21 Years Later, I Just Had a Simpsons Epiphany

21 Years Later, I Have a Simpsons EpiphanyWhile shovelling snow this morning, I started thinking about The Simpsons episode "The Front", the 19th episode of season four in which Homer attends his Class of 1974 high school reunion.

In this episode, Homer wins several awards, including one for travelling the least distance to be there.

And the person who traveled the least distance to be here-- Well, kiss my grits! - Homer Simpson!

While shovelling snow, I thought this would be far easier to determine today. A program could easily take everyone's home address and determine who lived closest to the high school. But then, it hit me.

Why didn't Homer have to share that award with Marge? Don't they live together? Didn't they travel the identical distance to be at their reunion?

I originally saw this episode on April 15, 1993. That means it took me almost 21 years to have this epiphany. That's got to be some kind of record.

Digger

Episode from 1993 - means the old distant unlovable Homer (with really bad animation and weird voice...I do not think they had established yet in the plot-line the connection from the high school prom - flashback! Kind of wondering now....what you think of when biking?

January 25, 2014 @ 11:21 AM

@Digger

By season 4, the animation was pretty much the way it is today. The bad animation and weird voice was pretty much only a season one thing.

And as I recall, it was for certain they graduated together in 74 from that high school, until this episode unveiled that Homer failed a remedial science course and never actually graduated.

So for sure she was a '74 graduate, and for sure she lived with Homer. So without a doubt, she was screwed out of a share of this award.

p.s. You don't want to know what I think about when biking. And once this polar vortex bullshit clears out, I'll be increasing my distances and creating more time for more thoughts...

January 25, 2014 @ 11:40 AM

Glen

You can't really use logic when it comes to animated TV shows. How many times has Homer been exposed to radiation at the Nuclear Power plant? He should be dead long ago.

It's much like people questioning why the adults can't hear Stewie on Family Guy but don't question a talking dog (Brian).

January 25, 2014 @ 11:48 AM

Corey

Wow. My Simpsons epiphany is that it was my favourite show, I've unintentionally memorized every episode I saw, and would watch repeats endlessly, never getting tired of them, and yet I haven't seen a single new episode in 15 years.

January 25, 2014 @ 12:17 PM

Speysidephil

@Mike
You need to stay home more. Inside. In the basement!

January 25, 2014 @ 12:22 PM

NW

Maybe they were factoring in that Marge slept on the side of the bed that was farther away from the front door in their house on Evergreen Terrace and was thus farther away from the high school reunion than Homer?

January 25, 2014 @ 1:21 PM

markosaar

@Speysidephil,

His mother's home perhaps.

January 25, 2014 @ 2:07 PM

this guest

"...and now please rise
for In the Garden
of Eden by
I. Ron Butterfly."

:- )

January 25, 2014 @ 4:22 PM

Speysidephil

@markosaar

Yep, his Mothers probably best. LOL

January 25, 2014 @ 7:29 PM

Roshan

Almost as phenomenal as the epiphany Homer has in the Simpsons Movie!

January 26, 2014 @ 1:29 AM

Boomer

Isn't it funny how these types of random weird things pop into your head while cutting the grass, shovelling snow, sitting around a fire, in the shower?

January 27, 2014 @ 9:14 AM