Toronto Mike'd Ranks #14 in iTunes' Top Podcasts

Toronto Mike'd Ranks #14 in iTunes' Top PodcastsAfter 60 episodes, Toronto Mike'd, my little podcast, reached #14 on iTunes' Top Podcasts in the comedy category.

I was so pleased, I took a screencap for posterity, because it may never rank that high again.

Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 3.19.18 PM

Episode 60, only released yesterday, is already my most downloaded podcast yet. If you want to hear it, it's right here waiting for you.

I'm #14! I'm #14! I'm #14!

Update: If you could please subscribe to my podcast at https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/toronto-miked-podcast/id557260245 and give it a sweet rating, I'd really appreciate it!

elvis

Again, you're welcome.

January 9, 2014 @ 4:20 PM

@elvis

I think you're holding me back. I'd be in the top 10 without you!

January 9, 2014 @ 4:24 PM

Anon&on

No wonder #60 is the top episode. You fired the co-host, and cancelled another show and fired that co-host, on air.
Toronto podcasting is more controversial than Toronto radio.

January 9, 2014 @ 4:40 PM

@Anon&on

I would never fire Rosie!

I did, however, cancel Your Blog Sucks.

January 9, 2014 @ 4:44 PM

Corey

Awesome Mike. Humble Howard must be obsessing over this, since theirs was up there, but now seems to be missing.

Couple of questions:

1) why is your podcast in the Comedy category?
2) what kind of numbers does this represent? What would it take to crack the top 10? Don't be coy! At least give a reasonable range.

January 9, 2014 @ 5:05 PM

Glen

I miss Rosie's laugh.

January 9, 2014 @ 5:24 PM

howard

@corey.
I couldn't be happier for Mike cause he's a great guy who has been so good to us and is so key to the success or H+F Radio.
ITunes rankings are pretty heady stuff for a couple of goofy Radio guys and as of this moment(which is ever changing) we just jumped into the #8 spot.
Best to all and to all a good night.

January 9, 2014 @ 5:58 PM

@Corey

Obviously I'm in the Comedy category because iTunes knows I'm hilarious.

That, and when I submitted the podcast back in August 2012 I had to put it in a category and it didn't really fit anywhere so I picked Comedy.

I'm not going to give you download numbers, but episode 60 is the most downloaded podcast of all 60 and it only went online yesterday.

January 9, 2014 @ 6:14 PM

@Glen

Rosie will be back.

January 9, 2014 @ 6:15 PM

Corey

@Howard -

Of course you'd be happy for Mike. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. Just meant that you'd be studying the rankings and wondering what happened because you are by your own admission, an obsessive type of guy. You, Fred and Mike should all be proud - and I wouldn't be a regular listener or a regular visitor to this blog if I didn't mean that. Cheers.

January 9, 2014 @ 6:37 PM

Corey

@Mike -

Why the secrecy around numbers? How can making that info public negatively affect you?

January 9, 2014 @ 6:49 PM

Dan

Society & Culture would be a more suitable category than Comedy.

January 9, 2014 @ 6:54 PM

@Corey

If you write me an email, I'll tell you.

January 9, 2014 @ 6:59 PM

Andrew

Congrats Mikeā€¦ just let me know when I can start sending you those invoices for consulting you promised me you said you'd do when you started making money.

Can't wait! Vegas here I come!!!

Cheers,
Andrew

January 9, 2014 @ 7:03 PM

@Andrew

As you know, I spent a lot of real money on proper equipment, such as good microphones. Luckily, my webspace is donated by http://www.corefusion.com and I handle the recording, editing, xml, etc. on my own.

Because this podcast has no sponsors and makes no money. In other words....

I can't afford you!

January 9, 2014 @ 7:10 PM

Andrew

@TorontoMike,

Ah, you know I'm kidding. I'm glad you are still enjoying doing the podcast.. summer's coming up and I have a lot of days commuting back and forth for baseball so the entertainment is helpful!!

Cheers,
Andrew

January 9, 2014 @ 7:23 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Andrew needs to be a guest again and give us some road stories from his sporting events. Andrew, do you have anything to do with the Pan Am games or is this too far off?

January 9, 2014 @ 8:08 PM

Andrew

@ Rick C in Oakville,

I'll be a guest anytime Mike needs one and I'm in the vicinity. At least with Skype, I'm available anywhere.

As for the Pan Am games I'm not sure. The freelance community will start to get feelers over the next few months, but more than likely we won't get offers till after the summer is done. I have, however, told people who are hiring that I am only interested in working the rowing / canoeing venue as I live 10 minutes away and there is no way in hell I am commuting back and forth from the Falls everyday for that event!!!

As for stories, I've got lots! I spent 9 1/2 hours this past Sunday driving home from Pittsburgh because all the flights were cancelled. Took us almost 2 hours to drive from Erie, Pa to Buffalo, NY. Couldn't see 50 feet in front of us for 50 miles.

I also almost got killed by the Hells Angels in front of Chez Paris because one of the CBC executives I was with started mouthing off to the bouncers that he shouldn't have to stand in line with everyone else. It's the only time in my life where it flashed before me.

Cheers!!
Andrew

January 9, 2014 @ 9:37 PM

elvis

It's not cancelled. It's on hiatus.

January 9, 2014 @ 10:49 PM

Liz

Oh, Mike. Great news! Congratulations - well done!

January 10, 2014 @ 9:36 AM

Jamie

@Mike,

This was the first podcast of yours I've listened to. Once I got over the fact that you sounded like a 14 year old boy(just kidding!)I found it to have some good content and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'll be sure to subscribe going forward.

Cheers!

January 10, 2014 @ 1:12 PM

@Jamie

All part of my charm!

I just recorded a very interesting episode 61 you're going to want to hear.

January 10, 2014 @ 2:55 PM

Ryan

I wonder too about the number of listens/downloads. I've yet to meet a podcaster who's revealed the total number of downloads/listens per podcast. Why not reveal?

I do seem to recall reading one of Mike's posts in the past where he said one of his podcasts peaked at 150 listens.

Problem with podcasts is that in most cases, a "play" counts when somebody hits play. They may only listen to the first 10 seconds or first minute, but it still counts as a complete play. Other podcasting resources will only count a play when a certain percentage of a podcast is listened to.

My personal opinion, I still think too many podcasts in the digital ether from various artists and outfits run too long. In the realm of talk radio, your average listener tunes in for 7 - 15 minutes. Podcasts that run for an hour or more? That's asking a lot for people in this day and age of digital distraction to remain interested for that long.

January 12, 2014 @ 7:46 PM

@Ryan

I'm not sure when I mentioned the number 150, but episode one surpassed that figure after a day.

An average episode of Toronto Mike'd is downloaded many, many more times than that. Episode 60 has the record, with episode 59 a close 2nd. Episode 61 just got uploaded Friday afternoon so we'll see where that ends up, but it's off to a good start.

And yes, even if someone listens to 10 seconds and bails, it will count as a download.

January 12, 2014 @ 10:26 PM