it hard to find time to cook properly every night. We were given a Magic Bullet for Christmas, might be time to dust it off and give these things a try.

February 10, 2014 @ 3:03 PM