Todd Shapiro Gets SiriusXM Show

Todd Shapiro Gets SiriusXM ShowSince Todd Shapiro was fired from the Dean Blundell Show on 102.1 the Edge back in July, many have wondered where he'd end up. The answer, it seems, is SiriusXM satellite radio.

Todd Shapiro will host The Todd Shapiro Show on channel 168 Canada Laughs. This is the same station that airs the Humble and Fred show weekday mornings.

Jamie

Any word on a co-host? Todd was a GREAT side kick but when I listened to him solo a few times it was painful. Maybe with more practice he will do fine. Anyhow, good luck Todd I wish you nothing but the best!

January 15, 2014 @ 9:49 AM

NightDiver

@Jamie I agree - it seemed to be the dynamic between Dean and Todd that provided the best entertainment...I remember listening to Todd take over the show a few times and cringing a few times. But he seems like a good guy so I'll definitely check it out, and wish him the best!

January 15, 2014 @ 10:07 AM

TheSweaterTuck

Good luck to Todd, but I don't think this is enough to get me back on Satellite radio.

January 15, 2014 @ 12:17 PM

30 years of firsts

Todd worked well as a sidekick but he was never able to host a show. If he surrounds himself with some talent then this night be good. If love to see Todd pick up Derek in some sort if capacity. Doesn't anyone know if Todd and Derek are still friends or is there bad blood there just as there is with dean. For that matter are dean and Derek still friends? What about Billie?

Mike you mentioned on another post that dean and Todd are no longer friends. What about the rest? Will you ever do an article on Adrian?

January 15, 2014 @ 1:24 PM

I just chatted with Todd. He'll be on my podcast to answer all my questions in 2 weeks.

I didn't listen to enough DBS to know who Adrian is.. so I doubt I'll write about him. I don't know if Dean and Derek are still friends... nor do I know much about Billie.

January 15, 2014 @ 2:38 PM

Rob

I do recall a segment where Derek mocked the Toddy Tickles voice after Todd was fired.

January 15, 2014 @ 3:00 PM

Mark H

I'm kind of in agreement that Todd needs somebody to bounce off of. I'm sure he has a few connections around town that he could bring in to help him out.

January 15, 2014 @ 4:29 PM

Anonymous

I listened when Todd filled in for Dean and he did amazing considering the situation. I am confident he will shine given his own platform. When he did the one on one interviews with Athlete's they were awesome, minus the knock knock jokes ;)

January 15, 2014 @ 4:38 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Good for Todd, give him a chance as filling in for the boss (aka Dean) is far more initimidating than running your own show, so he may have felt some trepedation subbing for Dean.
Great hearing him on H&F and I am waiting for Mike to have him on his Podcast.
I like what Mark H mentioned about Sirius and giving Canadian talent a shot, never thought about it until he pointed it out.

January 15, 2014 @ 5:16 PM

Adam M

This is great news for morning radio. With his own format to play with, I'm certain Todd will kick it in to high gear. He was the sharpest and funniest part of the old show.

January 15, 2014 @ 5:37 PM

I believe The Todd Shapiro Show will air live on SiriusXM at 9am.

January 15, 2014 @ 5:39 PM

Jillian

Good things happen to good people!
I don't claim to know Todd but just listening to him speak on H+F he sounds so much happier and confident than he did on that other show. Before he sounded tense and afraid to speak for fear of being ridiculed (which happened A LOT!)

I wish him great success!

January 15, 2014 @ 7:17 PM

Ken P

Congrats Toddy! Listened to you and Dean since the beginning. Hopefully you come out with a podcast too. Look forward to hearing your new show! Cheers!

January 15, 2014 @ 9:16 PM

The Commish

"On another note, its nice to see that SiriusXM is giving some live Canadian programming a shot."

Their licence with the CRTC requires it. Arguably better to spend their money on radio hosts than before when it was all going to musical acts and standup comics.

Although it's also not a lot of money.

January 16, 2014 @ 12:12 AM

Mae

I find it interesting that there were over 500 posts when Todd was fired from the morning show, but only 14 when it is posted that he has a new gig.

Do people really care that he has work and will listen to his new show, or was it more the shock that he was fired from the Edge Morning show and it gave people a forum to bitch about Dean....

January 16, 2014 @ 9:15 AM

Sammi

@ Mae

I was thinking the same thing.

January 16, 2014 @ 9:20 AM

@Mae and Sammi

It's all about sex appeal. Todd getting fired from the DBS was a very sexy story. That draws people in.

Todd getting a satellite radio show is good news for Todd, but less sexy. Without the sex appeal, there aren't going to be nearly as many comments.

