Every Four Years...

Every Four YearsMy friend Elvis is giving me a hard time because I watched ice dancing this past weekend. Damn right I did. I'm not ashamed to admit I watch ice dancing every four years.

Heck, I just watched women luging. Outside of the Olympics, I wouldn't dream of watching women luging. Same with speed skating, moguls, bobsledding, skiing, snowboarding, figure skating, curling, biathlons and skeleton. Now that I think of it, the only winter Olympic sport I actually watch outside of the Olympics is hockey.

But every four years, I'll watch it all. I watch everything, including ice dancing.

And I apologize to no one.

TheSweaterTuck

Don't listen to Elvis; he hates people based on the jacket they wear.

February 11, 2014 @ 1:51 PM

@TheSweaterTuck

No worries there.

Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir skate again Sunday. I'll be watching.

February 11, 2014 @ 1:54 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - Careful..if Argie finds out he might stop visiting....(sorry that was a cheap shot at your sexuality for watching ice dancing)

Losta Love!!

February 11, 2014 @ 2:24 PM

@Philly-Bob

Argie is on commenting hiatus.

February 11, 2014 @ 2:26 PM

Ben Vidal

What is commenting hiatus?

February 11, 2014 @ 3:06 PM

@Ben Vidal

He's taking a break from commenting. He wasn't banned, he's decided to do this on his own. He sent me an email about it yesterday.

His views of the world clash with our modern distaste for intolerance.

February 11, 2014 @ 3:11 PM

Wayner

I'll pretty much watch anything too... Do you watch the biathlon? It’s strangely hypnotic.

February 11, 2014 @ 3:12 PM

@Wayner

Absolutely. Who can forget Myriam Bédard?

February 11, 2014 @ 3:16 PM

Derrick

I always thought Argie was a troll.

February 11, 2014 @ 3:27 PM

@Derrick

He definitely enjoyed trolling, but his homophobia was/is very real.

February 11, 2014 @ 3:30 PM

Speysidephil

Nope, we need Argie back here . If Mike didn't like what Argie posted he deleted it before it went to print. Other than that I agreed with most of his posts.
Come back Argie!!

February 11, 2014 @ 3:33 PM

Sam from England

Shouldnt you be at work?! Seriously though, the only winter olympic sport i cant get away with is ski jumping- it looks like it should be awesome but they never fall over and its hard to tell how far they jumped. Judged sports dont really sit well with me tbh.

February 11, 2014 @ 3:36 PM

@Sam from England

I too dislike judged sports, but every four years I still watch.

February 11, 2014 @ 3:38 PM

Matt

I'll never understand getting into something once every four years. Either you're a fan or you're not. Why not follow these sports all the time? Same athletes every year, sometimes there's a mapleleaf on the front.

February 11, 2014 @ 4:07 PM

@Matt

I love rooting for Canada during the Olympics. A World Championship just isn't enough to draw me in... I need the big O!

February 11, 2014 @ 4:10 PM

Matt

That actually made me laugh out loud, no wonder you're so excited about the Olympics! It all makes sense now.

February 11, 2014 @ 4:20 PM

Gump

Count me in as one that truly loves watching all these sports, even if it is only once every 4 years.
And I'm strangely attracted to all the skaters... (remember when Tie Domi wore his ice hockey skates during the 1st season of the Battle of the Blades - ha!).

February 11, 2014 @ 4:57 PM

elvis

@TheSweaterTuck - hate might be too strong of a word. In case you can't read through hyperbole, no, I don't hate people who wear a particular type of jacket but I certainly think you could make a better financial, environmental and humane choice in your outerwear. You're free to wear whatever you want, I'm free to comment on that and you're free to comment on that comment.

god bless Canada.

February 11, 2014 @ 6:42 PM

elvis

@Everyone - support Canadian athletes, sure. Blindly supporting an obviously corrupt, fixed, judged sport is dumb. Even if it is for a couple of weeks every two years.

Dammit, I sound like CQ.

February 11, 2014 @ 6:44 PM

@elvis

There is no god.

February 11, 2014 @ 7:21 PM

J9

@ Matt - too funny!

We love the Olympics too, will watch anything and everything. You learn about sports that the tv broadcasts just do not cover, and these athletes are so talented.

February 11, 2014 @ 7:55 PM

Muzzin

Go Canada Go!!

Ice Dancing is for chick's.

As well, sports that are judged and or ruled by subjective views or assessing points are always second tier in my mind.

That is all.

February 11, 2014 @ 8:12 PM

@Muzzin

You're a neanderthal.

February 11, 2014 @ 8:16 PM

elvis

@Mike - notice the small g.

February 11, 2014 @ 8:23 PM

this guest

1. Really really want Canada to do well at the Olympics.

2. Russia lost 15 million soldiers breaking the backs
of the Nazis during World War Two.
(not sure why I put this in)

3. Argie, like all of us, needs life experiences
that expand consciousness.

4. Beatles 50th anniversary of Ed Sullivan:
Beautiful. Love the Beatles.

February 11, 2014 @ 11:14 PM

Mike from Lowville

Any Olympic womans event (but hockey) is as my brother-in-law would say is eye candy.

February 12, 2014 @ 6:44 AM

Ben Vidal

I think there are two things that have made it even more enjoyable to watch Canadians win medals in these Olympics. The first is how young the majority of these individuals are. With that much youth on their side I can only imagine how much they will dominate in the next Olympics.

Second is the passion and joy they show when they win. I've found myself sitting there with a big shit eating grin when I watch them win and get presented with their medals. I can't say I've done that in past Olympics.

February 12, 2014 @ 8:58 AM

Tim

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks". Nah. Its cool Mike. These athletes train long and hard and inspire all of us with their incredible performances. I quite enjoy the Women's hockey. Although it may not have the speed and physical component of Men's hockey, it does have terrific pin-point passing. I could watch Wickenheiser play all day. She is "one heck of a" hockey player.

February 12, 2014 @ 9:04 AM