Canada Wins Gold in Women's Hockey

Canada Wins Gold in Women's HockeyCanada has won gold in women's hockey at the Sochi Olympics.

What a game! Down 2-0 to the United States with four minutes to play, we never gave up. The ref nearly cost us the game with horrible positioning with our goalie pulled and just over a minute left on the clock, but the resulting shot on the empty net hit the post. Then, in overtime, a penalty shot should be been called but wasn't.

Marie-Philip Poulin got the golden goal. Way to go, Canada!

golden-goal

Argie

I'm glad we won but the one thing that prevents me from watching women's hockey is the poor skating. You would think they could master that at least.

February 20, 2014 @ 3:08 PM

Speysidephil

It was a great game Argie, too bad you missed it.
Take note the men's Team:PASSION!

February 20, 2014 @ 3:11 PM

Luigi

Well, that was easy :)

February 20, 2014 @ 3:12 PM

Derrick

Argie, thanks for that fantastic observation.

February 20, 2014 @ 3:16 PM

Ryan G

Truly a game for the ages. Well done ladies.

I can't wait for a special commemorative edition of this game to come out on DVD. I won't buy it, nor will I watch it, but I can't wait.

February 20, 2014 @ 3:17 PM

Matt T.

No question the linesperson took a horrible route back to her blue line that nearly had horrific results.
But the no penalty shot call was the right call. When the Canadian player was fouled she did not have control of the puck, which is required to assess a penalty shot. Thankfully, it didn't matter.

February 20, 2014 @ 3:30 PM

Argie

@Matt
Was there any contact between the two players? From what I say, it look like they both fell on their own, at the same time.

February 20, 2014 @ 3:32 PM

Matt T.

@Argie
That's a fair question. I debated it myself several times,. I think there was some contact on the Canadian player as the USA player leaned forward. The glove of the USA player makes slight contact with the pants of the Canadian player, which helped to bring down the Canadian player. It's a very tight call, but I think the right one.

February 20, 2014 @ 3:42 PM

If they were going to call a penalty on the play, and they did, it should have been a penalty shot.

The options were:

No penalty, or
Penalty shot

February 20, 2014 @ 3:47 PM

Matt T.

It can't be a penalty shot by the rules. For a penalty shot to be assessed the rules require a player to be fouled from behind, which she was, on a breakaway with no player between her and the goaltender, which she was, and the fouled player to have possession and control of the puck when she is fouled, which she did not. If you watch the replay, when she is fouled the puck is several feet in front of her. Having control of the puck is defined by the rule book as propelling and/or controlling the puck with stick. The Canadian player fouled is doing neither of those with the puck several feet in front of her.
Yes we can assume that she would have gotten control of the puck if not fouled, but the rules as they are written do not allow such an assumption.
Perhaps the rules should be changed, but as they are written now, the official made the correct call.

February 20, 2014 @ 4:02 PM

Corey

That goal post deserves a medal.

February 20, 2014 @ 4:19 PM

Broni

It was an incredible Olympic moment with just about everything you could ask for in a hockey game.
My daughters watched much of the game at their school, and I'm glad the school gave them that opportunity.

February 20, 2014 @ 9:29 PM

I've seen thousands of hockey games in my life, but I've never seen this:

February 20, 2014 @ 9:33 PM

Speysidephil

@ Broni

That certainly was an incredible moment.
Kudos to the school that let them watch that. I have never been more proud tobe a Canadian to see the passion in those women's eyes.
It was an incredible moment.

February 20, 2014 @ 9:34 PM

Mike from Lowville

Truely, one for the record...............never give up.

February 21, 2014 @ 6:41 AM

Lynne

Unforgettable!

February 21, 2014 @ 8:54 AM

Douglas

The Canadian Olympic Team may not have been able to hide a loonie or toonie under centre ice in Sochi, but maybe the nets have "Made in Canada" marked on them. I'm with Corey: the net post deserves a medal. The hockey gods were with Canada yesterday. Hopefully they're hanging around with us today - and then Sunday.

February 21, 2014 @ 12:56 PM

Luigi

The best story I heard on the drive home last night was on Bob McCowan's show. A guy called in to say he was picking up his daughter from school when the Canadian team won. All the kids ran out when the bell rang wearing red and white and his daughter who I think would be 7 or 8 came out with a big smile and said to him that the girls did it and that she wants to win one too.
That's how you grow a sport in Canada.

February 21, 2014 @ 3:16 PM