January 16, 2014 @ 9:23 AM

Speysidephil

Does anyone really listen to Sirius radio? I know more people wh have cancelled it than listen to it.
Does anybody have the numbers, ratings etc.?

January 16, 2014 @ 9:25 AM

Sammi

@ Speyside

We have satellite radio and do like it. Howard Stern is the most listened channel for us, but I do like a lot of the music channels.

@ Mike

I guess that makes sense, but I believe that a lot of people were just piling on. I like Todd but never really listen to terrestrial radio that much anyway. I was hoping for better from Indie 88, but they have been a huge disappointment for me.

January 16, 2014 @ 9:31 AM

@Speysidephil

They guard those numbers with their life.

I don't have SiriusXM, but my buddy Elvis does.... but he's a Howard Stern superfan.

Maybe I'll post an entry asking who has SiriusXM and what they listen to on it...

January 16, 2014 @ 9:32 AM

SiriusXM

There are about 1.7 million paying subscribers to S-XM in Canada. It is public record in their financials.

January 16, 2014 @ 9:39 AM

@Sammi

With specifics, how is Indie88 disappointing you?

I'm actually going to their studios soon to check it out and chat them up...

January 16, 2014 @ 9:50 AM

Anonymous

Toddy!! Love it. I don't do satellite radio...can anyone tell me if there will be podcasts? Or if there is an app for Sirius? (I guess I can google)
Wish you all good things man!
I heard tickles is getting married in Feb. I don't know him personally, but listened to him for five years while on the road, he made me laugh a lot!
Does anyone know if he has a bridal registry somewhere and details? I would like to celebrate the occasion with an offering....

January 16, 2014 @ 9:51 AM

Andrew

@ Sammi and @ Toronto Mike,

Sammi's a smart person :)
Take me with you Mike… I'm sure they'd love to hear my thoughts and feelings beyond what we talked about on the podcast.

I've been off this week and I tuned in yesterday for the first time since recording and guess what?? Turned it off after a few hours. Hell, I just looked at their streaming right now and why the hell would they be playing "Passenger: Let her go"?? Cripes, that's about as pop as it gets. I'm so confused.

Cheers,
Andrew

January 16, 2014 @ 10:01 AM

Sammi

@ Mike

The biggest disappointment I have in Indie is the rigid and repetitive programming. It is no different than any other radio station in the way they are programmed. I can almost predict what songs are going to come up.

I listened to Bookie on a Sunday night once and shut it off after 30 minutes when I heard the same songs that they repeat the crap out of. Some of the music is good, but they never deviate from a rigid playlist. They should leave some room for the dj's to insert a song or two an hour.

The request show is a joke. The same songs that played about 4 hours earlier.

I am not saying they need to get really obscure, just stop repeating so much. Mix it up. Take a few requests throughout the day and let Bookie run free a bit.

And those are just a few of the disappointments. By the way, many have complained and written in about the same thing I have written here and they seem to just ignore it.

January 16, 2014 @ 10:08 AM

@Sammi

I hear ya, but when I biked with Indie88 yesterday I did hear an old Pixies tune, some Clash, and Broken Social Scene.

They do seem to hit current hits hard, and go a little pop there, but at least they're not ignoring classic alternative.

I almost always enjoy what I hear when I tune in.

January 16, 2014 @ 10:11 AM

Anonymous

Post is a day old and someone is talking the response down! Jealous methinks?

January 16, 2014 @ 10:16 AM

@Anonymous

What exactly are you saying?

January 16, 2014 @ 10:21 AM

Anonymous

You seem like a smart person ToronMike, I don't know you personally but if someone would try to bury this post when it's only a day old, I would think there is a pre-existing negative disposition. In my post I attributed jealousy.
Any info on a registry or if Sirius can be streamed on a phone?

January 16, 2014 @ 10:34 AM

Anonymous

I was referring to Mae's post...you?

January 16, 2014 @ 10:36 AM

@Anonymous

I've heard there's an app for SiriusXM but I've also heard it's not great. But there is one...

January 16, 2014 @ 10:58 AM

Sammi

Mike, take Andrew with you when you go to Indie. I just went back and read and listened to his assessment of Indie and he is dead on. I think you will be too nice to them.

January 16, 2014 @ 11:55 AM

Mark H

@TheCommish

Their license requires it, but mostly the Cancon material has been music, pre-recorded stuff, third string sports or is simulcast from somewhere. Unless I'm mistaken it appears that first with Humble and Fred and now Todd Shapiro is the first real attempts to make live Canadian centered programming.

January 16, 2014 @ 12:38 PM

Andrew

@ Sammi,

Thanks! I'm not sure if they'll let me in the building ;)
Perhaps I can talk with a fake, outrageous, accent!

