My 21 Android Apps for the LG G2

My 21 Android Apps for the LG G2After test driving the LG G2 for a few months, I've finally gone all-in. My old Samsung Galaxy phone will be retired to camera / wi-fi use only, and the LG G2 will be my primary device. I love this phone.

In addition to the apps that come with Android, I immediately installed 21 apps following a factory reset. Here are my 21 Android apps for the LG G2, in alphabetical order.

• CBC News - not just local, national and international news, but easy access to other CBC stuff, like radio, podcasts, etc.
  • Chrome Browser - for surfing the web
  • Do it (Tomorrow) - mainly grocery shopping lists and things I have to do
  • Facebook - for Facebook, believe it or not
  • Feedly Reader - this is how I read all my RSS feeds... better than Google Reader was
  • Flickr - I upload photos to my Flickr account using this app
  • Gmail - for email
  • Google Drive - for documents, spreadsheets, etc.
  • Google+ - for Google+
  • Hangouts - instant messaging
  • MapMyRide - I measure my bike rides using this app
  • Maps - for maps, driving directions, etc.
  • reddit sync - my preferred app for reading reddit
  • Shazam - for identifying songs I hear in coffee shops, on tv, in stores, etc.
  • Skype - I use Skype daily
  • Songza - great music playlists streamed on-demand
  • Street View on Google Maps - for Google Maps
  • theScore - for sports scores and following my teams
  • TuneIn Radio - whether I'm listening to CBC Radio, indie88, 102.1 or a station London, England, this app is amazing
  • Twitter - for Twitter
  • Voice Search - a must-have Google app for Android
  • YouTube - so my kids can watch music videos and epic rap battles of history

markosaar

I don't see a podcast app?

I like Evernote for syncing notes between my computers and phone, and Dropbox for syncing data & automatically copying my photos to my computer.

I haven't given it much use yet, but GroceryGo supposedly tells you which local store has the cheapest groceries.

I really like Paperland (Pro) for my animated background.

I use Nova Launcher to override the crappy Samsung interface they foist onto the phone. I've seen a lot of people complain about LG's too, might be worth looking into for you.

I use TransitNow to tell me when the street car is coming.

January 13, 2014 @ 10:12 PM

@markosaar

No podcast app these days... I listen to all my podcasts on my laptop while I work.

On my phone, it's all MP3s and radio via the TuneIn app, or maybe Songza.

January 13, 2014 @ 10:52 PM

Argie

@Mike
Is Songza any good? Will I be bombarded with emails if I load it?

Also, you have to have TSN.

BTW, TuneIn is the greatest app ever.

January 14, 2014 @ 8:22 AM

@Argie

Songza is very good. I highly recommend it.

To follow my sports teams, I use theScore app... is the TSN app better?

And yes, TuneIn is amazing.

January 14, 2014 @ 8:46 AM

Gump

Not an Android guy, but next time can you give a quick note about what each app does? Not CBC News but ...

January 14, 2014 @ 9:59 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Good list, I have many of those.

@markosaar

I used to use Google Listen to synch my podcasts with my google reader, it was simple, but very effective...so of course, google stopped supporting it.

So now I use BeyondPod which is far from simple but very powerful with lots of great features and it synchs with my feedly perfectly so I'm happy again.

January 14, 2014 @ 10:07 AM

Al The Royal Pain

BTW, I don't often have many good things to say about anything done by GO Transit...but one thing they got VERY right is their GO Mobile app. I believe they got students Ryerson Uni to help develop it, o perhaps that explains how they didn't mess it up.

January 14, 2014 @ 10:09 AM

@Gump

I just updated this entry to include what the apps do.

January 14, 2014 @ 10:16 AM

Al The Royal Pain

One more great app that I have is called Noom. It's a fitness coach app that allows you to track your weight, waist size, what you eat, and your workouts.

You can use it for free or pay for a premium service. I used it a couple of years ago for free and lost 25 pounds in 6 months.

in case you're wondering, I am in no way affiliated with the app, it just really worked for me and so I tell people about whenever I get a chance.

January 14, 2014 @ 10:20 AM

Al The Royal Pain

It's actually called Noom Coach.

January 14, 2014 @ 10:20 AM

markosaar

@Al. I use Doggcatcher. I just thought it was curious that Mike apparently didn't use any.

January 14, 2014 @ 11:03 AM

Ryan P

I can remember when TuneIn released their app for the BlackBerry Storm 9530(my first personal BlackBerry)...it was so awesome then!

Such an awesome app! Still use it on my Nexus 5.

Mike - do you use Google Maps much? With my solar job I'm travelling a tonne. I use Google Maps so much that I tossed out my Garmin GPS(well...sent it to the graveyard with my BlackBerry's). The interface is as good or better than a GPS unit and best of all its free!

January 14, 2014 @ 4:48 PM