CBC's 2014 Olympic Coverage Was Fantastic

CBC's 2014 Olympic Coverage Was FantasticFollowing the 2012 Olympics in London, I wrote about how much I hated the CTV Olympics App. My experience these past two weeks was completely different. The CBC Olympics App was fantastic.

In fact, their complete coverage was top notch. The app and website made it easy to access the schedule and stream events in real-time or on-demand, and it always worked. I watched the hockey on the big screen but many of the other events streamed on my laptop. It worked exactly as it should.

I also loved the fact they used the traditional Olympics theme music instead of that damn I Believe song. The daily montages, called Fresh Tracks, were also excellent. Here's one from Day 15.

Good job, CBC. Your 2014 Olympics coverage was outstanding.

Argie

Yeah, too bad they spent about a billion to do it.

February 24, 2014 @ 1:27 PM

@Argie

I don't have a clue what they spent, but they sure nailed it.

February 24, 2014 @ 1:32 PM

Argie

I admit their app is one of the best out there. Certainly the best among other Cdn apps.

February 24, 2014 @ 1:46 PM

Cambo

I completely agree, Mike. The CBC did it absolutely right. The App was amazing. Super easy to use, up to the minute result notifications and tons of video, both taped and live. And it worked like a charm. The only criticism I had was the mandatory viewing of 30-second ads every time you opened the app to watch a video. I could understand once ever 3-4 views, but every time was a bit annoying.

February 24, 2014 @ 1:47 PM

4x4 Time

Just back late last night from 16 days of meetings and factory tours in Asia. The CBC app was a lifesaver for updates.

February 24, 2014 @ 2:00 PM

What

I guess if u are a Ron McClean fan that of course u loved it. But the coverage was typical CBC, rah rah for Canada but screw everyone else.

It used to be the CBC covered the atmosphere/story of the games including exposes of different nations but this was way too much homerism.

If there was a story of the people of Sochi, never saw it.

& what was with that Vanderbeek & Adam(whats his face) segment. What no Marnie McBean?

& their website was horrendous, too busy, info scattered all about. Yahoo Sports has a better layout than these clowns.

February 24, 2014 @ 2:23 PM

Jamie

I totally agree Mike, I used the mobile app and was watching on my iphone many live events. Sure it sucked up lots of data (4gig) but it was in HD and worked great.

February 24, 2014 @ 2:49 PM

Sammi

@ What

Sounds like you will not like the CBC no matter what they do.

I thought they did an amazing job and often featured athletes from other countries.

February 24, 2014 @ 3:34 PM

For what it's worth, I found myself watching hours and hours of content on CBC in events Canada didn't have a shot in.

And best of all, it could all be found live. I hear it was tough going for Americans who didn't want to wait for NBC to show everything recorded in primetime.

February 24, 2014 @ 3:55 PM

Corey

If you ask me, this is exactly the kind of event that a national public broadcaster is for. Remember that both Bell and Rogers walked away from bidding on 2014 Winter and 2016 Summer games because broadcasting them is apparently not profitable. This is an event that interests and represents the entire country (I.e.: not just a Leafs or Habs game) and the private sector wasn't interested. CBC did a great job.

February 24, 2014 @ 4:11 PM

Glen

I think you are forgetting Tim and Sid's fantastic coverage of the Olympics for the Fan 590.

Apparently it even caught the eye of a comedy show in the UK. Here's the clip:

February 24, 2014 @ 5:58 PM

Gump

I too found the coverage to be top-notch. I don't have 'regular' TV service, so I almost exclusively used CBC's Sochi 2014 app.
Excellent navigation, exhaustive content, ability to replay/rewind, etc. Often in the evening as I cleaned up and did the dishes, I would turn on Ron and listen for an hour or so, then replay some item that I would be interested in. It took awhile, but under the "CBC Sizzle" topic in the Video section I found the excellent music montages I love. Sam Roberts, Metric, Tragically Hip - great scenes from the games with fantastic music. It was interesting to watch the Olympic Feed of the hockey games since you didn't get the regular intermission commentary from the hockey panel. Great scenes from the arena with no dialogue.
The only thing I missed was Brian William with his timechecks.

February 24, 2014 @ 6:33 PM

say something

I wish toronto mike covered more of Tim and sid. Now that dean blundell is gone they are the only thing on toronto radio worth listening to. I just wish they did mornings. And mike wheres the articles on how Fred is bombing in the ratings and how Ajwo was fired from the edge as well

February 24, 2014 @ 7:09 PM

elvis

@Say Something - Mike and I spoke about T&S during one of our podcasts. I love them too. My mission is to get them on the show.

February 24, 2014 @ 7:28 PM

elvis

I just got back from 6 days in the US. No wonder the Olympics barely register - nothing was live, the coverage was very packaged to tell a story around a US athlete and way too many commercials to ever keep you interested. Even the gold medal game was pretty bad - the level of commentary is very dumbed down - I was reminded no short of 6 times in the first 5 minutes I was watching 'stars of the National Hockey League.'

An interesting point - it's funny how different countries display the overall medal table. We seem to have adopted the most golds gets first but NBC shows overall medal count first. I guess it's all about making your country look good.

February 24, 2014 @ 7:32 PM

cheeses

NBC did that same medal listing for vancouver. They go by total medals instead of tghe IOC offical way of going with golds first. America usually is in the top in terms of total medals so it looks better for them to list it that way. Although i'm sure if america was top in golds they would change their format quickly

February 24, 2014 @ 7:40 PM

Lynne

@Mike

I agree. CBC did a remarkable job, both online and on TV. It was so easy to figure out what would be on at any given time, and the background on all the athletes was really useful. Glad I was not an American waiting for NBC to keep me up to the minute.

However, I did flip to NBC one night and was surprised to see that they were covering a couple of the Canadian stories. How un-American!

The CBC's Nalah (sp?) Ayed did a spectacular job of covering stories from Russia outside of Sochi. She is a very brave woman. I am sure there will be much more, now that she is out of Russia.

February 25, 2014 @ 8:02 AM

Jacob

CBC's coverage has always been great. The CTV coverage of the last two games veered too close to the US-style coverage, with the emotional storytelling angle amped up.

February 25, 2014 @ 5:54 PM

Bernie

Great app, but ...
I clicked on a sport and ended up watching a different one, boxing. I was in the middle of a great bout, touched the screen and lost it. Could I find it again? No! I could not remember which feed gave me the boxing (there are 23 after all) and everyone I clicked had me sit through 30 seconds of the same two ads only to find out it was not boxing. I gave up. Even YouTube limits the ads better than that.

August 10, 2016 @ 1:40 PM