I just went back and re-read what wrote in the comments for Toronto Mic'd Eipsode #50. Jeez, I think I was little worked up…LOL! I'd be interested to hear what Adam has to say regarding the programming of this station. It honestly fascinates me. It's funny, no one from the station ever reached out to me to talk about what I wrote, and that's cool, I guess. Convince me to keep listening or try to convince me to keep listening.

So, Mike, if you're going before next Wednesday, let me tag along… I've got TONNES of questions!!!

Cheers,
Andrew

January 16, 2014 @ 2:44 PM

They're ready when I am, but I'm waiting for a warmer day when I can bike over and enjoy the spring-like weather.

So next heat wave or early spring...

January 16, 2014 @ 2:45 PM

Andrew

@ Toronto Mike,

I'll drive in from Niagara and take you over ;)
Just say, Hey… I've got this friend of mine…

Cheers,
Andrew

January 16, 2014 @ 3:41 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@ Andrew: Too funny, Mike might suggest he rides you double down to Indie's offices.

January 16, 2014 @ 5:34 PM

Andrew

@ Rick C,

Hmmm… I'm not sure I'd trust him ;)

Cheers,
Andrew

January 16, 2014 @ 6:45 PM

It Doesn't Matter

Mike~ Adrian was a caller from Mississauga who by all affects appeared to be on the spectrum for Asperger's Syndrome. The co-hosts often provoked him and then posed as trying to 'help' him. It was extremely cruel and for anyone with empathy, difficult to listen to. On the flip side of this, there were moments where Adrian was so funny that it was never quite clear if this kid was deliberately playing a character, coached by production, had an understanding with the show's host, brilliant despite his challenges, or legitimately unstable. All things considered, a most interesting on-going guest of the show. He's the reason I listened for 4 years, to be honest.

January 17, 2014 @ 12:31 AM

Me

@ it doesn't matter
As someone who used to work there, Adrian was/is legitimately exactly the way he sounded on air.

January 18, 2014 @ 3:33 PM

Steveo

Good for Todd!

I enjoyed listening to him on the old show and look forward to listening to him on his new one. I found Todd funnier and much more personable than Dean. It will be interesting to see who he hires on and where they take the show. He doesn't have Mad Dean or the Canadian Broadcasting Standards Council to deal with now so he can say and do whatever the fuck he wants.

I got SiriusXM a couple of months ago and so far I am pleased with the service.

January 18, 2014 @ 4:37 PM

Juice

Good on todd. The only thing I can say is no morning show is that great without a cohost. Even the great Howard needed Robyn. If not it's stand up comedy and that's next to impossible. Fearless Fred is still doing his segments which are funny but afternoon funny like when he was talking about how many ducks you could fight off until they took over. Good luck toddy tickles

January 21, 2014 @ 10:40 PM

Dee

Lovin the indie home these days. Good luck to Todd (T.o's very own DAnger boy, miss those days)
The edge has gone to shit, Deans gone, whole morning stinks lol
I am glad to hear Raina, Bookie..
I don't have satellite radio, like an earlier poster I will see how to tune in to hear Todd do his thing. All the best to him!!

January 30, 2014 @ 6:45 PM

It Doesn't Matter

@ Me- thanks for the clarification.

Mike- when will the Todd interview air?

February 2, 2014 @ 7:28 PM

@It Doesn't Matter

I post episodes of my podcast about 30 minutes after I stop recording.

So as soon as Todd comes over to record, his episode will "air". Hopefully this week.

February 2, 2014 @ 10:19 PM

ashley

I knew todd would go to satelite, im glad to hear that we can still listen to the funny guys that made 102.1 the edge what it was, now without him and dean the edge sucks so bad, i dont even listen anymore, were all missing the what happened show, i hope you do that on your show, im hoping dean and todd will get together again and throw another sausage fest again, or something like the captain morgan crusade when people were able to meet and greet with the hosts, that would be awesome, thanks

March 13, 2014 @ 6:17 PM

Katie

Ive TRIED to like the todd Shapiro show and just CANT. I would tune in when he first started podcasting and figured they were just working out the wrinkles, but months into it, its gotten worse. Todd is arrogant and likes to toss his weight around on the show, belittling his guests and co hosts, constantly talking about himself and trying to boost himself up. The show really IS The Todd show, listen to me, look at me, look how great I am....theres NO content. When things have dissolved into hours of talking about todd and his life instead of a dynamic, entertaining personality talking about life issues and entertaining people, a show gets VERY boring very quickly. Listening to this show is like sitting and listening to an arrogant friend talk about themselves for hours on end. NOT GOOD. I give it another 6 months.

I vowed never to listen again about a month ago. im team Blundell. PLEASE COME BACK DEAN!

October 28, 2014 @ 9:00 AM